ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 NY Knicks trade ideas

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, HerSports85, Capn'O, dakomish23, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 17,453

Re: 2023-24 NY Knicks trade ideas 

Post#2021 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:33 pm

Is Murray fools gold based on perception over reality or is he untapped potential that can be gotten at a low value point?

Hm...both points are compelling and I can't quite decide which I trust more.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#2022 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:42 pm

stuporman wrote:Is Murray fools gold based on perception over reality or is he untapped potential that can be gotten at a low value point?

Best suggestion I have is, the hawks are playing tonight at 7:30. Just pay attention to Dejounte off ball on offense, off ball & on ball on defense and make your assessment.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#2023 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:45 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
stuporman wrote:Is Murray fools gold based on perception over reality or is he untapped potential that can be gotten at a low value point?

Best suggestion I have is, the hawks are playing tonight at 7:30. Just pay attention to Dejounte off ball on offense, off ball & on ball on defense and make your assessment.

Make a conclusion on one game sample size seems about right.... :lol:
Image?
cgf
RealGM
And1: 11,113

Post#2024 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:45 pm

If we get him, I'll be hoping like crazy that it's the latter...but man does my gut scream the former...

He just has so many of my big redflags. I looked past those for RJ & Obi, and I'm still rooting for them to make it, so I'll look past them & root for him if we get Murray too.

But man will I hate that trade at the time it happens, if it includes Grimes or any unprotected future FRPs :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#2025 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:47 pm

stuporman wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

You're not wrong...but I am adding Atlanta to my watchlist for these next few weeks :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#2026 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:54 pm

stuporman wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

It’s the best way my friend 8-)

Imagine he goes off for 40 and is a shutdown defender the whole game :lol:

“Get him asap!”
stuporman
RealGM

Post#2027 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:57 pm

cgf wrote:
stuporman wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Best suggestion I have is, the hawks are playing tonight at 7:30. Just pay attention to Dejounte off ball on offense, off ball & on ball on defense and make your assessment.

You're not wrong...but I am adding Atlanta to my watchlist for these next few weeks :lol:

Me too, I guess, but I also will be peeping Portland because Brogdon appeals to me more than Murray if that's the direction the Knicks are going with a back-up PG who can slide in next to Brunson as well. Older but more of a known commodity with the skills the Knicks need.

I think Portland might be more open to shedding salary with less assets coming back than ATL that probably still view themselves as building around Young. Both franchises have recent history of deals with the Knicks, so there is some potential deal making that can happen.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#2028 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:00 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
stuporman wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Best suggestion I have is, the hawks are playing tonight at 7:30. Just pay attention to Dejounte off ball on offense, off ball & on ball on defense and make your assessment.

It’s the best way my friend 8-)

Imagine he goes off for 40 and is a shutdown defender the whole game :lol:

“Get him asap!”

Or go 3-14 looking like a turnstile.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :o
Image?
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,880

Post#2029 » by Meat » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:00 pm

he ain't it, he's fool's gold
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 6,016

Post#2030 » by Buttah304 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:00 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:

Dejounte is incredibly frustrating as a player. I say this because of one of the oldest expressions in basketball: Is a guy finally putting it all together

Truth is he hasn’t played any defense since 2020-2021 and even his ALL NBA 2nd Team Defense was back in 2017-2018. While he was too skinny to get around screens after getting hit, he was really clever when it came to getting in the passing lanes and being disruptive/blowing up plays. Problem was he couldn’t shoot.

So now you have a guy who shoots the 3PT 42% off the dribble and close to 37% in C&S but doesn’t give a damn about the other side of the court.

He’s flawed for this very reason as he’s a balancing act. Got more well rounded offensively but took a nose-dive on defense.

He’ll be making $24.7M next year, 26.7 the year following and 28.6 in the third year of his deal. He will most likely opt out prior to year 4 as he will have just turned 30. Everyone knows players look for their last fat contract around that time.

After just getting rid of RJs contract it’s hard to imagine welcoming his with open arms.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,493

Post#2031 » by Ray Williams » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:02 pm

Brogdon would be a good replacement for Quickley
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,531

Post#2032 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:13 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Getting Murray is okay if hes not too expensive, for the reasons you gave.

I just have a bad feeling about him. Seems overrated and a little nutty upstairs. All his little cryptic Tweets and Instagram posts are annoying too. Its not a given that he will still have good value if he fails here. His contract isnt awful but hes not cheap either. Good teams wouldn’t give up much for him if he cant fit into a team concept or show he can help win games. They definitely wouldn’t trade their star for him unless he shows that.

Murray would have to be okay with a reduced role on offense and playing mainly with the bench here. Cant help but feel hes going to bring back many of the same issues RJ brought.

