ImageImageImageImageImage

Tracking Immanuel Quickley's Rookie Statistics

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,557

Re: Tracking Immanuel Quickley's Rookie Statistics 

Post#21 » by Zenzibar » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:After looking a little deeper into his numbers last night, I thought it would be helpful to have a place where we could see how our boy is trending throughout his rookie season. This kid has really been something so far to the eye test, but the thing that has me unbelievably hyped is how much advanced metrics absolutely love what he's doing. The deeper-dive stats historically destroy rookies, and especially rookie guards, but Immanuel's advanced metrics are even better than his impressive traditional numbers at this point.

Obviously things can change, but we're now 30 games into the season and there are a bunch of statistical lights flashing above IQ right now - lights that normally aren't associated with anything but the best combo guard rookies. And certainly not 25th overall picks in the draft.

Post any Quickley statistical observations in here as the season progresses, and to get it started here's some of what he's done through last night's (2/15) games:

• 3rd in raw PPG (12.5) for rookies, behind LaMelo (14.6) and Edwards (14.3), despite those two logging 50% more minutes. If we adjust for playing time, we find Quick is...
  • 1st in scoring per36 (23.3). In fact, that puts IQ at 25th overall amongst all qualified players in the entire NBA, and ahead of guys like Sexton, Harden, Middleton, Hayward, and Randle.
  • 1st amongst all rookies in NBA.com's all-encompassing PIE (Player Impact Estimate), at 12.7. Lamelo (12.4) and Haliburton (11.4) are 2nd and 3rd. When removing the rookie filter, Quickley's 12.7 PIE puts him 66th in the NBA, and higher than Brogdon, Ayton, Hayward, Jrue, D. Mitchell, Fox, VanVleet, and Booker.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Win Shares with 1.7, fractionally ahead Haliburton's own 1.7. He trails only LaMelo (1.8) despite WS being a counting stat and Ball (as well as Haliburton) playing 50% more minutes than him. In fact, if we convert WS to a rate stat to adjust for playing time, IQ is...
  • 1st amongst all rookies who have played at least 100 minutes in WS/48, at .164. This takes raw Win Shares and adjusts for playing time. Xavier TIllman (.142) and Isaiah Stewart (.122) are 2nd and 3rd. Haliburton (.114) and Ball (.113) drop to 4th and 5th. Amongst all NBA players IQ's .164 ties him with Julius, and places him above Ben Simmons, Trae, Jaylen Brown, SGA, LaVine, Beal, and Mitchell.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Offensive Rating (111.4) behind only Desmond Bane's 112.3. In contrast to Bane, though, he is...
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Unassisted FG% (67.0% of his FGM were unassisted), which is a strong indication that he can create his own shot. He trails only Cole Anthony's 70.3%. LaMelo is at 52.6%, and Haliburton is 37.8%. Bane ranks dead last at 12.0% - a pure catch and shoot guy.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Net Rating (5.5) which is the difference between a player's offensive rating and his defensive rating. Quickley trails only Jaden McDaniels' 5.9. To put this in perspective, LaMelo is currently posting a -0.8, and Haliburton is at a -5.5. Removing the rookie filter, IQ's 5.5 puts him ahead of Tatum, Draymond, Butler, CP3, Booker, Lillard, and Trae.
  • 1st in FTA (73) amongst all rookies, despite play hundreds of minutes less than others at the top of the list.
  • 3rd in FTr (.299, which is the ratio of FTA to FGA) amongst all rookies, behind only two bigs, Precious and Wiseman. He's lightyears ahead of the other rookie guards. League-wide, his .299 FTr places him just ahead of Booker, Lou, Westbrook, Hayward, Lavine, and Steph.
  • 2nd in Turnover Ratio (6.7%) amongst rookies, behind only Tyrese Maxey (5.8%).
  • 3rd in Assist Rate (23.9%) amongst rookies, behind LaMelo (32.4%) and Haliburton (25.2%).
  • 2nd in Asst/TO ratio (2.83) amongst rookies, behind only Haliburton (3.20)

Hope you don't mind, I posted these stats in the GB and gave you all the credit for it.
Stop All Genocides
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,541

Post#22 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
blueNorange wrote:great video.

why he said, "the literal worst basketball player i've ever seen?!" lawwwwd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

just checked and that kid(literally, doesn't turn 20 until december) is really struggling, 24% from the field.

he should be in the g league, being 7 foot tall and 190 pounds in the nba isn't going to result in positive numbers.

i thought they did send him down. i agree they should let him marinate while his body comes together.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,543

Post#23 » by Grinditout » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm

He's the Donovan Mitchell/SGA of the draft class for sure
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,501

Post#24 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 am

Lets delete this topic lol
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,372

Post#25 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:09 am

Read on Twitter
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#26 » by DickGrayson » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 am

Kampuchea wrote:We can take Haliburton and IQ both? That would have been an epic draft.

Indeed.

I also believe theres been propoganda pushed by dramatic Knick fans who assumed we wouldn't take IQ if we took Haliburton...even though 20-30 was filled with guards and one euro big. If we did pick a guard with the 8th, we had to take the best value left and it was going to be a guard at the 20-30 range no matter who picked we at 8.

