ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,735

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#1281 » by WargamesX » Thu May 23, 2024 4:54 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
WargamesX wrote:How would you all feel if the Knicks signed CP3 for the tax payer MLE?

Like were a destination right? Are we that much of a destination we could get CP3 as a bench piece?

I don't mind a veteran PG and especially one that can still play defense and be a great floor general. We're talking about 10-15 minutes where we need a level headed player to not be a net negative.

Would you rather do Kyle Lowry for a cheaper price and save that MLE for someone a little bit younger that comes off the bench?

I was thinking about Lowry, but he looked done in that Philly series. The knicks need someone who can actually hold their own when Brunson sits.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,553

Post#1282 » by aggo » Thu May 23, 2024 5:01 pm

It’s Brunson’s team
Read on Twitter
?s=46
cldbld
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#1283 » by cldbld » Thu May 23, 2024 5:04 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
WargamesX wrote:How would you all feel if the Knicks signed CP3 for the tax payer MLE?

Like were a destination right? Are we that much of a destination we could get CP3 as a bench piece?

I don't mind a veteran PG and especially one that can still play defense and be a great floor general. We're talking about 10-15 minutes where we need a level headed player to not be a net negative.

Would you rather do Kyle Lowry for a cheaper price and save that MLE for someone a little bit younger that comes off the bench?

I was thinking about Lowry, but he looked done in that Philly series. The knicks need someone who can actually hold their own when Brunson sits.

Lowry might get a spark to play with his nova boys. I don't like cp3 at all.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,502

Post#1284 » by Fury » Thu May 23, 2024 5:06 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

I'd sign him just to not play against him again.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,879

Post#1285 » by cgmw » Thu May 23, 2024 5:10 pm

sol537 wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Giannis is probably the absolute best case scenario of a guy who fits this system perfectly as a two way elite O and D player. He's relatively young , not SUPER injury prone like other guys are . He is not a super diva and we would have a tremendous package which would include a star replacement at PF in Randle.

THIS is the guy that what be worth the grandmaster package.

Randle, Mitch Robinson, 4 FRPs for Giannis.

Bogey, McBride and 2 FRPs for DeJounte.

Resign I Hart

I think there's a chance Giannis asks out this off-season, at the deadline, or next off-season... I don't have faith in MIL long-term and that 1st rounder should come into play (we could send it back their way so they can properly tank when the time comes).

Instead of DeJounte, I'd include more picks and go after Mikal. Basically, go all in with Giannis + Brunson + Nova boys + OG. One title is all I ask for.

Love it!

Whenever IRL gets stressful or boring, I can count on this thread to cheer me up with the undeniable truth that we’re landing both Giannis and Mikal this summer.

Can’t wait. Get’er done, Donnie!
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,967

Post#1286 » by Wildcat » Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

One of the take aways of Josh starting is him getting more comfortable dribbling the ball up. A lot of the bench concerns is going to depend on how the substitution patterns work. Like send Randle to the bench at the 10 minute mark, have JB finish the quarter, bring back Randle at the start of the 2nd and rest JB until the 6 minute mark. Something like that, but far more fluid than I'm describing.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#1287 » by sol537 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 pm

Woj, Shams, and Windy all said NYK are going big fish hunting this summer... Where there's smoke...
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,975

Post#1288 » by KnixinSix » Thu May 23, 2024 5:46 pm

aggo wrote:It’s Brunson’s team
Read on Twitter
?s=46

Things can certainly change but I'll believe it when I see it

I can absolutely see them not wanting a point guard close to the level of player Brunson is...

That all depends on if they are scaredy cats of somehow disrupting the pecking order.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#1289 » by Besart19 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:47 pm

KnixinSix wrote:

Giannis is probably the absolute best case scenario of a guy who fits this system perfectly as a two way elite O and D player. He's relatively young , not SUPER injury prone like other guys are . He is not a super diva and we would have a tremendous package which would include a star replacement at PF in Randle.

THIS is the guy that what be worth the grandmaster package.

