ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1721 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:42 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:That's pretty amazing.

Not nearly as amazing as it will be if this things actually works.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,154

Post#1722 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 pm

For all the sci-fi fans, just wanted to recommend a book series called Three Body Problem. It was translated from Chinese (all the rage here actually) and the translation won the Hugo Award. Anyway, the series starts up slow but really ramps up. Some physics/math stuff in the book, but I think you're going to see a new generation of Chinese physicists arise just from the popularity of this book.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#1723 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 pm

BKlutch wrote:

I hope it does and bust physics wide open. Scientists can be as stubborn as religious people when it comes to having their beliefs broken down. We'll have probes all over the galaxy in short order, hopefully.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1724 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:42 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

I hope it does and bust physics wide open. Scientists can be as stubborn as religious people when it comes to having their beliefs broken down. We'll have probes all over the galaxy in short order, hopefully.

If... then YES. But it's a rather big IF, so I'm going to get my hopes up about the Knicks for now.

But if this thing pans out, I'll start planning to watch NBA games on another planet.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1725 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Fifteen years ago this morning, I was standing near the West Side Highway, between the World Trade Center and the World Financial Center. Then the whole world went crazy as, less than 1200 feet away, the tallest building I'd ever seen started collapsing. I ran and somehow escaped serious injury, finally being rescued by boat to New Jersey shortly before that toxic cloud completely choked off my lungs.

I'd just like to remember all of those who weren't as lucky that day, and share some loving thoughts for the families of those who didn't make it. Also, I'd like to thank the millions of New Yorkers and people all over the world who have expressed their support and shown their kindness over the years for all of us who were involved on that day.

This morning, the sky is not quite as clear as in 2001. The humidity is much higher, and it feels a lot hotter. But it feels so damm much better to breathe the air today, and I'm a lot happier to be sitting here writing on this board than going through what I did back then.

If God can hear this and wants to intervene, ending the hate and the evil that exists in too many people would seem to be a good place to start, and now would seem to be a good time, too.

CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#1726 » by CJackson » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:06 pm

BKlutch wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Not nearly as amazing as it will be if this things actually works.

If... then YES. But it's a rather big IF, so I'm going to get my hopes up about the Knicks for now.

But if this thing pans out, I'll start planning to watch NBA games on another planet.

I thought you already were on another planet. My bad
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1727 » by magnumt » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:03 pm

BKlutch wrote:Fifteen years ago this morning, I was standing near the West Side Highway, between the World Trade Center and the World Financial Center. Then the whole world went crazy as, less than 1200 feet away, the tallest building I'd ever seen started collapsing. I ran and somehow escaped serious injury, finally being rescued by boat to New Jersey shortly before that toxic cloud completely choked off my lungs.

I'd just like to remember all of those who weren't as lucky that day, and share some loving thoughts for the families of those who didn't make it. Also, I'd like to thank the millions of New Yorkers and people all over the world who have expressed their support and shown their kindness over the years for all of us who were involved on that day.

This morning, the sky is not quite as clear as in 2001. The humidity is much higher, and it feels a lot hotter. But it feels so damm much better to breathe the air today, and I'm a lot happier to be sitting here writing on this board than going through what I did back then.

If God can hear this and wants to intervene, ending the hate and the evil that exists in too many people would seem to be a good place to start, and now would seem to be a good time, too.

My College was near there. We were in class when the 1st reports came in, and because of the huge glass wall windows in the hallways & staircases... you could see all the smoke being blown your way as we made our way out the building.

No cells worked so you couldn't reach anyone. I ended up walking all the way from the LES to the UWS.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#1728 » by TheBigBoss » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:44 pm

BKlutch wrote:Fifteen years ago this morning, I was standing near the West Side Highway, between the World Trade Center and the World Financial Center. Then the whole world went crazy as, less than 1200 feet away, the tallest building I'd ever seen started collapsing. I ran and somehow escaped serious injury, finally being rescued by boat to New Jersey shortly before that toxic cloud completely choked off my lungs.

You are so lucky that none of that stuff got into your lungs. My uncle who was in the area got that stuff in his lungs and his health slowly declined until he died last year as a result of it. My aunt had to watch him suffer for almost 15 years. Prior to that he was a very active health nut kind of guy. That is why we should count our blessings for what we have instead of focusing on what we dont because what we have can be taken from us at any time.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#1729 » by TheBigBoss » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:46 pm

BKlutch wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Not nearly as amazing as it will be if this things actually works.

I dont know what will disappoint me most, this expieriment being a bust or the Knicks season being a bust. I guess at the end of the day we still have our pick so we can hang our hopes on that, but if this technology doesn't work, then we are back to square one. :(
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1730 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:47 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:

You are so lucky that none of that stuff got into your lungs. My uncle who was in the area got that stuff in his lungs and his health slowly declined until he died last year as a result of it. My aunt had to watch him suffer for almost 15 years. Prior to that he was a very active health nut kind of guy. That is why we should count our blessings for what we have instead of focusing on what we don't because what we have can be taken from us at any time.

I was coughing up white dust for 6 months, but it seemed to be all gone after that. I was only there until mid day - it felt like years, but it was only a few hours. Others spend days or weeks or months there, and it was far worse. My lungs have seemed ok since then. But who knows - maybe that's why i got beaten out by Fat Felton for the PG slot on the Knicks!