Take a look here...mainly covering his defense, passing and midrange:

I think he may be worth a gamble if the price is right. I wouldn't mind it...6'5 and huge wingspan....if motivated seems to have elite defensive ability. I think we need some sort of insurance even for a minor Brunson injury. That's probably the biggest need right now.

Good video bro...thanks for sharing.

The ability is absolutely there. Absolutely there. We would just need what he looked like in the Pops system vs how he has been used under Atlanta's system. It is absolutely possible under a better fitting system he looks more like the SA version than he does now in Atl.

And his shooting has improved since playing with the Spurs. I'm hoping the Hawks don't get Siakam....
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,531

Post#2033 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:21 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Dejounte is incredibly frustrating as a player. I say this because of one of the oldest expressions in basketball: Is a guy finally putting it all together

Truth is he hasn’t played any defense since 2020-2021 and even his ALL NBA 2nd Team Defense was back in 2017-2018. While he was too skinny to get around screens after getting hit, he was really clever when it came to getting in the passing lanes and being disruptive/blowing up plays. Problem was he couldn’t shoot.

So now you have a guy who shoots the 3PT 42% off the dribble and close to 37% in C&S but doesn’t give a damn about the other side of the court.

He’s flawed for this very reason as he’s a balancing act. Got more well rounded offensively but took a nose-dive on defense.

He’ll be making $24.7M next year, 26.7 the year following and 28.6 in the third year of his deal. He will most likely opt out prior to year 4 as he will have just turned 30. Everyone knows players look for their last fat contract around that time.

After just getting rid of RJs contract it’s hard to imagine welcoming his with open arms.

Defense has fallen off since playing with Trae Young...he can turn it back on I'm sure for Thibs playing next to OG. As far as contracts, I don't get the RJ comparison. Dude is a former allstar, who has demonstrated elite defensive skills, and a 38 percent 3 point shooter... he's almost a bargain IMO.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#2034 » by stuporman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:25 pm

Is he an unpolished diamond or a polished turd? :rofl:
Image?
AfroThunder
Junior
And1: 56

Post#2035 » by AfroThunder » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:28 pm

Is Alex Caruso available for trade? Would he be a good fit here
cgf
RealGM

Post#2036 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:48 pm

stuporman wrote:
cgf wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Me too, I guess, but I also will be peeping Portland because Brogdon appeals to me more than Murray if that's the direction the Knicks are going with a back-up PG who can slide in next to Brunson as well. Older but more of a known commodity with the skills the Knicks need.

I think Portland might be more open to shedding salary with less assets coming back than ATL that probably still view themselves as building around Young. Both franchises have recent history of deals with the Knicks, so there is some potential deal making that can happen.

If our FO is content with the big man depth...or we can get a cheap upgrade like Bitadze :pray: ...then Brogdon would be my favorite target to. The health isn't great, but isn't enough to put me off. He has complained about his role before, but if we gave him the RJ slot (starting 3rd option/co-6thman), he should be happy.

cgf
RealGM

Post#2037 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:50 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:

Defense has fallen off since playing with Trae Young...he can turn it back on I'm sure for Thibs playing next to OG. As far as contracts, I don't get the RJ comparison. Dude is a former allstar, who has demonstrated elite defensive skills, and a 37 percent 3 point shooter... he's almost a bargain IMO.

He was a bad on ball defender with the Spurs and gambled a lot for deflections/steals, long before getting stuck next to Trae...and he's been struggling in Atlanta even when Trae is on the bench. The more I dig the more it seems like DJM's defense was never actually as good as the hype.

RHODEY wrote:And his shooting has improved since playing with the Spurs. I'm hoping the Hawks don't get Siakam....

His shooting has improved since November 2023. He shot 34.0% from 3 last season; his career average is 34.1%.

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,880

Post#2038 » by Meat » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:54 pm

Dejounte's cost mid season is prob what Mitchell'ls going to be this offseason if he makes a team specific demand
cgf
RealGM

Post#2039 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:55 pm

AfroThunder wrote:Is Alex Caruso available for trade? Would he be a good fit here

He should be, but this FO is really delusional, so probably not...IIRC last report was they weren't even answering calls unless a team was offering 2 FRPs.

Lavine's the only Bull I think is actually available, and he's been trying to force his way out for around a year now.

movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 390

Post#2040 » by movingon » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:59 pm

AfroThunder wrote:Is Alex Caruso available for trade? Would he be a good fit here

I reckon we would have a chance to pry him away with Grimes and one of our 2024 first round picks.
That may sound a bit steep, but he's playing great this year.
Saves us from having to worry about resigning Grimes, who would anyway have to sacrifice minutes to accommodate Caruso.

Return to New York Knicks