ImageImageImageImageImage

College/Draft #6 - NCAA Finals + Draft Leadup W/ Knicks In The Top Seed!!!

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who do you take at 5???

Garland
33%
Reddish
27%
Clarke
4%
Hunter
16%
Hayes
No votes
Coby
1%
Rui
4%
Romeo
2%
Bol
6%
Other
7%

Total votes: 82

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,263

Re: College/Draft #6 - NCAA Finals + Draft Leadup W/ Knicks In The Top Seed!!! 

Post#581 » by Juco24 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 am

NoLayupRule wrote:i wonder if Ja will be be able to defend in the nba despite his weight because of these anti-touching rules

I dont have high hopes for his defensive impact but its possible he could be a steals type defender and at least play competent team / rotational defense

For what it's worth... I thought the same about Trae and he surprised me
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,189

Post#582 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Imagine passing on Luka :o

If bish held a redraft I would still take Ayton 8-)

Yeah I don’t think the Suns placed Ayton in a good position to succeed unlike what the Mavs and Hawks did for Luka and Trae.

Ayton needed a PG ala Towns did with Rubio. I recall that in KAT’s rookie year the Rubio-to-Towns was among the highest assist-to-points combo in the league.

The way to offset Ayton’s alleged deficiences in defense was to involve him more in the offense.

Despite everything Ayton was still able to put up solid numbers.

Selecting him was not the Suns’ mistake. It was their inability to fully unlock him. It is still not late though.

Yeah I'm hoping they get a PG (Ja Morant :D ) or someone who can feed him. That will take his game to a whole new level. But at least the Suns are developing his defense nicely. I remember reading that Igor Kokosov has Ayton studying Rudy Gobert. So far it's helping him improve so that's good.

And peep this, I just saw this on twitter. He did this without a point guard. Sky's the limit for him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#583 » by Tron Carter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am

Juco24 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:i wonder if Ja will be be able to defend in the nba despite his weight because of these anti-touching rules

I dont have high hopes for his defensive impact but its possible he could be a steals type defender and at least play competent team / rotational defense

i hope you mean surprised you as in he’s even worse then he was projected
R.I.P Black Mamba
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,263

Post#584 » by Juco24 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:04 am

Tron Carter wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

i hope you mean surprised you as in he’s even worse then he was projected

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That bad huh? Only watched him a handful of times. Good one man!
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,355

Post#585 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:10 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:If bish held a redraft I would still take Ayton 8-)

Yeah I don’t think the Suns placed Ayton in a good position to succeed unlike what the Mavs and Hawks did for Luka and Trae.

Ayton needed a PG ala Towns did with Rubio. I recall that in KAT’s rookie year the Rubio-to-Towns was among the highest assist-to-points combo in the league.

The way to offset Ayton’s alleged deficiences in defense was to involve him more in the offense.

Despite everything Ayton was still able to put up solid numbers.

Selecting him was not the Suns’ mistake. It was their inability to fully unlock him. It is still not late though.

Yeah I'm hoping they get a PG (Ja Morant :D ) or someone who can feed him. That will take his game to a whole new level. But at least the Suns are developing his defense nicely. I remember reading that Igor Kokosov has Ayton studying Rudy Gobert. So far it's helping him improve so that's good.

And peep this, I just saw this on twitter. He did this without a point guard. Sky's the limit for him

Suns should explore trading for Mike Conley if they don’t land in the Top 2 in the lottery.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,355

Post#586 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:19 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
awy wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:So you admitting you have not followed the suns this season. Good to know. Because what you described is how he played in October. Now I see why you think he never improved :lol:

i know he has improved but it’s still sporatic. he’s had good 1 on 1 games vs giannis/lebron because of his size and speed are great, but the suns are still very bad with him on the court defensively.

i’ll dig more into it later

It’s not sporadic. There has been consistent improvement throughout the season.
Read on Twitter

Suns are a bad defensive team with him or without him so that point is moot. If it was the opposite then the Suns would’ve went on a big winning streak to end the season when Ayton was out with an injury. Nobody is saying Ayton is a great defender but he has shown enough improvement to where you can project him to be an above average defensive anchor in the future. I am not sure why you compared him to Mitch in your previous post when no one thinks he is on the same level as him defensively either. Mitch is a legendary shot blocker/defender in the making while Ayton is not. Ayton is miles ahead on offense tho. That’s the difference between them two. Hoping we get James Wiseman next year since he basically has some traits of Ayton and Mitch together. Wiseman and Mitch is a scary front court

James Wiseman will indeed be the prize.

The kid seems to have that drive to become a household name.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,887

Post#587 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:13 am

Juco24 wrote:

he's my defensive comparison point too

Ja is clearly taler and more athletic but Trae has way better offense
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,657

Post#588 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 pm

No one wants to coach St. John's smh.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,541

Post#589 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:22 pm

j4remi wrote:No one wants to coach St. John's smh.

:lol: :cry:

tainted since jarvis. levin did a solid job.

damn shame. SJU should be a DESTINATION. but it's a testament to the global and national game that NYC is not the selling point it used to be.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,657

Post#590 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

damn shame. SJU should be a DESTINATION. but it's a testament to the global and national game that NYC is not the selling point it used to be.

