ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, FrontOfficeEye, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Deeeez Knicks, Thugger HBC, Capn'O, K-DOT, j4remi, Thorn, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36

User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,754
And1: 9,498
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1881 » by j4remi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Random contribution to the philosophy side. I have some fun with this channel on youtube where these cats apply theory to pop culture (shows, movies, etc.). Just a fun time killer for me.





BAF Knicks
PG - Ntilikina/Payton/Taylor
SG - L Williams/Z. Smith/Brown
SF - Evans/MKG/Kilpatrick
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi

A. Johnson

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 27,200
And1: 4,870
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1882 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Those were good, remi. Only watched first 2 tho.

Another point to the PC one is that's what's great about little children. They are not taught or are aware of negative stereotypes or bigotry. That's why you'll see them play on the playground with another kid, regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. They just want to interact and have fun - which would be great if adults could do the same.
User avatar
Iron Mantis
RealGM
Posts: 11,885
And1: 3,148
Joined: Aug 12, 2006
   

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1883 » by Iron Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dna-gene-editing-20171025-story.html

This has the potential to be a true game changer. The ability to change codons in your genome could theoretically eradicate just about every cancer and hereditary disease.

The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.


That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

It's why we all still drive cars with combustion engines.

The elements who control the world's wealth run the show.
KnickFan33
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,445
And1: 588
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1884 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.


That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

It's why we all still drive cars with combustion engines.

The elements who control the world's wealth run the show.


Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.
KnickFan33
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,445
And1: 588
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1885 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm

j4remi wrote:Random contribution to the philosophy side. I have some fun with this channel on youtube where these cats apply theory to pop culture (shows, movies, etc.). Just a fun time killer for me.







My thoughts on the first 2 videos. Video 3 was just too long.

Video #1: I find being PC to be useless. I think stereotypes serve an evolutionary purpose, not to say all stereotypes are accurate. For example, if the stereotype of a neighborhood you're walking through is that it has a high crime rate, you're more likely to be paying attention to your surroundings. That (to me) is a purposeful defense mechanism. If you were to be more PC and call a bad neighborhood something else (impoverished?) doesn't change the situation at all. Moreover, it potentially diverts from main issue.

How stereotypes might be used to purposefully to demean and belittle is a problem. But I find that to have nothing to do with being PC. If using words in a degrading manner, it doesn't matter what words are used.

Video #2: Regarding religion... I take issue when it is pushed onto others, used in politics, and/or used to ignore evidence. Other than those situations, nothing really wrong with it. But is god necessary? I don't think so.

Just my 2 cents.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 804
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1886 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

It's why we all still drive cars with combustion engines.

The elements who control the world's wealth run the show.


Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.


Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 804
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1887 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 pm

There are trillionaires who make their money with oil. They're not trying to see electric cars flying through the air.
KnickFan33
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,445
And1: 588
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1888 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

It's why we all still drive cars with combustion engines.

The elements who control the world's wealth run the show.


Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.


Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.


I don't quite remember renewable energy or electric cars being a trend earlier in my lifetime. There have been prototypes I suppose, but trending towards their usage is a totally different story. And again I agree, corporate greed plays a role.

The true reason there hasn't been progress on cancer cures is because cancers aren't one size fit all. If you were to find a cure to one it doesn't at all guarantee a cure for another. Why? Because for each cancer there is a different mutation in different sequence in a different location on different chromosomes. Which is precisely why the news in the posted link is a potential game changer.
User avatar
TheBigBoss
RealGM
Posts: 10,260
And1: 3,588
Joined: Sep 02, 2002
         

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1889 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Does anyone else watch the Strange Mysteries channel on youtube?



KnickFan33
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,445
And1: 588
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1890 » by KnickFan33 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:17 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/20/trump-administration-to-decline-to-renew-dozens-of-scientists-for-key-epa-advisory-board/

What kind of nonsense is this? It’s like putting a flat earther in charge of NASA.

If you want to argue that too many regulations have a negative impact on business, I absolutely understand that. But that isn’t the EPA’s job at all.
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,352
And1: 1,454
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1891 » by NYKAL » Wed Nov 1, 2017 8:26 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.


Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.


I don't quite remember renewable energy or electric cars being a trend earlier in my lifetime. There have been prototypes I suppose, but trending towards their usage is a totally different story. And again I agree, corporate greed plays a role.

The true reason there hasn't been progress on cancer cures is because cancers aren't one size fit all. If you were to find a cure to one it doesn't at all guarantee a cure for another. Why? Because for each cancer there is a different mutation in different sequence in a different location on different chromosomes. Which is precisely why the news in the posted link is a potential game changer.



around the lat 90's earl 2000's they were being pushed. Worked with a few who had hybrids and new at least one other. There were tax breaks and other benefits but, then it seemed to die out.
User avatar
gavran
RealGM
Posts: 13,711
And1: 3,214
Joined: Nov 02, 2005
Location: crossing the line

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1892 » by gavran » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Uranus officially smells like ass.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-018-0432-1

Visible-to-near-infrared observations indicate that the cloud top of the main cloud deck on Uranus lies at a pressure level of between 1.2 bar and 3 bar. However, its composition has never been unambiguously identified, although it is widely assumed to be composed primarily of either ammonia or hydrogen sulfide (H2S) ice. Here, we present evidence of a clear detection of gaseous H2S above this cloud deck in the wavelength region 1.57–1.59 μm with a mole fraction of 0.4–0.8 ppm at the cloud top. Its detection constrains the deep bulk sulfur/nitrogen abundance to exceed unity (>4.4–5.0 times the solar value) in Uranus’s bulk atmosphere, and places a lower limit on the mole fraction of H2S below the observed cloud of (1.0−2.5)×10−5. The detection of gaseous H2S at these pressure levels adds to the weight of evidence that the principal constituent of 1.2–3-bar cloud is likely to be H2S ice.
User avatar
gavran
RealGM
Posts: 13,711
And1: 3,214
Joined: Nov 02, 2005
Location: crossing the line

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1893 » by gavran » Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Whenever you think you are having a sh*t day, remember, this guy had it worse:

Image

Officials at the Pompeii archaeological site have announced a dramatic new discovery, the skeleton of a man crushed by an enormous stone while trying to flee the explosion of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD.