Randle, Mitch Robinson, 4 FRPs for Giannis.

Bogey, McBride and 2 FRPs for DeJounte.

Resign I Hart

Brunson / Smith Jr / Rokas
Di Vincenzo / Murray / Burks
Anunoby / Hart / Bogdanovic
Giannis / Morris / draft
Hartenstein / Achiuwa / Sims
Strength and Honour!
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,502

Post#1290 » by Fury » Thu May 23, 2024 5:49 pm

sol537 wrote:Woj, Shams, and Windy all said NYK are going big fish hunting this summer... Where there's smoke...

Did they say anything else?
Jeffrey
General Manager
And1: 5,322

Post#1291 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Wildcat wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

One of the take aways of Josh starting is him getting more comfortable dribbling the ball up. A lot of the bench concerns is going to depend on how the substitution patterns work. Like send Randle to the bench at the 10 minute mark, have JB finish the quarter, bring back Randle at the start of the 2nd and rest JB until the 6 minute mark. Something like that, but far more fluid than I'm describing.

CP3 does have a non-guaranteed salary this offseason that Warriors can just waive. I don't see why Warriors won't do that and save that fcking luxury bill that they need to drop. Let Klay go, waive CP3's non guarantee, trade Wiggins.

If CP3 would sign an MLE (he probably wants multi-year as well), why not right? He is capable of spot starting if need be, can probably teach Deuce a thing or two. He is still good defensively.

If not Lowry, how about Dennis Smith Jr. or Cam Payne for the BAE (3.4m?)?

I think Tyus Jones will be out of our price range. Perhaps Monte Morris?
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,975

Post#1292 » by KnixinSix » Thu May 23, 2024 6:00 pm

sol537 wrote:Woj, Shams, and Windy all said NYK are going big fish hunting this summer... Where there's smoke...

You would think a couple guys would pry free after some disappointing playoff performances by certain teams combined with the NEW CBA going into effect.

But I don't want the too injury prone guys like Embiid nor the too old guys like PG13.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#1293 » by sol537 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Fury wrote:

Not yet, but I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the off-season roller coaster as it happens in real time... I expect...

-> OG opts in and extends
-> Brunson extends
-> iHart extends
-> We sign a back-up PG
-> We do an all-in trade for a big fish using some combo of Randle, Mitch and picks. A major talent will be added to this core. :D
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,848

Post#1294 » by BowlRips » Thu May 23, 2024 6:22 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I could see the Knicks liking Derozan for a few reasons but like others said there are definitely some real drawbacks.

Pros would be:

He has maintained an above average level of efficiency throughout his 30's. Something the Knicks have lacked even through the success of the past 2 years. Despite being one of the better offenses in the league the Knicks have been bottom 10 in true shooting percentage the past 2 seasons.

He has real playoff experience with Toronto.

Has historically been one of the best 4th quarter scorers in the league. For a team that is heavily reliant on one guy in the 4th, this would be a nice alternative option to have on nights Brunson can't put the cape on.

He's been extremely durable even in his advanced age. He's never had a season below 60 games in his career and his last 3 seasons have all been over 70 games with a heavy minutes load. If the Knicks plan on using him as a 6th man which I assume is a possibility then you can assume he'll be able to play an entire season with relative ease given that minute load and he's a guy you can feel good about spot starting in case of other injuries...

Knicks have won a lot of games by winning the possession battle. While Derozan doesn't get a ton of rebounds he helps you win the possession battle by not turning the ball over and having a high amount of assists. To put into context, for guys who have a 25 or higher usage percentage he has the 3rd lowest turnover % from that group. This will allow guys like Hartenstein, Randle, Hart and Mitch Rob (assuming most if not all are back) to pound the glass and get DD some "Kobe assists" that way as well...

