ImageImageImageImageImage

Thibs Got To Go

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Re: Thibs Got To Go 

Post#61 » by duetta » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:17 pm

In lieu of firing Thibs, I think that management needs to lean on him to play the guys most likely to contribute to wins - and in our instance, that's the young guys who play defense.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,074

Post#62 » by knicks94 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:04 pm

The Knicks should definitely consider giving each coach they hire a 2 year contract.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#63 » by DickGrayson » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:59 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:So getting bumped and dominated, out coached by Atlanta in the first round is considered "successful" now?
Making the playoffs is cool, but making the playoffs to not even being competitive is pointless.

Thibs isn't that guy, Monty Williams was the real coach of the year who was actually successful. Got Phoenix to the Finals when people wrote Phoenix off as a treadmill team with "empty stats" Booker.

Knicks were so bad against Atlanta, anything they accomplished in the regular season was pointless. Thibs was never successful here. Stole an award from Monty Williams, who's a superior coach that can win games while his superstars sit out because he actually knows how to use rotations against an opposition's defense.

Repeat after me:

Thibs was never successful in NY. A first round domination by Atlanta and 23 year old with a bald spot isn't success.
Thibs was never successful in NY. A first round domination by Atlanta and 23 year old with a bald spot isn't success.

Really?
Remove Chris Paul from that team and let's see how far Monty goes with that roster. That roster without CP3, is our roster last year.

Hell yeah, Thibs dserved it. But we kicked Payton out of town and the FO decided not to sign Reggie whom Thibs wanted back for obvious reasons.

Suns went 2-0 without Chris Paul in 20-21. That has nothing to do with Monty's job in Phoenix. Other coaches had Paul as their PG, but how many of them went to the Finals with Paul? You're on some non-sense. Paul spent 15 seasons in the NBA before making his FIRST NBA finals. Who was the coach that got him there? Monty. Repeat after me. MONTY WILLIAMS. Paul is great and always been a point god. But stop acting like Paul has a history of making it to the finals and winning championships. No one has got Paul closer to gold than Monty. Doc couldn't do it in LA and Paul went to multiple teams failing to achieve going this far. Thibs didnt' deserve it because Phoenix preform better overall as a TEAM than New York. Meaningless regular season games, yet why did Thibs go 1-4 in the playoffs?

Booker/Ayton/Bridges are all superior talents than our highest paid player in Randle. Everyone on the Phoenix Suns board would laugh at you hysterically acting like Knicks have an equal squad to the Suns. I'm an RJ stan, but Mikal Bridges is superior. If you rank players on the Suns roster vs New York, Suns have the superior talent and the superior coach, thus why they're achieving above expectations because no one had projected Phoenix in the finals last season.

Booker (top 3 SG in the NBA)
Paul (point god)
Bridges (legit a top 3 defender in the planet and shot 43% from 3PT, low usage but extremely efficient, high IQ.)
Ayton (defensive anchor of a top western conference team + 20 points a game and isn't soft like Randle)
Johnson (two way who shots 40+, plays within the offense, a coaches dream)

all superior to any starter the Knicks have last season and this season. If you pick Randle or Barrett over any of these guys then you're just clowning. I love RJ too and he had a great sophmore season, but Bridges/Johnson are too consistent of shooters and defenders. I believe RJ has a higher ceiling than them, but no one in Phoenix would trade Johnson or Bridges for RJ in straight up. You smoking some good weed if you think they would even consider. Phoenix board would laugh hysterically and post like yours make Knick fans look like unaware homers. Phoenix built their franchise the right way through smart draft picks and signing key-free agents. I wouldn't even take Randle over Dario Saric, who's way tougher than Julius and atleast tries to play defense.

Payton got nothing to do with this who rarely sees burn on Phoenix but Thibs plays him 30+ minutes and makes him a #3 option. That alone tells you why Monty is superior. Payton is in rightful place as a 4th string PG. Knicks lacked depth last season at PG, but theres a plhethra of point guards in free agency superior to Payton and Knicks settled for trash. Thibs playing Payton so much limited out potential and we could of won more games if Thibs wasn't so attached. Payton got exposed and your boy Bullock is shooting 35% FG and 33% 3pt getting no burn in Dallas. His defense been ass too. You make non-points and bringing Bullock up doesn't even help what you're trying to say.

