ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: so r kelly huh?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, HerSports85, Capn'O, dakomish23, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: OT: so r kelly huh? 

Post#121 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Jan 6, 2019 8:31 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Bno everything is all good, I see both sides of the fence. It’s a touchy subject and requires a real in depth conversation.

My responses in here early on were more of a result of being upset that the music I knew all my life I’m told now I can’t listen to. As someone that is aspiring to be involved in audio engineering & just loves music, it’s a tough pill to swallow.

I fight so hard for artistry and I’m big on music being expressed no matter who the human being is.

I completely understand why someone would condemn others for listening to a predator, I get it.

i like it. on both sides. this is much appreciated. thumbs up.

this is a very hard conversation and i'm glad we're having it.

again... no one should be made to feel bad for enjoying the work of a predator/bad person/etc. the list of great artists who are predators is unfortunately extremely long. we don't control what we like artistically. but our conversation about how to handle this is one that needs to continue. and, no. we won't all agree.

First off well said by both you guys. This is a tough conversation to have especially on a forum that consists of all types and opinions. My opinion simply resides that there should be a separation from an artists work and their personal life. R Kelly is one of the most talented r&b singers of all time. Although I think he is a horrible person for the choices made in his personal life it doesnt necessarily taint his musical gifts he gave me as a youngster.

Spoiler:
I will say that I might not prefer to listen to his music if he abused someone close to me as I could easily see it being bothersome.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,726

Post#122 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 6, 2019 8:37 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Nobody rails on Dot around here. Nobody says Kobe should be erased from NBA history. Nobody even gets at Lance Stephenson because we are basketball fans

all false. i have seen all three condemned by members of the knicks forum.

Release the threads. There isn't the outcry. I would particularly like to see where somebody argues that Kobe should be erased from history.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,542

Post#123 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jan 6, 2019 9:22 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Nobody rails on Dot around here. Nobody says Kobe should be erased from NBA history. Nobody even gets at Lance Stephenson because we are basketball fans

Release the threads. There isn't the outcry. I would particularly like to see where somebody argues that Kobe should be erased from history.

i'm not doing a search. you made a big blanket claim that i know to be inaccurate. there are other ways to make your point.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#124 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jan 6, 2019 9:24 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Galou wrote:You got damn right. Thats a women's domain.
I can do that myself B

Word

Thugger? The hell? Keep it gully B

:rofl:

Sorry. My wife don't like getting clawed, I like wearing sandals. I'm gonna always let the pros handle the hands and feet.

Spoiler:
I've actually posted a pic of myself. Nobody can question my manhood. :lol:

I still think (BnO?) dubbing you "The Boderator" was the best thing to come out of that thread. This further seals that deal.

not to derail, but i need to see this thread.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#125 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jan 6, 2019 9:41 pm

kane2021 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
kane2021 wrote:I don’t condone this stuff at all. In fact I hate it. But the truth is this. You might as well cut the entire music industry off. This stuff has been and continues to go on. It’s deep. To the labels. The distribution and marketing companies. The radio stations. The music tv stations. The cable providers. I hear you 100% when you say you’re no longer supporting an artist due to this type of behavior. But EVERYONE making money off it is guilty. That’s something I feel incredibly strong about. All the way down to the record store. You making money of it, you’re guilty too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

your macro point is a good one. but does it negate the responsibility to do better when you know better?

r. kelly shouldn't have a record contract. the public shouldn't continue to support him. but both are the case.

i know he wouldn't be in my record label and i wouldn't sell his music in my record store. i wouldn't put him on my cable channel either. and yes, all are complict in supporting him.

still doesn't mean we as individuals shouldn't do our part with what we know.

I think the biggest difference between us as individuals, and the manufacturers and distributors, is we the individuals maybe guilty of helping financially support it. But we are not guilty of profiting from it. To me that’s the biggest difference. That’s where I get a little passionate.

Let’s change the perspective real quick for the sake of conversation. Let’s say it’s a drug distribution ring. And they get caught. The users are funding it. However it’s not them who goes down in the big bust. It’s the ones who were profiting that go down. From the main guy all the way down to the kid who made 50 bucks for moving something from point a to point b.