We lucked out with Quickley.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,638

Post#27 » by Fat Kat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#28 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Mar 1, 2021 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#29 » by Tron Carter » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Read on Twitter
R.I.P Black Mamba
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,650

Post#30 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:10 am

So let me throw some dirty bath water on all this Quicksanity talk. He's not a good playmaker/PG. He's not good at organizing an offense and his handle is weak. His BBIQ, no pun intended, can use some improvement to say the least. And, finally, his defense right now is erratic which is why I think the Knicks are looking for guard help. I think if we get another veteran guard, it's IQ's minutes that are going to go down. Thibs doesn't trust him for the playoffs.

Am I wrong?
Free Palestine
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#31 » by BugginOut » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So let me throw some dirty bath water on all this Quicksanity talk. He's not a good playmaker/PG. He's not good at organizing an offense and his handle is weak. His BBIQ, no pun intended, can use some improvement to say the least. And, finally, his defense right now is erratic which is why I think the Knicks are looking for guard help. I think if we get another veteran guard, it's IQ's minutes that are going to go down. Thibs doesn't trust him for the playoffs.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, but he was the 25 pick of the draft and is putting up 25+ games off the bench regularly and has won us multiple games so far. He has a lot to work on, but his shooting is legit and right now his floor is basically a Lou Will/Crawford 6MOY type player. With Thibs hopefully he develops into a better defender than either of those two, and he has potential on that end because he was one of the best defenders in the SEC.

If we get a vet I doubt we bury him completely since he's been the FO's bright spot this season , but Thibs will continue to pull him if he doesn't think he is "on" that night, since his lack of being able to finish at the rim kills any chance of him getting easy offense when his shot isn't falling.

Still advanced stats show his impact as having one of the best offensive seasons for a rookie in the past 10 years. If he can improve on half the things he needs to (better playmaking, finishing at the rim, handle, defense, etc.), he will be an multi time all-star.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,650

Post#32 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:19 am

BugginOut wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So let me throw some dirty bath water on all this Quicksanity talk. He's not a good playmaker/PG. He's not good at organizing an offense and his handle is weak. His BBIQ, no pun intended, can use some improvement to say the least. And, finally, his defense right now is erratic which is why I think the Knicks are looking for guard help. I think if we get another veteran guard, it's IQ's minutes that are going to go down. Thibs doesn't trust him for the playoffs.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, but he was the 25 pick of the draft and is putting up 25+ games off the bench regularly and has won us multiple games so far. He has a lot to work on, but his shooting is legit and right now his floor is basically a Lou Will/Crawford 6MOY type player. With Thibs hopefully he develops into a better defender than either of those two, and he has potential on that end because he was one of the best defenders in the SEC.

If we get a vet I doubt we bury him completely since he's been the FO's bright spot this season, but Thibs will continue to pull him if he doesn't think he is "on" that night, since his lack of being able to finish at the rim kills any chance of him getting easy offense when his shot isn't falling.

Still advanced stats show his impact as having one of the best offensive seasons for a rookie in the past 10 years. If he can improve on half the things he needs to (better playmaking, finishing at the rim, handle, defense, etc.), he will be an multi time all-star.

Thibs is so old school though, like to a fault. When I think Thibs, I think Pops in terms of their approach to coaching, particularly in the playoffs. Your points about IQ are facts. Personally, I think IQ has Ice in his veins and will look forward to the challenge. It's more about Thibs than IQ. :lol:

Honestly, if we make the playoffs, I thing our approach should be to play loose like we're playing with house money.
Free Palestine
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#33 » by WargamesX » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Am I wrong?

He's erratic because he is a rookie, but i wouldn't say he isn't a good at any of things you mentioned. We've seen more than our share of players bad at those things.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#34 » by TheJordanRule » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Bulls fan here, but I'm an IQ admirer. Love what IQ's game is. He would be starting from the jump on many NBA teams. Be patient with IQ. For IQ's long term development, Thibs is limiting IQ's playing time and probably making very specific requests on habits IQ must build in order to get more PT. Thibs has a reputation of being hard on rookies-- and he IS incredibly hard on rookies-- but he develops talent. Guys like Kobe Bryant, Jimmy Butler, Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah flourished under his leadership. Thibs has great defensive focus-- which is why three of those four guys became beasts on the defensive end. On the flip side, Thibs runs a "system" half court offense, one that's very traditional-- which is why all of those guys have a half court focused game. I expect IQ to break out to insane all-star levels in just his second or third season because IQ is a freak of nature and because Thibs is at the helm giving IQ guidance. Enjoy the ride! It may be frustrating at times during this year because IQ is on the bench so often, but it's gonna kick into high gear in a hot minute.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#35 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Read on Twitter
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#36 » by SelbyCobra » Mon May 3, 2021 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,898

Post#37 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 10:07 pm

Quickley is gonna be an All-Star.

It's not just about the numbers, which are impressive across the board yet subdued by Thibs's old-school coaching philosophy. It's moreso about skill set.

How many guards can shoot off the dribble from 3, play off the ball, have a lightning quick first step, draw fouls and convert at the line and not turn the ball over (despite a handle that needs work)?

I guess at the lower end of the spectrum is someone like Lou Will, who never consistently impacted winning despite his accolades as a 6th man of the year. But Quickley's upside could be Gilbert Arenas, CJ McCollum or Bradley Beal, or something we've never even seen before.

I think IQ is special. And untouchable.

Return to New York Knicks