Pompeii officials released a photograph showing the skeleton protruding from beneath a large block of stone that may have been part of a door frame that had been "violently thrown by the volcanic cloud".


https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20180529/world/new-skeleton-found-in-pompeii-excavation.680355https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20180529/world/new-skeleton-found-in-pompeii-excavation.680355
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,811
And1: 3,680
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1894 » by Are We Ther Yet » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am

KnickFan33 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.


Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.


I don't quite remember renewable energy or electric cars being a trend earlier in my lifetime. There have been prototypes I suppose, but trending towards their usage is a totally different story. And again I agree, corporate greed plays a role.

The true reason there hasn't been progress on cancer cures is because cancers aren't one size fit all. If you were to find a cure to one it doesn't at all guarantee a cure for another. Why? Because for each cancer there is a different mutation in different sequence in a different location on different chromosomes. Which is precisely why the news in the posted link is a potential game changer.


I remember some scandal about them reposessing everyone's electric cars and destroying them.
a knick fan forum. not a "argue ad nauseam about narratives and biases you hold like blood feuds that span decades" forum, you sentient buttplug. - Marty McFly :lol:
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,754
And1: 9,498
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1895 » by j4remi » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:29 pm

BAF Knicks
PG - Ntilikina/Payton/Taylor
SG - L Williams/Z. Smith/Brown
SF - Evans/MKG/Kilpatrick
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi

A. Johnson

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
gavran
RealGM
Posts: 13,711
And1: 3,214
Joined: Nov 02, 2005
Location: crossing the line

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1896 » by gavran » Thu Jun 7, 2018 6:53 pm

j4remi wrote:

Damn, some names I haven't heard in ages. Robert Bauval, Graham Hancock, I was eating their books until I was 22-23 years old.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,287
And1: 804
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1897 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jun 7, 2018 9:58 pm

We are closer to ancient Rome, than ancient Rome is to ancient Egypt.

There is no way we'll ever get an accurate picture of that era. But, westerners have written their books, and damn if anyone brings them some new light on the subject.
User avatar
hawkguy
Sophomore
Posts: 208
And1: 110
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
 

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1898 » by hawkguy » Fri Jun 8, 2018 2:15 am

Why Can't I Change
Passenger
Album: Runaway

Why can't I change after all these years?
Why can't I change my ways?
I find it so strange after all these years
I'm still more or less the same
User avatar
TheBigBoss
RealGM
Posts: 10,260
And1: 3,588
Joined: Sep 02, 2002
         

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1899 » by TheBigBoss » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 am

GENETICALLY MODIFIED MONKEYS MAY HELP SCIENTISTS UNDERSTAND BRAIN DISORDERS LIKE AUTISM

For human brain research, crab-eating macaques and marmosets are the animals of choice for many scientists. They are smaller and easier to take care of than chimps, yet their brains are much more similar to human brains than those of mice. That’s why geneticists are attempting to genetically engineer monkeys with symptoms of autism and schizophrenia to better understand those disorders.

According to The Atlantic, chair of neuroscience at MIT Guoping Feng has been studying genetically engineered mice with “knocked out,” or disabled genes that may, when mutated, cause autism. But it’s difficult to compare an autistic mouse with an autistic human, as the different species’ have different bodies, genes, and habits.

Instead, Feng is using the promising new gene-editing technology called CRISPR on primates. CRISPR is notoriously fast and easy to use, and can “cut and paste” whatever genes a scientist wants onto an embryo with precision.

http://www.newsweek.com/genetically-modified-monkeys-scientists-autism-969829


So it begins......

Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,754
And1: 9,498
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1900 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:32 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
GENETICALLY MODIFIED MONKEYS MAY HELP SCIENTISTS UNDERSTAND BRAIN DISORDERS LIKE AUTISM

For human brain research, crab-eating macaques and marmosets are the animals of choice for many scientists. They are smaller and easier to take care of than chimps, yet their brains are much more similar to human brains than those of mice. That’s why geneticists are attempting to genetically engineer monkeys with symptoms of autism and schizophrenia to better understand those disorders.

According to The Atlantic, chair of neuroscience at MIT Guoping Feng has been studying genetically engineered mice with “knocked out,” or disabled genes that may, when mutated, cause autism. But it’s difficult to compare an autistic mouse with an autistic human, as the different species’ have different bodies, genes, and habits.

Instead, Feng is using the promising new gene-editing technology called CRISPR on primates. CRISPR is notoriously fast and easy to use, and can “cut and paste” whatever genes a scientist wants onto an embryo with precision.

http://www.newsweek.com/genetically-modified-monkeys-scientists-autism-969829


So it begins......

Spoiler:
Image


I always feel weird reading about animal testing. Necessary in some cases? Yeah, I guess so...but it's so foul.
BAF Knicks
PG - Ntilikina/Payton/Taylor
SG - L Williams/Z. Smith/Brown
SF - Evans/MKG/Kilpatrick
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi

A. Johnson

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi

Return to New York Knicks