ImageImageImageImageImage

The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,999

Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#281 » by Adelheid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:40 am

GONYK wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:
This is nuts to me. People have spent the last 8 years complaining about Felton, Calderon, and Rose being absolute shotgun wounds on the perimeter defensively, and now that we have a kid who is elite at it, it doesn't matter.

Renaldo Balkman and Iman Shumpert were great defenders. You know what happened. I'd like for Frank to develop his offensive game so he doesn't meet the same fate. Thing about defense alone is that no one player can change a teams defense so eventually people start doubting the impact of your only skill

Jared Jeffries was actually a good defender
Balkman was actually a good defender
Shumpert was actually a good defender

They never improved elsewhere and by the time they were gone people started thinking thier defense was even overrated. Kid doesn't have to average 20. But damn, can I get on be single 20pt game to show me he's even capable of it? I think his season high is 13 pts. I've seen guys average 5 pts thier rookie yr but get a 20pt game a few times. Later on they averaged 15-20. It's rare that somebody averages 5 points by literally consistently scoring 5 points every game and then incrementally raises that average. Not to mention his assist totals are non existent too.

What concerns me is this isn't a playoff team where he gets no minutes. He gets a ton of minutes. He's gotta ramp up the aggressiveness.

Jeffries was 21 when he entered the league
Shump was 21
Balkman was 22

Frank is doing this at 19, and he's showed plenty of flashes as a PG as well. He has been an impact player in a bunch of games for us this season.

I totally agree that he needs to ramp up his aggressiveness, but I think we have a few seasons before it's time to worry. Especially if he physically matures to where Shump was at 21. He's already more aggressive now that he was a month ago.

I agree it would be nice if Frank got 20, but I can name a few young guys who dropped 20+ in their rookie seasons, and now are out of the league entirely.

It will all come down to how badly a rookie wants to improve his game and what he is willing to sacrifice and do to achieve it. Every player is different in that regard. Sure, all these players were known to be defensive stalwarts when they arrived in the league but what would separate them from each other is their overall body of work to overcome shortcommings.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,553

Post#282 » by gavran » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
They never improved elsewhere and by the time they were gone people started thinking thier defense was even overrated. Kid doesn't have to average 20. But damn, can I get on be single 20pt game to show me he's even capable of it? I think his season high is 13 pts. I've seen guys average 5 pts thier rookie yr but get a 20pt game a few times. Later on they averaged 15-20. It's rare that somebody averages 5 points by literally consistently scoring 5 points every game and then incrementally raises that average. Not to mention his assist totals are non existent too.

Gary Harris averaged 3 points per game his rookie year, never scoring more than 13 (reached double digits only 4 times), and now is a pretty good player. There is recent precedent of that happening, why can't it also be Frank?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,130

Post#283 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 am

gavran wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Gary Harris averaged 3 points per game his rookie year, never scoring more than 13 (reached double digits only 4 times), and now is a pretty good player. There is recent precedent of that happening, why can't it also be Frank?

No no no not allowed to. You gotta chuck to be a good player in the NBA. No one cares about efficiency...that's loser stat nerds. nah man I trust the eye test, cause eye think that my style of basketball is the best. It's about iso ball. Post up BUCKETs. 25 shots for 20 points. Mid range, jab step jab jab step shoot! No one cares about defense. It's not called defenseball. It's called BUCKETSball. Pick and roll defense what's that? Colin Sexton so nice...I love how he gets hot and chucks. I love when he played 3 v 5 and chucked that ball cause he had less people to pass to. What a killer instinct man. HE is a DOG. I want some DOG.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#284 » by NYKAL » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Leonard wasn't a good shooter or scorer when he came into the league but, look at him now. I think Frank is talented, just how much he wants it is up to him. The real issue with me will be how much he improves in the offseason. Does he stay here or, does he go back to France because I'm iffy on how much he'll improve over there.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,404

The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#285 » by Phish Tank » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I read a Weitzman article stating that Frank has grown an inch this year and docs think he’ll grow an additional inch soon. A 6’7 version of Frank could be scary.

