ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks 20-21 Roster

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Re: Knicks 20-21 Roster 

Post#121 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:38 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:The roster in comparison to last year is

Morris <--> Toppin
Portis <--> Spellman
Gibson <--> Noel

---

Ellington <--> Rivers
Dotson <--> Burks
Trier <--> Quickley
Allen <--> Evans

Of course Obi has "potential", but the forwards were clearly better, man for man, in last year's iteration of this one-year-deals scheme.

The guards seem a wash to me. Although I'm interested in Quickley's numbers, even I would contest that 3pt shot, let alone someone like Frank.

Burks is widely touted as the starting SG. He's spent less than 20% of his career games as a starter. Most of those were in the two brief months he was on the rancid Cleveland team in 2018-2019 (in exactly December 2018 and January 2019), where he started about 25/35 games, and on the overwhelmed-by-injuries GSW 2019-2020 (where he again started less than 50% of 40something games). (He also played 20 something games for Utah at the start of his 4th year - age 23 - before he began a series of injury plagued seasons that would have had most of the posters here sneering at him as never going to be fit to play a full season in the league.) If he's the starter, this year's NYK sucks.

/spoiler/ NYK 2020-2021 does in fact suck //spoiler/

I think the guards this year are better in all around ability. Which makes them better than last year. By a LITTLE.
With Morris, last year's forwards are better, easily. Without him, I think it's a wash, but only if Obi develops sooner than later. Also this year's group is more athletic. IF Obi progresses quickly, SLIGHT edge this year.

Weird, but I think there is a marginal upgrade in talent, but it exists, but a better upgrade in fit, other than Randle/Obi being redundant.

We can quibble about the guards' numbers and projections.

My overall take is that this year's cohort is somewhat worse from 3pt range but better at extraneous creation inside the arc. It doesn't really matter that much, but my view is that RJ, in particular, needs 3pt shooting more than whatever spacing is created moves inside the arc.

However, that's probably unimportant on the non-micro scale of things, and I understand your argument.

Obviously, Noel completely removes any possibility of there not being someone parked next to the hoop if he and Mitch split the 48 minutes at C - which also doesn't help spacing, but ...

However, you can't wash away Mook's contribution at forward. The Fizz-Knicks went 4-18 with Mook shooting 42% from 3pt and putting up xpts and yrebs... i don't really recall but we can look it up. That's the comparison.

Now, of course, Fizz was a fraud and Thibbs is a competent coach (at the very least). So obviously the 2019-2020 Knick wouldn't start 4-18 if Thibbs had been coaching them. So, I expect this year's results to be considerably better ... at least as far as they are determined by the coaching.

On the other hand, whilst it is always the case that some teams improve and some teams regress from season to season, most of the teams which were worse than the Knicks, particularly in the East, have made moves that ought to/they hope will improve them substantially this year, whilst the Knicks really, really haven't.

So, results-wise I don't hold out much hope for improvement. (Which is fine ... #teamtank.)

However, my main doubt is that the roster construction is completely wrong in terms of the types of player. Moreover, I don't see what the Knicks gain if they surprise everyone and make the playoffs as a 30-32 #8 seed. (Or 26-36 #10 seed and play in.) How does that help? At least with the Nets there was the skeleton of the team that made the playoffs - maybe missing a few bones (D'AR) but recognizable. The Knicks will retain literally no one, except possibly Randle, and Mitch-RJ-Obi-Imma.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,175

Post#122 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:00 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:The roster in comparison to last year is

Morris <--> Toppin
Portis <--> Spellman
Gibson <--> Noel

---

Ellington <--> Rivers
Dotson <--> Burks
Trier <--> Quickley
Allen <--> Evans

Of course Obi has "potential", but the forwards were clearly better, man for man, in last year's iteration of this one-year-deals scheme.

The guards seem a wash to me. Although I'm interested in Quickley's numbers, even I would contest that 3pt shot, let alone someone like Frank.

Burks is widely touted as the starting SG. He's spent less than 20% of his career games as a starter. Most of those were in the two brief months he was on the rancid Cleveland team in 2018-2019 (in exactly December 2018 and January 2019), where he started about 25/35 games, and on the overwhelmed-by-injuries GSW 2019-2020 (where he again started less than 50% of 40something games). (He also played 20 something games for Utah at the start of his 4th year - age 23 - before he began a series of injury plagued seasons that would have had most of the posters here sneering at him as never going to be fit to play a full season in the league.) If he's the starter, this year's NYK sucks.

/spoiler/ NYK 2020-2021 does in fact suck //spoiler/

I think the guards this year are better in all around ability. Which makes them better than last year. By a LITTLE.
With Morris, last year's forwards are better, easily. Without him, I think it's a wash, but only if Obi develops sooner than later. Also this year's group is more athletic. IF Obi progresses quickly, SLIGHT edge this year.

Weird, but I think there is a marginal upgrade in talent, but it exists, but a better upgrade in fit, other than Randle/Obi being redundant.

We can quibble about the guards' numbers and projections.

My overall take is that this year's cohort is somewhat worse from 3pt range but better at extraneous creation inside the arc. It doesn't really matter that much, but my view is that RJ, in particular, needs 3pt shooting more than whatever spacing is created moves inside the arc.

However, that's probably unimportant on the non-micro scale of things, and I understand your argument.

Obviously, Noel completely removes any possibility of there not being someone parked next to the hoop if he and Mitch split the 48 minutes at C - which also doesn't help spacing, but ...

However, you can't wash away Mook's contribution at forward. The Fizz-Knicks went 4-18 with Mook shooting 42% from 3pt and putting up xpts and yrebs... i don't really recall but we can look it up. That's the comparison.

Now, of course, Fizz was a fraud and Thibbs is a competent coach (at the very least). So obviously the 2019-2020 Knick wouldn't start 4-18 if Thibbs had been coaching them. So, I expect this year's results to be considerably better ... at least as far as they are determined by the coaching.

On the other hand, whilst it is always the case that some teams improve and some teams regress from season to season, most of the teams which were worse than the Knicks, particularly in the East, have made moves that ought to/they hope will improve them substantially this year, whilst the Knicks really, really haven't.

So, results-wise I don't hold out much hope for improvement. (Which is fine ... #teamtank.)

However, my main doubt is that the roster construction is completely wrong in terms of the types of player. Moreover, I don't see what the Knicks gain if they surprise everyone and make the playoffs as a 30-32 #8 seed. (Or 26-36 #10 seed and play in.) How does that help? At least with the Nets there was the skeleton of the team that made the playoffs - maybe missing a few bones (D'AR) but recognizable. The Knicks will retain literally no one, except possibly Randle, and Mitch-RJ-Obi-Imma.

I think the team hasn't improved that much and agree it needed more bonafide shooters. I'm not sure the shooting isn't at least the same or better than last year or even slightly worse - I could see an argument for all three. Which I guess means it's not that debatable, again - with Mook out it makes it that way. I just remove him as Knicks played enough games without him.

Also agree the team isn't going anywhere. I think I've talked myself into the team being a little better constructed because the wings seem to have an edge in the variety of their offensive game - I think finding useful lineup combinations will be easier - but these combinations are still all in the context of a team without enough overall talent.

It kind of feels like it's as underwhelming as last year but not as overwhelmingly stupid in the roster construction, if that makes sense.
Jeffrey
General Manager
And1: 5,306

Post#123 » by Jeffrey » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:58 am

My best guess now with MKG signing with us is Obi will come off the bench. Each unit will mask some defensive problems with Obi. With the second unit, Rivers and Obi can really be the focal point of the offense. Since this is his rookie season, playing 25 minutes and goal is to get double digits will be good starting point.

1st unit
Payton
Burk
RJ
Randle
Robinson

2nd unit
Frank/DSJr
Rivers
MKG
Obi
Noel
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,658

Post#124 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:14 am

Jeffrey wrote:My best guess now with MKG signing with us is Obi will come off the bench. Each unit will mask some defensive problems with Obi. With the second unit, Rivers and Obi can really be the focal point of the offense. Since this is his rookie season, playing 25 minutes and goal is to get double digits will be good starting point.

1st unit
Payton
Burk
RJ
Randle
Robinson

2nd unit
Frank/DSJr
Rivers
MKG
Obi
Noel

MKG is fighting to make the team on an Exhibit 10 deal. He isn't penciled in to any rotations at all right now.
:beer: RIP mags
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#125 » by DrCoach » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:55 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:My best guess now with MKG signing with us is Obi will come off the bench. Each unit will mask some defensive problems with Obi. With the second unit, Rivers and Obi can really be the focal point of the offense. Since this is his rookie season, playing 25 minutes and goal is to get double digits will be good starting point.

1st unit
Payton
Burk
RJ
Randle
Robinson

2nd unit
Frank/DSJr
Rivers
MKG
Obi
Noel

MKG is fighting to make the team on an Exhibit 10 deal. He isn't penciled in to any rotations at all right now.

I hope Spellman looks good, we need another Big
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,658

Post#126 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Dec 2, 2020 6:53 am

DrCoach wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

1st unit
Payton
Burk
RJ
Randle
Robinson

2nd unit
Frank/DSJr
Rivers
MKG
Obi
Noel

I hope Spellman looks good, we need another Big

Yeah. I also hope at least one of Frank/DSJ/Knox Take a leap and show something. We shall see how it all goes in 9 days.
:beer: RIP mags
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#127 » by DrCoach » Sun Dec 6, 2020 7:31 am

I want Spelman ovr MGK
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,294

Post#128 » by Jstock12 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 8:31 am

Can anyone let me know what's the situation with Brazdeikis? Is it likely he'll get any minutes this season with the main squad? Or do you think he'll be spending another year in G-League?
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 647

Post#129 » by Galou » Sun Dec 6, 2020 1:53 pm

Lookin at some of yall rosters had me thinking Frank Ntilikina got traded. He better turn it up next season.
F$+*k the Nets.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#130 » by DrCoach » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:20 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Can anyone let me know what's the situation with Brazdeikis? Is it likely he'll get any minutes this season with the main squad? Or do you think he'll be spending another year in G-League?

We are sleeping on his, he has Joe Harris/ Wally Szcerbiak Potential.
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#131 » by NYF13 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:45 pm

2021 starting line up will include ....

Harden-Hield-RJ Barrett-Obi Toppin-Giannis

God Willing!!!!
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,546

Post#132 » by CharlesOakley » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:17 pm

pg - Payton
sg - Frank
sf - RJ
pf - MKG
c - Mitch

The zero shooting, 100% defense lineup you didn't know you needed. First team to 80 wins.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,175

Post#133 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:22 pm

NYF13 wrote:2021 starting line up will include ....

Harden-Hield-RJ Barrett-Obi Toppin-Giannis

God Willing!!!!

When are the Knicks getting Harden again?
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#134 » by DrCoach » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:33 pm

C-Mitch-Noel-Spellman
Pf-Randle-OBI-Iggy
Sf-RJ-Bullock-Knoxs
Sg-Burks-Rivers-Quickley
Pg-Frank-Payton-DsJr

16Jacob Evans
17-Powell