ImageImageImageImageImage

Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Re: Democratic Primary Thread: The Deuce 

Post#2001 » by Oscirus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:09 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Well, the CNBC poll was from Change Research, who 538 designates as a low quality pollster. Their average MOE is almost 7%.

Like I said, there may be tightening, but this one poll doesn't lead to that conclusion.

Luckily, we are about to hit post-convention time, where we will be flooded with polling and the picture will become clearer.

If it looks like that in 2-3 weeks, then we can start to have some real discussions.

Hard to believe Trump gets a bump from this convention. The Democrats had higher ratings (25% more viewers last I read) and a significant portion of the viewers of the RNC were rubber neckers slowing down to view the wreckage of this spectacle.

I think it's inevitable Trump gets some bump. More people are going to come online at this point as terms of awareness around the election.

The ebb and flow of this dictate Trump getting closer until the next big news event or whatever.

The Biden counter strategy is really going to start to become more pronounced at this point as well.

Having the gap close only helps biden as it stops voters from not voting due to the results being obvious. I honestly hope trump gets a bump.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,879

Post#2002 » by Pointgod » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Stannis wrote:Looks like Trump leads over Biden in independent voters as well:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know you’re all doom and gloom because Bernie isn’t the Democratic nominee but I’ll remind you if you’re truly that worried about Biden losing, you’re not a passive observer here. You can register people to vote, can become a volunteer to inform people about voting by mail and making sure they know how to vote all from the comfort of your own home. I don’t know if twitter users like Brianna Joy Grey and Kyle Kulinski encourage people to register to vote and instruct them how to vote by mail but if you want to help you should follow and retweet people who are doing that.

Kudos to you if you’re doing all this already.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,626

Post#2003 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:51 pm

GONYK wrote:
Stannis wrote:
GONYK wrote:
You keep posting one poll and presenting it as gospel :lol:

One poll is meaningless

Just cancel the election. It's over.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

In all seriousness, I thought the CNBC poll was legit.

Well, the CNBC poll was from Change Research, who 538 designates as a low quality pollster. Their average MOE is almost 7%.

Like I said, there may be tightening, but this one poll doesn't lead to that conclusion.

Luckily, we are about to hit post-convention time, where we will be flooded with polling and the picture will become clearer.

If it looks like that in 2-3 weeks, then we can start to have some real discussions.

More MOE!

Spoiler:

Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#2004 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Stannis wrote:Looks like Trump leads over Biden in independent voters as well:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know you’re all doom and gloom because Bernie isn’t the Democratic nominee but I’ll remind you if you’re truly that worried about Biden losing, you’re not a passive observer here. You can register people to vote, can become a volunteer to inform people about voting by mail and making sure they know how to vote all from the comfort of your own home. I don’t know if twitter users like Brianna Joy Grey and Kyle Kulinski encourage people to register to vote and instruct them how to vote by mail but if you want to help you should follow and retweet people who are doing that.

Kudos to you if you’re doing all this already.

I haven't brought up Bernie in a while. Seems like he's on ur mind more than mines.

Anyways, it's a legit poll. Independent votes matter. It should be an area of concern.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2005 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:35 pm

101 pages. Do we dare gp for "The Tre"? LOL

Btw, if you want to see more "crazy," then just go onto the Breitbart site. :crazy:

https://www.breitbart.com
Free Palestine
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,462
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#2006 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#2007 » by rammagen » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:17 pm

j4remi wrote:
rammagen wrote:While that ladiy's mother may have known the issues this woman chose to speak has no clue and no right to Identify as a Latina. I say that a Puerto Rican American. I doubt she has ever heard a racial slur directed at her I doubt she has never served in the Military or done anything for this nation or the Island of Puerto Rico.

I still think it should be mandatory to get into Politics to serve in the military at least one term. learn how to live closely with people of every type and color learn to depend on them because your life may depend on it. Live in the tight quarters and learn how to respect to the other person as a person. Then go into politics because you will have a greater understanding of the other people and cultures.

