ImageImageImageImageImage

Ntillmatic is OUR GUY

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,486

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1961 » by god shammgod » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnicksJesus wrote:
tuna108 wrote:
Those are some Inspector gadget arms!

It is my belief that he will be the best player from this draft.

:wave: Hello again, dkilla.

again. dear lord.

#ibelivethisisgettingridiculous
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,378

Post#1962 » by F N 11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Frank getting props. He's also the starting PG for the knicks in 2k. I think he will start or Baker. all 3 knick point guards dont need to score which is great because we have a bunch or scorers. However with his D and shooting I can see Frank starting off rip.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Re: RE: Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1963 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 pm

bwgood77 wrote:The Ringer' Kevin O'Connor on the dark horse ROY candidates:

Calipari’s quote sums up the public opinion on Ntilikina (for the record, we here at The Ringer call him Frankie Nicotine or Frankie Smokes. Frank works, too) these days. But Coach Cal did hear right: Frank is “really good.” The hurdle for young players trying to earn minutes is defense. Though just 19, Frank comes ready-made to defend, with a strong, muscular 6-foot-5 frame and a long wingspan. Ntilikina doesn’t take his athletic gifts for granted; he plays with a particular intensity and focus not often found in players his age. He puts his body on the line and has a knack for making winning plays by diving for loose balls, jumping passing lanes, or stepping up to take a charge.

The hurdle for young players trying to earn minutes is defense. Though just 19, Frank comes ready-made to defend, with a strong, muscular 6-foot-5 frame and a long wingspan. Ntilikina doesn’t take his athletic gifts for granted; he plays with a particular intensity and focus not often found in players his age. He puts his body on the line and has a knack for making winning plays by diving for loose balls, jumping passing lanes, or stepping up to take a charge. There’s no doubt Ntilikina has vision. His height creates passing angles that other point guards can only dream of. The ingredients are there for Frank to be a hard-to-stop pick-and-roll playmaker. He already can make slick passes like this: (video)

Both Melo and Tim Hardaway Jr. should get a lot of touches, which should help Ntilikina get buckets, considering he shot 38 percent from 3 last season, per DraftExpress.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/14/16303884/dark-horse-rookie-of-the-year-candidates
I'm glad the article mentions Frank's vision. It's very underrated around here.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,165

Post#1964 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Was thinking, there's almost no way that atm Ball or Fox could pull off a competent crossover stepback J ... prolly not even in practice. amiright

#preOctHype

Ball's issue is his really oddball looking shooting form. Would be hard to imagine it in a crossover stepback J. Fox needs to work on his ability to play at different speeds. He's great full tilt but being able to consistently pull of a competent crossover stepback J needs him to be able to quickly change speeds and direction and show advanced slight of hand ball skills which he's not really shown a lot of.

How's that? :D

I thought Fox had some sort of elite ability to get airborne/jump while at speed. I forget the scouting report, but there was some aspect of the way he drives that someone analyzed at being very translatable right away to the NBA. Obviously this doesn't have to do with shooting, but I think it was to the point that Fox could be effective without a jumper right away.

Ball obviously the form looks weird as hell and the release looks low, but he has long range on it. Ball's success will be in large part to how fearful defenders are that he can beat them off the dribble. Then he'll have lots of room for his jumper. I guess it could be sort of an issue if he's defended tight, but he seemed fine in top level college in spite of this.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,850

Post#1965 » by DOT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 pm

GONYK wrote:

Calipari’s quote sums up the public opinion on Ntilikina (for the record, we here at The Ringer call him Frankie Nicotine or Frankie Smokes. Frank works, too) these days. But Coach Cal did hear right: Frank is “really good.” The hurdle for young players trying to earn minutes is defense. Though just 19, Frank comes ready-made to defend, with a strong, muscular 6-foot-5 frame and a long wingspan. Ntilikina doesn’t take his athletic gifts for granted; he plays with a particular intensity and focus not often found in players his age. He puts his body on the line and has a knack for making winning plays by diving for loose balls, jumping passing lanes, or stepping up to take a charge.

