ImageImageImageImageImage

Mills: Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, HerSports85, Capn'O, dakomish23, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,531

Re: Mills: Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild 

Post#301 » by RHODEY » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 am

Sark wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Does this mean they are going to try and dump Hardaway.... :)

The only team I could see taking him is DET

Kennard/ Leuer for Hardaway?

Heartbeat

I can see Atlanta taking him back if we take back a sht contract from them, like Bazemore or Plumlee.

We can only hope...

Hope maybe...just maybe these clowns finally realize next season is perfect for a committed tank. ....nah! :D
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Post#302 » by KennySkyWalker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Dolan wants the FO to be patient. Not the fans. No more big splash quick fix moves.

It's Dolan's way of using someone else to tell the fans that they're just going to have to suck it up for the next several seasons as we will most likely put an even worse product on the court. The US refers to all of us. It's insulting to the fans to have come out and say this. We've known this for 20 years!!! Mills coming out publicy saying Dolan has decreed the Knicks shall now be a patient organization is embarrassing. Just do it! All Knicks fans are asking for is progress each year.

Cool story bro. Mills is just reassuring the fans that Dolan is ok with a slow process. You can put a tin foil hat on and make a big deal if you want. I'm just telling you thr context and who it was actually addressed to.

Great so the front office just failed step 1 of the James Dolan makeover for a day plan by failing to lose 5 more games. Somebody needs to inform Dolan that patience is mostly acquired through the draft.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,402

Post#303 » by Wonderllama » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 am

When is KP expected to return? He got hurt in February. It's tricky with him... you don't want him to miss the entire season, but you also want to lose as much as possible before he returns.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Re: RE: Re: Mills: Dolan Wants Us To Be Patient With Knicks' Rebuild 

Post#304 » by blanko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 am

Wonderllama wrote:When is KP expected to return? He got hurt in February. It's tricky with him... you don't want him to miss the entire season, but you also want to lose as much as possible before he returns.
Most projections have him returning after the all star break. I say tank and sit him for the year or put him on heavy mins restrictions so we can tank.

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#305 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am

blanko wrote:
Wonderllama wrote:When is KP expected to return? He got hurt in February. It's tricky with him... you don't want him to miss the entire season, but you also want to lose as much as possible before he returns.
Most projections have him returning after the all star break. I say tank and sit him for the year or put him on heavy mins restrictions so we can tank.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,908

Post#306 » by HEZI » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am

dakomish23 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Does this mean they are going to try and dump Hardaway.... :)

The only team I could see taking him is DET

Kennard/ Leuer for Hardaway?

Heartbeat

What about Portland? I think they would take Hardaway for Evan Turner because Turner flat out sucks and they desperately need another guy that can help space the floor. He does however have a shorter contract that expires in 2020 so if the Blazers were to attach a 1st round pick I think I would do that deal

THJ for Evan Turner + 24th
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 84,991

Post#307 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 am

Not the biggest Timmay fan but will wait to see if:

Knicks get a coach who stresses defensive accountability and gets through to the players
THJr responds to this plus the benefit of coach actually knowing how to coach defense, instead of the Jeff and Kurt Show.

In other words, I can wait a year on THJr.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#308 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 am

iLovethosedamnknicks wrote:
blanko wrote:

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Maybe let him play the final 5-10 games of the year. Otherwise sit him and get ready for 2020
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 7,056

Post#309 » by Adelheid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Not the biggest Timmay fan but will wait to see if:

Knicks get a coach who stresses defensive accountability and gets through to the players
THJr responds to this plus the benefit of coach actually knowing how to coach defense, instead of the Jeff and Kurt Show.

Budz forced him to play D in ATL and even went to the dleague. Here, he can play whatever amount of effort he wants and doesnt get punished for mucking up assignments. Stack seems to have that accountability edge over Blatt but whatever.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,981

Post#310 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Adelheid wrote:

Budz forced him to play D in ATL and even went to the dleague. Here, he can play whatever amount of effort he wants and doesnt get punished for mucking up assignments. Stack seems to have that accountability edge over Blatt but whatever.

He doesn’t get punished because he has a bigger role offensively here then he did there. Generally ‘star’ players get some slack defensively because they make up for it in other ways. If he’s taking 20 shots a game here, he’s not going to have a tight leash defensively. Goal is to eliminate the need for him to jack up shots, but I can’t imagine that’ll change considering the roster construction.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#311 » by camillepd » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 pm

All Tommy needs is a good defensive minded coach that will keep him accountable and he will be good.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#312 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

He doesn’t get punished because he has a bigger role offensively here then he did there. Generally ‘star’ players get some slack defensively because they make up for it in other ways. If he’s taking 20 shots a game here, he’s not going to have a tight leash defensively. Goal is to eliminate the need for him to jack up shots, but I can’t imagine that’ll change considering the roster construction.

Sorry. That's not going to fly. THJr isn't good enough offensively to get to take off plays regularly on defense. This isn't Larry Bird or Magic Johnson we are talking about.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 7,056

Post#313 » by Adelheid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

He makes very questionable shot selections and chucks too much with horrible efficiency. Doesnt even drive much towards the basket to draw fouls.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#314 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm

It’s not about stressing defensive accountability. We saw how Jeff was treated when he yelled at O’Quinn at the Garden. We saw what happened last season with the 3 hour practices and teammates calling out each other mistakes watching film. The point is to acquire good defensive players period. It’s not a foreign concept. You can’t expect good defense from players that are KNOWN for being bad defensive players.

It doesn’t matter who the coach is. When offensive players struggle offensively, they always press on defense. Coach can sit whoever he wants, but you can’t change these players.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#315 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm

whocares1 wrote:

It’s not about stressing defensive accountability. We saw how Jeff was treated when he yelled at O’Quinn at the Garden. We saw what happened last season with the 3 hour practices and teammates calling out each other mistakes watching film. The point is to acquire good defensive players period. It’s not a foreign concept. You can’t expect good defense from players that are KNOWN for being bad defensive players.

It doesn’t matter who the coach is. When offensive players struggle offensively, they always press on defense. Coach can sit whoever he wants, but you can’t change these players.

I get that. I see multiple issues. The Knicks need better defensive players - more of them. They had enough to be better than they were and had options to pull guys when effort was bad and plug in a willing defender, but Jeff didn't stress effort and accountability. Plus his schemes were bad and I feel their defensive preparation/game planning could have been better too. Now, THJr is never going to be a great defender, but he can be a lot better. Probably adequate. Which can be ok for what he brings offensively.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#316 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

I get that. I see multiple issues. The Knicks need better defensive players - more of them. They had enough to be better than they were and had options to pull guys when effort was bad and plug in a willing defender, but Jeff didn't stress effort and accountability. Plus his schemes were bad and I feel their defensive preparation/game planning could have been better too. Now, THJr is never going to be a great defender, but he can be a lot better. Probably adequate. Which can be ok for what he brings offensively.

How did Jeff not stress effort and accountability? He started Lance Thomas of all people. He chose Quinn over Willy because of defense. I know his daughter is biased but I’m assuming she isn’t lying about Jeff staying up till 4 am to prep for games. You work with what you’re given.

He had to balance offense + defense so if he’s relying on certain offensive players to score, he’s going to have a longer leash on those players on the defensive end. It’s not like Jeff had zero success in the league like Rambis, his Suns team actually overperformed in his first season. The point is that there isn’t a coach in the NBA that would’ve made the Knicks a respectable defensive team.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,576

Post#317 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm

As much as i would love to shed Hardaway's contract, I doubt we are looking to move him. That's Mills guy. Seems like they view him as part of the core.
Mavs
C: Horford | Goga | Paul Reed |
PF: Lauri Markkanen | Simone
SF: Trey Murphy | Trent
SG: Spida | Vassell
PG: FVV | Mann | Deuce
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,908

Post#318 » by HEZI » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 pm

THJ is like JR Smith, he is who he is. There is no changing him, he's gonna play the only way he knows how to play so lets not pretend like there will be some light bulb that will finally turn on at some point. It won't! We all know that we aren't getting anywhere with him so just trade him and try to squeeze out at least some kind of future assets if at all possible.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
whocares1
General Manager

Post#319 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:As much as i would love to shed Hardaway's contract, I doubt we are looking to move him. That's Mills guy. Seems like they view him as part of the core.

Doesn’t just seem like it. He IS part of their core.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#320 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 pm

whocares1 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

How did Jeff not stress effort and accountability? He started Lance Thomas of all people. He chose Quinn over Willy because of defense. I know his daughter is biased but I’m assuming she isn’t lying about Jeff staying up till 4 am to prep for games. You work with what you’re given.

He had to balance offense + defense so if he’s relying on certain offensive players to score, he’s going to have a longer leash on those players on the defensive end. It’s not like Jeff had zero success in the league like Rambis, his Suns team actually overperformed in his first season. The point is that there isn’t a coach in the NBA that would’ve made the Knicks a respectable defensive team.

Just not enough. I've never said he was an abysmal coach. But clearly whoever did the schemes didn't have good ones. And while he played guys who gave effort and defense, in spite of needing to ride guys who had the offense, his leash was too long.

Unless the Knicks are searching for a new coach just because.

Return to New York Knicks