ImageImageImageImageImage

BaF Season Three: Offseason thread (Free Agency announcement- page 96)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,649

Re: BaF Season Two: Finals/Offseason thread 

Post#61 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:28 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Someone tell me whats the point of drafting Cam Reddish in top 5 Kevin Knox in top 10 with their already huge hit in salary lol

It is the exact salary that draft picks get IRL proportionally adjusted to our salary cap.

Do they get paid 10 million second year of their contracts since you are drafting them to keep them for years?

B: L. Doncic | D. Banton | J. Carter
B: B. Ingram | A. Burks
B: D. Jones Jr | K. Oubre
B: Z. Williamson | K. Lofton Jr
B: K. Porzingis | D. Powell
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,658

Post#62 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:30 pm

El Poochio wrote:You want the dude give Bagley 100+ a year before he even sees how NBA Bagley would be reflected in sim

This would be acceptable if ratings were updated through year according to real life, at least make it possible after second year so his first year in NBA would be in sim

Still dont see why anyone would waste high pick allocate salary to undeveloped needing time youth though since you wont be able to extend

I'm missing your argument completely tbh...the way the game has been for the first two years, there was no ability to keep a draft pick from UFA after four years. If you argue that the first year is a "wasted" year which others did as well because the sim doesn't hold rookies in high regard, then the extension proposal is only helping your ability to keep that draft pick to the point of paying off.

Why won't you be able to extend?
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Post#63 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:32 pm

El Poochio wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Someone tell me whats the point of drafting Cam Reddish in top 5 Kevin Knox in top 10 with their already huge hit in salary lol

It is the exact salary that draft picks get IRL proportionally adjusted to our salary cap.

Do they get paid 10 million second year of their contracts since you are drafting them to keep them for years?

You dont have to pay them 10 million if u dont want to. The only reason u would do that is to get them at a HUGE discount in years 5-7. There is no way some of these studs would sign for $10 mil in there extension years when they would probably get close to $20mil or more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#64 » by King of Canada » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:34 pm

El Poochio wrote:You want the dude give Bagley 100+ a year before he even sees how NBA Bagley would be reflected in sim

This would be acceptable if ratings were updated through year according to real life, at least make it possible after second year so his first year in NBA would be in sim

Still dont see why anyone would waste high pick allocate salary to undeveloped needing time youth though since you wont be able to extend

I don’t get the opposition. If you prefer free agency then go that way. For Trae if you’re unsure wait until the end of this year to see how he does and then drop a one or two year extension on him. It seems like a can’t miss for him. Guys that take longer to develop may not get extended IRL too, and real teams make that call.

Also - players that may need more developing can be taken later and will make far less. I drafted Okogie with a 2nd rounder last year, and he’s getting extended which will be $17. Later picks have time to develop due to lower cost.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#65 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:36 pm

King of Canada wrote:

I don’t get the opposition. If you prefer free agency then go that way. For Trae if you’re unsure wait until the end of this year to see how he does and then drop a one or two year extension on him. It seems like a can’t miss for him. Guys that take longer to develop may not get extended IRL too, and real teams make that call.

Also - players that may need more developing can be taken later and will make far less. I drafted Okogie with a 2nd rounder last year, and he’s getting extended which will be $17. Later picks have time to develop due to lower cost.

And that's why I dont agree with this model. Some studs are gonna be taking major discounts having to resign at $17 as opposed to $100+

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Context
RealGM
And1: 14,524

Post#66 » by Context » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:37 pm

King of Canada wrote:

I agree with him- 1 year is not enough time to make such a big decision on a lottery pick-that could ultimately affect your franchise...a lot of these guys take 3 years to find themselves -much less a year...
LaMelo/J-Green
S.Barnes/JMAC
Herbert-J/Kyle
JarenJjr/Portis
B.Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#67 » by Context » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:38 pm

Context wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:
Context wrote:what list are you going off of?