Williams (45) actually got more first-place votes from media members than Thibodeau (43). Williams was the clear choice here because:

1. Monty's coaching in the bubble was godlike and he legit changed the narrative on the Suns within 13 games. The following season the Suns went to the NBA finals and gave the Bucks a great challenge.
2. Monty Williams won the real coach of the year award, voted on by other NBA coaches, so who really gives a what about what journalists think?
3. No one believes you. 99% of this forum would take Monty over Thibs any day. Monty is modern and Thibs is dated. Suns currently a top team in the West and Knicks are the bottom. Thibs season was a fluke because his success would of transitioned in the playoffs. Knicks went 1-4 and embarrassed by Atlanta. LMAO, I guaranteed I can look up your post and you'll be trashing Thibs for weak ass rotations. So entirely, you know Thibs is flawed and he was given the award out of pity because Knicks never win anything + NYC is a massive market compare to PHX so of course Thibs gets more exposure. It's like taking an ugly girl to the prom. Thibs get awarded for mediocrity where as Monty has solidified himself as a great coach.

BTW lets go over this list one more:
Booker
Paul
Ayton
Bridges
Johnson

All these guys were written off the NBA before Monty arrived to Phoenix.

Booker was called Empty Stats
Ayton was called a bust.
Bridges was traded for Zhaire Smith, do you even know who that is?
Cameron Johnson was selected 11th at age 23 and considered "limited" because of his age, but yet has surpassed expectations
Chris Paul spent 15 years in the NBA failing to the reach the finals.

Monty became coach and increased the stock of all these players.

It's not even close. Monty is an A level coach who's doing big things in Phoenix. Thibs is a C level coach who had a fluke season and it showed in the playoffs. The only argument you have is "playoffs don't matter in Coach of the Year awards" and "Thibs did more with less", which doesn't hold much weight, East is weak compared to the West and Thibs coaching a team out West wouldn't even win 30 games. Monty won 50+ games out West and took his team to the Finals.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#64 » by DickGrayson » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:05 pm

farkingidiot wrote:I NEVER post on RealGM, but the situation in NY not only caught my interest, but is fascinating in a "stop and watch the car accident" kinda way. I've been a 50 year lifelong Pacer's fan, but a fan of the NBA in general. The level of hard headed mismanagement by Thibs is pretty rare to watch.

I see nothing wrong with the Knicks roster. I think you guys have three exciting prospects in McBride, Grimes and Sims. Seriously. On other teams, these guys would have been already showing their stuff. Today's NBA is about threes and bouncy play and these guys have it. How crushingly frustrating it must be for them. I think even the most basic NBA fan can see giving these guys controlled minutes together to build a chemistry.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing Thibs repeatedly trying to pound a square peg into a round hole using a jackhammer with his ridiculously, hilariously outdated style of coaching.

Agreed 200%

Thibs is dated.

Knicks have enough talent to be competitive in the East and not tank. We do need a franchise player, I support RJ but he can't be the alpha of the team. However Thibs lack of accountability on Randle is just depressing. Watch any press conference with Thibs, he never holds Randle accountable and Randle even went on record saying "I play good defense". This is almost as toxic as the Isiah Thomas-Eddy Curry love affair. Knicks will waste seasons and the development of Toppin/McBride/Grimes/Sims.

even no one can understand that, then we can use Knick games for an example. You can see in it in the players demeanor basketball isn't fun or competitive. Most of the players look gloomy or sluggish. This is a trend amongst every team Thibs have coached. From Minnesota and even after Chicago 'peaked', they fell back to being a treadmill that was drained and injured.

Peace and hope Pacers build up a contender.
Appleshampoo
Starter
And1: 940

Post#65 » by Appleshampoo » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:31 pm

Check out the comment section of the Knicks instagram asking fans to vote Randle into the All-Star game. It should be obvious to Thibs and Randle by now, change your ways because you've lost the fanbase.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#66 » by Gravy » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Are people here saying Thibs should have played guys who are in covid protocols, how is that even possible?
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#67 » by camillepd » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Nope, Thibs gotta stay!!!
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,466

Post#68 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:44 pm

And yall wanted Thibs gone lmfao.. terrible ppl!!!
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 599

Post#69 » by Spot31 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:34 pm

Monty Williams is overrated. Tom Thibodeau will take us deep into the postseason.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,508

Post#70 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:11 pm

I wonder how old some of you posters are...heinous knee jerk thread
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
rayraypico
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#71 » by rayraypico » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:19 pm

Credit to Thibs he adjusted for Christmas...just dont have faith in him longterm to stay adjusted. Likely will go back to same vet bs
Visit my instagram for some stupid **** daily @R.U.Serious.Bro

Please see my Missing Persons Report - Looming for Leon Rose who is missing in action

Warning some insta posts are NSFW
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,422

Post#72 » by NYKat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:26 am

rayraypico wrote:Credit to Thibs he adjusted for Christmas...just dont have faith in him longterm to stay adjusted. Likely will go back to same vet bs

Same.

