ImageImageImageImageImage

[6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, HerSports85, Capn'O, dakomish23, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

Nazrmohamed
Head Coach
And1: 3,037

Re: [6/25] The latest from Charley Rosen (Phil Jackson's mouthpiece) 

Post#261 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:People have to stop comparing Frank to KP. KP was much more polished as a player when he was drafted in his moves than Frank is now and it was said KP may need 2 years. Now it didnt take that long for him but Frank is not at the same skill level in their develiopment at that same draft age. If you put him out there now and play him high minutes he will turn over ball at a great rate. It will kill his confidence and could hurt his future output. Getting this type of player you must take it slow with him or you could lose him early. Remember its not just learning the nba but the usa as well. Just because KP did it well doesnt mean every kid will do it as well or in the same way.

I wouldn't say that. I think you see a jumpshot and assume that means development. To me KP is not far along at all, which is very promising actually. Most things is about shooting, which is a skill for sure but its more of an assisted platform. I thibk KP has a ways to go in terms of creating offense, post moves or in isolation. And then the raw strength aspect as well.

I think Frank has a lower curling ceiling and may surprise alot of people with his ability to contribute right away. I don't get this bring him along slowly mentality. We're gonna lose alot of games folks. Lets get over it. These guys need to build chemistry early on. But he's 6'5 with a good weight. That's not skills but physicality makes a huge difference and remember hesFrench. When have we known a French player to come over and not be physicality ready to play. They may be in different skill tiers but you never know one to be soft. I don't expect Frank to be either. He shoots just as well. His development curve is more about pure pg skills but
- we run the triangle and Ron Baker was successful at it last year.
- I happen to think he can play SG. At 6'5 what if I told you he was a prolific, playmaking SG more than a flawed pg
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 103,360

Post#262 » by mpharris36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

**** yeah.

i thought rosen was always right?

nobody said that. we said he talks for phil. how can phil tell him what other teams are gonna do or not ?

situations are fluid is all im saying unless Phil speaks to Rosen every day. But most of all I just like to rile up the phil haters :lol:

I thought you would understand that by now. :)
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Isaiah Sewart
Cam Johnson/Rui Hachimura/Dalen Terry
Alex Caruso/NAW/Aaron Wiggins
Jamal Murray/Tyler Kolek/Jamal Shead
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,544

Post#263 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

I think they start Frank. He's probably our best perimeter defender already. Plus I want him to get as many reps as possible with KP / WHG.

Just not sure they start him at PG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,817

Post#264 » by god shammgod » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:22 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
i thought rosen was always right?

nobody said that. we said he talks for phil. how can phil tell him what other teams are gonna do or not ?

situations are fluid is all im saying unless Phil speaks to Rosen every day. But most of all I just like to rile up the phil haters :lol:

well, of course they are. there is no guarantee that they're gonna sign rose either. other team's interest, money, our interest in other players, that can all affect what will happen. the only guarantee is that they're seriously thinking about it. and that's scary enough.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 95,602

Post#265 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

dakomish23 wrote:I think they start Frank. He's probably our best perimeter defender already. Plus I want him to get as many reps as possible with KP / WHG.

By mid-season yeah. At worst, I'd wager he's seeing 25-30 minutes with some reps as PG. He's _very_ young.
BAF Clippers: Great Team. No Future.
PG: SGA | Coleworld
SG: Big Ragu | Merrill
SF: Kuminga | Dorture Chamber
PF: KAT | Saric
C: BroLo | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Mitchell | Houstan | Bailey | K Williams | Fernando

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 103,360

Post#266 » by mpharris36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:28 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

well, of course they are. there is no guarantee that they're gonna sign rose either. other team's interest, money, our interest in other players, that can all affect what will happen. the only guarantee is that they're seriously thinking about it. and that's scary enough.

