ImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,525

Re: Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year 

Post#81 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Gravy wrote:They'll probably bring back Payton, Bullock and Taj. If the kids cant outplay those guys AGAIN then they should follow Trier out the door.

Though I could be wrong, I cannot see what justification there would be for Payton to return.

Taj is actually the right kind of veteran mentor to have around. Bullock could have something to contribute off the bench.

If we have any competent analytics in the new FO, Payton should be shown the door (Randle too)

Read on Twitter
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Re: Ian Begly- “ I think you’re gonna see a heavy veteran presence on the Knicks next year 

Post#82 » by Gravy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:45 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Gravy wrote:They'll probably bring back Payton, Bullock and Taj. If the kids cant outplay those guys AGAIN then they should follow Trier out the door.

Though I could be wrong, I cannot see what justification there would be for Payton to return.

Taj is actually the right kind of veteran mentor to have around. Bullock could have something to contribute off the bench.

If we draft a pg they'll want a veteran pg around as a mentor. Payton is already here and familiar with the team so it would be easy to stay put with him.

If we draft at a different position then they may sign a pg and still have Payton backup. I dont know if they trust DSJ or Frank enough with that responsibility.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#83 » by Gravy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

If we have any competent analytics in the new FO, Payton should be shown the door (Randle too)

Read on Twitter

It depends, who do we replace Payton with? The problem isnt necessarily Payton, its the guys we drafted and traded for are not as good as him so he gets more minutes than he should. Same with Jack, Mudiay, Burke.. any bum vet we sign will end up playing more than DSJ and Frank if they continue to not be good.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#84 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Gravy wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Read on Twitter

It depends, who do we replace Payton with? The problem isnt necessarily Payton, its the guys we drafted and traded for are not as good as him so he gets more minutes than he should. Same with Jack, Mudiay, Burke.. any bum vet we sign will end up playing more than DSJ and Frank if they continue to not be good.

Either sign someone you are committed to (like a Van Vleet) or don't sign anyone.

Payton isn't a player who will lead to wins or be worth building around, so he shouldn't have been on the roster to begin with.

If we draft LaMelo or another PG, that answers the question as well.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,387

Post#85 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:50 pm

I knew it was going to be bad but damn. We failed at the big play and instead of saving cap or taking on deals for picks we did large 1 year deals with guys that did not fit the young guys at all. This is why all the kids deserve a pass tbh, even DSJ. Shoot even I know Randle at the 5 off the bench is how it should be done. Hopefully we have eyes on the right guys in the draft and FA.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,163

Post#86 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Payton is the guy I want the least back out of all the vets. He's a guy that just pounds the ball, keeps it out of RJ's hands, and can't play off ball. He really doesn't bring anything to the table for a young guard to learn either. Let's not have our young guard only pass to Randle. Bring back Bullock, Portis, and Taj just cuz they all can shoot.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
F N 11
RealGM

Post#87 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 pm

GONYK wrote:
Gravy wrote:
GONYK wrote:If we have any competent analytics in the new FO, Payton should be shown the door (Randle too)

Read on Twitter

Either sign someone you are committed to (like a Van Vleet) or don't sign anyone.

Payton isn't a player who will lead to wins or be worth building around, so he shouldn't have been on the roster to begin with.

If we draft LaMelo or another PG, that answers the question as well.

agree with the sign someone you are committed to. Let them know they are here for the long term with the kids, we can go over the cap to keep our own. Van Vleet is actually ideal bc he is a vet that doesnt need the ball. for ex Lamelo can play the 1 with Vleet at the 2 vice versa. He is an elite catch and shoot guy. We need a stretch 4, not sure there even though I like Bertans.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#88 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Payton is the guy I want the least back out of all the vets. He's a guy that just pounds the ball, keeps it out of RJ's hands, and can't play off ball. He really doesn't bring anything to the table for a young guard to learn either. Let's not have our young guard only pass to Randle. Bring back Bullock, Portis, and Taj just cuz they all can shoot.

:nonono:
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#89 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:56 pm

GONYK wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:Payton is the guy I want the least back out of all the vets. He's a guy that just pounds the ball, keeps it out of RJ's hands, and can't play off ball. He really doesn't bring anything to the table for a young guard to learn either. Let's not have our young guard only pass to Randle. Bring back Bullock, Portis, and Taj just cuz they all can shoot.

hate all you want but he was pretty good playing next to mitch after the new year
F N 11
RealGM

Post#90 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 pm

GONYK wrote:

Its Portis or Randle, cant have both. Portis started off slow but did his thing given the circumstances. His defense sucks but he can shoot the ball. Not saying I want him back just saying. He low key went tf off second half of season because Miller knew he had to play with Mitch.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#91 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 pm

F N 11 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Its Portis or Randle, cant have both. Portis started off slow but did his thing given the circumstances. His defense sucks but he can shoot the ball. Not saying I want him back just saying. He low key went tf off second half of season because Miller knew he had to play with Mitch.

Fair enough, much rather keep Portis than Randle, he fits way better with Mitch than Randle does.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#92 » by robillionaire » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Portis can shoot at least, he’s a better fit, but he’s still not that good, tries to do too much, selfish with the ball. And overpaid. If he would just stand at the perimeter and shoot he’d be a serviceable stretch 4 but I think we could find better out there
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#93 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:34 pm

robillionaire wrote:Portis can shoot at least, he’s a better fit, but he’s still not that good, tries to do too much, selfish with the ball. And overpaid. If he would just stand at the perimeter and shoot he’d be a serviceable stretch 4 but I think we could find better out there

Correct. I don't see it as either Portis or Randle. I see it as a get rid of them both and reinvest in the position, if possible.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,487

Post#94 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:40 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Read on Twitter

Well damn, drive the stake into their heart why don't you?

Really need to see both of them off this squad. I'd rather watch Roger "Brick" Mason than those two
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,062

Post#95 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Gravy wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

If we draft a pg they'll want a veteran pg around as a mentor. Payton is already here and familiar with the team so it would be easy to stay put with him.

If we draft at a different position then they may sign a pg and still have Payton backup. I dont know if they trust DSJ or Frank enough with that responsibility.

We can also get better PG in Free Agency or trade to be our Rookie PG tutor like Fred, Dragic, CP3 or Conley. Especially if our new PG has size to mark SGs like Ball, Hayes or Haliburton. I like Payton, but he is not a good fit to us.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,487

Post#96 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 pm

and speaking of driving stakes into the heart of bad notions .....

It doesn't really matter what any of us think of Melo, but why on earth would anybody here delude themselves into thinking Leon Rose would kick off his residency at MSG by bringing back Melo? That would be the most perverse way of NOT distinguishing yourself as the new front office.

You think Rose would want his own Melo era so it can be compared to the previous Melo era?

It is completely illogical to expect Rose would welcome any such comparisons. He's the new DJ and he is not going to play the vinyl from your crate.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#97 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm

I cant stand Payton or Randle. Both are CAA clients tho and the FO might be preferential towards them

I would definitely waive Payton (or trade his non-gtd contract if another team is interested) and try to trade Randle. RJ and Mitch need to be surrounded by shooters
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#98 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 pm

F N 11 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I actually kinda like Portis, not at 15M but if they could bring him back reasonably priced, I'd be for it.

I also think he was kinda miscast this past season. He played a majority of his minutes at the 4, and IMO he should be the backup C; not mobile enough to guard the perimeter (tho admittedly he's a poor defender no matter what position). W/ the Wizards, Portis played 77% of his minutes at C, a role he was pretty effective in
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#99 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:20 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
GONYK wrote: :nonono:

I actually kinda like Portis, not at 15M but if they could bring him back reasonably priced, I'd be for it.

I also think he was kinda miscast this past season. He played a majority of his minutes at the 4, and IMO he should be the backup C; not mobile enough to guard the perimeter (tho admittedly he's a poor defender no matter what position). W/ the Wizards, Portis played 77% of his minutes at C, a role he was pretty effective in

The whole justification for keeping him around is that he can play next to Mitch. He can't do that as a 5.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#100 » by knickstape4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:32 pm

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Its Portis or Randle, cant have both. Portis started off slow but did his thing given the circumstances. His defense sucks but he can shoot the ball. Not saying I want him back just saying. He low key went tf off second half of season because Miller knew he had to play with Mitch.

The whole justification for keeping him around is that he can play next to Mitch. He can't do that as a 5.

he doesn't have to exclusively play next to Mitch tho. he can also be used more at C when Mitch is on the bench, something he didn't do much of last season, but excelled at with WAS. we need floor spacers in general, so its not a bad idea to bring him back. I personally like him better tho as a backup C b/c defensively he's not nimble enough to guard the perimeter (tho w/ Mitch it does get masked)

Return to New York Knicks