ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Presidential Election Thread presents: The Aftermath

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,506

Re: 2020 Presidential Election Thread presents: The Aftermath 

Post#41 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Oscirus wrote:So bernie wants to be sec of labor which Id imagine that the senate would allow just to get him out of their hair, i guess warren wants treasury but im not sure she'll get that, and pete wants to be the un ambassador.

Onto other news. Even though I dont believe this, current explanation for trump firings
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pentagon-purge-reportedly-attempt-194755505.html

I just hope the Senate Dems know what they're doing when it comes to replacing the ones they pluck for Biden's cabinet. I agree that Warren will be shut out.
Free Palestine
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#42 » by stuporman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Stuporman finally snapped?

Nice to see I live rent free in your head. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,405

Post#43 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:53 pm

stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now get busy and shovel the chit out through my ears
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#44 » by Oscirus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Oscirus wrote:So bernie wants to be sec of labor which Id imagine that the senate would allow just to get him out of their hair, i guess warren wants treasury but im not sure she'll get that, and pete wants to be the un ambassador.

Onto other news. Even though I dont believe this, current explanation for trump firings
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pentagon-purge-reportedly-attempt-194755505.html

I just hope the Senate Dems know what they're doing when it comes to replacing the ones they pluck for Biden's cabinet. I agree that Warren will be shut out.

vermonts governor said hed pick a left-leaning independent to replace bernie. Might be bullshitting though dont know him

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/525587-sanders-says-he-would-accept-labor-secretary-job-in-biden-cabinet
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#45 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 pm

Oscirus wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

vermonts governor said hed pick a left-leaning independent to replace bernie. Might be bullshitting though dont know him

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/525587-sanders-says-he-would-accept-labor-secretary-job-in-biden-cabinet

I'd choose Lefty McLeftFace
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#46 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:03 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Free Palestine
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#47 » by Oscirus » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:08 am

lol. though i feel dumb for not knowing the dude on the left.

Read on Twitter
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#48 » by Phish Tank » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:32 am

stuporman wrote:Remember this name. ..... John Fetterman. He is currently the deputy governor and will probably run for a Senate seat in PA. He is 6-8, tattooed, bald, goateed, socdem who owns like one suit but mostly dresses like a middle America blue collar worker and will crush opponents..... electorally......that is.

He's a national treasure
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#49 » by stuporman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:49 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

As a matter of fact there is alot of chit between your ears.... I'm not sure this is what they meant by a dirty mind.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#50 » by Oscirus » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:56 am

Phish Tank wrote:
stuporman wrote:Remember this name. ..... John Fetterman. He is currently the deputy governor and will probably run for a Senate seat in PA. He is 6-8, tattooed, bald, goateed, socdem who owns like one suit but mostly dresses like a middle America blue collar worker and will crush opponents..... electorally......that is.

He's a national treasure

just looked him up, thought he sounded familiar. Mostly cuz of what just happened to his wife
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#51 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:58 am

stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

As a matter of fact there is alot of chit between your ears.... I'm not sure this is what they meant by a dirty mind.

Just don't sweep out the last word. I need that to argue with you.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#52 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 am

Oscirus wrote:lol. though i feel dumb for not knowing the dude on the left.

Read on Twitter

Guy on the left is Captain Kanghindoo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#53 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

:o :nod:
Free Palestine
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#54 » by Phish Tank » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:09 am

Read on Twitter

Shahid Buttar.... he's been trying to unseat Pelosi for 2 cycles :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#55 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:17 am

Read on Twitter

Butter is a Sanders supporter. Either he or Cenk would be great. Cenk can get a little hot under the collar sometimes but maybe that's not a bad thing. They're both passionate but with different styles.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#56 » by j4remi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 am

GONYK wrote:
I think this election more than proved that Trump was insulated from normal political metrics like approval ratings and material conditions. 200k+ Americans died from a pandemic he bungled and his approval rating remained the same.

I don't think this addresses my point about down ballot failures at all. Trump didn't exceed expectations, Susan Collins did. The political metrics that led to a blue wave in 2018, only got worse in 2020. Trump lost...down ballot Republicans won. There's a disconnect here that I don't think you can just throw out all the metrics to explain.

GONYK wrote:I think there is a difference between "Dems aren't as good across the board as they were before gaining the Presidency" and "Dems are in an objectively terrible spot". The former is true, the latter is debatable and depends on how they conduct themselves going forward.

There's also a difference between pointing out that their chances to enact change took a hit and just flat out calling it an objectively terrible spot. They lost leverage in the House, they lost the Judiciary for a lifetime and they don't have the numbers in the Senate to force changes regardless of Georgia special election outcomes. They failed to make any gains in state legislatures that they needed off of a census year. They have limited options for enacting change thanks to the make up of the three branches after this election.

Is there a possibility that Joe Biden comes with a wrecking ball full of executive actions that bring about sweeping changes to the country? Sure. Was the entire point of his campaign that he isn't that guy which is why he's a safe choice though? Absolutely.

GONYK wrote:I also think "Dems are not where we expected them to be all summer" is not truly a legitimate take, since that expectation was built on bad data.

Dems are in a position to potentially control the WH and Congress.

Well no, only the polling can be considered "bad data." The rest of the data is accurate. We are in a pandemic, most people didn't like Trump after all, businesses are in trouble as second lockdowns approach and there are indeed 200 thousand dead Americans. That the Dems failed to connect those material pains to the Republicans down ballot in any meaningful way is a costly mistake. We can ignore that data or claim that it just isn't applicable but I don't think it would be fair to delegitimize anyone's take who is actually accounting for realities in the numbers just because things could have been worse.

Yes, the Dems might eke out control of Congress relying on conservative Dems like Joe Manchin in tough swing districts to side with them on policy. They won the presidency and while they lost seats in the House, they didn't lose the House outright which is important. But this is all meaningless if conservative Dems water down legislation by playing deficit hawk for publicity or if the courts strike down attempts to change things. The redistricting fight is lost too, no debating on that one.

We can do a wait and see on this though. Let's see if Biden can get his promises through or if the conversation changes as a result of the make-up of Congress. I've been caught in this cycle before, but if he breaks it I'll be happy to eat crow.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#57 » by j4remi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 am

Read on Twitter

Shahid Buttar, a really impressive dude chasing an impossible seat (Pelosi's). He definitely got under the wrong people's skin too, he faced eventually debunked character assassinations even though he wasn't much of a threat. His interviews are worth checking out, he's pretty heavy on the progressive tip so expect that but the skills as an orator are what stand out.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#58 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:47 am

j4remi wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I think this election more than proved that Trump was insulated from normal political metrics like approval ratings and material conditions. 200k+ Americans died from a pandemic he bungled and his approval rating remained the same.

I don't think this addresses my point about down ballot failures at all. Trump didn't exceed expectations, Susan Collins did. The political metrics that led to a blue wave in 2018, only got worse in 2020. Trump lost...down ballot Republicans won. There's a disconnect here that I don't think you can just throw out all the metrics to explain.

GONYK wrote:I think there is a difference between "Dems aren't as good across the board as they were before gaining the Presidency" and "Dems are in an objectively terrible spot". The former is true, the latter is debatable and depends on how they conduct themselves going forward.

There's also a difference between pointing out that their chances to enact change took a hit and just flat out calling it an objectively terrible spot. They lost leverage in the House, they lost the Judiciary for a lifetime and they don't have the numbers in the Senate to force changes regardless of Georgia special election outcomes. They failed to make any gains in state legislatures that they needed off of a census year. They have limited options for enacting change thanks to the make up of the three branches after this election.

Is there a possibility that Joe Biden comes with a wrecking ball full of executive actions that bring about sweeping changes to the country? Sure. Was the entire point of his campaign that he isn't that guy which is why he's a safe choice though? Absolutely.

GONYK wrote:I also think "Dems are not where we expected them to be all summer" is not truly a legitimate take, since that expectation was built on bad data.

Well no, only the polling can be considered "bad data." The rest of the data is accurate. We are in a pandemic, most people didn't like Trump after all, businesses are in trouble as second lockdowns approach and there are indeed 200 thousand dead Americans. That the Dems failed to connect those material pains to the Republicans down ballot in any meaningful way is a costly mistake. We can ignore that data or claim that it just isn't applicable but I don't think it would be fair to delegitimize anyone's take who is actually accounting for realities in the numbers just because things could have been worse.

Yes, the Dems might eke out control of Congress relying on conservative Dems like Joe Manchin in tough swing districts to side with them on policy. They won the presidency and while they lost seats in the House, they didn't lose the House outright which is important. But this is all meaningless if conservative Dems water down legislation by playing deficit hawk for publicity or if the courts strike down attempts to change things. The redistricting fight is lost too, no debating on that one.

We can do a wait and see on this though. Let's see if Biden can get his promises through or if the conversation changes as a result of the make-up of Congress. I've been caught in this cycle before, but if he breaks it I'll be happy to eat crow.

Do you believe the average voter has any grasp of the executive actions taken by any president? I don't particularly. Political heads know, but it doesn't seem Trump's executive actions ever made it to the front pages or became a campaign topic. And I kind of doubt Biden's EA's will either.

I don't know how active he will be in using them, but for things like environmental protections being restored I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't quite active.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,597

Post#59 » by Fat Kat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,465

Post#60 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 am

j4remi wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I feel like we're having 2 different conversations, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

Does this new congressional makeup limit Biden's ability to do the ambitious changes we were hoping for? Without a doubt. Voting Rights Act, court realignment, Obamacare expansion, etc... probably all DOA in the form we hoped.

Is it objectively a bad position to be in control of the WH and Congress? No.

Return to New York Knicks