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1731 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

I dont know what will disappoint me most, this expieriment being a bust or the Knicks season being a bust. I guess at the end of the day we still have our pick so we can hang our hopes on that, but if this technology doesn't work, then we are back to square one. :(

They're both pretty important to me, so I can't really decide which one right now would disappoint me. I guess it's like this:
For the future of the world and humanity, the em drive is slightly more important than the Knicks.
As to which one has a better chance of happening, us going a couple of rounds in the playoffs is more likely than the em drive working.

Pretty tough call. Go to the video!

spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1732 » by spaceballer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:20 pm

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#1733 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 am

Because they're essentially putting blood in them. "Heme" is a derivative of hemoglobin. They're trying to market it in a way that doesn't mention this. In a couple more generations, eating natural food will be the exception, not the norm. It is scary.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1734 » by spaceballer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:18 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:

Because they're essentially putting blood in them. "Heme" is a derivative of hemoglobin. They're trying to market it in a way that doesn't mention this. In a couple more generations, eating natural food will be the exception, not the norm. It is scary.

The version they're using is leghemoglobin from plants.

And it's not scary, but a good thing. Better use of natural resources, since creating artificial meat and meat substitutes from plant sources is usually a more efficient use of natural resources and with a lower (though not non-existent) environmental impact than raising cattle. But there's as long way to go before we get there.

It's interesting that they are not solely marketing this product towards vegetarians, even though the product itself is vegetarian. But they're focusing on people who eat meat and foodies with this new veggie meat substitute that bleeds.

It seems their goal in high end restaurants is not marketing it as a meat substitute, but as a superior version of a meat burger based on taste, since they are able to fiddle with and control the concentration of the various parts (fat, protein, etc.) with the goal of engineering a superior "meat" taste than real meat, but using plant ingredients.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1735 » by magnumt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:35 pm

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/new-dwarf-planet-points-planet-nine

New icy world with 20,000-year orbit could point to Planet Nine

By Adam MannOct. 17, 2016 , 10:00 PM
PASADENA, CALIFORNIA—The solar system has gained a new extreme object: L91, a small, icy world with one of the longest known orbits, taking more than 20,000 years to go around the sun. Researchers have yet to pin down the object’s size or mass, but they can add it to the growing list of frozen bodies circling well beyond Neptune in strange orbits that imply gravitational disruptions from outside the sun and the known giant planets. In the case of L91, some astronomers say that external disrupter could be a ninth giant planet, as yet undiscovered. However, L91’s discovery team favors a scenario in which the disturbance is more mundane: a passing star, or the Milky Way’s gravity.

“It’s right at the limit of what we can detect,” said astrophysicist Michele Bannister of Queen’s University Belfast, who described the result today at the American Astronomical Society’s Division for Planetary Science meeting here.

L91 never comes closer to the sun than 50 astronomical units (AU), or 50 times the Earth-sun distance. From there, it slowly crawls all the way out to 1430 AU. This means it has a more elongated orbit than Sedna, another distant Pluto-sized object, whose closest approach is 76 AU and whose estimated far point reaches 937 AU. L91 was found using the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope at Mauna Kea in Hawaii, as part of the Outer Solar System Origins Survey.

Read the full story at the link above.

--Mags

magnumt6
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1736 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 pm

I've gotta start reading this thread again. I used to love this.

Anyways, I figured this question boarders both science and philosophy and is one of my favorite questions to ask:

What do you think is scarier - us being alone in the universe or not not being alone? (Shout out to Arthur Clarke.)
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1737 » by magnumt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:I've gotta start reading this thread again. I used to love this.

Anyways, I figured this question boarders both science and philosophy and is one of my favorite questions to ask:

What do you think is scarier - us being alone in the universe or not not being alone? (Shout out to Arthur Clarke.)

Not alone. Once we hit space exploration levels, to go out there in the deep dark space and find nothing would likely devastate our civilization.

With that said, I'm fully sure we're NOT alone. Not in an UFO nutjob sort of way, but common sense.

I mean just on my link above your post alone, we're likely to discover DRAMATIC changes to what we thought of our OWB SOLAR SYSTEM in the next 10-15 years.

--Mags

magnumt6
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1738 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:23 pm

magnumt wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:I've gotta start reading this thread again. I used to love this.

Not alone. Once we hit space exploration levels, to go out there in the deep dark space and find nothing would likely devastate our civilization.

With that said, I'm fully sure we're NOT alone. Not in an UFO nutjob sort of way, but common sense.

I mean just on my link above your post alone, we're likely to discover DRAMATIC changes to what we thought of our OWB SOLAR SYSTEM in the next 10-15 years.

--Mags

Oh, I completely agree in thinking that we're not alone. Do you think that's scarier than being alone though? I think being alone in the universe is wayyyyyy scarier.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1739 » by magnumt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

Oh, I completely agree in thinking that we're not alone. Do you think that's scarier than being alone though? I think being alone in the universe is wayyyyyy scarier.

Didn't you ask the same thing? Being alone vs not not alone ;)

--Mags

magnumt6
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1740 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 am

magnumt wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

Didn't you ask the same thing? Being alone vs not not alone ;)

--Mags

I'm confused. :lol: Forgive me, it's been a long day.

Return to New York Knicks