The hurdle for young players trying to earn minutes is defense. Though just 19, Frank comes ready-made to defend, with a strong, muscular 6-foot-5 frame and a long wingspan. Ntilikina doesn’t take his athletic gifts for granted; he plays with a particular intensity and focus not often found in players his age. He puts his body on the line and has a knack for making winning plays by diving for loose balls, jumping passing lanes, or stepping up to take a charge. There’s no doubt Ntilikina has vision. His height creates passing angles that other point guards can only dream of. The ingredients are there for Frank to be a hard-to-stop pick-and-roll playmaker. He already can make slick passes like this: (video)

Both Melo and Tim Hardaway Jr. should get a lot of touches, which should help Ntilikina get buckets, considering he shot 38 percent from 3 last season, per DraftExpress.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/14/16303884/dark-horse-rookie-of-the-year-candidates

That's cause he's only a triangle point guard

He never runs any PnR, he just passes the ball into the post and stands in the corner, literally no other basketball skills on offense
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#1966 » by Dave DaButcher » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Rooting hard for this kid, who I think represents precisely what this team needs to embody. However, part of me hopes he won't be RoY caliber just yet. If he is, when combined with the expected leap forward in KP this year, we may be priced out of a 2018 top 5 pick, which we so desperately need for the long-term plan.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,541

Post#1967 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:12 pm

K-DOT wrote:
GONYK wrote:

That's cause he's only a triangle point guard

He never runs any PnR, he just passes the ball into the post and stands in the corner, literally no other basketball skills on offense

green font?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,819

Post#1968 » by omerome » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:Rooting hard for this kid, who I think represents precisely what this team needs to embody. However, part of me hopes he won't be RoY caliber just yet. If he is, when combined with the expected leap forward in KP this year, we may be priced out of a 2018 top 5 pick, which we so desperately need for the long-term plan.

Frank and KP being better than expected imo would be the best thing that could happen to us and would fast track us in the rebuilding process. I'll take that over going through another bad year.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#1969 » by Dave DaButcher » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 pm

omerome wrote:
Dave DaButcher wrote:Rooting hard for this kid, who I think represents precisely what this team needs to embody. However, part of me hopes he won't be RoY caliber just yet. If he is, when combined with the expected leap forward in KP this year, we may be priced out of a 2018 top 5 pick, which we so desperately need for the long-term plan.

Frank and KP being better than expected imo would be the best thing that could happen to us and would fast track us in the rebuilding process. I'll take that over going through another bad year.

Yes, I hear you. Having an all-star caliber KP and Frank emerging as a very good young PG would be great on many levels. However, those two by themselves, even if they continue to develop well, won't be enough if we ever hope to compete for championships.

I recognize we have other complimentary pieces (Billy, hopefully THJ). But we will still need a third young stud, and the 2018 draft looks to be stacked at the top with high level potential talent. Personally, I'd trade another bad W-L year for a shot at one of them.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#1970 » by robillionaire » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:
omerome wrote:

Yes, I hear you. Having an all-star caliber KP and Frank emerging as a very good young PG would be great on many levels. However, those two by themselves, even if they continue to develop well, won't be enough if we ever hope to compete for championships.

I recognize we have other complimentary pieces (Billy, hopefully THJ). But we will still need a third young stud, and the 2018 draft looks to be stacked at the top with high level potential talent. Personally, I'd trade another bad W-L year for a shot at one of them.

Ideally frank and KP would be better than expected but the team still sucks because they let Melo shoot 20 times a game so he can prove he's higher than #64 and the bench is trash, and we intentionally tank the end of the season. then Melo leaves in the offseason to join Houston and we draft Doncic
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#1971 » by fatalogic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 pm

This quote from the ringer article scares me the most.
With good coaching (which he will hopefully receive in New York) and a good attitude and diligent work ethic (which I’m told he has) his technical skills can be improved.

New York’s focus should be on player development, which means Ntilikina should receive heavy minutes and usage. Even if his efficiency is low, the volume should thrust his name into the Rookie of the Year debate.

Good coaching and player development from the Knicks is a hard thing for me to count on. On the other hand Perry seeming has made hires that at the very least demonstrate an attempt to get better at player development. Plus Frank seems to have a high work ethic and is working hard at improving his game. If he maintains that type of attitude throughout his career maybe he can become a player like Kawhi or Butler who had weakness coming out of college but became all stars through hard work.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,853

Post#1972 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm

fatalogic wrote:This quote from the ringer article scares me the most.
With good coaching (which he will hopefully receive in New York) and a good attitude and diligent work ethic (which I’m told he has) his technical skills can be improved.

New York’s focus should be on player development, which means Ntilikina should receive heavy minutes and usage. Even if his efficiency is low, the volume should thrust his name into the Rookie of the Year debate.

