ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Knicks Coaching Search Tracker (updated 7/10)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,557

Re: Official Knicks Coaching Search Tracker (updated 7/10) 

Post#341 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 am

WargamesX wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:He got a DUI the day they announced he was playing for the Knicks...... It can’t get worst than that. Also Fiz was a car salesman, he was supposed to help sell us to players and they didn’t bite. I don’t think they get Kidd to chase Giannis and AD. They keep building up a FO full of guys who helped run successful small market teams. Cap manipulation, and draftIng seems to be the goal right now.

you want this guy?

"Sit the (expletive) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (expletive) move," Kidd said, according to NBA.com reporter David Aldridge. The report did not offer further details of what the 13-letter word was.

The argument ultimately led to Frank being reassigned to a reduced role which Kidd described as "doing daily reports."

Lawrence Frank was a stupid idea. They fired the HC of multiple seasons and then hired him to work for Kidd. If anything that situation is a warning not to hire Woodson to be an assistant for a team he use to run.

Kidd wanted Frank in the first place.

• After being hired by the Nets as coach, Kidd wanted to bring in his former coach, Lawrence Frank, as his assistant and mentor.

And it doesn't matter to me how he can to be honest. If you treat someone with zero respect how do you expect to get the most out of your coaches and players. I am all for tough love but he just seems like a bad dude. Great basketball player. But he's created a lot of bad blood in the NBA in terms of getting coaches fired and players traded. And that isn't even touching his off the court stuff.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#342 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am

mpharris36 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

dont get me wrong a like thibs as a coach. I alwasy thought he was the perfect coach for us when Melo was in him prime. Grinding out the defense and just letting Melo be Melo on offense.

I am just not sure if he's the right coach for where our roster is right now. That is just my main concern.

I also want a high tempo modern offense. When I try to find reasons to like Thibs I remember he gets the team to compete for real no matter who is on the floor.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,254

Post#343 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:29 am

"Sit the (expletive) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (expletive) move," Kidd said, according to NBA.com reporter David Aldridge. The report did not offer further details of what the 13-letter word was.
---------------
Anyone figure out what the 13-letter word was?

Collaborative?
Skateboarding?
Dimensionless?
Paleomagnetic?
Disassociated?
Sharpshooters?
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#344 » by aq_ua » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:40 am

Clyde_Style wrote:"Sit the (expletive) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (expletive) move," Kidd said, according to NBA.com reporter David Aldridge. The report did not offer further details of what the 13-letter word was.
---------------

Collaborative?
Skateboarding?
Dimensionless?
Paleomagnetic?
Disassociated?
Sharpshooters?

"Inappropriate". It appears he was quite controlled in his vocabulary despite the emotions of the situations.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,557

Post#345 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 am

Clyde_Style wrote:"Sit the (expletive) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (expletive) move," Kidd said, according to NBA.com reporter David Aldridge. The report did not offer further details of what the 13-letter word was.
---------------

Collaborative?
Skateboarding?
Dimensionless?
Paleomagnetic?
Disassociated?
Sharpshooters?

M*therf*cking
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#346 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 am

mpharris36 wrote:
---------------

Collaborative?
Skateboarding?
Dimensionless?
Paleomagnetic?
Disassociated?
Sharpshooters?

M*therf*cking

knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#347 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 am

Just get it over w/ and hire Penguin already. It's inevitable. it was a done deal before the coaching search b/c they're CAA BFF's

I'd go w/ Kenny, he seems to be the most logical choice for where this team is now
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#348 » by WargamesX » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 am

mpharris36 wrote:
---------------

Collaborative?
Skateboarding?
Dimensionless?
Paleomagnetic?
Disassociated?
Sharpshooters?

M*therf*cking

That’s just locker room talk. He got caught up in the moment and his competitive instinct kicked in.........