But for some reason, the same rules, (rules probably isn’t the right word) don’t apply to a situation like this. That’s what I don’t get because to me there’s really no difference. It’s a criminal act that a broad spectrum of people profit from. Yet only one person who profits is held responsible.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

i gave this a lot of thought, kane. i get the parallel with the drug game. but i don't see an equivalency.

drugs are a far less elastic commodity than r. kelly's music. i know people in lifelong struggles with drugs. can't quit no matter how much they want to. i wouldn't disrespect that plight by comparing it with an unwillingness to stop stepping in the name of love or bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.

the greater point remains that more are guilty than the artist/dealer alone. but when i point to the buyer/listener, i know that one buyer is much more likely to be an addict than the other who can listen to something else.

also, r. kelly's musical performance is not an illegal act. the industry is complicit in helping him have money. but r. kelly could be a child predator working at the post office if he so chose. the music industry is full of amoral, corrupt mfs who shouldn't work with people like r. kelly. but that's not the same as being caught up in a RICO. maybe if they were distributing sex tapes.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#126 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jan 6, 2019 9:58 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote: :rofl:

Sorry. My wife don't like getting clawed, I like wearing sandals. I'm gonna always let the pros handle the hands and feet.

Spoiler:
I've actually posted a pic of myself. Nobody can question my manhood. :lol:

I still think (BnO?) dubbing you "The Boderator" was the best thing to come out of that thread. This further seals that deal.

not to derail, but i need to see this thread.

Open the door in the office, sir.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#127 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:16 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i'm not doing a search. you made a big blanket claim that i know to be inaccurate. there are other ways to make your point.
If it were fundamentally untrue it would be easily disproven. There's a thread on everything important here.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,484

Post#128 » by N Y K » Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:26 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:
Orange21 wrote:lol I get it, I know who you are. It’s been established already. Say no more, enjoy 12 play.

If Hitler liked pizza and you like pizza, does that make you a nazi?

A more equivalent example would be 'If Hitler had a pizza place, and you loved it, and then he turned out to do those terrible things, are you a nazi for liking his pizza?

Hmmm... a more equivalent example would be if you enjoyed Mein Kampf today.
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,707

Post#129 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:50 am

I remember as a teen knowing about this, and R.Kelly was the guy that helped coin the term "12 and over, bend 'em over"....everybody knew wtf was going on, it was a hot topic for a minute but died out. I guess people hold others more accountable these days....these millenials ain't **** around.

In cases like these, good for them, catch these bastards. Our generation let this guy get away with a lot of **** right in front of our eyes, it was sickening. I remember hearing jokes about children getting pissed on, people in the black community thought it was a joke and defended him.

Never cared for his music so can't really say if I'd still listen to it, but the dudes that will...how can you not take the words of a singer from the context of his life? How can you not think those words had something to do with it? Or are you guys that just listen to the beats and put no emphasis on lyrics? I would die a little inside if I heard Bump N' Grind now knowing what I know.

Poor Aaliyah.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#130 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jan 7, 2019 1:03 pm

DievsZingis wrote:I remember as a teen knowing about this, and R.Kelly was the guy that helped coin the term "12 and over, bend 'em over"....everybody knew wtf was going on, it was a hot topic for a minute but died out. I guess people hold others more accountable these days....these millenials ain't **** around.

In cases like these, good for them, catch these bastards. Our generation let this guy get away with a lot of **** right in front of our eyes, it was sickening. I remember hearing jokes about children getting pissed on, people in the black community thought it was a joke and defended him.

Never cared for his music so can't really say if I'd still listen to it, but the dudes that will...how can you not take the words of a singer from the context of his life? How can you not think those words had something to do with it? Or are you guys that just listen to the beats and put no emphasis on lyrics? I would die a little inside if I heard Bump N' Grind now knowing what I know.

Poor Aaliyah.

:o when he say this? :nonono:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Senior
And1: 404

Post#131 » by 1999 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:19 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Cool.

Stop rooting for the Knicks since we signed such a horrible human being in Dotson as well.

That is a false equivocation since nobody said don't listen to Kellys label or even jazz but I'm sure pro teams do lose many fans if they sign bad people.

Would you listen to R Kelly's music if he abused your daughter or your sister?

I don’t deal in what if’s & if I already called him a terrible human and said I’m still bumping his music, what is creating hypothetical scenarios going to change?

Agreed. A person is going to like what they like. Now if I was buying new concert tix to see him in person, that’s different. I like the songs and won’t go out of my way to not hear it. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,460

Post#132 » by Juco24 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:52 pm

I haven't read each post word for word... but as a dad, I wonder "where were the parents?" during these episodes. And yes, R Kelly is wrong - COMPLETELY DISGUSTINGLY WRONG - but I don't allow my 16 year old to wander off without knowing her whereabouts. And during one segment of this show... the lady said something about that being her niece?!?! Really??? I'm like WTF!!! And you said nothing?!?!?!?! Whether or not we as a society want to admit it... you can do damn near ANYTHING in this country if you have enough money!
Commit a murder in plain sight and get acquitted - check
Have aids & miraculously get better - check
Get away with sexual child abuse - check
Have no sort of real qualifications but become President - check

