ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE

Poll ended at Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:05 pm

Tyrell Terry
11%
RJ Hampton
31%
Aaron Nesmith
31%
Tyrese Maxey
3%
Theo Maledon
3%
Precious Achiuwa
11%
Patrick Williams
3%
Other (Write in comments)
6%

Total votes: 35

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,894

Re: NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #14 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE 

Post#101 » by HEZI » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:11 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

The way Virginia plays (I watch a ton of them). They limit positions and believe defensive first. THey have no high pace offensive system so they suppress there talent for playing low scoring low possession games. Its the same reason Malcolm Brogden slipped under the radar as well.

Its the way Tony Bennett coaches.

Brogdon still averaged 18 PPG on 13 shots a game and over 5 threes a game and really high usage rate. Joe wasn't being held back by the system.

I mean that wasn't until his senior year. And you Joe Harris junior year he avg over 16 ppg because he took nearly 12 shots per game instead of his 9 his senior year. His numbers were absolutely suppressed for the style they played.

No not really. It's called having talent around you.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,851

Post#102 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:12 pm

robillionaire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:basically I'm less likely to buy into a shot alone as I am other intangibles and abilities that you can count on that are more certain

don't you agree that in todays NBA shooting and not just sit in the corner until I get passed it shooting. I'm talking about a consistent outside shooting threat from different areas and off movement more valuable than a rim runner in todays NBA?

Yes. I just think if you take both to their worst case scenario wiseman still has more physical tools that he would be certain to be able to fall back on to at least still be a solid player on the level of mitch or whiteside and similar, maybe a letdown but still a solid center, while at the Nesmith worst case I detailed where he’s not the elite shooter that is expected, is he even an nba player? and then if you take both to their best case scenario (wiseman as AD 2.0, I don’t really think that this will happen though, and Nesmith as joe Harris) one is a superstar and the other is an elite role player. So basically the floor and ceiling are both higher. I just think shooting percentages in NCAA are fickle. We saw for example Mikal shoot 43% in college and shoot consistently well for 4 years but then the shot crater in the NBA making him a bust pick. But even he could fall back on a good reputation for defense. I’m not sure what else Nesmith does on the chance he has a similar predicament

so I agree with you. I am not suggesting taking Nesmith over Wiseman. That would be silly talk. I'm talking about choosing Nesmith as a late lottery pick where you are lucky to get a good rotational at that spot over someone shooting for the stars at a low % someone like Hampton actually reaches his ceiling.

My argument is that people saying Nesmith is one dimensional its arguably the most important skill in todays NBA and it doesn't strictly come stationary. We are talking about an elite movement shooter with great size and length.
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#103 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:17 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Brogdon still averaged 18 PPG on 13 shots a game and over 5 threes a game and really high usage rate. Joe wasn't being held back by the system.

I mean that wasn't until his senior year. And you Joe Harris junior year he avg over 16 ppg because he took nearly 12 shots per game instead of his 9 his senior year. His numbers were absolutely suppressed for the style they played.

No not really. It's called having talent around you.

my guy in the 4 years he was in Virginia they were ranked 303rd, 274th, 242nd, and 274th in offense per game.

That is out of 340ish division 1 NCAA basketball teams. They play one of the slowest paces in college bball. Those are absolute facts. It wasn't just because Joe Harris couldn't get off more shots. Its the style of play.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,217

Post#104 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#105 » by robillionaire » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
don't you agree that in todays NBA shooting and not just sit in the corner until I get passed it shooting. I'm talking about a consistent outside shooting threat from different areas and off movement more valuable than a rim runner in todays NBA?