The sad part is Puerto Ricans have served and gave their lives for the US since W.W.1, every generation of my family has had members that have served proudly down to the next generation. We need to become a state with the Virgin Islands in the worse way we have all the sacrifices but with limited benefits.

Just look at the response for hurricanes. The Jones act is laughable at best and is a way to drive costs up on the Island so the mainland profits. Start with repealing that and then there is a basis for talks. What is the republican nightmare is Puerto Ricans coming here and because we are US citizens and voting Dem. Look at Florida as an example.

https://www.wric.com/news/politics/will-puerto-ricans-new-to-florida-swing-state-to-democrats/

Much respect to your family for the service fam! I co-sign that statehood point and Jones act. I hate that statehood looks like the only way out of the mess that was forced on Puerto Rico by those mainland profit incentives. My cynicism has me thinking the only way that the Jones Act ever goes away is via statehood. I remember reading about the Kochs investing a gang of money on displaced Puerto Ricans in Florida. I wish there was a path to sovereignty but I don't think imperialism would allow for that anyway, we'd have more independence claiming State's Rights than independence (where they'd just drive out uncooperative leadership like they always have with Latin American leaders).

Edit: Did you see this bit of news? It's the type of independent decision making that I'd like to see (of course in this case it has to go through Congressional approval though). Of course this proposal comes from two reps of Puerto Rican descent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/puerto-rico-not-congress-must-determine-its-future-our-bill-ncna1238032

What the convention negotiates and puts forth would then be voted on in a referendum by the people of Puerto Rico before presentation to the U.S. Congress. The key is that this framework would be developed by Puerto Ricans and for Puerto Ricans, not dictated to them like so many previous policies.

Until now, Puerto Rico has been ravaged by decisions made unilaterally by Congress. In one especially disastrous move for the economy, Congress began phasing out an important manufacturing tax break in the mid-1990s that had long bolstered the island. In particular, pharmaceutical firms that had previously flocked to the commonwealth left in droves, eroding the local economy and tax base.

Over the years, most notably during the period in which those companies fled the Island, the government of Puerto Rico borrowed heavily, fueling the current debt crisis. That fiscal crisis was compounded by a puzzling law Congress crafted in the 1980s that excluded Puerto Rico from bankruptcy tools available to other localities.

Puerto Rico’s local environment also suffered from Washington’s mistreatment. The island of Vieques was subjected to decades of U.S. Navy test bombings of everything from Agent Orange to depleted uranium, and Viequenses suffer higher rates of cancer than the rest of Puerto Rico. While more than 200,000 Puerto Ricans have served in U.S. conflicts since World War I, the U.S. military has still not addressed the health and environmental damage it instigated in Vieques.

More recently, as Puerto Rico has endured hardship from Hurricane Maria, earthquakes in January and, now, the spread of COVID-19, the island has received inadequate assistance from the federal government.

All these problems underscore the need to politically empower Puerto Ricans. It is understandable that many of our friends in the Democratic Party have eyed making Puerto Rico a state as the answer. That view gained further traction after the U.S. House recently passed legislation that would move the District of Columbia toward statehood.

But this approach, often undertaken with the best of intentions, is misguided. Puerto Rico’s history is vastly different from the District’s. Unlike D.C., the island had a unique Caribbean heritage that existed long before it was forcibly seized by the United States.

Equally important, there isn’t overwhelming support for statehood in Puerto Rico, as there is in D.C. With Washington, most opposition to statehood emanates from Republican lawmakers in Congress, none of whom reside in the district.

Conversely, in Puerto Rico there remain visceral disagreements about the status issue. Despite five plebiscites, “statehood” has never received an unequivocal mandate from Puerto Rican voters. The two most recent referenda were marred by voting irregularities and dismal participation. In fact, the U.S. Department of Justice refused to validate the results of the 2017 referendum. While yet another nonbinding status vote is scheduled for November, the recent primary fiasco in Puerto Rico does not inspire much confidence that the outcome will be any more reflective of popular opinion than previous votes.

