ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Presidential Election Thread presents: The Aftermath

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,463
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: 2020 Presidential Election Thread presents: The Aftermath 

Post#61 » by BKlutch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:28 am

Oscirus wrote:So bernie wants to be sec of labor which Id imagine that the senate would allow just to get him out of their hair, i guess warren wants treasury but im not sure she'll get that, and pete wants to be the un ambassador.

Onto other news. Even though I dont believe this, current explanation for trump firings
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pentagon-purge-reportedly-attempt-194755505.html

I can see Bernie wanting that position, but he might have a lot less power than he has now to push through some of his agenda.

Elizabeth Warren will do well wherever she is.

Mayor Pete, centrist, has a great way of relating to voters. Although being an Ambassador would be prestigious, how would that lead to his running for higher office as a senator or representative in the future? The guy certainly can express himself clearly and we need elected officials who can do that, but he may not be in tune with the future of the party ideologically.

Unrelated, but Jon Ossoff runing for Senate in GA speaks clearly and effecitvely like Mayor Pete. Here's hoping he can beat the criminal Purdue.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,483

Post#62 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:33 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think he was the lead on Obama's Ebola task force. Should indicate a big effort coming to deal with the pandemic
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#63 » by Oscirus » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 am

BKlutch wrote:
Oscirus wrote:So bernie wants to be sec of labor which Id imagine that the senate would allow just to get him out of their hair, i guess warren wants treasury but im not sure she'll get that, and pete wants to be the un ambassador.

Onto other news. Even though I dont believe this, current explanation for trump firings
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pentagon-purge-reportedly-attempt-194755505.html

I can see Bernie wanting that position, but he might have a lot less power than he has now to push through some of his agenda.

Elizabeth Warren will do well wherever she is.

Mayor Pete, centrist, has a great way of relating to voters. Although being an Ambassador would be prestigious, how would that lead to his running for higher office as a senator or representative in the future? The guy certainly can express himself clearly and we need elected officials who can do that, but he may not be in tune with the future of the party ideologically.

Unrelated, but Jon Ossoff runing for Senate in GA speaks clearly and effecitvely like Mayor Pete. Here's hoping he can beat the criminal Purdue.

I believe pete wants the foreign experience and thats an easy way of picking it up.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,856

Post#64 » by DOT » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:39 am

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Post#65 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,370

Post#66 » by aq_ua » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:45 am

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#67 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:08 am

Time to recede from the onion!
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#68 » by BKlutch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 am

This is from The NY Times. So it’s kind of like what the Lincoln Project would have done, but just a bit more understanding. I love it. It’s about Trump conceding.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000007440367/trump-concede-speech.html?referringSource=articleShare

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#69 » by KnicksGod » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:46 am

Biden won Arizona.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,659

Post#70 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:46 am

aq_ua wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

LOL, it wouldn't survive 1 year. That and other southern states live off the nipple of the federal government.
Free Palestine
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#71 » by BKlutch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:48 am

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

He, himself, is welcome to leave. I’d love to see a follow up in 2 years that reveals which gutter this man will call his home.

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,887

Post#72 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:49 am

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

it might be time

im happy to support their BBQ based economy and visit every couple years
meanwhile Ill stick to the blue states where we have little things like the stock exchange and silicon valley

i really would be fine with the south succeeding away
then they cant blame us for their miserable failures
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#73 » by BKlutch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:50 am

KnicksGod wrote:Biden won Arizona.

Marc Albert voice: Yessssssss

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#74 » by KnicksGod » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:56 am

Trump hereby claims Mississippi.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#75 » by BKlutch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 am

KnicksGod wrote:Trump hereby claims Mississippi.

Can Biden order him to stay there?

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,658

Post#76 » by j4remi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:01 am

GONYK wrote:
I feel like we're having 2 different conversations, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

Does this new congressional makeup limit Biden's ability to do the ambitious changes we were hoping for? Without a doubt. Voting Rights Act, court realignment, Obamacare expansion, etc... probably all DOA in the form we hoped.

Is it objectively a bad position to be in control of the WH and Congress? No.

I think to judge the position they're in objectively, you have to provide more context.

First you've baked in an assumption on the run offs or have the polls pushed us beyond needing to win those? Even then the "control" part only goes as far as conservative Dems in swing districts believe they can afford it to go (this guy is gearing up to play tie breaker before Harris even has a say: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/13/schumer-supreme-court-fight-centrist-democrats-716654). If they try to bring back respect for the blue slips and filibuster, they're disarming themselves even more. So control is relative to how they wield the power in the first place and that's before we get into potential interference with legislation by the Judicial Branch.

