ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking ahead: Possible Cap Space for 2018 Free Agency

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,900

Re: Looking ahead: Possible Cap Space for 2018 Free Agency 

Post#101 » by Buttah304 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:i agree

im so much more interested in players like that at this stage

clearly we need a SF however and tinny tim is taking up a ton of cap at the 2

I kinda hate him but Jeff Green might work
Wilson Chandler would be great if he could stay healthy

All also unrestricted free agents:

Omar Caspi
Trevor Ariza
Thad Young
Jabari Parker

Avery Bradley would be a perfect fit on this team, A backcourt of him and Frank would be tremendous defensively, and he fits the age profile. A 3 guard rotation with Timmy coming off the bench would be nice. I wonder how much it would take to sign him and do we have the cap space?

Timmy is the problem
We've committed to much to him already at the two

It's almost impossible to imagine a signing another free-agent shooting guard at Meijer cash with Timmy on the roster

Timmy is NOT the problem. He is a 25 year old who is steadily improving even though he is way too trigger happy. A 25 year old SG who is averaging 18-4-3 with 2.5 3's per game and 1.4 SPG is not what I would call hurting our cap flexibility. In fact in today's pace and space NBA he is one of the only attacking guards that we have and he has made so many great plays off rebounds by pushing the ball up the court, hitting trailers and throwing strong outlet passes.

OUR problem is that we committed $19 Million Dollars to Joakim Noah who is 32 Years Old and completely worn down, broken and is 1 injury away from calling it a career. In addition to that we are paying Courtney Lee $13 Million who is also 32 Years Old. While Lee has been an excellent veteran for the team, and somebody who bring us stability for the younger players his window makes absolutely no sense for this roster. While we are at it can be PLEASE acknowledge that we are paying **** Ron Baker and Lance Thomas a combined $12 Million.

Also - lets not hide from the fact that Phil wanted another **** 31 Year Old in George Hill to play the Triangle who has looked like absolute garbage all year.

So no, THJ is NOT the problem. Our issue is committing long term contracts to players on the wrong side of 30 (Noah and Lee) and throwing ludicrous money to end of the rotation type of players in Baker and Lance.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,847

Post#102 » by BowlRips » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
BowlRips wrote:Forget 2018. 2019 is the year. Kanter off the books, Noah will have 1 year remaining and hopefully be medically retired by then. Lance's 7mil is not guaranteed. Lee will be a 13mil expiring. Could be looking at 60mil in cap space.

Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard will be UFA.

If KP extends this summer, doesn't his max kick in that year? So subtract $20 million from that cap space.

I have 17mil in that number for his cap hold
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,887

Post#103 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 am

Buttah304 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:
Avery Bradley would be a perfect fit on this team, A backcourt of him and Frank would be tremendous defensively, and he fits the age profile. A 3 guard rotation with Timmy coming off the bench would be nice. I wonder how much it would take to sign him and do we have the cap space?

Timmy is the problem
We've committed to much to him already at the two

It's almost impossible to imagine a signing another free-agent shooting guard at Meijer cash with Timmy on the roster

Timmy is NOT the problem. He is a 25 year old who is steadily improving even though he is way too trigger happy. A 25 year old SG who is averaging 18-4-3 with 2.5 3's per game and 1.4 SPG is not what I would call hurting our cap flexibility. In fact in today's pace and space NBA he is one of the only attacking guards that we have and he has made so many great plays off rebounds by pushing the ball up the court, hitting trailers and throwing strong outlet passes.

OUR problem is that we committed $19 Million Dollars to Joakim Noah who is 32 Years Old and completely worn down, broken and is 1 injury away from calling it a career. In addition to that we are paying Courtney Lee $13 Million who is also 32 Years Old. While Lee has been an excellent veteran for the team, and somebody who bring us stability for the younger players his window makes absolutely no sense for this roster. While we are at it can be PLEASE acknowledge that we are paying **** Ron Baker and Lance Thomas a combined $12 Million.

Also - lets not hide from the fact that Phil wanted another **** 31 Year Old in George Hill to play the Triangle who has looked like absolute garbage all year.

So no, THJ is NOT the problem. Our issue is committing long term contracts to players on the wrong side of 30 (Noah and Lee) and throwing ludicrous money to end of the rotation type of players in Baker and Lance.

Noah would be the problem if we were talking about another center

We're not

We're talking about Avery Bradley.
Who is a sg
Like Timmy

Thus the problem

I thought that much was clear

So if we give a major contract to Bradley - along the lines of what we have hardaway - we're looking at 34 mil tied up in 2 players at the same position
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,462

Post#104 » by whocurrz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 am

I am a Warriors fan but been adopting Knicks as one of my teams to track for the last few years. Posted this in the sticky FA/ trade thread:

Unless they can get some elite FA I think they should sit on any cap space and wait it out until 2019 and make Kemba a big target. Kemba And KP pick and pop/ roll would be deadly and Frank has ability to play SG/PG minutes. You guys can dump Probably move Lee pretty easily with the SG climate and his contract and if Kemba shows strong interest, using a pick (which would likely be a later pick around the 20s) to dump Noah won’t be a huge deal. Kemba will still be in his prime (been steadily improving which shows a good work ethic) and your team is trendin up while Charlotte is middling at best. Plus he’s an NY dude and got an alpha mentality to hit big shots but isn’t a ball hog. I know Frank is supposed to be the PG of the future but I’d go after a Kemba/ Frank backcourt in a heartbeat over Frank/ most SGs.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,943

Post#105 » by KnixinSix » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am

whocurrz wrote:I am a Warriors fan but been adopting Knicks as one of my teams to track for the last few years. Posted this in the sticky FA/ trade thread:

Unless they can get some elite FA I think they should sit on any cap space and wait it out until 2019 and make Kemba a big target. Kemba And KP pick and pop/ roll would be deadly and Frank has ability to play SG/PG minutes. You guys can dump Probably move Lee pretty easily with the SG climate and his contract and if Kemba shows strong interest, using a pick (which would likely be a later pick around the 20s) to dump Noah won’t be a huge deal. Kemba will still be in his prime (been steadily improving which shows a good work ethic) and your team is trendin up while Charlotte is middling at best. Plus he’s an NY dude and got an alpha mentality to hit big shots but isn’t a ball hog. I know Frank is supposed to be the PG of the future but I’d go after a Kemba/ Frank backcourt in a heartbeat over Frank/ most SGs.

Interesting , I just think if the goal is championship we need to get the best of the best. I think with Kemba this could be a serious contender. But cousins and George or Lebron, are 3 do it all players who could make this team even better than with Kemba (though I love Kemba).
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#106 » by FutureKnicksGM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

Keep the books clear for 2021. If we sign anyone with cap before then make sure only deals that expire for 2021.

Giannis/AD/Rudy/Beal/CJ/Adams/Drummond/Porter are all free agents who fit our timeline, plus Dame too.

2020 we would have the money, but no one worth while to spend it on.

2019 is possible but need to move/stretch some money with only Kemba a potential option imo.

2018 I do hope we offer Patrick McCaw a deal with our MLE. He's a RFA, but i doubt GS keep him with Klay looking for his max deal the year after. Does a little bit of everything, can play both ends, should be able to cover most 3's.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,543

Post#107 » by Grinditout » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Kemba/Frank/KP trio would be sweet

Return to New York Knicks