ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 NY Knicks trade ideas

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeffrey
General Manager
And1: 5,321

Re: 2023-24 NY Knicks trade ideas 

Post#1981 » by Jeffrey » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:58 pm

cgf wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:It is possible to get a player in the 25-30m (like Jerami Grant) range this deadline. You will need to add a 3rd team like San Antonio. They can figure out the draft capital but from a salary perspective, this actually works:

Knicks get:
Jerami Grant (can't be traded until Jan. 15)

SA get
Jericho Sims or Arcidiacono

Portland gets
Fournier
McDermott

And yes, Jerami Grant is my no.1 target. He is an offensive weapon and a great defender. We can push OG to the 2 spot and Grant at the 3. Grant can also defend multiple positions.

Brunson
OG
Grant
Randle
iHart

Depends on what OG & IH cost to re-sign. Without Fournier we’d have just ~55M under the 2nd apron. If 25 of that is going to Grant, we probably wouldn’t be able to aggregate salaries in trades any more. So any future swaps would have to be 1 for 1s

You're right. We will need to decide in a year on figure out if Randle is good next to Brunson. Both players will opt out after 2025 and go after super max contracts. They have this deadline and next offseason to either make that shake up or stay committed as Randle and Brunson as the 2 main guys.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,352

Post#1982 » by TrueWarrior » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:58 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
cgf wrote:
We do probably need a backup center, but we need another creator most of all. Either a starting SG to push DiVincenzo to the bench...or just replace him in the rotation if he's good enough...or more of a 6th man type to replace Quickley. A backup PG could work to, but I think we need more of a combo guard than a point.

Depending on the price I think any of these could make sense for us to target:

Brogdon
Hield
Olnyk + Sexton/Clarkson
Tyus Jones + Gafford
Rozier + Richards
Lavine...if we can get him without including Grimes or any unprotected future FRPs

Im in favor of the lower cost options like Brogdon, Sexton, or Rozier for that 6th man type we need.

Brogdon makes a whole lot of sense especially, with his size and shooting, and he’s obviously used to coming off the bench already. The Blazers prob dont want to keep him and shouldn’t be too expensive if we wanted him.

Murray and Lavine just dont feel right to me. I can be talked into Murray depending on the deal, but my gut is telling me to stay away and be patient.

We should at least see if some of our players can step their games up before we do anything. Thats my main thing. Give McBride, Grimes, and Precious a few more weeks and if they fail then make a deadline deal.

I'm bullish on Murray and maybe Capela in the deal (Atl wants to move one from bith supposedly) but Sexton/Olynyk sounds quite intriguing as a close second for me.

Sexton and Olynyk seem perfect for what we need yeah. Just the whole Ainge thing wed have to deal with.

What kind of trade would you see us making for them? Fournier, McBride, and a few picks? Theyd make us better but we wouldnt have much to trade after that.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,075

Post#1983 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:00 pm

stuporman wrote:At this rate Bridges won't even cost a single unprotected pick let alone the half dozen they were hoping for.

Yes I've started to watch that dumsper fire. I would prefer him over Murray. I said this couldnt happen but if we were able to trade for OG- then almost anything is possible.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,763

Post#1984 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:06 pm

Leaving the Nets angle aside, there is a big reason why a trade seems impossible. The Nets don't own their own first round pick this year. It goes to Houston---unprotected. Same for Brooklyn's 2026 draft choice---unprotected to Houston. Hence, no trade where they get picks for talent makes really sense for them. Keep that in mind. If they were to consider trading Bridges, it would be for better talent or better fits--not draft picks.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,337

Post#1985 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:06 pm

cgf wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh ****, 3team trade? It’s happening…

CHI: Grant + DiVincenzo
POR: Fournier + DAL FRP + DET FRP
NYK : Lavine

:P

The only sources RR has are from deep within his anal cavity
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#1986 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:10 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Im in favor of the lower cost options like Brogdon, Sexton, or Rozier for that 6th man type we need.

Brogdon makes a whole lot of sense especially, with his size and shooting, and he’s obviously used to coming off the bench already. The Blazers prob dont want to keep him and shouldn’t be too expensive if we wanted him.

Murray and Lavine just dont feel right to me. I can be talked into Murray depending on the deal, but my gut is telling me to stay away and be patient.