It's been rough. The last SJU team that I really got to go full stan mode on was when Marcus Hatten went off in the NIT :cry: ...the NIT fam!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,251

Post#591 » by Spree2Houston » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

There's no real campus life there. It's a borderline commuter school.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#592 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

that was my experience. commuted from harlem (yuck). dating myself, but my freshman year was the first year there were dorms on campus. as you point out, that never took hold.

some kids took to some of the houses nearby. and there's hardly any places to eat or hang out on utopia or union. def not the move for campus life.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#593 » by Dantares » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Ok guys I was high on wendell carter, trae young, luka, sexton and mikal bridges last draft. I admit i was really high on Knox after he blew up in summer league, he had a rough year but I haven't given up hope he is still young. Given my great track record last year I am going to give you my prediction for this year. Deandre hunter, ja and Zion, hachimura will be studs. I speak truth.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#594 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Dantares wrote:Ok guys I was high on wendell carter, trae young, luka, sexton and mikal bridges last draft. I admit i was really high on Knox after he blew up in summer league, he had a rough year but I haven't given up hope he is still young. Given my great track record last year I am going to give you my prediction for this year. Deandre hunter, ja and Zion, hachimura will be studs. I speak truth.

Im curious on why you think Rui will be a stud. I just don't see it at all on the NBA level. I kind of just see a slightly bigger but worse shooting Chandler Hutchinson. His lack of foot speed is going to kill him defensively and I just don't see him being a complete enough dominant offensive player to make up for his defensive deficiencies.
Dantares
Head Coach

Post#595 » by Dantares » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Dantares wrote:Ok guys I was high on wendell carter, trae young, luka, sexton and mikal bridges last draft. I admit i was really high on Knox after he blew up in summer league, he had a rough year but I haven't given up hope he is still young. Given my great track record last year I am going to give you my prediction for this year. Deandre hunter, ja and Zion, hachimura will be studs. I speak truth.

Im curious on why you think Rui will be a stud. I just don't see it at all on the NBA level. I kind of just see a slightly bigger but worse shooting Chandler Hutchinson. His lack of foot speed is going to kill him defensively and I just don't see him being a complete enough dominant offensive player to make up for his defensive deficiencies.

I see rui as the prototypical modern day small ball 4 where his foot speed will be more than adequate. He is listed at 235 and we know most rookies that come into the league are able to gain another 10-15 pounds while becoming more explosive. I like his energy and the way he seeks contact on his drives. He plays bully ball and I like that.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#596 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Dantares wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I see rui as the prototypical modern day small ball 4 where his foot speed will be more than adequate. He is listed at 235 and we know most rookies that come into the league are able to gain another 10-15 pounds while becoming more explosive. I like his energy and the way he seeks contact on his drives. He plays bully ball and I like that.

A modern small ball 4 that doesn't rebound, protect the rim or shoot the 3 though? I think he can become a solid 3pt shooter. I just don't see what he is going to excel at though. His offense is always going to be predicated off his mid range game, I don't see that ever changing because that is his entire game. I see him having major issues handling the switches and PnR of the NBA defensively. And again Im just not sure he is going to have a big enough impact offensively to make up for the lack of defense. I think he is going to be a solid rotation player, I just don't see stud.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,635

Post#597 » by robillionaire » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 pm

the wasserman draft guy from bleacher report said he thinks the knicks will take Reddish or Hunter if we get 4th or 5th fwiw
Dantares
Head Coach

Post#598 » by Dantares » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Dantares wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

A modern small ball 4 that doesn't rebound, protect the rim or shoot the 3 though? I think he can become a solid 3pt shooter. I just don't see what he is going to excel at though. His offense is always going to be predicated off his mid range game, I don't see that ever changing because that is his entire game. I see him having major issues handling the switches and PnR of the NBA defensively. And again Im just not sure he is going to have a big enough impact offensively to make up for the lack of defense. I think he is going to be a solid rotation player, I just don't see stud.

I think he is going to be a matchup nightmare on offense though. If you are big enough to guard him in the post then he has the 3 ball and that jab step mid range so he will score easily, if you play off him he can make that shot or if you play him to close he will drive by you. If you are too small then he will bully ball you in the post and get an and1. and like i said before his speed will be fine for the 4 spot. So we shall see how he handles those pick and rolls on defense.

bigtimeRC3
Pro Prospect
And1: 571

Post#599 » by bigtimeRC3 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

that was my experience. commuted from harlem (yuck). dating myself, but my freshman year was the first year there were dorms on campus. as you point out, that never took hold.

some kids took to some of the houses nearby. and there's hardly any places to eat or hang out on utopia or union. def not the move for campus life.

st johns was terrible. terrible school, public safety was a bunch of bumbling fools. six years of my life there. very suspect people. only good thing it was only a 3 minute drive...
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#600 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:26 am

bigtimeRC3 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:

st johns was terrible. terrible school, public safety was a bunch of bumbling fools. six years of my life there. very suspect people. only good thing it was only a 3 minute drive...

well, damn. lol.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks