ImageImageImageImageImage

Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson - Pg 97-8 - Block Ness Monster catching on

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Re: Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson welcome to the block party 

Post#1181 » by cheese318 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 am

stuporman wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
stuporman wrote:
They are inferior talent... to his talent. G-League is even more inferior talent to what he will have faced in SL....maybe a bit more structure but less talent.

He'd get more structure than G-League in the NBA plus he'd be coaches up by the pros and compete against the pros.

I don't know why it's such a strange idea to have him play against talent that matches his own and let him learn from his mistakes against that talent.

G-League got guys like Trey Burke on rosters. It's not inferior talent. It might be equal, but the players in the G-League are a lot stronger than the pups you see in Summer League.

It's one thing to learn from other NBA players. It's another thing to impair the development of other players because of forcing Mitch to go through his struggles. See the post before yours

On each of the summer league rosters there are like 2 or 3 guys who will be on NBA rosters but there might be a handful of players in the whole G-League that get onto an NBA roster.

Just because you can name one of the few players that make it from the G-League doesn't prove that there is equal talent between the two leagues.

I get the fact he is saying some of the guys coming out of college are not prepared physically/mentally to go against veterans trying to grind out an NBA roster spot. But regardless like you said there’s pros on every team in summer league and a lot more than you would see on a regular season G LEAGUE matchup.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: RE: Re: Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson welcome to the block party 

Post#1182 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:32 am

stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:A lottery pick big man shows out in SL and people say he's ready to be on an NBA roster, Mitch shows out with even more impressive stats... oh, he needs G-League.

So, all those other players who have been on the court all season long are ready but Mitch not playing competitively in 14 months yet outplays them isn't? FOH

He was impressive. Individually he did well, and I doubt anyone would disagree. He showed his gifted talents. That was actually expected. He was a top prospect at one time.

But SL play really isn't a gauge to determine a teams NBA roster on. The team themselves even mentioned this. 4-5 games hasn't really changed anything. He still needs a lot of work.

I think some of you find the words G-League as some form of disrespect, when used correctly it's far from that. it would be perfect for him because he could get alot of reps in with a similar team structure, but knowing he wont be perfmanently down there..

So you quote me and then don't actually address my point? Ok... that makes sense.

I guess all the other lottery bigs need to be in GLeague, too, right?
I seriously doubt teams are basing their NBA rosters on SL performance. For instance, Knox didn't even play in the last game, yet Mitchell did. That should tell you all you need to know.

SL plays isn't guaged that much.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#1183 » by stuporman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:He was impressive. Individually he did well, and I doubt anyone would disagree. He showed his gifted talents. That was actually expected. He was a top prospect at one time.

But SL play really isn't a gauge to determine a teams NBA roster on. The team themselves even mentioned this. 4-5 games hasn't really changed anything. He still needs a lot of work.

I think some of you find the words G-League as some form of disrespect, when used correctly it's far from that. it would be perfect for him because he could get alot of reps in with a similar team structure, but knowing he wont be perfmanently down there..

So you quote me and then don't actually address my point? Ok... that makes sense.

I seriously doubt teams are basing their NBA rosters on SL performance. For instance, Knox didn't even play in the last game, yet Mitchell did. That should tell you all you need to know.

I never said teams are basing their rosters on SL, that's a straw man argument that doesn't disprove what I said just proves you still haven't addressed what I said.

I only pointed out the illogical reasoning of how people have no problem accepting of lottery pick players being on an NBA roster but want to send Mitch to G-League even though he outperformed those lottery pick players.

Care to address that?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson welcome to the block party 

Post#1184 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:47 am

stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:

I never said teams are basing their rosters on SL, that's a straw man argument that doesn't disprove what I said just proves you still haven't addressed what I said.

I only pointed out the illogical reasoning of how people have no problem accepting of lottery pick players being on an NBA roster but want to send Mitch to G-League even though he outperformed those lottery pick players.

Care to address that?
I think the real issue is your basing SL performance as outperforming, it's SL man, temper down.

Mitchell didn't even play against any of the guys you're comparing him to. I think Mitchell will see G league time because he needs reps and certainly needs to get stronger.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#1185 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:13 am

stuporman wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
stuporman wrote:
They are inferior talent... to his talent. G-League is even more inferior talent to what he will have faced in SL....maybe a bit more structure but less talent.

He'd get more structure than G-League in the NBA plus he'd be coaches up by the pros and compete against the pros.

I don't know why it's such a strange idea to have him play against talent that matches his own and let him learn from his mistakes against that talent.

G-League got guys like Trey Burke on rosters. It's not inferior talent. It might be equal, but the players in the G-League are a lot stronger than the pups you see in Summer League.

It's one thing to learn from other NBA players. It's another thing to impair the development of other players because of forcing Mitch to go through his struggles. See the post before yours

On each of the summer league rosters there are like 2 or 3 guys who will be on NBA rosters but there might be a handful of players in the whole G-League that get onto an NBA roster.

Just because you can name one of the few players that make it from the G-League doesn't prove that there is equal talent between the two leagues.

maybe not equal talent, but the disparity isn't as wide as it once was because a lot of those players in the G-League ended up on the summer league roster this year.

Now the leap from Summer League to NBA action is huge.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#1186 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:17 am

stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Care to address that?

If you're basing outperformance based on statistics alone, then I think we've got a long ways to go to reconcile our differences :lol:

And we didn't even face Ayton, Bamba, JJJ, Bagley, Carter, or any of the other legit bigs in Summer League. I don't know how we can claim Mitch "outperformed" them
RealGM
And1: 39,319

Post#1187 » by 2010 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 am

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
stuporman
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson welcome to the block party 

Post#1188 » by stuporman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:31 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I seriously doubt teams are basing their NBA rosters on SL performance. For instance, Knox didn't even play in the last game, yet Mitchell did. That should tell you all you need to know.