We should at least see if some of our players can step their games up before we do anything. Thats my main thing. Give McBride, Grimes, and Precious a few more weeks and if they fail then make a deadline deal.

I'm bullish on Murray and maybe Capela in the deal (Atl wants to move one from bith supposedly) but Sexton/Olynyk sounds quite intriguing as a close second for me.

Sexton and Olynyk seem perfect for what we need yeah. Just the whole Ainge thing wed have to deal with.

What kind of trade would you see us making for them? Fournier, McBride, and a few picks? Theyd make us better but we wouldnt have much to trade after that.

Sexton brings a big downside.....he is 6'1 and you really wouldn't want to play him alongside Brunson for any minutes at all. At the same time he is too good to be a 15 minute backup. You have to play him at least 25minutes....would you really want 10 minutes of Brunson and Sexton sharing the backcourt? I think it would be a disaster defensively.

Brunson-Murray is much more playable on the defensive end. You give Murray all the backup PG minutes where he is free to create, you play him 15 minutes alongside Brunson as well. He got his contract extension, he is a good passer and used to be a good defender (all-defense votes). To me, if I had to choose between those two I would prefer Murray by a lot. Even if Brunson-Murray doesn't work out perfectly....in 1 or 2 years you can trade Murray for better fitting pieces....he is like an investment...he won't be losing any value 2-3 years from now...
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1987 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:11 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:Leaving the Nets angle aside, there is a big reason why a trade seems impossible. The Nets don't own their own first round pick this year. It goes to Houston---unprotected. Same for Brooklyn's 2026 draft choice---unprotected to Houston. Hence, no trade where they get picks for talent makes really sense for them. Keep that in mind. If they were to consider trading Bridges, it would be for better talent or better fits--not draft picks.

Unless they decide to tear it down...in that case they'd want to replace those picks.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#1988 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:13 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
cgf wrote:
egelband wrote:What are the Knicks to needs? With Robinson out I would have thought they need a center. But seems most posters here want to bring in a PG. Just wondering.

We do probably need a backup center, but we need another creator most of all. Either a starting SG to push DiVincenzo to the bench...or just replace him in the rotation if he's good enough...or more of a 6th man type to replace Quickley. A backup PG could work to, but I think we need more of a combo guard than a point.

Depending on the price I think any of these could make sense for us to target:

Brogdon
Hield
Olnyk + Sexton/Clarkson
Tyus Jones + Gafford
Rozier + Richards
Lavine...if we can get him without including Grimes or any unprotected future FRPs

We should at least see if some of our players can step their games up before we do anything. Thats my main thing. Give McBride, Grimes, Precious, and Sims a few more weeks and if they fail then make a deadline deal.

Brogdon would probably be my preferred target if Achuiwa/Sims/smallball can give Hartenstein enough rest because I really appreciate our FO's patient/gradual approach, but I go back and forth on whether we should focus our assets on the single biggest upgrade we can make without interfering with any future trade plans, or if we should split our resources.

I'll root for whichever option we opt for, and I am optimistic that even if we got Murray and he was a disaster for us he'd retain enough of his value because teams would still be able to tell themselves that he only failed for us & Atlanta because we played him at the 2 instead of the point. But I can't say that I would not be worried about the negative impact he could have on our spacing & chemistry.

Something we aren't talking about yet is that once we hit that 2nd apron, we won't be able to aggregate salaries in trades anymore. So unless we can swing a trade for an MVP caliber guy this summer/next season, we'll need somebody to be making over 40M to match salaries in a 1-for-1.

Now if our FO has knowledge that a Embiid, Luka, or Booker will be available this summer, that doesn't matter. Even if re-signing our guys took us over the 2nd apron post-trade, we could just wait to re-sign our guts until after the trade. But if nobody better than Mitchell will be available before Brunson & Randle's extensions make us a super-tax team, we'll need someone we can trade on an MVP salary.

Definitely agree that we should take advantage of this time we have before the TDL to see how things shake out post trade to see if that makes the decision any clearer.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#1989 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:14 pm

RHODEY wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:Leaving the Nets angle aside, there is a big reason why a trade seems impossible. The Nets don't own their own first round pick this year. It goes to Houston---unprotected. Same for Brooklyn's 2026 draft choice---unprotected to Houston. Hence, no trade where they get picks for talent makes really sense for them. Keep that in mind. If they were to consider trading Bridges, it would be for better talent or better fits--not draft picks.