Draft Slot Salary

1 3/67 $201 total
2 3/60 $180 total
3 3/54 $162 total
4 3/48 $144 total
5 3/44 $132 total
6 3/40 $120 total
7 3/36 $108 total
8 3/33 $99 total
9 3/30 $90 total
10 3/29 $87 total
11 3/27 $81 total
12 3/26 $78 total
13 3/25 $75 total
14 3/23 $69 total
15 3/22 $66 total
16 3/21 $63 total
17 3/20 $60 total
18 3/19 $57 total
19 3/18 $54 total
20 3/17 $51 total
21 3/17 $51 total
22 3/16 $48 total
23 3/15 $45 total
24 3/15 $45 total
25 3/14 $42 total
26 3/14 $42 total
27 3/13 $39 total
28 3/13 $39 total
29 3/13 $39 total
30 3/13 $39 total

31 2/12 $24 total
32 2/12 $24 total
33 2/12 $24 total
34 2/11 $22 total
35 2/11 $22 total
36 2/11 $22 total
37 2/10 $20 total
38 2/10 $20 total
39 2/10 $20 total
40 2/9 $18 total
41 2/9 $18 total
42 2/9 $18 total
43 2/8 $16 total
44 2/8 $16 total
45 2/8 $16 total
46 2/7 $14 total
47 2/7 $14 total
48 2/7 $14 total
49 2/6 $12 total
50 2/6 $12 total
51 2/5 $10 total
52 2/5 $10 total
53 2/4 $8 total
54 2/4 $8 total
55 2/3 $6 total
56 2/3 $6 total
57 2/2 $4 total
58 2/2 $4 total
59 2/1 $2 total
60 2/1 $2 total

#1 pick is $67 a year for 3 years ($201 total value of contract before deciding on the fourth year option).

but the cap hit is $67?
LaMelo/J-Green
S.Barnes/JMAC
Herbert-J/Kyle
JarenJjr/Portis
B.Lopez/Duren
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#68 » by Slicin N Dicin » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Reggie, Dinwidde, DeRozan, Kieff, Roberson, Johnson, Ill Will :lol: - listening to offers on em
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#69 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Context wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

I agree with him- 1 year is not enough time to make such a franchising decision on a lottery pick...a lot of these guys take 3 years to find themselves -much less a year...

That's why smash model was interesting if player panned out current team would have best chance at retaining but u would be paying close to market value which was $300 per yr

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

El Poochio

Post#70 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:44 pm

bishnykfan wrote:

I'm missing your argument completely tbh...the way the game has been for the first two years, there was no ability to keep a draft pick from UFA after four years. If you argue that the first year is a "wasted" year which others did as well because the sim doesn't hold rookies in high regard, then the extension proposal is only helping your ability to keep that draft pick to the point of paying off.

Why won't you be able to extend?

Well no one is gonna pay Cam Reddish 100+ second year of his contract so you wont extend and this becomes completely meaningless instead of inviting people to invest in such players

+1 year in 2023 for a 23 year old Cam Reddish not gonna make any difference lol

bishnykfan

Post#71 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:44 pm

El Poochio wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

NBA salary cap 2018- $101,869,000
#5 pick in the draft rookie contract IRL 2018- $3,841,000

This is approximately 3.77% of the IRL cap.

BaF salary cap $1010
3.77% of $1010 = $39
Trae Young (#5 pick in draft) salary- $39/year (rounded up)

That is how salary draft spots were figured out. The salaries that you are paying are exactly what they IRL NBA teams are paying their draft picks proportional to our salary cap.
All-Time Draft

bishnykfan

Post#72 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:47 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

You dont have to pay them 10 million if u dont want to. The only reason u would do that is to get them at a HUGE discount in years 5-7. There is no way some of these studs would sign for $10 mil in there extension years when they would probably get close to $20mil or more.

Two things...there is a hard cap here which makes extending draft picks next to impossible under that model. Secondly, IRL, the player has to wait until his rookie contract is up in order to get that extension money. Here, they get a raise immediately. More money for the player sooner, a little less later. The team is buying out the first 1-3 years of their free agency by paying them up front immediately.
All-Time Draft

El Poochio

Post#73 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:48 pm

Context wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

I agree with him- 1 year is not enough time to make such a franchising decision on a lottery pick...a lot of these guys take 3 years to find themselves -much less a year...