Good coaching and player development from the Knicks is a hard thing for me to count on. On the other hand Perry seeming has made hires that at the very least demonstrate an attempt to get better at player development. Plus Frank seems to have a high work ethic and is working hard at improving his game. If he maintains that type of attitude throughout his career maybe he can become a player like Kawhi or Butler who had weakness coming out of college but became all stars through hard work.

I hate this running generality that gets thrown around about the Knicks. We've done a relatively good job developing players since Phil took over. I'd say Kp has developed fine. Wily was a double double machine towards the end of the year. We got Lang Galloway paid. Shved played some of his best basketball for us. DWill played his best basketball with us and we probably helped keep him in the league for 2 more years. Baker showed flashes last year and improved his pg abilities a lot last year. We just haven't had ample draft picks, nevermind high ones, to really develop young guys over the years...
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,737

Post#1973 » by adjacent2bench » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 am

Dave DaButcher wrote:
omerome wrote:

Same. Especially in the Lebron/Warriors era where we have zero chance.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,334

Post#1974 » by Garbagelo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:48 am

Our player development is actually quite good if you consider all of the obstacles hanging about in the organization such as having selfish veterans, front office/player clashing, and constantly having different coaches.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1975 » by malik959 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 am

adjacent2bench wrote:
Dave DaButcher wrote:
omerome wrote:Frank and KP being better than expected imo would be the best thing that could happen to us and would fast track us in the rebuilding process. I'll take that over going through another bad year.

Same. Especially in the Lebron/Warriors era where we have zero chance.

I still just can't see us making the bottom 5 in this draft with other teams just dropping like flies.:
1.Chicago (Fell off)
2.Atlanta (Fell off)
3.Indiana (Got worse)
4.Brooklyn
5.Pheonix
6.Detroit (Got worse)
7.LAL (Don't know why some think this is a playoff team, still think they have a long way to go.)
8.New York
9.Utah (got Worse)
10.Dallas

We should be in the same boat as last year, so looking at players to replace Melo:
1.Kevin Knox
2.Miles Bridges (my pick)
3.Jarred Vanderbilt
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1976 » by Greenie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:28 am

Hearing good things.
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#1977 » by NYKnicks6 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:43 am

If Frank plays like a ROY candidate and KP takes a leap forward and we miss out on a top 10 pick we can't be too mad because that means we have 2 great young players. However if we miss out on a top 5 with Melo, Lee, Beasley, Jack, LT getting major minutes over the youngins, then we have a problem
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,127

Post#1978 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:17 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
fatalogic wrote:This quote from the ringer article scares me the most.

I hate this running generality that gets thrown around about the Knicks. We've done a relatively good job developing players since Phil took over. I'd say Kp has developed fine. Wily was a double double machine towards the end of the year. We got Lang Galloway paid. Shved played some of his best basketball for us. DWill played his best basketball with us and we probably helped keep him in the league for 2 more years. Baker showed flashes last year and improved his pg abilities a lot last year. We just haven't had ample draft picks, nevermind high ones, to really develop young guys over the years...

Sorry dude, it's been sh**, and it's been bad ever since Phil. Phil gets no credit for me. If he's trying to develop players, he had a funny way of showing it, with bad coaching (RAMBIS, Horny lol), bad philosophy (triangle or gtfo), or bad signings who dominated the basketball to get his own paycheck (DRose). Oh, and he had a good habit of blasting people over social media and causing chaos in the locker room. All these things affect player development. The best way to develop players is not individually. You put them in good situations, with good leadership and training.

1. KP --- the guy who half the board craps on for no iso skills. The guy who skipped his exit meetings and where there were leaks about how frustrated he was with the team's dysfunction, who privately complained about Rose. Yes, that guy.
2. Willy --- Year 1 = good scouting. Year 2= development. Let's see what happens.
3. Langston Galloway, Lance Thomas, Baker, DWill ...yay.

In fact, we had to re-sign THJ after he left for Atlanta. It took him leaving us for the Hawks system before he got better at defense, at scoring, at being mature.

I have nothing against optimism, but I really don't appreciate unrealistic optimism or re-writing of history. Our franchise has been crap at developing, but hopefully things will get better for the future. If we have stability in the front office and we can stick to our philosophy now, then things will improve. But no, our franchise has proved nothing.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,656

Post#1979 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:57 am

Frankenstein will be ROY
:beer: RIP mags
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,842

Post#1980 » by Triple C » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:24 pm