Thibs is good at culture building, but I still feel like his message will get stale in year 3 and his habit of running players into the ground will catch to him we’ll have to upgrade from him by the end of next season.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,422

Post#73 » by NYKat » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:28 am

I think Steve Clifford is underrated and I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten been talked about for head coaching positions
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#74 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:49 am

rayraypico wrote:Credit to Thibs he adjusted for Christmas...just dont have faith in him longterm to stay adjusted. Likely will go back to same vet bs

He adjusted???? How exactly?

He started Kemba, Fournier, RJ, Randle, Mitch

How exactly did he adjust? Bc he put Burks back on the bench? Obi played 14 minutes, if he didnt play Grimes 20+ minutes he'd bw thw dumbest coach of all time. He doesnt get credit or props for playing the same bum ass starters 30+ minutes a game.

Taj played 18 minutes and he's 100.

Thibs is a win by veterans coach by all means. Credit lol some of yall are wildin

Unless they're trying to increase trade value on some players (not likely) Fournier shouldn't be starting, damn sure shouldn't be playing 30+ minutes. He plays Kemba 40+ in a blowout great minutes maintainence.

Thibs act been tired for a minute now.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#75 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:52 am

BigShot Barrett wrote:I wonder how old some of you posters are...heinous knee jerk thread

Case in point, ridiculous statement... .

we beat a depleted hawks team at home woohoo let's start making parade arrangements.

Knee jerk reaction u serious my ****? We been complete ass all season long. Hes trotted out the same terrible starters all season long.

Knee jerk is your comment after a single home win on Christmas. You want a koolaid refill?
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,542

Post#76 » by WargamesX » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:11 am

We are a season to close to his COTY award for them to do something. The Knicks would have to go on the longest losing streak or Thibs would have to have loss the entire locker room for them to fire him.

Next season you’ll start to hear whispers about a coach who can maximize the roster talent and then they’ll strike. Thibs has a lot of rope to figure this out, it’s…. Sad…. That he can’t wrap his head around playing guys based on matchup and who is playing well. He took that approach last year (begrudgingly) and rode that to wins.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,508

Post#77 » by BigShot Bojan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:12 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
BigShot Barrett wrote:I wonder how old some of you posters are...heinous knee jerk thread

we beat a depleted hawks team at home woohoo let's start making parade arrangements.

Knee jerk reaction u serious my ****? We been complete ass all season long. Hes trotted out the same terrible starters all season long.

Knee jerk is your comment after a single home win on Christmas. You want a koolaid refill?
lol a whole season of COY or less than half a season with turnover at some integral position
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,933

Post#78 » by islanders11040 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:40 am

BigShot Barrett wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:

lol a whole season of COY or less than half a season with turnover at some integral position

We are 33 games in out of 82. Equivalent of being 3-4 in the NFL and we are already calling for his firing. Lol
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,557

Post#79 » by Zenzibar » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 am

DickGrayson wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:So getting bumped and dominated, out coached by Atlanta in the first round is considered "successful" now?
Making the playoffs is cool, but making the playoffs to not even being competitive is pointless.

Thibs isn't that guy, Monty Williams was the real coach of the year who was actually successful. Got Phoenix to the Finals when people wrote Phoenix off as a treadmill team with "empty stats" Booker.

Knicks were so bad against Atlanta, anything they accomplished in the regular season was pointless. Thibs was never successful here. Stole an award from Monty Williams, who's a superior coach that can win games while his superstars sit out because he actually knows how to use rotations against an opposition's defense.

Repeat after me:

Really?
Remove Chris Paul from that team and let's see how far Monty goes with that roster. That roster without CP3, is our roster last year.

Hell yeah, Thibs dserved it. But we kicked Payton out of town and the FO decided not to sign Reggie whom Thibs wanted back for obvious reasons.

Suns went 2-0 without Chris Paul in 20-21. That has nothing to do with Monty's job in Phoenix. Other coaches had Paul as their PG, but how many of them went to the Finals with Paul? You're on some non-sense. Paul spent 15 seasons in the NBA before making his FIRST NBA finals. Who was the coach that got him there? Monty. Repeat after me. MONTY WILLIAMS. Paul is great and always been a point god. But stop acting like Paul has a history of making it to the finals and winning championships. No one has got Paul closer to gold than Monty. Doc couldn't do it in LA and Paul went to multiple teams failing to achieve going this far. Thibs didnt' deserve it because Phoenix preform better overall as a TEAM than New York. Meaningless regular season games, yet why did Thibs go 1-4 in the playoffs?

Booker/Ayton/Bridges are all superior talents than our highest paid player in Randle. Everyone on the Phoenix Suns board would laugh at you hysterically acting like Knicks have an equal squad to the Suns. I'm an RJ stan, but Mikal Bridges is superior. If you rank players on the Suns roster vs New York, Suns have the superior talent and the superior coach, thus why they're achieving above expectations because no one had projected Phoenix in the finals last season.

Booker (top 3 SG in the NBA)
Paul (point god)
Bridges (legit a top 3 defender in the planet and shot 43% from 3PT, low usage but extremely efficient, high IQ.)
Ayton (defensive anchor of a top western conference team + 20 points a game and isn't soft like Randle)
Johnson (two way who shots 40+, plays within the offense, a coaches dream)

all superior to any starter the Knicks have last season and this season. If you pick Randle or Barrett over any of these guys then you're just clowning. I love RJ too and he had a great sophmore season, but Bridges/Johnson are too consistent of shooters and defenders. I believe RJ has a higher ceiling than them, but no one in Phoenix would trade Johnson or Bridges for RJ in straight up. You smoking some good weed if you think they would even consider. Phoenix board would laugh hysterically and post like yours make Knick fans look like unaware homers. Phoenix built their franchise the right way through smart draft picks and signing key-free agents. I wouldn't even take Randle over Dario Saric, who's way tougher than Julius and atleast tries to play defense.

Payton got nothing to do with this who rarely sees burn on Phoenix but Thibs plays him 30+ minutes and makes him a #3 option. That alone tells you why Monty is superior. Payton is in rightful place as a 4th string PG. Knicks lacked depth last season at PG, but theres a plhethra of point guards in free agency superior to Payton and Knicks settled for trash. Thibs playing Payton so much limited out potential and we could of won more games if Thibs wasn't so attached. Payton got exposed and your boy Bullock is shooting 35% FG and 33% 3pt getting no burn in Dallas. His defense been ass too. You make non-points and bringing Bullock up doesn't even help what you're trying to say.

Williams (45) actually got more first-place votes from media members than Thibodeau (43). Williams was the clear choice here because:

1. Monty's coaching in the bubble was godlike and he legit changed the narrative on the Suns within 13 games. The following season the Suns went to the NBA finals and gave the Bucks a great challenge.
2. Monty Williams won the real coach of the year award, voted on by other NBA coaches, so who really gives a what about what journalists think?
3. No one believes you. 99% of this forum would take Monty over Thibs any day. Monty is modern and Thibs is dated. Suns currently a top team in the West and Knicks are the bottom. Thibs season was a fluke because his success would of transitioned in the playoffs. Knicks went 1-4 and embarrassed by Atlanta. LMAO, I guaranteed I can look up your post and you'll be trashing Thibs for weak ass rotations. So entirely, you know Thibs is flawed and he was given the award out of pity because Knicks never win anything + NYC is a massive market compare to PHX so of course Thibs gets more exposure. It's like taking an ugly girl to the prom. Thibs get awarded for mediocrity where as Monty has solidified himself as a great coach.

BTW lets go over this list one more:
Booker
Paul
Ayton
Bridges
Johnson

All these guys were written off the NBA before Monty arrived to Phoenix.

Booker was called Empty Stats
Ayton was called a bust.
Bridges was traded for Zhaire Smith, do you even know who that is?
Cameron Johnson was selected 11th at age 23 and considered "limited" because of his age, but yet has surpassed expectations
Chris Paul spent 15 years in the NBA failing to the reach the finals.

Monty became coach and increased the stock of all these players.

It's not even close. Monty is an A level coach who's doing big things in Phoenix. Thibs is a C level coach who had a fluke season and it showed in the playoffs. The only argument you have is "playoffs don't matter in Coach of the Year awards" and "Thibs did more with less", which doesn't hold much weight, East is weak compared to the West and Thibs coaching a team out West wouldn't even win 30 games. Monty won 50+ games out West and took his team to the Finals.

Since his days here, Monty Williams has always been solid with me. He was Mikal Bridges type player then, with a little DeMar short game. When tragedy struck him, I couldn't help but question life once again since he is a devout man is deserves good things to happen instead.
So when they rolled over everyone and went to the Finals I though it cool, even if I rooted for the Bucks.

When Monty took over the Suns he took a veteran and ready team to 10th in the WC. Then they added Chris Paul and reached the Finals.
What I was saying before your long ass post, albeit interesting, was that Thibs did more in his 1st year with less as you put it.

When you add a Chris Paul, who btw took bum-ass OKC to 5th in the WC in 2019-2020, you added an all-time great. Let's not gloss over that fact.

But I do agree with you, I stand corrected as a matter fact, the Suns ARE a better team, even without Paul.

Which, to my point makes what THibs accomplished last year deserving the accolades.
Stop All Genocides
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#80 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:49 am

BigShot Barrett wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:

So you telling me nobody can see the fall before the crash? Its been happening. If hes lucky the kids will save this season for him bc trotting out these tired ass starters ain't it.

Return to New York Knicks