ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread 2: The Electric Draftaloo

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

What Should We Do?

Draft Barrett
73%
Draft Someone Else
9%
Trade the Pick
17%

Total votes: 172

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,372

Re: Draft Thread 2: The Electric Draftaloo 

Post#81 » by SelbyCobra » Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:All i know is during last year’s draft, all I heard from many of y’all was “next year’s draft is gonna be lit af. Wings galore. Mad swingmen to choose from!”

Fast forward to now and y’all are saying this is a weak 1-man draft with the best player being a PF and not even a wing. Everyone likes the PF and either of the two best PG’s (Morant and Garland) and y’all are super meh about the wings.

:lol:

Zion has, in a sense, really warped people's perception of the draft. He's REALLY good and then there are a bunch of players who either are or could be pretty good.

But I'm not saying everything. **** having the 13th pick. **** try hards.

The downside to trading down is the added layer of having to isolate the right selection at that lower pick, which by nature means going against the grain because if there was a consensus he would have been gone before getting TO the lower pick.

I know you're not arguing against this, I'm just adding to your point that drafting an impact player outside of the top tier isn't just a matter of getting a lower pick - there's so much that goes into getting that guy at a later point in the draft, from scouting, to luck, to years of development after the pick.

There's a reason that teams have to add in so much when trying to move up. On the very basic, Captain Obvious level there's simply much higher reliability of getting it right as you pick from the top tier.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 24,029

Post#82 » by Fat » Fri May 24, 2019 9:38 pm

K-DOT wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Of course they have a chance, but I'm arguing it's not that much better of a chance than the 4 or 5 guys slotted after them as y'all are saying

I think RJ has the best chance to be an all star of anyone outside of Zion, but he's very high risk

I'm not arguing to take 8 and 10, if we were talking 6 and 8 that's a different story, I just think after Zion the top 8 are all pretty much on the same level, and there's very little to differentiate between RJ/Ja and the other 5 or so guys

It's like, would you rather take Brandon Ingram 2nd in 2016 or trade down and get Jamal Murray?

Ingram was the much flashier name coming out, but they're pretty much on the same level as prospects

i say this show me who is going to be the jamal murrary of this draft at 8/10 that is on the same level as Rj or morant. At the end of the day Jamal still was ballin out and wasnt underwhelming or a disappointing prospect. by the time we reach 8 were looking at prospects like hachimuras, doumboya, little, hayes, clarkes etc etc and im taking RJ / Morant over any of these without think twice. maybe a culver or cam falls to 8?

if your the knicks do you even want to play this game of trading down and crossing your fingers what you got turned out better than than the #3 pick or do you just take BPA at 3 and cross your fingers that guy lives up to the hype

That's literally what I'm saying though

I wouldn't trade it for 8 and 10, I wasn't even talking about that to begin with

I'm saying both RJ and Ja are too flawed for me to say this is a 3 man draft

oh i see what your saying. i mean those 3 stood out and dominated while most in this draft especially the freshman were disappointing and did pretty much nothing. culver/Hunter had good years not sure if they have better upsides than zion, morant or RJ.

so even if they are viewed as to flawed of players who else was so impressive to say its not a 3 man draft? These 3 showed the most star potential out of everyone else.

i get what your saying though you think their to flawed to have that leverage of it being considered a 3 man draft. i guess it just comes down to how high you value the player.
This is the Hill we die on
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,921

Post#83 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Is it safe to say that anyone other than RJ or Morant is gonna get booed on draft night?

I'm obviously not supporting this, but I can't see these dumb fans cheer for any other prospect.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,389

Post#84 » by F N 11 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 pm

sol537 wrote:#3 + #55 to ATL for #8 + #10 + #35

3 swings of the bat instead of, essentially, one... Maybe we can find our own Kawhi or Greek Freak...

The way y’all talk about trading down is as if we are a good team already lol. Take RJ or Ja and stop this nonsense.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,389

Post#85 » by F N 11 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 pm

2010 wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

I said this last week. Not only Knox, but RJ makes us hate Frank less too. Cuz considering Frank can't dribble a basketball or get into the paint, RJ could function as another ballhandler and penetrator who frees up Frank to a pot up on the wing. Provided Frank can learn how to shoot a basketball, as well.