For true, legitimate change, Puerto Rico’s status must be resolved from the ground up. Plans for altering the Island’s relationship with the U.S. should not just garner the consent of the Puerto Rican people; they should originate with them. In fact, many in Puerto Rico would view Congress pushing statehood not as an end to colonization, but the culmination of it.

That's a good chunk of the story but there's more in there. This is a better offer than I expect Congress to ever put through tbh, but it includes some nice references to our culture and the complexities of the statehood debate. I'd like to see statehood coupled with something like this, where the people vote on and decide the path. PROMESA felt like the opposite and set us up for more pain.

Thanks I did not see that. I think along the lines of my grandparents whose parents/grandparents immigrated from Europe. They loved Spain they would have loved to see that option to go back to being a province of Spain. I dont know if that will help much but at least after traveling a few times to Spain the people on the Island should not feel like second class citizens.
see the below, for my parents maybe that would be nostalgic but for us younger PRs we are here to stay along with Liberal thoughts.
With Spain they had full representation and voting rights

https://www.latinorebels.com/2014/06/10/actual-puerto-ricans-want-puerto-rico-to-become-part-of-spain-again/

One fact that most Americans dont understand is by our very nature we are mixed race European/African/Native American, I think in allot of cases that why are a people/nationality we are generally more welcoming of different races religions and creeds. The US right now needs that
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2008 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:19 pm

How do we move forward as a country with these crazies? We should just divide up the country.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,473

Post#2009 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I think some of you may need a reminder of two things:

(1) Trump's ability to gain new voters is marginal;

and

(2) Criminal charges will continue to accrue between now and November. It is easy to say his base doesn't care, but it is not his base that matters in this election. It is anyone else who is movable as a voter that matters. And if indictments against Trump are handed down it will effectively limit his ability to gain ground if not lose him votes. And that looks very possible. If not for Trump himself, then for others like Bannon who will be formally charged before then for the Wall scam which implicates Trump.

Election fraud is going to be the major issue here. And that's serious as a heart attack. But Trump's ability to pull even legitimately is not likely at all.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,473

Post#2010 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:How do we move forward as a country with these crazies? We should just divide up the country.

I'm leaving. That's my solution. I'd rather walk the earth like Caine than invest in this country any longer.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2011 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:How do we move forward as a country with these crazies? We should just divide up the country.

I'm leaving. That's my solution. I'd rather walk the earth like Caine than invest in this country any longer.

:lol: No one is taking us. We're dirty Americans now.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2012 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:I think some of you may need a reminder of two things:

and

(2) Criminal charges will continue to accrue between now and November. It is easy to say his base doesn't care, but it is not his base that matters in this election. It is anyone else who is movable as a voter that matters. And if indictments against Trump are handed down it will effectively limit his ability to gain ground if not lose him votes. And that looks very possible. If not for Trump himself, then for others like Bannon who will be formally charged before then for the Wall scam which implicates Trump.

Election fraud is going to be the major issue here. And that's serious as a heart attack. But Trump's ability to pull even legitimately is not likely at all.

Except that this election is being decided by some swing counties in some swing states where the average voter IQ is about 75-80.
Free Palestine
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,879

Post#2013 » by Pointgod » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 pm

You make sure Republicans never get into power ever again. That means voting in every single election and voting for Democrats up and down the ballot.And every position from dog catcher to President.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#2014 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:I think some of you may need a reminder of two things:

and

Except that this election is being decided by some swing counties in some swing states where the average voter IQ is about 75-80.

And it looks like he's leading the independent voter polls as well.

This is the same country that re-elected Bush. I know I'm pessimistic, but for good reason.

Not tryna be an ass, but I think some give the people of this country too much credit. While they should care about the criminality of a nominee, they don't.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks