ImageImageImageImageImage

The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#301 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Sark wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
No no no not allowed to. You gotta chuck to be a good player in the NBA. No one cares about efficiency...that's loser stat nerds. nah man I trust the eye test, cause eye think that my style of basketball is the best. It's about iso ball. Post up BUCKETs. 25 shots for 20 points. Mid range, jab step jab jab step shoot! No one cares about defense. It's not called defenseball. It's called BUCKETSball. Pick and roll defense what's that? Colin Sexton so nice...I love how he gets hot and chucks. I love when he played 3 v 5 and chucked that ball cause he had less people to pass to. What a killer instinct man. HE is a DOG. I want some DOG.

Nice sarcasm but answer my question in the above post. I believe that the definition of a promising rookie is an inconsistent scorer. Durant chucked his rookie year to the tune of like 28%, he got over it. And I'm not saying there's another Durant but all these inefficient chucking rookies are gonna get more efficient. The best of them will get even MORE efficient. THAT to me is development. To take what you show me you can do once and evolve into a player who you can get that out of on a nightly basis.

But you must be right, Franks been scoring his 5pts by shooting .500fg%. I must've missed that.

Durant's development has been totally different from Frank's. Durant was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. He started every game and took the most shots. He wasn't benched for Wally Szczerbiak after making a mistake. Frank has been pulled from games inexplicably when he's done well. He almost became the youngest player ever with a triple double, but couldn't get back in the game to get it.

I don't know about Durant but, the quick hooks on Frank are terrible.
:beer: RIP mags
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#302 » by iCallBankshot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 am

:D
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#303 » by iCallBankshot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 am

:noway:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,027

Post#304 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Sark wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Nice sarcasm but answer my question in the above post. I believe that the definition of a promising rookie is an inconsistent scorer. Durant chucked his rookie year to the tune of like 28%, he got over it. And I'm not saying there's another Durant but all these inefficient chucking rookies are gonna get more efficient. The best of them will get even MORE efficient. THAT to me is development. To take what you show me you can do once and evolve into a player who you can get that out of on a nightly basis.

But you must be right, Franks been scoring his 5pts by shooting .500fg%. I must've missed that.

Durant's development has been totally different from Frank's. Durant was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. He started every game and took the most shots. He wasn't benched for Wally Szczerbiak after making a mistake. Frank has been pulled from games inexplicably when he's done well. He almost became the youngest player ever with a triple double, but couldn't get back in the game to get it.

Durant was drafted #1 overall. Everyone knows there is a significant talent difference in the NBA with players drafted 1,2 over 7,8, the vast majority of the time. Why is this even a comparison, even when talking about development?

Both sides of the argument are pretty silly. Frank, for development purposes, should not have a quick hook - at least not after the AS break. Early on? Why not. Maybe reduce some bad habits. Would be nice if it's a thing for the entire team, but that's too much of a change to ask of Jefe. But after, I'd say let any of the young guys, but especially Frank, play through mistakes to loosen up, because he certainly needs it. And #1 picks are going to get a lot more minutes and latitude in general.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#305 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:42 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Sark wrote:

Durant was drafted #1 overall. Everyone knows there is a significant talent difference in the NBA with players drafted 1,2 over 7,8, the vast majority of the time. Why is this even a comparison, even when talking about development?

Both sides of the argument are pretty silly. Frank, for development purposes, should not have a quick hook - at least not after the AS break. Early on? Why not. Maybe reduce some bad habits. Would be nice if it's a thing for the entire team, but that's too much of a change to ask of Jefe. But after, I'd say let any of the young guys, but especially Frank, play through mistakes to loosen up, because he certainly needs it. And #1 picks are going to get a lot more minutes and latitude in general.

You made sense. Don't ever do that again!!!
:beer: RIP mags
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,176

Post#306 » by dakomish23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#307 » by Sark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It's things like this that simple minded fans can't understand because it's not in the boxscore, or doesn't make a FreeDawkins mix.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#308 » by dakomish23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Sark wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It's things like this that simple minded fans can't understand because it's not in the boxscore, or doesn't make a FreeDawkins mix.

I don’t know about anyone else but it’s pretty damn exciting to see that defense from Frank & Dot. Would love to see these guys on the court together more to build some chemistry. Throw in Troy & KOQ too. Probably Beas since KP is out and they need a guy who can get a bucket

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#309 » by levendis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:09 am

Burke gives this team the best chance to win at this point mostly because the defense is atrocious, teams play half ass defense when they play us, so the best chance we have against teams is by outscoring them. He's shown to be a solid scoring option. What I want to see more moving forward is for him to take more 3s. His game is largely grounded on midrange shots. Don't know how efficient he can be doing that moving forward, but also it would make him a ton more valuable.
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Post#310 » by Toranaga » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Zach Lowe dishes on Burke.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22778687/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-kyrie-irving-nba

5. Trey Burke, thirsty for 2s
Kudos to Trey Burke for making some changes and reclaiming his place in the league. It feels a little icky to nitpick his shot profile.

But, my god, does this dude love long 2-pointers. Almost half his shots have come from the extended midrange, a share that lands Burke in the 99th percentile among all point guards, per Cleaning The Glass. He has hit 55 percent of them so far -- well beyond typical Dirk Nowitzki/Chris Paul territory. Burke has been solid from the midrange in the past -- around 41 percent for his career -- but this season's number is unsustainable.

Burke has been thirsty since the New York Knicks called him up from the G-League. He's launching 18.5 shots per 36 minutes. That would rank 19th among all rotation players, tied with LeBron James. The guys ahead of him are either stars, wannabe stars on terrible teams, or Marreese Speights.

Maybe it doesn't matter. The Knicks without Kristaps Porzingis are awful. Someone has to shoot. It might as well be Burke (or Michael Beasley). There is value in a backup point guard who can generate decent looks almost on his own for bench units bereft of shot creators. Someone has to pass, too, and Burke is dishing 7.7 dimes per 36 minutes.

But Burke's game is a little out of balance. He has earned a shot as backup -- the Knicks have him on a nonguaranteed deal next season -- and with that done, Burke doesn't have to monopolize the offense. Maybe give Frank Ntilikina a few more turns? Try more pull-up 3s, grind on defense, venture farther into the lane.

PS: Good job by the Knicks locking up Troy Williams through next season. He's long and athletic, with some record of hitting corner 3s, and he just turned 23. Worth a look.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,544

Post#311 » by CharlesOakley » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:26 pm

With Ntilikina on the court, the Knicks allow 105.3 points per 100 possessions, which would be 11th in the NBA. With him off the court, New York allows 110.2 points per 100 possessions, which would rank 29th in the league.

Still 19. Still improving on both ends of the floor.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#312 » by dakomish23 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:08 pm

_NYK_ wrote:Zach Lowe dishes on Burke.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22778687/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-kyrie-irving-nba

Kudos to Trey Burke for making some changes and reclaiming his place in the league. It feels a little icky to nitpick his shot profile.

But, my god, does this dude love long 2-pointers. Almost half his shots have come from the extended midrange, a share that lands Burke in the 99th percentile among all point guards, per Cleaning The Glass. He has hit 55 percent of them so far -- well beyond typical Dirk Nowitzki/Chris Paul territory. Burke has been solid from the midrange in the past -- around 41 percent for his career -- but this season's number is unsustainable.

Burke has been thirsty since the New York Knicks called him up from the G-League. He's launching 18.5 shots per 36 minutes. That would rank 19th among all rotation players, tied with LeBron James. The guys ahead of him are either stars, wannabe stars on terrible teams, or Marreese Speights.

Maybe it doesn't matter. The Knicks without Kristaps Porzingis are awful. Someone has to shoot. It might as well be Burke (or Michael Beasley). There is value in a backup point guard who can generate decent looks almost on his own for bench units bereft of shot creators. Someone has to pass, too, and Burke is dishing 7.7 dimes per 36 minutes.

But Burke's game is a little out of balance. He has earned a shot as backup -- the Knicks have him on a nonguaranteed deal next season -- and with that done, Burke doesn't have to monopolize the offense. Maybe give Frank Ntilikina a few more turns? Try more pull-up 3s, grind on defense, venture farther into the lane.

PS: Good job by the Knicks locking up Troy Williams through next season. He's long and athletic, with some record of hitting corner 3s, and he just turned 23. Worth a look.

Not too often we give Lowe positive things to say about this franchise

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,475

Re: RE: Re: The French Prince, Moody, and AI Jr.-Post Allstar Break Edition 

Post#313 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
_NYK_ wrote:Zach Lowe dishes on Burke.

Not too often we give Lowe positive things to say about this franchise

Aside from the "P.S.", I'm not sure that the takeaway was incredibly positive
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#314 » by dakomish23 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Didn’t know where else to dump this

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,515

Post#315 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 pm

B/R article discussing the worst defenders in the NBA at each position, of which PG Emmanuel Mudiay is one. (Shocking, I know.) Perhaps someone here with a greater knowledge of defensive metrics (KT1214?) could illuminate us one what this means. He's already failed the "eye test" imho.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763508-metrics-101-exposing-nbas-worst-defenders-at-each-position

DRPM Z-Score: minus-2.35

DPS Z-Score: minus-1.0

FG% Differential Z-Score: minus-2.07

On/Off Differential Z-Score: minus-0.77

Even though Emmanuel Mudiay entered the NBA as a raw prospect, he was supposed to have the size and frame necessary to hold his own defensively. A 6'5" floor general with a wingspan measuring in at 6'8.5" who boasted sizable amounts of athleticism should be able to get his body and arms into the way of opposing players.

But three years later, Mudiay has emerged as a defensive detriment, and that's remained true with both the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks.

The 22-year-old fares poorly in every one of our categories, but he's dragged down furthest by his putrid score in ESPN.com's DRPM, which places him ahead of exactly zero 1-guards among the 100 classified at the smallest position. In fact, the gap between Mudiay (minus-3.89) and No. 99 Isaiah Thomas (minus-3.11) is sized identically to the chasm between Thomas and No. 93 J.J. Barea.

Mudiay is truly in a class of his own—which, in this case, is far from a positive.

In the past, the floor general has used solid anticipatory skills to navigate pick-and-roll sets against opposing ball-handlers, and his size alone made him a solid isolation stopper. Off-ball situations always caused him to fall asleep, though. Troublingly, he's now drifting in the wrong direction while adversaries know better than to play straight-up ISO basketball against him.

Last year, Mudiay ranked in the 18th and 68th percentiles for spot-up and PnR ball-handler defense, respectively. This season, he checks in at 16th and 50th. That's not the trend the Knicks are looking for, though they should feel pleased they didn't part with any first-round picks while acquiring his services.

Class of the Position: Lonzo Ball, Los Angeles Lakers (5.67); Dejounte Murray, San Antonio Spurs (5.03); Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers (6.18); Fred VanVleet, Toronto Raptors (3.41)

Dishonorable Mentions: Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs (minus-4.64); D'Angelo Russell, Brooklyn Nets (minus-4.73); Dennis Schroder, Atlanta Hawks (minus-6.13); Dennis Smith Jr., Dallas Mavericks (minus-5.17)
Free Palestine
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,475

Post#316 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:B/R article discussing the worst defenders in the NBA at each position, of which PG Emmanuel Mudiay is one. (Shocking, I know.) Perhaps someone here with a greater knowledge of defensive metrics (KT1214?) could illuminate us one what this means. He's already failed the "eye test" imho.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763508-metrics-101-exposing-nbas-worst-defenders-at-each-position

Even though Emmanuel Mudiay entered the NBA as a raw prospect, he was supposed to have the size and frame necessary to hold his own defensively. A 6'5" floor general with a wingspan measuring in at 6'8.5" who boasted sizable amounts of athleticism should be able to get his body and arms into the way of opposing players.

But three years later, Mudiay has emerged as a defensive detriment, and that's remained true with both the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks.

The 22-year-old fares poorly in every one of our categories, but he's dragged down furthest by his putrid score in ESPN.com's DRPM, which places him ahead of exactly zero 1-guards among the 100 classified at the smallest position. In fact, the gap between Mudiay (minus-3.89) and No. 99 Isaiah Thomas (minus-3.11) is sized identically to the chasm between Thomas and No. 93 J.J. Barea.

Mudiay is truly in a class of his own—which, in this case, is far from a positive.

In the past, the floor general has used solid anticipatory skills to navigate pick-and-roll sets against opposing ball-handlers, and his size alone made him a solid isolation stopper. Off-ball situations always caused him to fall asleep, though. Troublingly, he's now drifting in the wrong direction while adversaries know better than to play straight-up ISO basketball against him.

Last year, Mudiay ranked in the 18th and 68th percentiles for spot-up and PnR ball-handler defense, respectively. This season, he checks in at 16th and 50th. That's not the trend the Knicks are looking for, though they should feel pleased they didn't part with any first-round picks while acquiring his services.

Class of the Position: Lonzo Ball, Los Angeles Lakers (5.67); Dejounte Murray, San Antonio Spurs (5.03); Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers (6.18); Fred VanVleet, Toronto Raptors (3.41)

Dishonorable Mentions: Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs (minus-4.64); D'Angelo Russell, Brooklyn Nets (minus-4.73); Dennis Schroder, Atlanta Hawks (minus-6.13); Dennis Smith Jr., Dallas Mavericks (minus-5.17)

It means he sucks at defense :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,515

Post#317 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:B/R article discussing the worst defenders in the NBA at each position, of which PG Emmanuel Mudiay is one. (Shocking, I know.) Perhaps someone here with a greater knowledge of defensive metrics (KT1214?) could illuminate us one what this means. He's already failed the "eye test" imho.

It means he sucks at defense :lol:

Well, then it's nice to know I'm not completely nuts. :lol:
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#318 » by dakomish23 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#319 » by fatalogic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Yet Jeff said he is worried about him guarding certain people?
Read on Twitter
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#320 » by dakomish23 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

fatalogic wrote:Yet Jeff said he is worried about him guarding certain people?
Read on Twitter

Wonder what the number was for Irving

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks