ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#521 » by MrOrange » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm

rajajackal wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:If the team plays cuts, he'll flourish. Why on Earth cut and slash basket is not utilized sometimes? It is an effective weapon and suited for KP among many more things.

Well we do have a garbage coach and that's a big reason why we can't put too much blame on the players. I hope Perry gets us a good coach.

we're tanking one more year and then developing under david blatt (years as a knick fan just generates this gut feeling)

I know that you are under impression that Blatt is some kind of panacea. He is not. Look at his track record in Euro club basket. NYK will be in for another cycle of pain, if Blatt joins.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Re: RE: Re: Porzingis thread #4: The KP era is upon us 

Post#522 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 pm

MrOrange wrote:
rajajackal wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:
Well we do have a garbage coach and that's a big reason why we can't put too much blame on the players. I hope Perry gets us a good coach.

we're tanking one more year and then developing under david blatt (years as a knick fan just generates this gut feeling)

I know that you are under impression that Blatt is some kind of panacea. He is not. Look at his track record in Euro club basket. NYK will be in for another cycle of pain, if Blatt joins.
What about his Euro record are you referring to?
MrOrange
Senior

Post#523 » by MrOrange » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

GONYK wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
rajajackal wrote:

Darusaffaca (3rd richest club in Europe) and the general record, when he has been with club basket. Don't raise your expectations.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#524 » by MrOrange » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm

MrOrange wrote:
GONYK wrote:
MrOrange wrote:I know that you are under impression that Blatt is some kind of panacea. He is not. Look at his track record in Euro club basket. NYK will be in for another cycle of pain, if Blatt joins.

Darusaffaca (3rd richest club in Europe) and the general record, when he has been with club basket. Don't raise your expectations.

The truth is you would be looking for his head in the second season. :) NYK problems are systemic, not coach dependant.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#525 » by MrOrange » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 pm

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#526 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:09 pm

MrOrange wrote:
GONYK wrote:
MrOrange wrote:I know that you are under impression that Blatt is some kind of panacea. He is not. Look at his track record in Euro club basket. NYK will be in for another cycle of pain, if Blatt joins.

EuroLeague champion (2014)
EuroLeague Coach of the Year (2014)
4× Israeli Super League Coach of the Year (1996, 2002, 2011, 2014)
6× Israeli Cup winner (2002, 2003, 2011–2014)
5× Israeli Super League champion (2002, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2014)
FIBA EuroChallenge champion (2005)
Russian Super League Coach of the Year (2005)
Italian League champion (2006)
Italian Cup winner (2007)
Adriatic League champion (2012)
Russian Federation Order of Friendship award recipient (2014)

All of that is voided out because he is only slightly above .500 with his latest club?
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,712

Post#527 » by rajajackal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:10 pm

MrOrange wrote:
rajajackal wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

you "know" what impression i have of david blatt? interesting. i didn't share an opinion, i made a prediction
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#528 » by JohnWillow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

GONYK wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
GONYK wrote:What about his Euro record are you referring to?

EuroLeague champion (2014)
EuroLeague Coach of the Year (2014)
4× Israeli Super League Coach of the Year (1996, 2002, 2011, 2014)
6× Israeli Cup winner (2002, 2003, 2011–2014)
5× Israeli Super League champion (2002, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2014)
FIBA EuroChallenge champion (2005)
Russian Super League Coach of the Year (2005)
Italian League champion (2006)
Italian Cup winner (2007)
Adriatic League champion (2012)
Russian Federation Order of Friendship award recipient (2014)

All of that is voided out because he is only slightly above .500 with his latest club?

Don't forget about what he did with Russian national team... Eurobasket Gold in 2007, Bronze in 2011 and London's Olympic bronze medal.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,834

Post#529 » by DOT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

I'd rather try and poach Ettore Messina off of the Spurs, honestly

Wouldn't mind Blatt though, he walked into a bad situation for a rookie coach in Cleveland
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#530 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 pm

K-DOT wrote:I'd rather try and poach Ettore Messina off of the Spurs, honestly

Wouldn't mind Blatt though, he walked into a bad situation for a rookie coach in Cleveland
Too bad Mills doesn't have a 20+ year relationship with Messina. He'd be interesting with KP.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Post#531 » by seren » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

Fire Hornacek right now. Bring whoever will start Frank.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#532 » by DOT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 am

seren wrote:Fire Hornacek right now. Bring whoever will start Frank.

Firing a coach the day before the first game is a great way to show we're not dysfunctional

And how do you know Perry/Mills don't feel the same way? If they wanted Frank to start, they could tell Jeff to start him
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Post#533 » by seren » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 am

K-DOT wrote:

Firing a coach the day before the first game is a great way to show we're not dysfunctional

And how do you know Perry/Mills don't feel the same way? If they wanted Frank to start, they could tell Jeff to start him

Fire Mills/Perry too. You will not find a single franchise apart from this one who will start Sessions in any scenario. Not a rebuilding one. Not a playoff bound one. You really have to have some special people to start Sessions over your lottery pick and the sophomore you just gave 4 million.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by DOT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 am

seren wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

Fire Mills/Perry too. You will not find a single franchise apart from this one who will start Sessions in any scenario. Not a rebuilding one. Not a playoff bound one. You really have to have some special people to start Sessions over your lottery pick and the sophomore you just gave 4 million.

22 year old Walt Frazier came off the bench his rookie year (after being the 5th pick)

I think it's fine if 19 year old 8th pick Frank starts the season on the bench

If your response to them not starting a 19 year old is "fire everybody" then you need to take a breath, smoke a blunt, and chill. Frank's gonna develop. He's the best PG on the team. Eventually he'll be our starter.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,007

Post#535 » by RHODEY » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am

MrOrange wrote:
rajajackal wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

I dunno Blatt does seem to have sort of a "Red Holzman" feel to him. I was never high on him before but for some reason I think he'd click with our guys.
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#536 » by April madness » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lock-in/

In this edition of The Players’ POV, we get inside the mind of Kristaps Porzingis. The Knicks Forward shares his thoughts on Carmelo Anthony’s trade, his experience building a strong team in the offseason, and his hopes for the future of the New York Knicks.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#537 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 pm

April madness wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lock-in/

In this edition of The Players’ POV, we get inside the mind of Kristaps Porzingis. The Knicks Forward shares his thoughts on Carmelo Anthony’s trade, his experience building a strong team in the offseason, and his hopes for the future of the New York Knicks.

KP said he knows he has to get better. He said as for individual goals he wants to make the All Star team, he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year and he wants to win the Most Improved Player of the year award. He's saying all the right things as a leader.

The team goal is to make the playoffs.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#538 » by NYKAL » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:

KP said he knows he has to get better. He said as for individual goals he wants to make the All Star team, he wants to be Defensive Player of the Year and he wants to win the Most Improved Player of the year award. He's saying all the right things as a leader.

we've heard players say the right things and not back them up more often than not. I'd rather he just sftu, go out and just do it.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#539 » by NY 567 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 pm

KP is absolutely a franchise guy in the right role. Optimally he's a pick and roll and pick and pop Center who provides elite rim protection. Having him as a faceup at the elbow, isolation PF on offense who chases smaller, athletic 3 point shooters on the perimeter on defense takes him both out of position and away from his strengths, which makes him a far, far less effective player. It would be an unbelievable waste if this isn't rectified.

Right now, he's a 22 year old Amare on offense, less athletic but a lot taller, and a rim protector on defense. That's absolutely a franchise guy. Finding a decent guard who can run a play for him and playing him in his proper position is what needs to be done right now.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#540 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

we've heard players say the right things and not back them up more often than not. I'd rather he just sftu, go out and just do it.

I'll actually believe in my Knicks players. He was interviewed so I'm glad he answered them.

Return to New York Knicks