ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Popper- Brunson willing to take 4 year 156 million dollar extension

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49,188

Re: Steve Popper- Brunson willing to take 4 year 156 million dollar extension 

Post#121 » by DOT » Tue May 21, 2024 7:58 pm

Guano wrote:He is taking 110m less to open up a MLE - it's crazy.

Yeah, like that's valuable and all, you can get a good role player for the MLE, but you can also just use the draft to get depth pieces

People are gonna hate this, but if we had just stood pat in 2021 and drafted Jalen Johnson, and didn't trade Obi for 2 2nds earlier this year, we would still be playing right now. It's more complicated than that of course, Obi was disgruntled due to lack of playing time, no guarantee we take Johnson, and the pick we traded our pick for became Cam Reddish who was in the deal for Josh Hart (though in my opinion, the Blazers wanted the 1st we sent them more than Reddish), but still

We have 2 (admittedly late) 1st round picks this year. Up to 4 1sts next year (2 are heavily protected, one lightly protected). Even if you can't swing a trade for a star, if we draft even decently in the next 2 years that'll be more impactful than getting an MLE. Granted it's not one or the other, we can sign Brunson for less and still draft well, but still.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,553

Post#122 » by aggo » Tue May 21, 2024 8:00 pm

DOT wrote:Yeah him making less money would be good for the org and all, but from a practical standpoint, how much does it actually change?

OG needs his new contract, we got Randle's deal coming up, Mitch is still locked in, iHart might get a big pay raise, Hart is making a lot too. That's like the entirety of the cap between them 6 as is, even if Jalen takes a discount and Randle/OG re-up for closer to $35 mil each

I don't think taking less is gonna open up any real cap space, it'll just be like, the tax apron stuff. Most of the benefit would be saving Dolan a bit of money

Organizationally you still do it in a heartbeat if he's willing to accept it, but it's not a franchise-altering discount.

Don’t be defeatist

Having a guy take below market value means we can do more magic tricks like what Josh hart did with opting in and extending to make room for MLE divo

So it means we could easily get another MLE player or have more room under the second apron to maneuver.

It means a lot when you’re having to spend money

The next thing to look out for is:

OG taking a flat contract or front loaded. This helps us also bc any contract that goes up LESS against the cap each year means the team is saving more and more money for other players

where would Dallas be without Derrick jones jr?
Where would Philly have ended without Kelly oubre?
Would Denver have won last year without MLE Bruce brown?

These small things matter
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,237

Post#123 » by Guano » Tue May 21, 2024 8:03 pm

Reign23 wrote:4th year would probably be a player option which would allow him to sign another big contract when he is turning 32.

Laughing in Derrick Rose
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#124 » by Reign23 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:04 pm

Guano wrote:
Reign23 wrote:4th year would probably be a player option which would allow him to sign another big contract when he is turning 32.

Laughing in Derrick Rose

:D
formerly known as knickst4pe
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,352

Post#125 » by TrueWarrior » Tue May 21, 2024 8:06 pm

Jalen could take $1 a year in salary and I would only say: hell yeah.

Relax with the working man’s hero stuff. He will be more than alright and make any money up in other ways, especially if he wins a ring.

Right now this is only a rumor, but with a credible source. Would be amazing and completely set the tone. We’ll see though.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 19,361

Post#126 » by Iron Mantis » Tue May 21, 2024 8:15 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
Guano wrote:I'd actually judge him negatively for this. It's one of those things were I struggle to separate sports from real life and I can't stand coworkers that do this kinda lame sht. Maximize your earnings and don't let the company get over on you.

It's the FO job to get the right people around him to win within the cap. If he is a top 5 mvp candidate he is worth a super mx and the fo should be able to build a championship team around him while paying him his worth.

Now as a fan. I love this. Principals be damned. Fck over the working man to get me a chip.

I’d usually agree with this but I just think us normies don’t really have the concept of making the type of money professionals athletes make. Theres a pretty substantial life improvement from going from 60k to 80k that probably doesn’t happen for an athlete making 40 million instead of 60. Dudes still going to make over 200 million and if he invests that right his great grandkids will probably be fine.

If he has $50 million sitting in a 5% apy account, it's gaining over $2.5 million a year in interest..... :o

His family will never run out of money...
ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,999

Post#127 » by ezmoney707 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:23 pm

I wouldn’t dismiss the tax apron as being a big factor considering how much more it hampers your ability to make roster moves and actually penalizes teams unlike in the past where you were just hit with a hefty luxury tax bill
Appleshampoo
Starter
And1: 942

Post#128 » by Appleshampoo » Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 pm

DOT wrote:
Guano wrote:He is taking 110m less to open up a MLE - it's crazy.

Yeah, like that's valuable and all, you can get a good role player for the MLE, but you can also just use the draft to get depth pieces

People are gonna hate this, but if we had just stood pat in 2021 and drafted Jalen Johnson, and didn't trade Obi for 2 2nds earlier this year, we would still be playing right now. It's more complicated than that of course, Obi was disgruntled due to lack of playing time, no guarantee we take Johnson, and the pick we traded our pick for became Cam Reddish who was in the deal for Josh Hart (though in my opinion, the Blazers wanted the 1st we sent them more than Reddish), but still

We have 2 (admittedly late) 1st round picks this year. Up to 4 1sts next year (2 are heavily protected, one lightly protected). Even if you can't swing a trade for a star, if we draft even decently in the next 2 years that'll be more impactful than getting an MLE. Granted it's not one or the other, we can sign Brunson for less and still draft well, but still.

I don't get the point here. We can use the MLE and still draft depth pieces. The team is over the cap so opening up a MLE is a big deal.
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,013

Post#129 » by NowWHYcee7 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:32 pm

Hell yeah. Who was the last player to do something like this? Tim Duncan?
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#130 » by Synciere » Tue May 21, 2024 8:32 pm

Guano wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sol537 wrote:Remember: Duncan and Dirk both left money on the table…

Nobody has left $120 million on the table :lol:

I get more angry the more I think about.

1/120 million.

My wife and friends would kill me if I made such a horrible life choice.

I can't imagine how hard this conversation is going to be with his wife.

Love, hear me out, "I just want to win" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,483

Post#131 » by spree8 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:32 pm

Extension 1: 4 years @ 39m each

Extension 2: 5 years @ 54m each

That’s a difference of 15m per year, BUT option 1 you lock in now and secure the bag because you never know what could happen. Look at what happened to DeMarcus Cousins, Schroder, Nerlens, Dipo, etc.

Also, in year 1 of his next deal (which would’ve been year 5 in option 2’s deal) he could recoup a lot of that money because by then, who knows wtf the cap will be at. Shyt, year 1 on that deal could be like 80m (spotrac estimates the cap could be @ 227m and max deals for 10+ years are 35% of the cap =80m) that could be like 25m or so more than year 5 of the option 2 contract.

So apples to apples, he’s prob only leaving like 35m on the table over 5 years. 7m per, for a guarantee right now, I’d take it and run. After taxes, that’s only like 3.5m per year anyway.
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#132 » by Synciere » Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 pm

Guano wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
Guano wrote:
:lol:
agreed.

Hopefully him keeping us under the 2nd tax threshold so we can sign Oubre with an MLE puts us over the top.

As long as we find a way to add Knicks killer TJ McConnell too and then we can ride.

Hurts to admit I like a pacer but I fck with tj.

it makes sense Brunson is willing to take less - he is a thibs fan. That means he knows they need a 10-12 deep roster to make a run.

TJ picks up the ball handler 94 feet EVERY MF time.. Hard not to like a guy like that..
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,312

Post#133 » by Kampuchea » Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm

I’d do the same, congrats Brunson.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,197

Post#134 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:44 pm

HerSports85 wrote:what i found from a month ago.
Read on Twitter

Ian has some Sauces?!?!? I'm actually shocked that he accidentally broke something :lol:
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,197

Post#135 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:56 pm

DOT wrote:Yeah him making less money would be good for the org and all, but from a practical standpoint, how much does it actually change?

OG needs his new contract, we got Randle's deal coming up, Mitch is still locked in, iHart might get a big pay raise, Hart is making a lot too. That's like the entirety of the cap between them 6 as is, even if Jalen takes a discount and Randle/OG re-up for closer to $35 mil each

I don't think taking less is gonna open up any real cap space, it'll just be like, the tax apron stuff. Most of the benefit would be saving Dolan a bit of money

Organizationally you still do it in a heartbeat if he's willing to accept it, but it's not a franchise-altering discount.

I don't think the tax aprons are just a new type of luxury tax. There's a bunch of trade restrictions once you go over them. I know that you lose the ability to do sign and trades after the 2nd one. Possibly lose the rights to sign guys to vet minimums as well? There's also some changes that would force you to made trades at the exact dollar amount too. So there's def benefits other than for Dolan's checkbook.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,967

Post#136 » by mpharris36 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:00 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

I don't think the tax aprons are just a new type of luxury tax. There's a bunch of trade restrictions once you go over them. I know that you lose the ability to do sign and trades after the 2nd one. Possibly lose the rights to sign guys to vet minimums as well? There's also some changes that would force you to made trades at the exact dollar amount too. So there's def benefits other than for Dolan's checkbook.

yeah I think the 2nd apron hurts in executing trades.

You can't take on more money in a deal

and

You can't aggregate 2 players in a deal to match one player

so if you had a 20 MM player and 15 MM and wanted to trade for a 34 MM you couldn't do that.

You basically could only make 1 for 1 type deal or take on less money.
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,553

Post#137 » by aggo » Tue May 21, 2024 9:02 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

The new tax aprons are even worse. If u hit 182m 3 out of 5 years ur frp gets converted to the end of the first round.
Jeffrey
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#138 » by Jeffrey » Tue May 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Brunson probably has a contingency that he wants his last infinity stone. Mikal Bridges
Jeffrey
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#139 » by Jeffrey » Tue May 21, 2024 9:13 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sol537 wrote:Remember: Duncan and Dirk both left money on the table…

Nobody has left $120 million on the table :lol:

Didn't DeMarcus Cousins leave money on the table?

Dennis Schroeder?

Dwight Howard?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,645

Post#140 » by sol537 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:14 pm

spree8 wrote:Extension 1: 4 years @ 39m each

Extension 2: 5 years @ 54m each

That’s a difference of 15m per year, BUT option 1 you lock in now and secure the bag because you never know what could happen. Look at what happened to DeMarcus Cousins, Schroder, Nerlens, Dipo, etc.

Also, in year 1 of his next deal (which would’ve been year 5 in option 2’s deal) he could recoup a lot of that money because by then, who knows wtf the cap will be at. Shyt, year 1 on that deal could be like 80m (spotrac estimates the cap could be @ 227m and max deals for 10+ years are 35% of the cap =80m) that could be like 25m or so more than year 5 of the option 2 contract.

So apples to apples, he’s prob only leaving like 35m on the table over 5 years. 7m per, for a guarantee right now, I’d take it and run. After taxes, that’s only like 3.5m per year anyway.

Underrated post. People ignore some of these facts.

Return to New York Knicks