Joking aside you know this adds to the chance he is hired. Like messed up stuff is a give in we just need Kidd to produce wins and development. If the HC doesn’t have some sort of surface level personality quirk or favoritism issue we’ll find out later at a worst time.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Post#349 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:41 am

knickstape4ever wrote:Just get it over w/ and hire Penguin already. It's inevitable. it was a done deal before the coaching search b/c they're CAA BFF's

I'd go w/ Kenny, he seems to be the most logical choice for where this team is now

The FO won't select him. Dolan's thinking is why sign a coach who just got rejected by KD and Kyrie? Say goodbye to Kenny unless we decide to continue to tank.
Free Palestine
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#350 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:11 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
Read on Twitter

really good post

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/7/14/21322545/a-history-of-kenny-atkinson-the-only-choice-for-the-knicks-part-2

part 2, good stuff on Atkinson vs. Thibs
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,127

Post#351 » by bleedblue3303 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:30 am

knickstape4ever wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Read on Twitter

really good post

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/7/14/21322545/a-history-of-kenny-atkinson-the-only-choice-for-the-knicks-part-2

its a great read and makes me want Kenny. But the Knicks do not want to rebuild. We want to bring in stars. So I'm not sure they value what he brings to the table.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#352 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

bleedblue3303 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
Read on Twitter

really good post

its a great read and makes me want Kenny. But the Knicks do not want to rebuild. We want to bring in stars. So I'm not sure they value what he brings to the table.

and thats part of the issue: they might want stars but the stars dont want us. they have to focus on building the right way, making this a team that stars see potential in and then hope they come. Brooklyn did it the right way, and who was their coach from the start? Atkinson. and I dont put much weight into the fact that he didn't get along w/ Kyrie/KD, those are 2 of the most fragile stars in the game

the Knicks cant stick to a plan consistently, even when we thought they were rebuilding, they scrapped that plan and pivoted; this organization is in a constant state of flux which is part of why stars dont view this as a viable option
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#353 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:59 am

Taj Gibson has spoken. Thibs is just "misunderstood." Okay.

Looks like Taj wants to make sure he still has a job here. :lol:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/14/tom-thibodeau-remains-knicks-favorite-even-after-jason-kidd-wows-them/

Thibodeau’s ending wasn’t pretty in Minnesota with allegations of failing to connect with some of the team’s young nucleus, but former Wolves big man and current Knick Taj Gibson defended him.

Gibson told The Post on Feb. 13, when Thibodeau’s name first was reported as a potential successor to interim coach Mike Miller, “Since I’ve been here, a lot of those old Knicks players always come up to me and they loved Thibs.

]“He’s been misunderstood. A lot of players have different mindsets. His mindset is winning. To win games you got to go through a lot of hard work. Sometimes young players don’t understand it.’’
Free Palestine
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by aq_ua » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Taj Gibson has spoken. Looks like Taj wants to make sure he still has a job here. :lol:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/14/tom-thibodeau-remains-knicks-favorite-even-after-jason-kidd-wows-them/

Thibodeau’s ending wasn’t pretty in Minnesota with allegations of failing to connect with some of the team’s young nucleus, but former Wolves big man and current Knick Taj Gibson defended him.

Gibson told The Post on Feb. 13, when Thibodeau’s name first was reported as a potential successor to interim coach Mike Miller, “Since I’ve been here, a lot of those old Knicks players always come up to me and they loved Thibs.

“He’s been misunderstood. A lot of players have different mindsets. His mindset is winning. To win games you got to go through a lot of hard work. Sometimes young players don’t understand it.’’

I think it's fair to say there is a type of veteran player that resonates with Thib (all the ex-Bulls seem to love the guy), and the authoritarian style hasn't necessarily disappeared from the NBA (Spoelstra and Pop spring to mind) so there does seem to be a subset of players that still responds positively to that style, young and old.

