ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason!

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,229

Re: Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason! 

Post#861 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Capn'O wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:We should keep a keen eye on what Miami does with Duncan Robinson.

We need a top notch scouting/development department like the Miami Heat. I mean, every year we're always trying to steal young talents from other teams cause we can't develop our own or find steals. Sigh. Maybe with Walt Perrin here we start to see some changes

Seriously. I mean, a lot of teams could have but we could have Popped the Kork last summer and we needed him more than most. 4/12 mil likely would have gotten it done considering what he went for. Korkmaz next to Frank and Barrett could make a lot of sense.

But Riles is magic. Always was. He can smell a guy that will work harder than others from miles away and pounces. Back to when he grabbed Anthony Mason from the scrap heap for the Knicks.

Yeah Korkmaz makes tons of sense here and he's only 22. But Portis and Payton were more important lol. There's always guys like Korkmaz available in free agency but the Knicks refuse to go after them. Hell, when Seth Curry was killing it in the summer league I said the Knicks should be going after him. But nope. We dont like young talent on rise. Lol

Knicks shouldve just gave Pat what he wanted. The winning culture that Miami has is something I envy
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,063

Post#862 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:00 pm

boogeydown wrote:Would a combination of Julius Randle, Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith, 2020 first round pick and 2021 first round pick be enough to get Bradley Beal?

I often forgot. We cant deal 2 consequent future FRPs. Would we need to wait for the draft?
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#863 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
boogeydown wrote:Would a combination of Julius Randle, Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith, 2020 first round pick and 2021 first round pick be enough to get Bradley Beal?

Unprotected possibly. Protected, unlikely.

Forget Beal, Ingram should be the focus. Secondary focus should be bertans and Harris

Forget about Ingram. NOP will max him.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#864 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:At least they’d stretch the floor. Ibaka could play next to Mitch in theory and Gasol could be the backup C. Maybe they are serious about removing Randle from the equation? :dontknow:

Read on Twitter

This is such a Knicks move. Why not just draft the players and stink for one more year and get another high draft pick. Just once lets rebuild. I'm all for Ingram if he was available but its doubtful I would even consider Christian Wood. But older players at the end of there careers that are going to steal minutes from the kids developing are the last thing we need.

We need a couple of vets on the roster.

They are FA and I supposed not very expensive. Better option than bring back Taj.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#865 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:09 pm

dakomish23 wrote:At least they’d stretch the floor. Ibaka could play next to Mitch in theory and Gasol could be the backup C. Maybe they are serious about removing Randle from the equation? :dontknow:

Read on Twitter

I dont think we would sign both. Ibaka or Gasol.

It would be great signing for the Taj salary (10M).

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,638

Post#866 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Unprotected possibly. Protected, unlikely.

Forget Beal, Ingram should be the focus. Secondary focus should be bertans and Harris

Still doesn’t mean the Knicks shouldn’t test them. Throw the max at him and if the match fine. Normally there wouldn’t be the slightest chance, but this loss of revenue, you don’t know they might blink. The owner has two teams (Pel and Saints), in tough financial situations. Ingram isn’t even the draw for the Pels like Zion is, and if they don’t make the playoffs when the season restarts...... like I said you never know.

Grizzlies,Detroit, and Hawks have Max money too. I don’t know if they send him one due to salary fears as well.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#867 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:06 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

Still doesn’t mean the Knicks shouldn’t test them. Throw the max at him and if the match fine. Normally there wouldn’t be the slightest chance, but this loss of revenue, you don’t know they might blink. The owner has two teams (Pel and Saints), in tough financial situations. Ingram isn’t even the draw for the Pels like Zion is, and if they don’t make the playoffs when the season restarts...... like I said you never know.

Grizzlies,Detroit, and Hawks have Max money too. I don’t know if they send him one due to salary fears as well.

I dont like the timing. While we are waiting to see what NOP will do, we lose all the good targets.

If we really want him, we have to offer a sign and trade deal to the Pelicans (something like Indiana did it to get Brogdon).

Memphis dont have cap space in any scenario.

If the salary cap really drops, only Knicks, Pelicans and Hawks can max Ingram.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#868 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

I dont like the timing. While we are waiting to see what NOP will do, we lose all the good targets.

If we really want him, we have to offer a sign and trade deal to the Pelicans (something like Indiana did it to get Brogdon).

Memphis dont have cap space in any scenario.

If the salary cap really drops, only Knicks, Pelicans and Hawks can max Ingram.

Between us and the Hawks we would have the most assets for a sign and trade. That Mavs 2023 pick, is a easy add and some second rounder too. The beauty of S&T is you don’t have to equal the salary going out.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,566

Post#869 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:47 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:We should keep a keen eye on what Miami does with Duncan Robinson.

We need a top notch scouting/development department like the Miami Heat. I mean, every year we're always trying to steal young talents from other teams cause we can't develop our own or find steals. Sigh. Maybe with Walt Perrin here we start to see some changes

Miami has a great culture and until the Knicks change their culture it will be hard to get the young players to come in and play to their very best talents. That's why you see young players that get drafted by Miami or GSW or the Clippers or any other winning organization fit in the their role and play well from pretty much as soon as they get there.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,245

Post#870 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 am

bleedblue3303 wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is such a Knicks move. Why not just draft the players and stink for one more year and get another high draft pick. Just once lets rebuild. I'm all for Ingram if he was available but its doubtful I would even consider Christian Wood. But older players at the end of there careers that are going to steal minutes from the kids developing are the last thing we need.

I agree on everything you said. I don’t know what to make of this tweet I saw so I threw out the positives I saw. I’d prefer we let the kids rock and take our lumps
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#871 » by moocow007 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 am

WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

The knicks can't offer him as much as NO can so if Ingram does sign an offer sheet with the Knicks, the Pelicans would most definitely match cause they'd be saving money. The only way to get Ingram is to trade for him in a sign and trade. That may not be a bad idea.

Trade for Ingram. Sign Wood. Get CP3. Pair them with Robinson and Barrett. That's a pretty potent starting 5. Let CP3 get the young guys focused on and off the court. CP3 would also counter balance Thibs offensive gaps should they sign Thibs as head coach.
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#872 » by WargamesX » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:00 am

moocow007 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

The knicks can't offer him as much as NO can so if Ingram does sign an offer sheet with the Knicks, the Pelicans would most definitely match cause they'd be saving money. The only way to get Ingram is to trade for him in a sign and trade. That may not be a bad idea.

Trade for Ingram. Sign Wood. Get CP3. Pair them with Robinson and Barrett. That's a pretty potent starting 5. Let CP3 get the young guys focused on and off the court. CP3 would also counter balance Thibs offensive gaps should they sign Thibs as head coach.

Prior to COVID 19 I would have said the Pelican match any offer. That there was no chance they don’t match. Now with teams losing 40% of revenue due to no fan attendance, there is a legit minuscule chance they don’t match due to not wanting to take on that salary. Should the Knicks take that quark size chance that they don’t match? YES, because money wise the Pels might blink, and Ingram wants to get paid.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#873 » by -YogiBiz- » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:17 pm

What would a S&T for Ingram look like?
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,438

Post#874 » by Ray Williams » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Richard4444 wrote:

I often forgot. We cant deal 2 consequent future FRPs. Would we need to wait for the draft?

You have to have a draft pick every other year, since we have multiple picks we can trade consecutive year draft picks as long as we are left with at least one every other year, I don’t believe they necessarily have to be our own
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#875 » by WargamesX » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:What would a S&T for Ingram look like?

Probably just the Mavs 2023 pick and that might be too much.

S&T don’t really help anyone in this situation. If the Knicks were above the cap then yes it makes sense, because then the Knicks would have to unload salary to take on Ingram’s new contract. They are not going to be over the cap so all the knicks have to do is make the offer, and the Pelicans have to decide to match. If anything the offer would have to include poison pills like a no trade clause and a extreme trade kick back (25%)to get Pelicans to not take it up. Another trick could be to agree to pay Ingram in balloon upfront payments. That would put the Pelicans on the hook for his whole salary for four years straight.