Unless they decide to tear it down...in that cased they'd want to replace those picks.

True---but would tearing it down make sense if they don't have their 2024, 2025 (pick swap) and 2026 pick? It would be a nightmare having top 10 pick after top 10 pick going to Houston while they get 25-30ish picks from us.

I think you'll see the Nets as one of the most aggressive teams in trying to upgrade their team at the deadline...they can't afford to be handing lottery picks in 3 straight seasons to Houston...their FO certainly wouldn't survive that..
cgf
RealGM

Post#1990 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:15 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

Jazz fans seem to think that Fournier + WSH FRP + UTA/MIA SRP would be fair for Olnyk + our choice of Sexton/Clarkson, but they're not sure about just how much Ainge loves Olnyk...Trader Dan did just give Bogey away for him.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

cgf
RealGM

Post#1991 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:21 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:It is possible to get a player in the 25-30m (like Jerami Grant) range this deadline. You will need to add a 3rd team like San Antonio. They can figure out the draft capital but from a salary perspective, this actually works:

Knicks get:
Jerami Grant (can't be traded until Jan. 15)

SA get
Jericho Sims or Arcidiacono

Portland gets
Fournier
McDermott

And yes, Jerami Grant is my no.1 target. He is an offensive weapon and a great defender. We can push OG to the 2 spot and Grant at the 3. Grant can also defend multiple positions.

Brunson
OG
Grant
Randle
iHart

Depends on what OG & IH cost to re-sign. Without Fournier we’d have just ~55M under the 2nd apron. If 25 of that is going to Grant, we probably wouldn’t be able to aggregate salaries in trades any more. So any future swaps would have to be 1 for 1s

You're right. We will need to decide in a year on figure out if Randle is good next to Brunson. Both players will opt out after 2025 and go after super max contracts. They have this deadline and next offseason to either make that shake up or stay committed as Randle and Brunson as the 2 main guys.

Not necessarily. You can still make trades when you're over the 2nd apron, you just can't aggregate salaries to match so any future "kawhi trade" would have to be 1-for-1*.

That's part of why I don't mind Lavine's salary as much, if we can't land an Embiid / Doncic / Booker this summer, then having Lavine's salary to match with would actually give us more flexibility to trade for an MVP caliber guy than a smaller salary guy like Murray or Brogdon because we wouldn't be forced to include one of Randle or Brunson.

*You can still add picks as a super-tax team, the salaries just have to work 1-for-1

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1992 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:22 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Unless they decide to tear it down...in that cased they'd want to replace those picks.

True---but would tearing it down make sense if they don't have their 2024, 2025 (pick swap) and 2026 pick? It would be a nightmare having top 10 pick after top 10 pick going to Houston while they get 25-30ish picks from us.

I think you'll see the Nets as one of the most aggressive teams in trying to upgrade their team at the deadline...they can't afford to be handing lottery picks in 3 straight seasons to Houston...their FO certainly wouldn't survive that..

If you are not competitive as a team now....they aren't...and you don't have assets to appreciably improve ..they don't...then some picks and youth are better than nothing.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,605

Post#1993 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:23 pm

I took my first glance of the season at the tankathon draft predictions with the Knicks holding the 16 and 18 picks...this draft looks pretty weak with the top 5 being g-league and international players. Although, I'll have to dig into the video to see who the potential gems may be.

Trade the picks or at least one of them for quality younger vets on reasonable contracts that have a couple of years left, which can help fill in the blanks of the roster. I doubt either of them can be used for a final piece trade but if they can and that player comes available by all means do it.

I'll miss IQ but he allowed the Knicks to add a crucially necessary player in OG without giving up much in the way of draft assets and as long as the Knicks FO don't screw the pooch on a follow up roster filling role player deal they are set for the big deal.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#1994 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:30 pm

RHODEY wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If you are not competitive as a team now....they arent...and you don't have assets to improve ..they don't...then some picks and youth are better than nothing.

Well they have 6 FRPs incoming from the KD , Irving and Harden trades--I think you'll see them super aggressive offering up those picks along with say Cam Thomas for example for upgrades....but I guess we'll see what they decide to do.
cgf
RealGM

Post#1995 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:30 pm

RHODEY wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

If you are not competitive as a team now....they aren't...and you don't have assets to appreciably improve ..they don't...then some picks and youth are better than nothing.

They'll have capspace in 2025, when NY-native Donovan Mitchell is scheduled to hit FA, and they have unprotected picks from Phoenix that could be juicy. Selling vets like DFS & O'Neale seems likely...maybe even CJ...but it's tough to see them giving Mikal up until they know they won't be able to woo Spida with him.

TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,352

Post#1996 » by TrueWarrior » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:36 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
Sexton brings a big downside.....he is 6'1 and you really wouldn't want to play him alongside Brunson for any minutes at all. At the same time he is too good to be a 15 minute backup. You have to play him at least 25minutes....would you really want 10 minutes of Brunson and Sexton sharing the backcourt? I think it would be a disaster defensively.

Brunson-Murray is much more playable on the defensive end. You give Murray all the backup PG minutes where he is free to create, you play him 15 minutes alongside Brunson as well. He got his contract extension, he is a good passer and used to be a good defender (all-defense votes). To me, if I had to choose between those two I would prefer Murray by a lot. Even if Brunson-Murray doesn't work out perfectly....in 1 or 2 years you can trade Murray for better fitting pieces....he is like an investment...he won't be losing any value 2-3 years from now...

Getting Murray is okay if hes not too expensive, for the reasons you gave.

I just have a bad feeling about him. Seems overrated and a little nutty upstairs. All his cryptic Tweets and Instagram posts are annoying too. Its not a given that he will still have good value if he fails here. His contract isnt awful but hes not cheap either. Good teams wouldn’t give up much for him if he cant fit into a team concept or show he can help win games. They definitely wouldn’t trade their star for him unless he shows that.

Murray would have to be okay with a reduced role on offense and playing mainly with the bench here. Cant help but feel hes going to bring back many of the same issues RJ brought.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,971

Post#1997 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:39 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

We have 8-9 tradeable firsts next few years.

Lets say it takes Grimes,Fournier and 2-3 FRPs...

We would then have 5-6 tradeable FRPs Sexton ,Randle and possibly Mitchell Robinson as tradeable assets for a top superstar in the offseason.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#1998 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:43 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

This is the big positive here with going Murray over Sexton. And you can potentially expand trade to include Capela too. Murray adds a size dynamic, rebound dynamic and potential defensive dynamic that the team would greatly benefit from in Thibs system.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#1999 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:49 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:

I just have a bad feeling about him. Seems overrated and a little nutty upstairs. All his little cryptic Tweets and Instagram posts are annoying too. Its not a given that he will still have good value if he fails here. His contract isnt awful but hes not cheap either. Good teams wouldn’t give up much for him if he cant fit into a team concept or show he can help win games. They definitely wouldn’t trade their star for him unless he shows that.

Murray would have to be okay with a reduced role on offense and playing mainly with the bench here. Cant help but feel hes going to bring back many of the same issues RJ brought.

Take a look here...mainly covering his defense, passing and midrange:

I think he may be worth a gamble if the price is right. I wouldn't mind it...6'5 and huge wingspan....if motivated seems to have elite defensive ability. I think we need some sort of insurance even for a minor Brunson injury. That's probably the biggest need right now.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#2000 » by KnixinSix » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:50 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:

I just have a bad feeling about him. Seems overrated and a little nutty upstairs. All his little cryptic Tweets and Instagram posts are annoying too. Its not a given that he will still have good value if he fails here. His contract isnt awful but hes not cheap either. Good teams wouldn’t give up much for him if he cant fit into a team concept or show he can help win games. They definitely wouldn’t trade their star for him unless he shows that.

Rough minutes distribution:

Hartenstein (24), Capela(24)

Randle (34), OG (14)

OG(20), Hart (24), DDV (4)

Murray (23), DDV (22), Hart (3)

Brunson (34), Murray (10), McBride (4)

Murray doesn't need that much a reduced role if you break out the approximate minute distribution across an 8 or 9 man rotation

Return to New York Knicks