The problem is that I do not think our roster is comprised with those sorts of players. We continually seem to attract players that think they can just focus on certain aspects of the game that they prefer, and working hard means looking good on social media. That's the mentally weak variety of players that consistently allow teams back into games in the fourth quarter, or fail to execute a play out of a timeout during crunch time. It's also a group of guys that don't like to push each other and prefer playing nice - at least on the surface - and pretend time will fix things.

Accepting that Thibs is the likely path we're on, the roster needs a purging of all the weak minded players, and that means a fairly robust roster churn. Otherwise, we'll head to yet another meltdown type season where players under perform and fans are left wondering why.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#355 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 am

aq_ua wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Taj Gibson has spoken. Looks like Taj wants to make sure he still has a job here. :lol:

“He’s been misunderstood. A lot of players have different mindsets. His mindset is winning. To win games you got to go through a lot of hard work. Sometimes young players don’t understand it.’’

I think it's fair to say there is a type of veteran player that resonates with Thib (all the ex-Bulls seem to love the guy), and the authoritarian style hasn't necessarily disappeared from the NBA (Spoelstra and Pop spring to mind) so there does seem to be a subset of players that still responds positively to that style, young and old.

The problem is that I do not think our roster is comprised with those sorts of players. We continually seem to attract players that think they can just focus on certain aspects of the game that they prefer, and working hard means looking good on social media. That's the mentally weak variety of players that consistently allow teams back into games in the fourth quarter, or fail to execute a play out of a timeout during crunch time. It's also a group of guys that don't like to push each other and prefer playing nice - at least on the surface - and pretend time will fix things.

Accepting that Thibs is the likely path we're on, the roster needs a purging of all the weak minded players, and that means a fairly robust roster churn. Otherwise, we'll head to yet another meltdown type season where players under perform and fans are left wondering why.

Which other successful HC in the NBA do you compare Thibs to in that regard? I'm no expert on the different coaches in the NBA but the Bill Fitch-style of hard ass coaching seems to have faded decades ago. This new breed of player just doesn't respond well to that. This is a guy who used to be both GM and Head Coach and we're going to bring him in - maybe even with an "Asst. HC"? - and ask him to be part of rebuilding process? I dunno. Maybe our FO thinks they'll have the vets we need/want in place in time for Thibs to coach when next season starts but, if that's the case, it's a closely held secret.

From the consensus here, it seems like Leon's done an "A" job of putting together a front office. Hopefully they can keep Dolan out of the decision making process.
Free Palestine
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by aq_ua » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:37 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

Which other successful HC in the NBA do you compare Thibs to in that regard? I'm no expert on the different coaches in the NBA but the Bill Fitch-style of hard ass coaching seems to have faded decades ago. This new breed of player just doesn't respond well to that. This is a guy who used to be both GM and Head Coach and we're going to bring him in - maybe even with an "Asst. HC"? - and ask him to be part of rebuilding process? I dunno. Maybe our FO thinks they'll have the vets we need/want in place in time for Thibs to coach when next season starts but, if that's the case, it's a closely held secret.

From the consensus here, it seems like Leon's done an "A" job of putting together a front office. Hopefully they can keep Dolan out of the decision making process.

Thibs comes from the Riley/Van Gundy tree so I would imagine the comparison would be JVG/SVG or Spoelstra in that regard. I do agree it was a terrible idea to have Thibs be both POBO and coach - I'm not convinced anyone can really do it well. I am guessing he lost a fair amount of credibility during his Wolves period, so hopefully he's learned to listen?

There is certainly a part of me that is trying to rationalize the Thibs hire since it sounds like he's going to be the one. Might take some more time.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#357 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:09 am

aq_ua wrote:

The real question to ask may be can the core players we already have work with an old school coach? For me that is Mitch, RJ and Frank. I'd say all three are capable of that. Others may not include Frank in that list, but the question still applies.

If Randle or other players under contract can't handle that, then they can sit. And the franchise can get players who don't need to be coddled according to this theme that modern players are so damn touchy and need to be coddled like brats who are paid tens of millions of dollars per year.

