ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 New York Rangers Discussion

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: 2017 New York Rangers Discussion 

Post#101 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 1, 2018 7:38 am

Happy New Year! The Winter Classic is upon us!

Juniors reported Forward Lias Andersson and left handed defenseman Calle Sjalin look really good. Not sure if they get the call up next season. One can only hope. Team needs some youth, size and speed. Both players have all three.

AV threw some shade on Shattenkirk. I don’t know what AV wants out of a guy who is offensively gifted but undersized and prone to get caught too deep in opposing corner leading to odd man rushes.

Rangers are balanced but nothing stands out too prominently. It’ll be interesting to see in he off season If there will be retooling.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,427

Post#102 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jan 1, 2018 1:47 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Happy New Year! The Winter Classic is upon us!

Juniors reported Forward Lias Andersson and left handed defenseman Calle Sjalin look really good. Not sure if they get the call up next season. One can only hope. Team needs some youth, size and speed. Both players have all three.

AV threw some shade on Shattenkirk. I don’t know what AV wants out of a guy who is offensively gifted but undersized and prone to get caught too deep in opposing corner leading to odd man rushes.

Rangers are balanced but nothing stands out too prominently. It’ll be interesting to see in he off season If there will be retooling.

Will be interesting to see if the Rangers pull the trigger on Erik Karlsson. Nash's contract ends this year and Rangers need to get some help at center as well. Maybe NY tries to get Brassard back also. This would mean trading players like Skjei and Miller but who knows if this would make a better team.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#103 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 1, 2018 7:27 pm

I can't see the NY Rangers trading Brady Skjei. He's a 23 year old 6' 3" monster who can block shots. I like JT Miller but he's more of a 3rd line center. I would love Erik Karlsson who played on a broken foot in the playoffs and eliminated the Rangers.

Rick Nash is NOT the player he was 5 years ago but he STILL can create his own shot. Vintage Nash is a turnover in the neutral zone, bum rush towards the opposing goalie for a score.

Nash's $8M per season slot would loook VERY attractive to Tavares but don't think the Isles will allow that to happen.
draftbarnes
Analyst
And1: 1,925

Post#104 » by draftbarnes » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:04 pm

Over Time at citi field

Pretty intersting to see
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:
Guest202 wrote:Didn't he score 30 two weeks ago on 5 of 10 from three?

you can still have good games in the decline, look at kobe's last game in his career
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#105 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:38 pm

Best part of the Rangers win was the disappointment in Pierre's and Milbury's voices....
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#106 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 1, 2018 11:08 pm

Good win for the Rangers at the Winter Classic. Covering 2 units on the overnight killed me, so unhappy that I couldn't muster enough strength to attend.

I SEE, the Rangers NEED Forwards who can um, SCORE.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#107 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:36 am

Rangers in a dog fight against Chicago 2-2 in the 3rd. They just can't seem to pull ahead in these games.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#108 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 4, 2018 3:46 am

2-5 Rangers lost. With 34 tics, Rangers gave up a goal to Patrick Sharp. Rangers pulled the goalie, Blackhawks got 2 empty net goals.

This team is 7th in goals, 7th in goals against, 15th power play, 3rd penalty killing and STILL can’t get it together.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#109 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:53 pm

Bad news. Doctors had to remove a portion of Kreider’s rib. He’s gone for the season.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,981

Post#110 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 6, 2018 9:04 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Bad news. Doctors had to remove a portion of Kreider’s rib. He’s gone for the season.

Yeah that's a big blow to this team, a lot of guys are going to have to step it up. Rangers are going to face an interesting problem with Grabner now, they're gonna need his scoring more than ever, yet his expiring cheap contract could be valuable.

Lias Andersson in the news for throwing his silver medal into the crowd.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Jan 7, 2018 2:53 pm

Rangers played down to their opponent the Coyotes and were lucky to get two points. Hank stood on his head and single-handedly won this game.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#112 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 7, 2018 5:43 pm

Lias Anderson reminded me of the throw back athlete who was hyper competitive and never took losing well.

As much as I appreciated Grabner’s play, if the Rangers can pull off another heist as they did trading Stepan, I say go for it.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Jan 7, 2018 8:47 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Lias Anderson reminded me of the throw back athlete who was hyper competitive and never took losing well.

As much as I appreciated Grabner’s play, if the Rangers can pull off another heist as they did trading Stepan, I say go for it.

Rumor is going around about Evander Kane in Buffalo being available...
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Jan 7, 2018 10:18 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Lias Anderson reminded me of the throw back athlete who was hyper competitive and never took losing well.

Rumor is going around about Evander Kane in Buffalo being available...

He's expiring and would probably give our offense a shot in the arm. I know his time with the Jets he had his problems, not sure how he's viewed in Buffalo at this point. If the price ain't that high, he might be a good target if we're buyers.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#115 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:45 am

Evander Kane won his case. I think he would do very well in New York.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#116 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 8, 2018 9:12 am

Rangers drop to the LV Knights 1-2. Brendan Smith and Buchnevich were a healthy scratch. Plavelec in goal.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 8, 2018 3:29 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers drop to the LV Knights 1-2. Brendan Smith and Buchnevich were a healthy scratch. Plavelec in goal.

They were getting a ton of pressure on Fleurry in the third, but he just had one of those games in which he turned back the clock. Buchnevich being a healthy scratch obviously doesn't sit well for me, especially when we're lacking any sort of offensive punch right now. With that being said, the Knights are playing lights out this year and even better at home.

We got some divisional games coming up, we need to beat up on the bottom feeders before we hit the road.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#118 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jan 8, 2018 4:47 pm

Rick Nash has not scored since mid-December. I know he's had some bad luck, but this is really sad.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#119 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 8, 2018 8:55 pm

Yeah Nash has an 8 game drought but keep in mind, he's a 33 year old power forward who no longer has the speed and strength to bully his way to the net for a goal. That said, he can STILL create his own shot as he often does by creating a turnover at the neutral zone then charging towards the net. Problem is, age means you are a millisecond short on the reflexes.

I heard there are those in the front office who are not a fan of Buchnevich, favoring Euros over Russians and I wonder if there's more politics involved because Hank has gotten coaches fired before and we know no love lost between Swedes and Russians.

Rangers have a break before facing the Islanders. I think the next 10 games will measure which direction this franchise will go. I think they NEED to start investing in some hot young talent.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#120 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jan 9, 2018 2:36 pm

How does everyone feel about Tyler Bozak? Seems the Rangers want to make a low level trade for Bozak to be the Center for the 3rd line, allowing JT Miller to go back to wing, and sending Fast to the 4th line.

Let me re-iterate that the Rangers NEED to trade Grabner by the midway point for a top draft pick. They can do it, especially if Stepan netted them the #7 pick.

Return to New York Knicks