I am a believer of keeping every option open. Rose door should be closed though I do agree. He can score and make fancy layups but he doesn't make teammates better or play any defense two things supposedly we are trying to bring in. It would go against that I agree.
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Isaiah Sewart
Cam Johnson/Rui Hachimura/Dalen Terry
Alex Caruso/NAW/Aaron Wiggins
Jamal Murray/Tyler Kolek/Jamal Shead
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,544

Post#267 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Capn'O wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I think they start Frank. He's probably our best perimeter defender already. Plus I want him to get as many reps as possible with KP / WHG.

By mid-season yeah. At worst, I'd wager he's seeing 25-30 minutes with some reps as PG. He's _very_ young.

Why wait?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 95,602

Post#268 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:35 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Why wait?

2 schools of thought.

1. You can learn from watching and earning minutes by showing good habits in practice and limited minutes initially.
2. Trial by fire is the best teacher.

I subscribe to the first one but more importantly I think Hornacek and Phil do too.
BAF Clippers: Great Team. No Future.
PG: SGA | Coleworld
SG: Big Ragu | Merrill
SF: Kuminga | Dorture Chamber
PF: KAT | Saric
C: BroLo | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Mitchell | Houstan | Bailey | K Williams | Fernando

:beer:
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,531

Post#269 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:42 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Why wait?

Don't wanna hurt Frank. Don't wanna hurt his body or his confidence. He'll be 19 all year. There's definitely reason not to pile the minutes on out of the gate. But I could see him winning over the Garden on a struggling young team, and vaulting himself into a much bigger role by mid-season when everyone is a little more comfortable with a youth movement/tank, and when Frank is more settled in.

I have a lot of faith in this kid though. His personality/mindset reminds me a lot of Porzingis pre-exit-meeting-gate. And he's a unique physical specimen at his position (whichever position that may be).

Sweet draft pick, and I'm OK with being patient with him. At the same time, he has the chance to win a big role with this team because NY is that hungry for it. Things like this tend to happen quickly in NY. A great rookie season will make him a star instantly like it did for Porzingis. We'll see if he's up to the task.
Savageknick2190
Senior
And1: 138

Post#270 » by Savageknick2190 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote:People have to stop comparing Frank to KP. KP was much more polished as a player when he was drafted in his moves than Frank is now and it was said KP may need 2 years. Now it didnt take that long for him but Frank is not at the same skill level in their develiopment at that same draft age. If you put him out there now and play him high minutes he will turn over ball at a great rate. It will kill his confidence and could hurt his future output. Getting this type of player you must take it slow with him or you could lose him early. Remember its not just learning the nba but the usa as well. Just because KP did it well doesnt mean every kid will do it as well or in the same way.

I wouldn't say that. I think you see a jumpshot and assume that means development. To me KP is not far along at all, which is very promising actually. Most things is about shooting, which is a skill for sure but its more of an assisted platform. I thibk KP has a ways to go in terms of creating offense, post moves or in isolation. And then the raw strength aspect as well.

I think Frank has a lower curling ceiling and may surprise alot of people with his ability to contribute right away. I don't get this bring him along slowly mentality. We're gonna lose alot of games folks. Lets get over it. These guys need to build chemistry early on. But he's 6'5 with a good weight. That's not skills but physicality makes a huge difference and remember hesFrench. When have we known a French player to come over and not be physicality ready to play. They may be in different skill tiers but you never know one to be soft. I don't expect Frank to be either. He shoots just as well. His development curve is more about pure pg skills but
- I happen to think he can play SG. At 6'5 what if I told you he was a prolific, playmaking SG more than a flawed pg

When was a French player drafted and wasnt physically ready to play? The answer would be Frederic Weis drafted by the Knicks. Very soft so much so he could never make it on to a NBA court after being drafted. Ron Baker was solid I would not call anything he did successful. How do you know Frank can shoot as well as KP? KP gave private workouts to teams here in the us to show how well he could shoot. Frank shot 40 percent on threes on a team where he barely got to shoot. When he did shoot the three point distance is not our own nba three point distance. All this to say its only natural for it to take some time. The assumptions you are making will only lead to your disappointment when he is unable to meet those high demands so early in his development.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,981

Post#271 » by whocares1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Why wait?