I’d link the tweet, but I’m in wakanda and don’t have my laptop on me

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,378

Post#286 » by F N 11 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

gavran wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Harris shot worse too. Dont get me started on Lonzo Ball. Just let these kids get better damn.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,546

Post#287 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Iman Shumpert was fools gold. He's the only player I can remember seeing who declined defensively after his rookie season. He still can't make a layup. I'm pretty sure he's worked harder on his hairstyles than his game.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,860

Post#288 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

knicks gunna knick
3Peat! 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#289 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

knicks gunna knick

They are lying.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,656

Post#290 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

knicks gunna knick

No...no they are not saying that. The hindering his development comes from the quick hook. Him playing on and off the ball is good for him IMO. BT is a blow hard.
:beer: RIP mags
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,448

Post#291 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Phish Tank wrote:I read a Weitzman article stating that Frank has grown an inch this year and docs think he’ll grow an additional inch soon. A 6’7 version of Frank could be scary.

I’d link the tweet, but I’m in wakanda and don’t have my laptop on me

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This is something that a lot of people miss. His body's not done growing which is why he hasn't been able to add explosion. He's constantly moving a different sized body. Some guys (not naming any names) basically finish growing when they're 15 and their mans' physique comes in earlier which is why you would say they're physically closer to a finished product than he is.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#292 » by Sark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Iman Shumpert was fools gold. He's the only player I can remember seeing who declined defensively after his rookie season. He still can't make a layup. I'm pretty sure he's worked harder on his hairstyles than his game.

He was never the same after tearing his ACL.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,009

Post#293 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 pm

iCallBankshot wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
GONYK wrote:
This is nuts to me. People have spent the last 8 years complaining about Felton, Calderon, and Rose being absolute shotgun wounds on the perimeter defensively, and now that we have a kid who is elite at it, it doesn't matter.

Renaldo Balkman and Iman Shumpert were great defenders. You know what happened. I'd like for Frank to develop his offensive game so he doesn't meet the same fate. Thing about defense alone is that no one player can change a teams defense so eventually people start doubting the impact of your only skill

Jared Jeffries was actually a good defender
Balkman was actually a good defender
Shumpert was actually a good defender

What concerns me is this isn't a playoff team where he gets no minutes. He gets a ton of minutes. He's gotta ramp up the aggressiveness.

Most of us agree Frank needs to rank up the aggressiveness but, haven't we seen an improvement in him learning when to shoot vs. pass and pick his spots? That's why Frank honestly needs 35 minutes a game rest of season but ya know, Jeff is our coach. Still, I'm encouraged because I can name zero facets of Franks offensive fundamentals that look to be completely broken. I think the kid has a solid foundation, brings elite defense and is a physical freak who's only going to get stronger and taller.

I see some potential in actual plays. In other worlds I'll watch a singular play he was part of and think it was well executed, he was aggressive within the play. But still, he's gotta strong some of that together and give us one good game. I liked his 13&5 game and I liked his 10&10 game even better. Made me dream of Rondo at least. Where maybe hes never a top 3 scorer on a future good Knicks team but he's getting everybody thier shots. But I'm just saying, those were like his season high and there were ALOT of 2pt1ast games. Many of them he had hardly any shot attempts. We ain't winning any games, go ahead and shoot it.

But to your last sentence, I just read somewhere that he's grown an inch already this season and doctors say he can grow another inch or two. That makes him 6'6 now and maybe top out at 6'7? Wow. Maybe IDC if he plays SG at that point. Still I'm gonna nitpick the offense but an elite defensive SG, with passing ability.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#294 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 pm

K P 6 wrote:
gavran wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Harris shot worse too. Dont get me started on Lonzo Ball. Just let these kids get better damn.

Well that's promising but not a large sample size and if I'm correct Lonzo has had some monster games. And I'm not trying to compare Frank to a number 2 pick, I know that's not fair. But he WAS the 8th pick folks. Where was Garry Harris drafted. I wont deny that that has a factor in my thinking.

We'll have to wait and see. But I would be curious what happens more often. Calculated/Iq/ defensive types incrementally becoming elite or innefficient scorers who later backfill the IQ. There are definitely low level and high level tier players of both types.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,378

Post#295 » by F N 11 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
gavran wrote:Gary Harris averaged 3 points per game his rookie year, never scoring more than 13 (reached double digits only 4 times), and now is a pretty good player. There is recent precedent of that happening, why can't it also be Frank?

Well that's promising but not a large sample size and if I'm correct Lonzo has had some monster games. And I'm not trying to compare Frank to a number 2 pick, I know that's not fair. But he WAS the 8th pick folks. Where was Garry Harris drafted. I wont deny that that has a factor in my thinking.

We'll have to wait and see. But I would be curious what happens more often. Calculated/Iq/ defensive types incrementally becoming elite or innefficient scorers who later backfill the IQ. There are definitely low level and high level tier players of both types.

I would of worried if he was playing like this if known for offense. He was known for Being a good team guy and excellent defender with good mechanics. Good measurements and haspotential to be a good all around player. He was NEVER drafted with the skill already. All I’m saying is he has the tools to be a good player. He was drafted for potential.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#296 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
gavran wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

No no no not allowed to. You gotta chuck to be a good player in the NBA. No one cares about efficiency...that's loser stat nerds. nah man I trust the eye test, cause eye think that my style of basketball is the best. It's about iso ball. Post up BUCKETs. 25 shots for 20 points. Mid range, jab step jab jab step shoot! No one cares about defense. It's not called defenseball. It's called BUCKETSball. Pick and roll defense what's that? Colin Sexton so nice...I love how he gets hot and chucks. I love when he played 3 v 5 and chucked that ball cause he had less people to pass to. What a killer instinct man. HE is a DOG. I want some DOG.

Nice sarcasm but answer my question in the above post. I believe that the definition of a promising rookie is an inconsistent scorer. Durant chucked his rookie year to the tune of like 28%, he got over it. And I'm not saying there's another Durant but all these inefficient chucking rookies are gonna get more efficient. The best of them will get even MORE efficient. THAT to me is development. To take what you show me you can do once and evolve into a player who you can get that out of on a nightly basis.

But you must be right, Franks been scoring his 5pts by shooting .500fg%. I must've missed that.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#297 » by Sark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
gavran wrote:Gary Harris averaged 3 points per game his rookie year, never scoring more than 13 (reached double digits only 4 times), and now is a pretty good player. There is recent precedent of that happening, why can't it also be Frank?

Nice sarcasm but answer my question in the above post. I believe that the definition of a promising rookie is an inconsistent scorer. Durant chucked his rookie year to the tune of like 28%, he got over it. And I'm not saying there's another Durant but all these inefficient chucking rookies are gonna get more efficient. The best of them will get even MORE efficient. THAT to me is development. To take what you show me you can do once and evolve into a player who you can get that out of on a nightly basis.

But you must be right, Franks been scoring his 5pts by shooting .500fg%. I must've missed that.

Durant's development has been totally different from Frank's. Durant was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. He started every game and took the most shots. He wasn't benched for Wally Szczerbiak after making a mistake. Frank has been pulled from games inexplicably when he's done well. He almost became the youngest player ever with a triple double, but couldn't get back in the game to get it.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#298 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Sark wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

Durant's development has been totally different from Frank's. Durant was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. He started every game and took the most shots. He wasn't benched for Wally Szczerbiak after making a mistake. Frank has been pulled from games inexplicably when he's done well. He almost became the youngest player ever with a triple double, but couldn't get back in the game to get it.

Yeah, I was pissed about that. Listen, I ain't totally writing him off. I'm just saying he's gotta get a move on it.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#299 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 pm

NBA Insiders Wonder If Frank Ntilikina Can Be More Than a Lockdown Defender

YARON WEITZMAN
MARCH 15, 2018

NEW YORK — It's been an up-and-down rookie season for Frank Ntilikina. Selected eighth overall by the New York Knicks in last year's draft, the 19-year-old has at times flashed the talent and skills that made him such a tantalizing prospect. He's also looked timid and ordinary, as evidenced by the paltry 5.5 points and 3.1 assists he's averaged per game.

Such is life as an NBA rookie, especially when said rookie is the second-youngest player in the league.

But this is also what makes Ntilikina so difficult to evaluate at this point. Rookie seasons are supposed to provide answers; Ntilikina's has shown promises, but it's also generated myriad questions.

Is his ceiling that of a reserve, starter or All-Star? Is he better suited to play point guard or off the ball? Is his passiveness on the court an innate characteristic that can't be cured or just the result of him being a kid from France who's still trying to find his footing in this country and league?

Those around the NBA who are bullish on Ntilikina believe in him primarily because they feel he can evolve into one of the game's top perimeter defenders. He has all the attributes teams look for in their desperate search for players flexible enough to keep up with today's space-and-pace game. As one league executive put it: "He fits the positionless basketball model that the league is adapting."