Yes. I just think if you take both to their worst case scenario wiseman still has more physical tools that he would be certain to be able to fall back on to at least still be a solid player on the level of mitch or whiteside and similar, maybe a letdown but still a solid center, while at the Nesmith worst case I detailed where he’s not the elite shooter that is expected, is he even an nba player? and then if you take both to their best case scenario (wiseman as AD 2.0, I don’t really think that this will happen though, and Nesmith as joe Harris) one is a superstar and the other is an elite role player. So basically the floor and ceiling are both higher. I just think shooting percentages in NCAA are fickle. We saw for example Mikal shoot 43% in college and shoot consistently well for 4 years but then the shot crater in the NBA making him a bust pick. But even he could fall back on a good reputation for defense. I’m not sure what else Nesmith does on the chance he has a similar predicament

so I agree with you. I am not suggesting taking Nesmith over Wiseman. That would be silly talk. I'm talking about choosing Nesmith as a late lottery pick where you are lucky to get a good rotational at that spot over someone shooting for the stars at a low % someone like Hampton actually reaches his ceiling.

My argument is that people saying Nesmith is one dimensional its arguably the most important skill in todays NBA and it doesn't strictly come stationary. We are talking about an elite movement shooter with great size and length.

That’s a fair point. I guess if there was one aspect of someone’s game that could change for better or for worse, I’d say it’s shooting. We have watched players dramatically improve as well as fall off a cliff. And again this is 14 games. So it’s not something I count on as certain as much as other skills players possess that you can’t teach. I would prefer the great shooting come as a bonus to other skills. Shooting as the only skill is a little scary to me because I think you have a higher bust potential.

I’m not entirely against the idea of taking Nesmith especially the knicks who need shooters, but I just don’t have him quite this high on my board and consider it to be a higher risk with a lower reward/value potential and would prefer to take him late teens or even 20s instead of the lottery. That’s just me though. He could turn out to be one of the best shooters in the league and a great pick but it’s a gamble

Also we have witnessed many stars drafted in the 10-15 range so I definitely wouldn’t discount that possibility with any of them
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#106 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:30 pm

robillionaire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

That’s a fair point. I guess if there was one aspect of someone’s game that could change for better or for worse, I’d say it’s shooting. We have watched players dramatically improve as well as fall off a cliff. And again this is 14 games. So it’s not something I count on as certain as much as other skills players possess that you can’t teach. I would prefer the great shooting come as a bonus to other skills. Shooting as the only skill is a little scary to me because I think you have a higher bust potential.

I’m not entirely against the idea of taking Nesmith especially the knicks who need shooters, but I just don’t have him quite this high on my board and consider it to be a higher risk with a lower reward/value potential and would prefer to take him late teens or even 20s instead of the lottery. That’s just me though. He could turn out to be one of the best shooters in the league and a great pick but it’s a gamble

Also we have witnessed many stars drafted in the 10-15 range so I definitely wouldn’t discount that possibility with any of them

And I am of that same sentiment as well. The easiest skill to improve is stationary shooting with hard work. But usually the prospects that I target in that area would be Okoro or someone like that who is elite defensively and also has some other good qualities as well. Like I might buy him getting a better shot to augment other strengths. RJ Hampton really doesn't give me strong playmaking vibez or really plus defensive player vibez either. I guess his ceiling is that he could eventually become a jack of all trades guy.

But who knows...we are all taking educated guesses with the info we have.

ROSTER

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#107 » by robillionaire » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:31 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

And I am of that same sentiment as well. The easiest skill to translate is stationary shooting for hard work. But usually the prospects that I target in that area would be Okoro or someone like that who is elite defensively and also has some other good qualities as well. Like I might buy him getting a better shot to augment other strengths. RJ Hampton really doesn't give me strong playmaking vibez or really plus defensive player vibez either. I guess his ceiling is that he could eventually become a jack of all trades guy.

But who knows...we are all taking educated guesses with the info we have.

Pretty much. This draft is a crapshoot, biggest mysteries in nba draft history
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#108 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:38 pm

still want to know how you guys want to handle this tie...just do a nesmith vs hampton or just take both off the board?

As we start getting later we probably will start seeing more ties.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#109 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:49 pm

mpharris36 wrote:still want to know how you guys want to handle this tie...just do a nesmith vs hampton or just take both off the board?

As we start getting later we probably will start seeing more ties.

Nesmith vs Hampton like the last time
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,541

Post#110 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:54 pm

wiseman
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#111 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:56 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:wiseman

Return to New York Knicks