RJ can’t do the breaking down and Frank can make a play with an already scrambled defense. RJ makes too much sense.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,925

Post#86 » by DOT » Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:
i say this show me who is going to be the jamal murrary of this draft at 8/10 that is on the same level as Rj or morant. At the end of the day Jamal still was ballin out and wasnt underwhelming or a disappointing prospect. by the time we reach 8 were looking at prospects like hachimuras, doumboya, little, hayes, clarkes etc etc and im taking RJ / Morant over any of these without think twice. maybe a culver or cam falls to 8?

if your the knicks do you even want to play this game of trading down and crossing your fingers what you got turned out better than than the #3 pick or do you just take BPA at 3 and cross your fingers that guy lives up to the hype

That's literally what I'm saying though

I wouldn't trade it for 8 and 10, I wasn't even talking about that to begin with

oh i see what your saying. i mean those 3 stood out and dominated while most in this draft especially the freshman were disappointing and did pretty much nothing. culver/Hunter had good years not sure if they have better upsides than zion, morant or RJ.

so even if they are viewed as to flawed of players who else was so impressive to say its not a 3 man draft? These 3 showed the most star potential out of everyone else.

i get what your saying though you think their to flawed to have that leverage of it being considered a 3 man draft. i guess it just comes down to how high you value the player.

They did (or at least to me, RJ did), but not enough for me to say it's a 3 man draft, or even 2 between Zion and RJ
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#87 » by taj2133 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,525

Post#88 » by GONYK » Fri May 24, 2019 10:05 pm

K-DOT wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:
K-DOT wrote:That's literally what I'm saying though

They did (or at least to me, RJ did), but not enough for me to say it's a 3 man draft, or even 2 between Zion and RJ
Fat
RealGM

Post#89 » by Fat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:All i know is during last year’s draft, all I heard from many of y’all was “next year’s draft is gonna be lit af. Wings galore. Mad swingmen to choose from!”

Fast forward to now and y’all are saying this is a weak 1-man draft with the best player being a PF and not even a wing. Everyone likes the PF and either of the two best PG’s (Morant and Garland) and y’all are super meh about the wings.

:lol:

Zion has, in a sense, really warped people's perception of the draft. He's REALLY good and then there are a bunch of players who either are or could be pretty good. The fact that last year's draft was likely one of the best of all time doesn't help either.

But I'm not saying anything. **** having the 13th pick. **** try hards.

now that zion wont be a knick

This bum has no translatable NBA skills outside of defending and rebounding, teams will leave this fool wide open to shoot 3's he's going to build new orleans a second stadium. Being the heaviest on the court with all that athletic ability wont save him in the NBA either, he's going from college star to dejaun blair the pelicans gonna lose their best player and lose the draft. New orleans really gonna be sipping lean after they witness this epic fail
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#90 » by malik959 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 pm

HEZI wrote:The closest comp I got for Culver is Kerry Kittles

Not identical but very similar

No Danny Green is the closest player to Kerry Kittles. Kittles was a speedster that you had to constantly chase and would kill you with a three if you could not keep up. He's the definition of 3&d along with Doug Cristy. the type of player we can only wish Frank would become. Culver is more of a Bravo male, never will be an Alfa, because he can actually control pace and be your go to player when you need points. Kittles was never that guy.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#91 » by Thugger HBC » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm

I'm still on team "trade the pick."
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,521

Post#92 » by aggo » Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 pm

Why the **** are people saying to trade down.

This is not the nfl where you’re making a 53 man roster and 22 guys are starters

Look at the draft every year. Vast majority of these guys, no matter where they are drafted, never become starters.

Walk up there and pick the best guy on your board. Picks 5-15 is full of retards that flame out every single year.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,355

Post#93 » by Worst_to_First » Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Brandon Clarke is someone I’m interested in. I love the transferability of his skills to the NBA. We can’t take him at 3, but if we’re not sold on RJ, trading back and adding another asset while snatching him up, might be an intriguing option.

Looks like a good player but bigs with short wingspans concern me.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#94 » by stuporman » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Capn'O wrote:It all starts and ends with Tacko

If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Fat
RealGM

Post#95 » by Fat » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 pm

AggO wrote:Why the **** are people saying to trade down.

This is not the nfl where you’re making a 53 man roster and 22 guys are starters

Look at the draft every year. Vast majority of these guys, no matter where they are drafted, never become starters.

Walk up there and pick the best guy on your board. Picks 5-15 is full of retards that flame out every single year.

Drafting is all about luck to me. You can be the best scout in the world and be dead wrong, im taking BPA regardless but BPA doesn't always work out.

i think last years draft is one of those rare drafts where all the top picks looked good and the draft worked out for everyone fairly well. It doesnt always go down like that though
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#96 » by malik959 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:

I've been skeptical about two players in this draft all year (Zion and Morant). Morant to me falls in that Lonzo Ball category in a sense that outside of pushing the ball up the court and catching alleys what skills does he really posses? At lease Ball is starting to hold his own on defense but that shot is just dead. But his defense is horrible, his jump shot is horrible, he has no midrange game, and the kid weighs 175 wet and can barely lift 150?

Zion will have to play against Draymond Green, Giannis, Anthony Davis, Aaron Gordan, Vonley, Al-Farouq Aminu, Pascal Siakam, Tobias Harris, P.J Tucker, Wilson Chandler, John Collins, Morris twins, Paul Millsap, Blake, and Thaddeus Young on a regular basis. All of them are taller (outside of Green) or can force him to defend them outside the key which he has issues with and N.O isn't the best shooting team to relieve him on the doubles. Outside of loving his athleticism when we was in the running for Zion I really didn't see anything that screams great talent and I've always felt that RJ was the true #1 because of the different skills that he ha
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,903

Post#97 » by HEZI » Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 pm

malik959 wrote:
HEZI wrote:The closest comp I got for Culver is Kerry Kittles

Not identical but very similar

No Danny Green is the closest player to Kerry Kittles. Kittles was a speedster that you had to constantly chase and would kill you with a three if you could not keep up. He's the definition of 3&d along with Doug Cristy. the type of player we can only wish Frank would become. Culver is more of a Bravo male, never will be an Alfa, because he can actually control pace and be your go to player when you need points. Kittles was never that guy.

I think Kittles was way more talented than Green. As a slasher and as a playmaker
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,525

Post#98 » by GONYK » Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm

stuporman wrote:The first player in ncaa history to have 850 points, 250 rebounds, 150 assists and 50 made 3s in a single season...... the first player ever as a reclassified freshman that should have been a HS senior this year. Not first freshman to do it..... the first of any ncaa player ever.

...but da wiggle. :lol:

Although, I think this draft is deeper than "the 3 player" cap some are trying to put on it, there's going to be some real good players all throughout the lottery, first round and even into the second round.

To be fair there always is but fans usually tend to focus on the perceived franchise changers before the draft and it's only after awhile down the road do we recognize there were other gems.

Look at the Knicks last draft, Knox showed some potential aside from his epic inefficiency but Mitch was an absolute steal in the second round and undrafted Trier had similar numbers to someone named all-rookie.

Some other notable numbers:

Read on Twitter
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#99 » by Worst_to_First » Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Is it safe to say that anyone other than RJ or Morant is gonna get booed on draft night?

I'm obviously not supporting this, but I can't see these dumb fans cheer for any other prospect.

If we are trading down it would be better for the kid we are getting if we select RJ or Ja first to be the ones who will wear the Knicks cap, get on the stage and shake hands with the commissioner.

Unless you guys think it is good luck for the kid to get booed by the fans on draft night.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#100 » by Worst_to_First » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
god shammgod wrote:jarrett culver is a souped up frank

Yeah I’m not a big RJ fan but I would take him over Culver

In a scenario wherein we stay true to a proper rebuild path, our starting lineup would be:

Mitch
Knox
RJ
Dotson
DSJ

This will be a good running team but Knox and Dot better be hitting outside shots at a very good clip or this will be painful to watch.

Although if this nets us a Top 5 pick in a more spread out 2020 draft them am all in for it.

Return to New York Knicks