Let's add their future outlook electorally. Down ballot, the momentum of the 2018 blue wave didn't continue for more swing state results. They lost multiple seats in the House. They got bodied in state legislatures for swing seats. This at a time when the combination of a conservative judiciary and state legislature means bad news for redistricting fights.

Yes, they might gain control of Congress and they have the WH. When you put it that way, they're in a fantastic position. But the broader context is that the Dems aren't having a bunch of in-fighting because they just landed in a good position. They're reacting to a let down.

Put it this way. The Knicks have a 25 year old; 20 and 10 player who shoots 46% from the field and is 25 years old. Objectively, that's a damned good basketball player. I don't even have to say his name and everyone on that reads that will roll their eyes because they know the broader context as Knicks fans though.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#77 » by knickabocker88 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 am

He keeps this charade up, the R's will lose both GA runoffs. You know what if those 2 crooks distance themselves from trump, they'll lose. Probably effed either way.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,518

Post#78 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:11 am

j4remi wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I feel like we're having 2 different conversations, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

Does this new congressional makeup limit Biden's ability to do the ambitious changes we were hoping for? Without a doubt. Voting Rights Act, court realignment, Obamacare expansion, etc... probably all DOA in the form we hoped.

I think to judge the position they're in objectively, you have to provide more context.

First you've baked in an assumption on the run offs or have the polls pushed us beyond needing to win those? Even then the "control" part only goes as far as conservative Dems in swing districts believe they can afford it to go (this guy is gearing up to play tie breaker before Harris even has a say: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/13/schumer-supreme-court-fight-centrist-democrats-716654). If they try to bring back respect for the blue slips and filibuster, they're disarming themselves even more. So control is relative to how they wield the power in the first place and that's before we get into potential interference with legislation by the Judicial Branch.

Let's add their future outlook electorally. Down ballot, the momentum of the 2018 blue wave didn't continue for more swing state results. They lost multiple seats in the House. They got bodied in state legislatures for swing seats. This at a time when the combination of a conservative judiciary and state legislature means bad news for redistricting fights.

Yes, they might gain control of Congress and they have the WH. When you put it that way, they're in a fantastic position. But the broader context is that the Dems aren't having a bunch of in-fighting because they just landed in a good position. They're reacting to a let down.

Put it this way. The Knicks have a 25 year old; 20 and 10 player who shoots 46% from the field and is 25 years old. Objectively, that's a damned good basketball player. I don't even have to say his name and everyone on that reads that will roll their eyes because they know the broader context as Knicks fans though.

If Julius Randle had the intangible value of the Presidency, we'd be thinking differently :lol:

I don't think we're disagreeing, if the conversation is where we are vs. where we want to be.

I'm speaking to where we are vs. where we were in the past and could have been after this election.

I refuse to treat this election as a net negative. I think it is an expensive win that now requires dealing with more challenges to capitalize on.

It's like a Chris Paul trade
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,658

Post#79 » by j4remi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Do you believe the average voter has any grasp of the executive actions taken by any president? I don't particularly. Political heads know, but it doesn't seem Trump's executive actions ever made it to the front pages or became a campaign topic. And I kind of doubt Biden's EA's will either.

I don't know how active he will be in using them, but for things like environmental protections being restored I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't quite active.

I honestly think that if the average voter knew how much the president can accomplish via executive order their expectations would be a lot higher :lol: . I didn't know much either until the American Prospect's whole Day One Agenda package and my mind was pretty blown at how much legal precedent there is. I can't praise that package of articles enough fam!

I hope the environmental protections get reinstated quickly. I'd also point out that I'm completely grossed out at some of the food inspection maneuvering that Trump did and would like to see a chunk of that reversed. He'd also do well to reinstate catch and release as promised.

That stuff would be moving back to what we already had though. No gains there and the years of backward movement mean we'd have ground to make up (there were reductions in all the legal forms of immigration too and the environmental setbacks are rough). I think the two most obvious places that he can go above and beyond using our current conditions are reducing drug prices and forgiving student debt (David Dayen has written on both for how they'd work and he talked about it a bit on the Majority Report recently during a long form interview).

They're floating Janet Yellen for Treasury...I'd be hopeful on that note too.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#80 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:19 am

j4remi wrote:
GONYK wrote:

TBH, the best hope for the down ticket in future cycles is winning both GA seats and passing impactful legislation that gives a tangible benefit to voters on the fence. I know everyone wants to dissect the party right now and replace key people for obvious reasons, but even the leftists running in 2022 and 2024 will benefit from unified control and a string of successes for Biden's adminstration.

Return to New York Knicks