Cons:

DD's game is not really a seamless fit offensively with a lot of teams and especially ours. His shot profile is extremely similar to Brunson and Randle. He loves to operate in the mid range area. We saw how having a 3rd scorer who didn't necessarily like to shoot 3's, in RJ, kind of cramped everything up offensively. Now the difference is Derozan is a much steadier and efficient offensive player than RJ is and much more experienced. He's also currently a better passer so the adjustment may be a tad bit easier but, the fit concerns would still remain. How exactly can you get all 3 of these guys on the floor at the same time and humming? Is it even possible?

Defensively Demar is sub par. He's also spent a lot of minutes at the 4 since moving to Chicago. While Randle will need some rest at times, the Knicks would not be bringing DD in just to spell Randle for 12-15 minutes a night...Can the Knicks survive defensively with Demar, Randle and Jalen all getting a ton of minutes? Is the trade off for Demar's offense truly worth it? Those are tough questions for the FO to answer IMO.

While Demar has playoff experience he's also struggled at times. It's always been a weird juxtaposition for me to determine why because he truly is awesome in the 4th quarter of the regular season which is probably the closest mirror to playoff basketball you can find... Just worth noting that if the Knicks are going to give up real assets for Demar you would hope that it would mean a playoff bump for them and quite frankly i'm not sure if you can bank on that given his history...

Ultimately, I don't think Demar should be a priority target given the above but, I wouldn't necessarily rule the move out.... There's a lot of questions with fit but he does provide some things this team lacks. It would come down to price for me and also what you would be taking yourself out of the running of... 2 firsts and Bogey to me is a non starter for a soon to be 35 year old with a questionable fit profile...However, if you get to mid-July and nothing else seems to materialize, then maybe I would pitch Chicago on two seconds or a projected late 1st and a 2nd. That seems more palatable to me even if I have to close my eyes and pinch my nose when I send it in to the league office :lol:

Want to make continuous soup?

Randle to Detroit for the 5th pick
Mitchell Robinson for Derozan with a 3 year 75m contract.
Draft Clingan at 5.

Hartenstein/Clingan
OG/Bogdanovic
Derozan/Hart
DDV/Hart
Brunson/McBride
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,553

Post#1295 » by aggo » Thu May 23, 2024 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,858

Post#1296 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 23, 2024 6:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:DeMar DeRozan for Bojan and a couple of picks? DD has said publicly that he’d like to be here.

I don’t know who this Presti guy is. He doesn’t always make sense but I like this one.

Read on Twitter
?s=46

Demar makes too much money and isn’t a fit in the starting lineup. He’d create all types of spacing issues. If he was cheaper, he’d be a great 6th man.

I know one thing he'd create. His own shots! :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,858

Post#1297 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 23, 2024 6:45 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:I could see the Knicks liking Derozan for a few reasons but like others said there are definitely some real drawbacks.

Pros would be:

He has maintained an above average level of efficiency throughout his 30's. Something the Knicks have lacked even through the success of the past 2 years. Despite being one of the better offenses in the league the Knicks have been bottom 10 in true shooting percentage the past 2 seasons.

He has real playoff experience with Toronto.

Has historically been one of the best 4th quarter scorers in the league. For a team that is heavily reliant on one guy in the 4th, this would be a nice alternative option to have on nights Brunson can't put the cape on.

He's been extremely durable even in his advanced age. He's never had a season below 60 games in his career and his last 3 seasons have all been over 70 games with a heavy minutes load. If the Knicks plan on using him as a 6th man which I assume is a possibility then you can assume he'll be able to play an entire season with relative ease given that minute load and he's a guy you can feel good about spot starting in case of other injuries...

Knicks have won a lot of games by winning the possession battle. While Derozan doesn't get a ton of rebounds he helps you win the possession battle by not turning the ball over and having a high amount of assists. To put into context, for guys who have a 25 or higher usage percentage he has the 3rd lowest turnover % from that group. This will allow guys like Hartenstein, Randle, Hart and Mitch Rob (assuming most if not all are back) to pound the glass and get DD some "Kobe assists" that way as well...

Cons:

DD's game is not really a seamless fit offensively with a lot of teams and especially ours. His shot profile is extremely similar to Brunson and Randle. He loves to operate in the mid range area. We saw how having a 3rd scorer who didn't necessarily like to shoot 3's, in RJ, kind of cramped everything up offensively. Now the difference is Derozan is a much steadier and efficient offensive player than RJ is and much more experienced. He's also currently a better passer so the adjustment may be a tad bit easier but, the fit concerns would still remain. How exactly can you get all 3 of these guys on the floor at the same time and humming? Is it even possible?

Defensively Demar is sub par. He's also spent a lot of minutes at the 4 since moving to Chicago. While Randle will need some rest at times, the Knicks would not be bringing DD in just to spell Randle for 12-15 minutes a night...Can the Knicks survive defensively with Demar, Randle and Jalen all getting a ton of minutes? Is the trade off for Demar's offense truly worth it? Those are tough questions for the FO to answer IMO.

While Demar has playoff experience he's also struggled at times. It's always been a weird juxtaposition for me to determine why because he truly is awesome in the 4th quarter of the regular season which is probably the closest mirror to playoff basketball you can find... Just worth noting that if the Knicks are going to give up real assets for Demar you would hope that it would mean a playoff bump for them and quite frankly i'm not sure if you can bank on that given his history...

Ultimately, I don't think Demar should be a priority target given the above but, I wouldn't necessarily rule the move out.... There's a lot of questions with fit but he does provide some things this team lacks. It would come down to price for me and also what you would be taking yourself out of the running of... 2 firsts and Bogey to me is a non starter for a soon to be 35 year old with a questionable fit profile...However, if you get to mid-July and nothing else seems to materialize, then maybe I would pitch Chicago on two seconds or a projected late 1st and a 2nd. That seems more palatable to me even if I have to close my eyes and pinch my nose when I send it in to the league office :lol:

Want to make continuous soup?

Draft Clingan at 5.

Hartenstein/Clingan
OG/Bogdanovic
Derozan/Hart
DDV/Hart
Brunson/McBride

That's interesting.
Free Palestine
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 12,080

Post#1298 » by Jay10 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:01 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
knicksstuff wrote:"Of note: While league personnel are of the mind Siakam will certainly be re-signing with Indiana, there was word circling among team officials at last week’s NBA Draft Combine that Anunoby’s situation with the Knicks is not as cut and dried. Perhaps those signals to rival teams will only help Anunoby elicit a larger dollar figure from the Knicks. But various teams left Chicago with the belief that Anunoby could reach unrestricted free agency and consider deals from other franchises in addition to New York, sources said."

Not the greatest piece of news

Hard to imagine we wouldn't be on the same page with *checks notes* Leon's son in terms of what Anunoby would want on the market. We can ultimately match anything money-wise he would get out there.

Feels more like a "let's avoid a tampering charge by leaking this info out there" kind of news bit to me tbh :lol:

It's basically learning from the Jalen tampering issue. Go get your free dinners from other teams, but in the end re-sign with the Knicks.
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 12,080

Post#1299 » by Jay10 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Fury wrote:

They know but due to the NBA being about storylines, they will wait until the trade/signing is finalized to then say "there were rumors of *blank* being interested in the Knicks for a long time", just to keep their source(s) happy and not be accused of tampering.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,888

Post#1300 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 pm

BowlRips wrote:Want to make continuous soup?

Draft Clingan at 5.

Hartenstein/Clingan
OG/Bogdanovic
Derozan/Hart
DDV/Hart
Brunson/McBride

I get the overall idea behind it but, I don't think swapping out Randle for a 35 year old version of Derozan is very smart. I also don't think the Knicks are trading Randle for anything but a clear upgrade and Derozan is not a clear upgrade. I'd argue he's a downgrade tbh. Maybe if Caruso was involved I'd be more open to it...

Also I don't think using a 5th pick on someone who projects to be a backup for the first few years in the league is very smart for a team who fashions themselves as a contender.

Return to New York Knicks