I guess instead of evaluating how a player's NBA performance get reflected in sim and in relation how your team performs before investing in further you can blindly trust sim

Context
RealGM

Post#74 » by Context » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:48 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

BaF salary cap $1010
3.77% of $1010 = $39

That is how salary draft spots were figured out. The salaries that you are paying are exactly what they IRL NBA teams are paying their draft picks proportional to our salary cap.

so bish- the cap hit for this years #1 draft pick is $67? just want to be clear
LaMelo/J-Green
S.Barnes/JMAC
Herbert-J/Kyle
JarenJjr/Portis
B.Lopez/Duren
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#75 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:48 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

Two things...there is a hard cap here which makes extending draft picks next to impossible under that model. Secondly, IRL, the player has to wait until his rookie contract is up in order to get that extension money. Here, they get a raise immediately. More money for the player sooner, a little less later. The team is buying out the first 1-3 years of their free agency by paying them up front immediately.

But for a late first or a second rounder why would the resign at such a meaningless amount, they would likely bet on themselves and go to free agency.

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

bishnykfan

Post#76 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:49 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

And that's why I dont agree with this model. Some studs are gonna be taking major discounts having to resign at $17 as opposed to $100+

That is the idea behind rewarding a team that drafts well and manages their cap well. Give them a chance to keep their player, see their investment pay off. As it is now, teams have no ability to keep that player that blows up without destroying their salary cap. IRL, a team can simply go over the cap to resign him.
All-Time Draft

bishnykfan

Post#77 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:50 pm

Context wrote:
Context wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:
Draft Slot Salary

1 3/67 $201 total
2 3/60 $180 total
3 3/54 $162 total
4 3/48 $144 total
5 3/44 $132 total
6 3/40 $120 total
7 3/36 $108 total
8 3/33 $99 total
9 3/30 $90 total
10 3/29 $87 total
11 3/27 $81 total
12 3/26 $78 total
13 3/25 $75 total
14 3/23 $69 total
15 3/22 $66 total
16 3/21 $63 total
17 3/20 $60 total
18 3/19 $57 total
19 3/18 $54 total
20 3/17 $51 total
21 3/17 $51 total
22 3/16 $48 total
23 3/15 $45 total
24 3/15 $45 total
25 3/14 $42 total
26 3/14 $42 total
27 3/13 $39 total
28 3/13 $39 total
29 3/13 $39 total
30 3/13 $39 total

31 2/12 $24 total
32 2/12 $24 total
33 2/12 $24 total
34 2/11 $22 total
35 2/11 $22 total
36 2/11 $22 total
37 2/10 $20 total
38 2/10 $20 total
39 2/10 $20 total
40 2/9 $18 total
41 2/9 $18 total
42 2/9 $18 total
43 2/8 $16 total
44 2/8 $16 total
45 2/8 $16 total
46 2/7 $14 total
47 2/7 $14 total
48 2/7 $14 total
49 2/6 $12 total
50 2/6 $12 total
51 2/5 $10 total
52 2/5 $10 total
53 2/4 $8 total
54 2/4 $8 total
55 2/3 $6 total
56 2/3 $6 total
57 2/2 $4 total
58 2/2 $4 total
59 2/1 $2 total
60 2/1 $2 total

#1 pick is $67 a year for 3 years ($201 total value of contract before deciding on the fourth year option).

but the cap hit is $67?

Yes, $67 per year.
All-Time Draft

El Poochio

Post#78 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:50 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

BaF salary cap $1010
3.77% of $1010 = $39

I am saying you are drafting non ready player to keep for 7 years and he gets paid %90 more of that amount how is that same?

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#79 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:51 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

That is the idea behind rewarding a team that drafts well and manages their cap well. Give them a chance to keep their player, see their investment pay off. As it is now, teams have no ability to keep that player that blows up without destroying their salary cap. IRL, a team can simply go over the cap to resign him.

But how is that in the players interest it seems like we are only taking into account the GMs interest

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#80 » by King of Canada » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:52 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

1. Draft better, and 2) He was already making only $8
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:

Return to New York Knicks