The only scenario this makes sense for a S&T is if the Knicks poison pill the contract and the Pelicans let the Knicks know they are 50/50 on keeping Ingram still and need some “compensation” to make up their mind to let him go. In which case a 2023 Mavs first rounder is fair. Something similar happened with Malcolm Brogdon his pick was lottery protected until 2025. Mav pick is top 10 protected only.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#876 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

You have to have a draft pick every other year, since we have multiple picks we can trade consecutive year draft picks as long as we are left with at least one every other year, I don’t believe they necessarily have to be our own

Yes you are right I forgot we can count on LAC and Dallas picks.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#877 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:15 pm

WargamesX wrote:

S&T don’t really help anyone in this situation. If the Knicks were above the cap then yes it makes sense, because then the Knicks would have to unload salary to take on Ingram’s new contract. They are not going to be over the cap so all the knicks have to do is make the offer, and the Pelicans have to decide to match. If anything the offer would have to include poison pills like a no trade clause and a extreme trade kick back (25%)to get Pelicans to not take it up. Another trick could be to agree to pay Ingram in balloon upfront payments. That would put the Pelicans on the hook for his whole salary for four years straight.

The only scenario this makes sense for a S&T is if the Knicks poison pill the contract and the Pelicans let the Knicks know they are 50/50 on keeping Ingram still and need some “compensation” to make up their mind to let him go. In which case a 2023 Mavs first rounder is fair. Something similar happened with Malcolm Brogdon his pick was lottery protected until 2025. Mav pick is top 10 protected only.

It makes sense.

1) Pelicans cant let Ingram go for free. Pelicans have refused to deal Ingram in the regular season. They knew they would have to max Ingram. Maybe, Pelicans are having second thoughts about the deal because the likely salary cap drop. Sign and trade would be a way they can savage the situation.
But I still think Pelicans are 100% into max Ingram. They are a small market team and they would not lose the opportunity to land a young and likely healthy all star for 4/5 years.

2) It makes sense to the Knicks. They will likely lose the bid war for Ingram. Pelicans can offer a bigger contract and can match any offer. By waiting the offer sheet to be matched, the Knicks will likely lose time to sign all the other good FAs that will sign elsewhere. We will be end up with 30 Milions to spend and no good players left on the market.

Last year I dont recall a RFA player that trade teams without a sign and trade deal (Brogdon and DLo).

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#878 » by WargamesX » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

It makes sense.

1) Pelicans cant let Ingram go for free. Pelicans have refused to deal Ingram in the regular season. They knew they would have to max Ingram. Maybe, Pelicans are having second thoughts about the deal because the likely salary cap drop. Sign and trade would be a way they can savage the situation.
But I still think Pelicans are 100% into max Ingram. They are a small market team and they would not lose the opportunity to land a young and likely healthy all star for 4/5 years.

2) It makes sense to the Knicks. They will likely lose the bid war for Ingram. Pelicans can offer a bigger contract and can match any offer. By waiting the offer sheet to be matched, the Knicks will likely lose time to sign all the other good FAs that will sign elsewhere. We will be end up with 30 Milions to spend and no good players left on the market.

Last year I dont recall a RFA player that trade teams without a sign and trade deal (Brogdon and DLo).

I agree the odds of them letting Ingram go is extremely low, I used the terms minuscule and quark for a reason. In fact to avoid poison deals I expect them to sign him to a 5 year max (or real close) during the upcoming window for deals to be completed. If they don’t the knicks should send him a poison pill contract and force the Pelicans to make a tough decision. Front loaded, balloon payments could legitimately scare them off.

Also you are right to have them make a decision. A weaker 1st round pick would be worth just getting the deal done. It’s really would be paying them for the convenience of deciding quickly.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#879 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:01 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Probably just the Mavs 2023 pick and that might be too much.

It makes sense.

I agree the odds of them letting Ingram go is extremely low, I used the terms minuscule and quark for a reason. In fact to avoid poison deals I expect them to sign him to a 5 year max (or real close) during the upcoming window for deals to be completed. If they don’t the knicks should send him a poison pill contract and force the Pelicans to make a tough decision. Front loaded, balloon payments could legitimately scare them off.

Also you are right to have them make a decision. A weaker 1st round pick would be worth just getting the deal done. It’s really would be paying them for the convenience of deciding quickly.

I dont think we can poison pill a max FA.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager

Post#880 » by WargamesX » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
It makes sense.

I dont think we can poison pill a max FA.

Yeah you can, trade kickers for 20% so if they try to trade Ingram they have to pay him a bonus, front load the contract so it’s more expensive early, add a requirement that you pay them their annual salary on one payment instead of weekly. Those are the types a thing a team worried about a loss of revenue might balk at.

Return to New York Knicks