Care to address that?
I think the real issue is your basing SL performance as outperforming, it's SL man, temper down.

Mitchell didn't even play against any of the guys you're comparing him to. I think Mitchell will see G league time because he needs reps and certainly needs to get stronger.

Now the "issue" is basing the outperforming on the performance in SL? Um.... ok.... yea, I'm basing my idea of outperforming on the performance in SL.... the same game play the others and you are basing your belief on.

Out of the lottery bigs Mitch and Ayton were virtually identical statistically with Carter being pretty similar to those two. My point is why are people accepting of those two lottery big being on an NBA roster yet Mitch needs the G. Explain what exactly did you see that convinced you of it.

The idea that he didn't have any head to head with the other lottery bigs mean something is not as significant as some wish it to be. The step up to the actual NBA where every game it's a top quality opponent is what all of these lottery kids need to take on and prove it.

I think he proved to be a man among boys in SL, he needs to go on to play with the biggest and best now. He's ready to compete let him grow up in the league.
Image?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,207

Post#1189 » by Capn'O » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:37 am

Wtf happened here today? Did his ass get a timeout :lol:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
stuporman
RealGM

Post#1190 » by stuporman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:41 am

Phish Tank wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I seriously doubt teams are basing their NBA rosters on SL performance. For instance, Knox didn't even play in the last game, yet Mitchell did. That should tell you all you need to know.

Care to address that?

If you're basing outperformance based on statistics alone, then I think we've got a long ways to go to reconcile our differences :lol:

And we didn't even face Ayton, Bamba, JJJ, Bagley, Carter, or any of the other legit bigs in Summer League. I don't know how we can claim Mitch "outperformed" them

Trying to ride on on Thugger's coattails in tedious, I'm not going to explain it twice.

Consider all the competitive basketball they played that he didn't in the past 14mos yet he went in there beasting with the best of them.

Now he's finally going to get coached up professionally really for the first time by Fiz and his staff.

He will play in MSG and you will like it. :lol:
Image?
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#1191 » by awy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 am

hire a player development coach and dont let him coach your super upside, raw player is not ideal.

if he picks up things fast he can just work on his game at the nba level.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,608

Post#1192 » by Fat Kat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:14 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,027

Post#1193 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

MSG should do the right thing and send MRob's old agent a cheque.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,405

Post#1194 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am

We can thank his former agent for pulling him from the combine. He wouldn't have become a Knick if he had gone.
ImageImageImage
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#1195 » by Adelheid » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 am

Nevertheless, he is being paid like a late first rounder so its not that bad. Though he could be higher than that.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#1196 » by FemaleDogPlease » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Hard to say. Could be his new agent is spotting him cash until the season starts .
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#1197 » by denterprise » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Lakers may have cost this agent his job. An agent will hold their client out of workouts if they receive a promise from a team. Teams generally don't go back on their word. Agents better take note about the Lakers and their word.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1198 » by IllmaticHandler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Listen if Jarett Allen did not have to go to the G league for his first year then Mitchell damn sure dont. Anyone talking G League is Fluff. The Nets Knew exactly how to bring Allen Along, and he was just as weak and raw as Mitchell. They brought him along slowly, and by mid season was the starter for them. If the Nets can figure that out. So should we. It was a bunch of G league talk ,but he was with the team 100% of the year getting reps and developing with the club.

Everyone thought he’d spend time in the G-League, but as the season got closer, Allen revealed to Anthony Puccio that no, no one had talked to him about Long Island. The die was set: the Nets were going to throw him into the NBA fire.

“I defied some people’s expectations,” Allen told Basketball Insiders. “A lot of people thought I was going to be a G-League guy, and that they were going to have to develop me before I’d be ready to play at the NBA level, but I came in and played well enough to be a starter. I’m playing starter’s minutes now and putting up pretty good numbers. I think I’m doing pretty well.”

The Bolded is exactly what Fiz wants to do as well imo.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#1199 » by blanko » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:23 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Listen if Jarett Allen did not have to go to the G league for his first year then Mitchell damn sure dont. Anyone talking G League is Fluff. The Nets Knew exactly how to bring Allen Along, and he was just as weak and raw as Mitchell. They brought him along slowly, and by mid season was the starter for them. If the Nets can figure that out. So should we. It was a bunch of G league talk ,but he was with the team 100% of the year getting reps and developing with the club.

Everyone thought he’d spend time in the G-League, but as the season got closer, Allen revealed to Anthony Puccio that no, no one had talked to him about Long Island. The die was set: the Nets were going to throw him into the NBA fire.

“I defied some people’s expectations,” Allen told Basketball Insiders. “A lot of people thought I was going to be a G-League guy, and that they were going to have to develop me before I’d be ready to play at the NBA level, but I came in and played well enough to be a starter. I’m playing starter’s minutes now and putting up pretty good numbers. I think I’m doing pretty well.”

Allen played ball in college

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1200 » by IllmaticHandler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm

blanko wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:Listen if Jarett Allen did not have to go to the G league for his first year then Mitchell damn sure dont. Anyone talking G League is Fluff. The Nets Knew exactly how to bring Allen Along, and he was just as weak and raw as Mitchell. They brought him along slowly, and by mid season was the starter for them. If the Nets can figure that out. So should we. It was a bunch of G league talk ,but he was with the team 100% of the year getting reps and developing with the club.

Allen played ball in college

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

I would not give a fucck if he played in europe. There is no difference between the two. I saw both and Mitchell is actually ahead of Allen at the same times before the season started.

Return to New York Knicks