We still need a coach whom the players respect so that's a two-way street and I'm not advocating for a Bobby Knight personality who will eviscerate the souls of our players. But if it is a coach who demands hard work, intense defensive effort and sacrifice to team play and you can't handle that then I think it can be good for team culture to side with the coach over individual players.

Until we land a Lebron type of talent, there is absolutely no reason to build a team around slurping any kind of diva behavior. Fans may be all about that one star player, but there are only a few players in the NBA at any one time who can carry a team on their back and are thus entitled to have their demands on style of play accommodated by a franchise or coach. 99% of the NBA is made up of moving parts and some of them are All-Stars, but almost none of them should be the sole reason for how a club runs itself.

If we don't build a powerful defensive starting unit, we've effed up again AFAIK. I know we need shooters, but that is a quality that can be found along with defensive effort. And clubs that commit to defense are usually going to have a FO committed to defense, not just a coach. Pat Riley usually finds guys to play defense for Spoelstra. That's a cultural imperative. We need that more than we need to pamper players.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by aq_ua » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:48 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
aq_ua wrote:

The real question to ask may be can the core players we already have work with an old school coach? For me that is Mitch, RJ and Frank. I'd say all three are capable of that. Others may not include Frank in that list, but the question still applies.

If Randle or other players under contract can't handle that, then they can sit. And the franchise can get players who don't need to be coddled according to this theme that modern players are so damn touchy and need to be coddled like brats who are paid tens of millions of dollars per year.

We still need a coach whom the players respect so that's a two-way street and I'm not advocating for a Bobby Knight personality who will eviscerate the souls of our players. But if it is a coach who demands hard work, intense defensive effort and sacrifice to team play and you can't handle that then I think it can be good for team culture to side with the coach over individual players.

Until we land a Lebron type of talent, there is absolutely no reason to build a team around slurping any kind of diva behavior. Fans may be all about that one star player, but there are only a few players in the NBA at any one time who can carry a team on their back and are thus entitled to have their demands on style of play accommodated by a franchise or coach. 99% of the NBA is made up of moving parts and some of them are All-Stars, but almost none of them should be the sole reason for how a club runs itself.

If we don't build a powerful defensive starting unit, we've effed up again AFAIK. I know we need shooters, but that is a quality that can be found along with defensive effort. And clubs that commit to defense are usually going to have a FO committed to defense, not just a coach. Pat Riley usually finds guys to play defense for Spoelstra. That's a cultural imperative. We need that more than we need to pamper players.

You can add Taj to that list, but I agree, that's probably as far as you can get from our roster. Basically, 3/5 to 4/5 of our starting line up and most of our bench needs to be replaced. Then you extrapolate that to this year's draft class. How is a LaMelo or a Wiseman going to work in a Thibs culture? I'm thinking...tough...

I keep going back to the Jerry West school of team building - you keep trying to add talent and realize no one is irreplaceable until you get to a championship caliber team. That means we can't keep throwing away talent without at least trying to develop it first, or at least maximizing it for other assets. The concept of throwing out all the pieces that don't fit with whatever new team identity/culture we're instilling is great - in concept. If it means Randle, DSJ, and Knox all get discarded without compensation, then we've probably done ourselves a disservice in the team building aspect. They need to be able to show production to bring them up to positive value. I do think we need to recognize there needs to be a phased approach to building and we're very much at early stages of this. I hope management is thinking that way as well.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,296

Post#359 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

I see people at Posting and Toasting who will be among the disappointed.

Well, at least the writer known as "bootum"
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#360 » by -YogiBiz- » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Honestly think players like RJ, Mitch, Frank, and Dot would benefit from a Thibs hire. Dot & Frank more so because of their defensive impact. More playing time for those two.

However, I like the idea of Kidd, because he would just put the ball in RJ's hands way more.

Return to New York Knicks