We can argue all day about good vs evil and all the shoulda coulda wouldas but at the end of the day, it's about money & power. It's why the ugliest guy in the club can flash a grand and walk out with the baddest chick. And it's why a parent would allow their child to carry on with a stranger. But then once something happens - the same parents 'seemingly' don't worry about the well-being of the child. What they worry about is: "Who is the best lawyer I can find so I can sue this mf for what he did to my child!" Hello!!!! YOU (parent) ALLOWED IT!!!! :banghead: :curse: :banghead: :curse:
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,997

Post#133 » by 2Mas » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:43 pm

Just going from what I knew prior (I'm 26 & big into r&b & rap music)

I never seen the piss video. I knew of it, heard of it, But i wasn't looking for it at 8 years old. I didn't know it was with a 14 year old girl. I just thought he pissed on a girl.

Seems apparent he was illiterate. So big shame to the ppl helping him out with all those girls & allowing him.

I always figured he was creep, but when it's out of sight, out of mind where i wasn't thinking he had underage girls damn near in cells in his house doing who knows what. I just had no clue it was to the degree of what it was.

Only thing I wish they talked about more was the living in the studio/house. Like what was their day like? Did they have a phone? TV? Did they have to call & he was like okay cool go ahead? Or like no you can only piss once a day type? -- Cause some of the girls didn't wanna leave. I get the gist that they weren't allowed, but then those 2 girls were in the hotel room together in LA? So I was just kinda confused on that. Anyone have more insight i'd love an explanation.

It was really crazy. I'd tell anyone (fan of that culture or not) to watch it.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#134 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:43 am

Drake video just resurfaced with him talking on stage to a 17 year old girl.

Some people are saying Drake should be cancelled.

http://m.newser.com/story/269532/video-of-drake-with-girl-17-resurfaces-to-internets-horror.html

Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 492

Post#135 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:49 am

I used to have the thought that one should separate the artistry from the artist, in this situation it’s difficult to because it might be quite possible he been writing music about these little girls, the documentary had a portion where a girl claimed Kelly wrote you “are not alone” for her, a 17 year old who he allegedly impregnated and miscarried..

I can’t listen to Bump and Grind, Seems Like you Ready, or songs of that nature and not think of what possibly could of been his inspiration..
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,484

Post#136 » by N Y K » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:52 am

I was listening to Harlem World in the car today and "I need to be" came on...

the ish is everywhere.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#137 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:59 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:Drake video just resurfaced with him talking on stage to a 17 year old girl.

http://m.newser.com/story/269532/video-of-drake-with-girl-17-resurfaces-to-internets-horror.html

Him asking her how old she was should have been enough for him as a man to chill. Joking about it made it worse, but for the fans it was entertaining for them as well.

I haven't really dug into this piece but wasn't this somewhere around 10 years ago? Just asking, not condoning.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 8,170

Post#138 » by ITGM » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:08 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:Drake video just resurfaced with him talking on stage to a 17 year old girl.

17 is legal in many many states (including Illinois); the age of consent in Canada is 16.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#139 » by Greenie » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:05 am

Just finished this mess. First off:
Kell’s would have gotten a bullet from me playing these games. You’re gonna tell me no parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle or cousin of one of these girls ain’t go violate him? Something is wrong.

On to the show...

The whole cult thing is weird. Especially when one of the women said she simply packed her bags and left. She literally just left. From that we know it’s mental. Is it age? I don’t think so because that woman met him when she was 35.

Kitty Jones is another. Met him when she was 33.
There’s another interview where she speaks on him with underage girls DURING HER INVOLVEMENT WITH HIM.

Some of these women are guilty too of victimizing young girls. You sleeping with kids with dude? Homegirl in the video was 17/18 sleeping with that 14 year old too. The **** is sick all around.

The parents allowing their kids to go with this dude at all are getting a side eye. Everyone knows Kell’s is a creep and you let your 17 year old go ANYWHERE with this ninja? FOH. You saw $$$$

So much is wrong with the WHOLE picture. Mad people need to be in handcuffs.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,981

Post#140 » by whocares1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:19 am

Thugger HBC wrote:

Him asking her how old she was should have been enough for him as a man to chill. Joking about it made it worse, but for the fans it was entertaining for them as well.

I haven't really dug into this piece but wasn't this somewhere around 10 years ago? Just asking, not condoning.

He was 23 so around 10 years ago. Still kind of creepy but Drake has that natural creepy vibe to his game.

Return to New York Knicks