There's a learning curve in the NBA. Frank likely might be turnover prone/foul prone and they need someone reliable if and when that happens. Beverley continues to be the smartest potential pickup for the Knicks.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 16,016

Post#272 » by Fury » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

When was a French player drafted and wasnt physically ready to play? The answer would be Frederic Weis drafted by the Knicks. Very soft so much so he could never make it on to a NBA court after being drafted. Ron Baker was solid I would not call anything he did successful. How do you know Frank can shoot as well as KP? KP gave private workouts to teams here in the us to show how well he could shoot. Frank shot 40 percent on threes on a team where he barely got to shoot. When he did shoot the three point distance is not our own nba three point distance. All this to say its only natural for it to take some time. The assumptions you are making will only lead to your disappointment when he is unable to meet those high demands so early in his development.

Frank is physically ready. As much as Parker batum and diaw.

When he took a ton of 3s many of them contested in the u18 tournament he nailed at a high percentage.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#273 » by battabing10 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:01 pm

frank and baker can each play 24mpg next season. either paired with lee will be a much better defensive backcourt. if the serbian pg has 8mpg in him that's gravy.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#274 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Worse comes to worst, Knicks sign Andre Miller...that chump who spurned the Knicks to be with every other franchise will take a little coin to come here. ;)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#275 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I take ESPN with a grain of salt but I thought that was interesting...so Dunn goes to Chicago, the Wolves were talking to the Pistons about trading Reggie Jackson for Rubio.

That's very interesting...

Jackson's contract has one MORE year at $18M than Rubio, yet the Wolves were open to talking about it in order to dump Rubio.

THAT should worry Rubio supporters. What's wrong with this guy that Wolves would take a worse contract?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 6,162

Post#276 » by sol537 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:THAT should worry Rubio supporters. What's wrong with this guy that Wolves would take a worse contract?

Rubio is one of the worst shooters in the history of basketball at the PG position... the hope is that he somehow improves in NY if we are able to trade for him. The other thing is that the vast majority of teams, as always, are pretty much set at the PG position so there isn't a huge market for him. In the modern NBA, all your perimeter players have to be able to shoot or you have little chance in the playoffs (see teams sagging off of Tony Allen)
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,817

Post#277 » by god shammgod » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:05 pm

sol537 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:THAT should worry Rubio supporters. What's wrong with this guy that Wolves would take a worse contract?

Rubio is one of the worst shooters in the history of basketball at the PG position... the hope is that he somehow improves in NY if we are able to trade for him. The other thing is that the vast majority of teams, as always, are pretty much set at the PG position so there isn't a huge market for him. In the modern NBA, all your perimeter players have to be able to shoot or you have little chance in the playoffs (see teams sagging off of Tony Allen)

he's been around awhile now. that ship has sailed. he aint improving.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#278 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:39 pm

god shammgod wrote:
sol537 wrote:

he's been around awhile now. that ship has sailed. he aint improving.

Which is why I have campaigned that the Knicks shouldn't trade for this guy UNLESS they get a first rounder. After all the Knicks are doing THIBS a favor taking his dumb espresso butt off his hands.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,906

Post#279 » by HEZI » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Rudy Gobert
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
xxrainnn
Lead Assistant
And1: 173

Post#280 » by xxrainnn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm

I don't think the Wolves trade Rubio anymore. At this point it would be foolish. Who else is going to come in and run that offense and provide defense in the backcourt? Especially with a reasonable contract. Plus they can use Jimmy to handle some of the ball handling duties as well. Rubio has value, people who are clamoring to get him for nothing AND potentially get a draft pick back are fooling themselves. Pure PG that provides solid defense don't grow on trees.

At this point the Wolves will probably bring in a spark plug scoring PG off the bench who can reliably hit a 3 point shot. That's what that team needs.

Return to New York Knicks