ImageImageImageImageImage

The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,563

Re: The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor 

Post#181 » by Zenzibar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:15 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
randle is essentially an expiring contract. he can play, or maybe we can do something in a deal whether it be in a package for some star or if he plays well, trade to take on some salary in exchange for an asset, or move him for another expiring and draft asset like with morris last year. I just with people would stop crying about it, it's going to be okay folks. We're likely going to be tanking for the 2021 draft before you know it :lol:

Agree with this take. Even if a person were to hate Randle's game, and I think that would be an extreme take, it's essentially now a 1 year deal. Yeah, ok, whine about the 4 or 5 million player option the following year, but that was the cost of keeping the deal at 2 years. I get this stuff adds up (Hi Noah!), but I don't think it's that consequential. Basically the team misses out on a pair of Ron Bakers. :-)

I don't necassary disagree with the "overall" take. That Randle is a complete net negative. However as Leon Rose put it RJ and Mitch are the core pieces of this team. We should hopefully be adding a 3rd core piece to this team via the draft. Randle simply does not compliment there games. So that is why if I can simply just get rid of him for nothing (remove his $4 MM of left of money for the 2022 season now). I would do it with essentially no return. The reason I say that is even for a much cheaper price option I can find a 4 man that simply open up more of the floor for the guys we really care about and want to see develop. With Mitch, Randle, and RJ on the floor we simply just don't have enough shooting and the odd man out of that group is Randle without question because the others are on rookie contracts.

True.

Randle has to produce another 20/10 season at his salary level and he can be moved for another #1 during the season.
So we should be encouraging him to grow as a player. Look, Randle may be a top 10 forward in the East, yeah I said it and don't laugh.

Also to your and others point, there is no way we don't package a 2022 or beyond 1st in some trade soon, but beware some 2022 high schoolers are already getting big headlines.
In any event we have the cap space to outright sign an all-star and trade for another.
Rise if the Rose.

The last thing. Yo MPHarris, have you advised Melo that Leon is keeping Mitch as a core and therefore his dream of drafting Wiseman just vanished? lol.. :)
Stop All Genocides
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,327

Re: The New York Knicks are hiring CAA’s William Wesley as Executive Vice President/Senior Advisor 

Post#182 » by Mecca » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Mecca wrote:Man, Killian might go top 4 as well. If Lotto gods aren’t nice to us, you absolutely trade a future pick to move up. This is not the draft to stick at #6.

Oh yeah, RJ should be expandable in another trade in the near future. Winning with his skill set is going to be very tricky.

Let's assume his 3 point/outside shooting improves. Not vastly, but at least some.

Combine that with his overall mentality, in that he's a team oriented, all around player, and what's wrong with having him as the #3 option on a good team?

It has to improve. That's the $1,000,000 question. And he was straight bad around the rim this year.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,199

Post#183 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Mecca wrote:Man, Killian might go top 4 as well. If Lotto gods aren’t nice to us, you absolutely trade a future pick to move up. This is not the draft to stick at #6.

Oh yeah, RJ should be expandable in another trade in the near future. Winning with his skill set is going to be very tricky.

Let's assume his 3 point/outside shooting improves. Not vastly, but at least some.

Combine that with his overall mentality, in that he's a team oriented, all around player, and what's wrong with having him as the #3 option on a good team?

It has to improve. That's the $1,000,000 question. And he was straight bad around the rim this year.

Not that you don't realize this, just talking, but that's one of the issues for every team in the NBA now, which will increase when the age drops to 18, and that's that most of the players aren't fully developed, at all. Some are out of the box, but most retain some % of rawness that 22 and 21 year olds didn't have back when.

I think considering RJ was 19 and a rookie, he fared pretty well.
He didn't have the crazy athleticism of Zion or the speed (to go with skill) of Ja, but I think he'll take steps.

Knicks have a couple more years to see what is what

I'm coming around to Kira Lewis as a possible pick just because of his speed. Obviously it would mean nothing if he wasn't adept at finishing (seems so) or didn't have what appears to have a good jumper to set it all up, but speed seems like something that would instantly translate since NBA rules are skewed to make defense, or certain kinds of defense, difficult.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,920

Post#184 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Agree with this take. Even if a person were to hate Randle's game, and I think that would be an extreme take, it's essentially now a 1 year deal. Yeah, ok, whine about the 4 or 5 million player option the following year, but that was the cost of keeping the deal at 2 years. I get this stuff adds up (Hi Noah!), but I don't think it's that consequential. Basically the team misses out on a pair of Ron Bakers. :-)

I don't necassary disagree with the "overall" take. That Randle is a complete net negative. However as Leon Rose put it RJ and Mitch are the core pieces of this team. We should hopefully be adding a 3rd core piece to this team via the draft. Randle simply does not compliment there games. So that is why if I can simply just get rid of him for nothing (remove his $4 MM of left of money for the 2022 season now). I would do it with essentially no return. The reason I say that is even for a much cheaper price option I can find a 4 man that simply open up more of the floor for the guys we really care about and want to see develop. With Mitch, Randle, and RJ on the floor we simply just don't have enough shooting and the odd man out of that group is Randle without question because the others are on rookie contracts.

True.

Randle has to produce another 20/10 season at his salary level and he can be moved for another #1 during the season.
So we should be encouraging him to grow as a player. Look, Randle may be a top 10 forward in the East, yeah I said it and don't laugh.

Also to your and others point, there is no way we don't package a 2022 or beyond 1st in some trade soon, but beware some 2022 high schoolers are already getting big headlines.
In any event we have the cap space to outright sign an all-star and trade for another.
Rise if the Rose.

The last thing. Yo MPHarris, have you advised Melo that Leon is keeping Mitch as a core and therefore his dream of drafting Wiseman just vanished? lol.. :)

until its physically impossible I believe Melo believes a DSJ, Randle, Wiseman is possible and woud would be successful on the knicks.
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,563

Post#185 » by Zenzibar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

So if his game is still developing, why would you trade a pick to move up a couple of slots to get him, as you posted above?
Why not draft a pg at your spot and package 27 and 36 to move into the teens, as NazMohammed posted earlier?
Stop All Genocides
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,200

Post#186 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

The poor Knicks spacing probably hurt RJ more then anyone on the team especially around the rim. It was a horrible roster for him to work within. That he got to the rim and line as much as he did even with the bad spacing is at least a good sign. There was some bad mixed in so I am not sure if he is a core player or more of a complimentary piece.

It's hard to say exactly right now. But I think his stock can def improve with better fitting pieces and another year of improvement. Unless we get a godfather offer would probably hold onto him and see what he can do next year at least.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,427

Post#187 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:45 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
I'm usually not a fan of trading picks. At all.

But, the Knicks have 7 #1 picks in the next 4 years, plus however many #2 picks. I mean, even assuming, after all the dust from trades settles, they are back to having 4, that's 11 players within 4 years. Sure, in that period of time, they'll have decisions based on cost, talent and fit, on Frank, DSJr, Knox and immediately with Trier and Dotson. Heck, even RJ, Mitch and Iggy, if we go full 4 years.

That's still quite a few potential young players to fit on the team.

At some point, the team may trade a pick or two.

Of course, it completely worth speculating and stating it's better to hold them in trade for a bonafide star, and I hope that they do. But if the cost is right and if Perrin and Co think LaMelo is worth it, yeah, I'd burn a pick for that.

Ask Danny Ainge if that's enough #1s?
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,172

Post#188 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I posted a video in one of the recent RJ Barrett threads that said after January 1st, he shot 60% at the rim. I’m not really sure where I can fact check that info but assuming it’s true, he made improvement in his finishing as the year went on.

Edit: found the video
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,438

Post#189 » by Fury » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm

I do think LaMelo and Mitch is a great combo, or at least they complement each other’s skill set. Barrett moving into the secondary ball handling role will be good for him, too
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,638

Post#190 » by robillionaire » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I would say it did improve, at least from NCAA to the NBA. It went from 30.8% at a shorter distance to 32%. maybe he can stay on a positive trajectory and get to 34-35%. I don't think we can realistically hope for any more than that
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#191 » by knickstape21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Mecca wrote:I have an article coming in later today, but we absolutely can't go another season with 8 new contracts on the team in a year. It's a revolving door. After time, we have to commit to building a core and committing to a few players for multiple seasons.

“We have to commit to building a core and committing to a few players for multiple seasons.”

“RJ should be expandable in another trade in the near future.”

Trade RJ :lol:
RealGM
And1: 39,330

Post#192 » by 2010 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm

Man, fk-a-Randle! Y’all killin’ the good vibes of this thread talking about that oversized Reggie Jackson looking muhfuggah.

:lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#193 » by knickstape21 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:35 pm

2010 wrote:Man, fk-a-Randle! Y’all killin’ the good vibes of this thread talking about that oversized Reggie Jackson looking muhfuggah.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,920

Post#194 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:40 pm

2010 wrote:Man, fk-a-Randle! Y’all killin’ the good vibes of this thread talking about that oversized Reggie Jackson looking muhfuggah.

so does that mean julius randle also looks like Bobby Shmurda? :lol:
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,199

Post#195 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:48 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
I'm usually not a fan of trading picks. At all.

But, the Knicks have 7 #1 picks in the next 4 years, plus however many #2 picks. I mean, even assuming, after all the dust from trades settles, they are back to having 4, that's 11 players within 4 years. Sure, in that period of time, they'll have decisions based on cost, talent and fit, on Frank, DSJr, Knox and immediately with Trier and Dotson. Heck, even RJ, Mitch and Iggy, if we go full 4 years.

That's still quite a few potential young players to fit on the team.

At some point, the team may trade a pick or two.

Of course, it completely worth speculating and stating it's better to hold them in trade for a bonafide star, and I hope that they do. But if the cost is right and if Perrin and Co think LaMelo is worth it, yeah, I'd burn a pick for that.

Ask Danny Ainge if that's enough #1s?

Well, he's the pick hoarder.

Then again, how many of guys he drafted are still on the roster? Not all of them.
I believe Ainge has moved some picks as well.
But getting picks and turning some of the earlier picked players over for more picks is a good cost controlled way to do things.
I'd like the Knicks to get even more picks; was hoping some of these 1 year bum vets could be moved for cap relief and a pick.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with moving picks. In the right scenario.
But a team better be damn sure that the player they are getting exceeds nearly all potential costs of the pick going out, and that includes if the picks might fall lotto and who is in those lotteries.

Picks can be moved, IMHO, if the return is a player who plays at a high level and makes the players around him better, and generally that's a player who scores efficiently and/or facilitates at a high level.

There is certainly a valid debate if LaMelo is/will ever be that guy.
He's not a slam dunk enough, for me, where it would be worth a few picks.
I'm not opposed to the concept of one pick to move up a couple spots, if that's possible.
My gut feeling is the Knicks will move up for him, but then on the other hand the presence of Walt Perrin makes me think it might not happen.
Going to be interesting
RealGM
And1: 39,330

Post#196 » by 2010 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:13 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

so does that mean julius randle also looks like Bobby Shmurda? :lol:

Spoiler:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,350

Post#197 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:CAA takeover

This would've helped 11 years ago when LeBron was still close with all the people we hired... Better late than never, Knicks motto.

This hiring is not at all too late. Wes still has PLENTY of connections, players all around the league know his name/reputation and respect him, he is friends with players who have sons coming up who will join the NBA, he knows all the marketing people at Nike/Addidas/Jordan, and he's still very connected at CAA. Just look at all the tweets calling this a great power move by the KNICKS.

Plus, the man knows basketball and knows talent. I'd rather have him in the room making decisions than Steve Mills.

I'm not saying it was a bad hire.

I have no doubts of the man's connects around the league. I'm sure it's gonna help us tenfold over the previous regime.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,257

Post#198 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

True.

Rise if the Rose.

I already said multiple times that Wiseman is a slim chance to the Knicks (doesn't mean im gonna stop pushing him in the draft threads) :D

So with that being said, I am glad to hear that Leon Rose still believes in DSJ and confirmed that Randle will be back here. Hopefully we can provide more help around Randle so to take off some pressure off him. It's obvious he's not a #1 option but can be a good 3rd-4th option.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,200

Post#199 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Marbury going off

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,525

Post#200 » by GONYK » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Marbury going off

Read on Twitter

Is he saying Wes is all sizzle and no steak?

Return to New York Knicks