Michael Conroy/Associated Press

Ntilikina is listed at 6'5", but he's also grown an inch over the season and has been told by doctors that another inch could be coming. That, combined with his seven-foot wingspan, allows him to lock down both guards and wings. Case in point: He's big enough to switch on screens and quick and long enough to fight over them and bother ball-handlers from behind. It's no coincidence that the Knicks force more turnovers and hold opponents to nearly five fewer points per 100 possessions with Ntilikina on the floor, per NBA.com.

It's on the offensive end of the floor where Ntilikina has struggled most. He never profiled as a shoot-first rim-seeker, but there's a middle ground he's failed to discover, a tendency that a second NBA executive, one who scouted him in France said is part of his DNA. "He's passive," the executive said. "It's who he is."

Ntilikina rarely attacks the basket and too often settles for pull-up jumpers off pick-and-rolls. The 4.3 drives he averages per game, according to NBA.com, is in the same ballpark as sharpshooting gunners like Patty Mills and Joe Harris. Ntilikina could get away with some of these decisions if he were a knockdown shooter, but he's drilled just 31.9 percent of his triples and only 31.0 percent of his mid-range looks, according to Cleaning the Glass.

Yet there are reasons to believe all these problems can be cured.

For one, he's been solid on spot-up three-pointers—32.8 percent, per NBA.com—and, as an Eastern Conference scout said, "his shot's not broken." Bumping his efficiency up to, say, around 37 percent, would morph Ntilikina into a valuable three-and-D guy even if he doesn't improve his off-the-dribble game. Combine that with a basketball IQ and court vision that scouts love and you get a valuable player who could contribute on any team.

Also, he's slowly developing the footwork and comfort to finish in traffic, though that will be helped most by the strength he'll inevitably gain.

Andres Kudacki/Associated Press

But Ntilikina will never reach his ceiling if he doesn't become more aggressive. Three-and-D guys are nice, but that's not what the Knicks had in mind when they picked him over high-scoring guards like Donovan Mitchell and Dennis Smith Jr. Even if Ntilikina winds up settling in as an off-guard, where he's spent the majority of his minutes since the Knicks signed Trey Burke and acquired Emmanuel Mudiay, he'll still need to become more aggressive and learn to attack the rim to truly justify that high draft slot.

Perhaps playing him at the 2 takes the ball out of his hands at times. But that doesn't mean he won't ever be tasked with creating on the bounce, whether in secondary pick-and-rolls or off kick-out passes. Teams like the Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers and Toronto Raptors show the days of backcourts featuring two guards with distinct roles are no more.

And so while so much attention has recently been paid to whether Ntilikina projects more as a point guard or shooting guard, the smart move for the Knicks would be to allow other factors—from the draft to available free agents—to determine his future position.

"I can play with the ball or without the ball," Ntilikina told Bleacher Report recently. "Nowadays you see lots of backcourts with two point guards."

The Knicks would also be wise to loosen the leash they've kept tied around Ntilikina. It's not just that he's played only 20.9 minutes per game—a number that should be closer to 25. The team's main failure has been not helping Ntilikina learn to play without a fear of making mistakes. Watching Nitilikina is often like watching a high school player scared of upsetting the coach and getting yanked. Part of that is his personality, but, with that being the case, the onus falls on the Knicks to push him to overcome that.

"Point guard is a sensitive position; it's easy for a young player to worry about getting other guys involved and pleasing the coach," the first league executives said. "I think that's happened a bit with Frank."

The injection of young point guards into the roster certainly didn't help Ntilikina feel more ease about his position within the team, even if management remains high on his future. As has been previously reported here, the Knicks did turn away multiple trade proposals involving Ntilikina prior to the deadline, according to league sources. But player development is about managing feelings and boosting a player's confidence almost as much as it's about improving skills. With Ntilikina, that was not an area the Knicks emphasized this year.

"It's really hard to develop during the season because you don't have as much time to have practice as you would," Knicks vice president of player development and G League operations Craig Robinson told reporters recently. "The more games you have, the more development you'll see over the summer."

The good news is this means there's a lot of room for improvement—and that the Knicks have a plan to foster that development. Whether that leads to a leap for Ntilikina is anyone's guess. But the Knicks would be wise to devote more of his second year in the NBA to finding out how much of his potential is real.

Yaron Weitzman covers the Knicks and NBA for Bleacher Report.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,167

Post#300 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

knicks gunna knick

No...no they are not saying that. The hindering his development comes from the quick hook. Him playing on and off the ball is good for him IMO. BT is a blow hard.

At least I learned that there are bigger idiots on Twitter than there are on here. Fascinating.

Return to New York Knicks