ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1981 » by KnickFan33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:51 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Define "blind faith".

For the sake of keeping things on point, I'm willing to let you make the definition so we can have a debate within that definition's parameters.

You keep using the expression, not me. So define it. I don't know what it means.

Cool. I'll define it as unquestioning devotion to something, regardless of what evidence to the contrary might be presented.

Some examples:
Fresh water and salt water don't mix.
Earth was formed in a day.
The savior was supposed to return 1975.
When we die, we get our own planet to rule over.

Does this definition suffice?
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#1982 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:26 am

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
For the sake of keeping things on point, I'm willing to let you make the definition so we can have a debate within that definition's parameters.

You keep using the expression, not me. So define it. I don't know what it means.

Cool. I'll define it as unquestioning devotion to something, regardless of what evidence to the contrary might be presented.

Some examples:
Earth was made in a day.

No.

"Unquestioning devotion" is just that: unquestioning devotion.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1983 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 am

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:You keep using the expression, not me. So define it. I don't know what it means.

Some examples:
Earth was made in a day.

No.

I gave you the opportunity to define the term for the discussion, and you ceded that task to me. When I do so, it's unacceptable. This obviously isn't going anywhere (though that was evident from the start). We'll agree to disagree.
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#1984 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 am

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

Some examples:
Earth was made in a day.

No.

I gave you the opportunity to define the term for the discussion, and you ceded that task to me. When I do so, it's unacceptable. This obviously isn't going anywhere (though that was evident from the start). We'll agree to disagree.

The "evidence" for putting faith in 3/4 of the things you mentioned are religious/philosophical and are subjective; if a person puts faith in those things, it's reasonable to conclude it's based on things they individually perceived as "evidence", whether through personal experience, knowledge, interpretation, or whatever. Not everyone turns to science as their exclusive guide to reality.

How do you know these types of things aren't questioned by believers and they are persuaded with convincing reasonings and proofs, which they choose to accept as evidence? Do you have the data to show that your idea of "blind faith", where no one asks questions, is a real thing, significant enough to garner its own definition?

The expression cannot be found in a dictionary, but faith can.

faith
[feyth]
noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:
the firm faith of the Pilgrims
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#1985 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:59 am

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

Some examples:
Earth was made in a day.

No.

Overall yes, I agree, this is going nowhere fast.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#1986 » by PeoplesChamp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:40 am

And religion remains undefeated!

Just kidding.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Post#1987 » by gavran » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:26 pm

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1988 » by King of Canada » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:38 pm

gavran wrote:https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/black-hole-picture-2019-live-stream-updates-as-event-horizon-telescope-collaboration-reveals-first-a4114176.html

I'm touching myself tonight...and you are too.

BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#1989 » by F N 11 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Definitely a believer in a mans philosophy makes him.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,241

Post#1990 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:49 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:And religion remains undefeated!

Just kidding.

Go NY Go NY Go
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,241

Post#1991 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:

Fascinating video. :o

Although his story was for illustrative purposes, I believe there are indeed higher forms of life & intelligence existing in a higher dimension that overlaps ours; we simply cannot readily access, or even point to it, to investigate it, much like Sagan explained.

It's presumptuous to claim everyone who's had experiences with the supernatural, whether of divine nature or of the malevolent sort, are all crazy. In fact, there are real estate laws in place to protect buyers from unwittingly purchasing haunted houses.

Nearly 1 in 5 americans claim they've seen the manifestation of a spirit. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/30/18-of-americans-say-theyve-seen-a-ghost/

Although I don't believe "ghosts" are actually dead people back alive in another form, it's interesting to consider another plane of existence within ours, and how life in it affects us.

That is a cool video.

I want to say from a scientific perspective, based on scientific rules, you can't make a scientific argument for something that's never been measured - that is, spirits, 4th dimensional intelligences, you name it.

If a 4th dimension exists, . . . interesting, but the scientist asks "how can we find it or test for it?"

Believing in what is unmeasurable is perfectly fine, but it's not science. Think of science as like a courtroom and a courtroom has rules and guidelines. You have to line-up your witnesses, you can't badger the witnesses. The lawyers can't make arguments, they can only ask questions. Science is like that. It's only about what can be observed, tested, demonstrated or modeled. Scientists have their hands tied when it comes to speculation, like lawyers have their hands tied with making arguments when a witness is on the stand.

Science is very cool, and it's lead to some amazing discoveries, but science isn't good at speculating on what hasn't been measured, which seems to be what you're doing, and again, that's perfectly fine, but it's not science to say there's a more intelligent 4th dimension out there. To the scientist, that's an unknown. You're arguing that something out there exists. The scientist can't make that argument, they can only make models for what might exist and design tests to measure it.

There were some models to explore extra dimensions at quantum levels at CERN, but those tests came up negative. The extra dimensions folded up so we can't see them model didn't work. The Higgs boson model did work. Scientists primarily have to work with what the evidence shows them, not what might be out there, which they can't see yet.

Lets say your 4th dimension proposal is accurate. The scientist would first need to identify said 4th dimension - and I'm not sure how they'd go about that. As Carl Sagan noted, we can look for curvature in space, and scientists have done that and found none, not on large scales. Obviously small scales, space is curved by gravity. But measures looking for a curved universe have so far come back negative. The universe appears flat. It might be so large that we can't measure the curvature, or, there may be no curvature. Scientists don't like to speculate, or, maybe they do on their own time, but they don't speculate in what they publish.

But OK, lets say they find a 4th dimension - step two would be communication, to see if there's anything like the apple looking to talk to us. For now, as I understand it, there's no looking for a 4th dimension because nobody knows how to do it. We can't, in 3 dimensions, point a device to the 4th dimension and start studying it.

As a sidebar, I have no problem believing in spirits. I've even heard the occasional spirit myself, here and there. Not very often, but more than once.

And, I hope what I said doesn't sound condescending. It's just that science has rules and requirements and speculation is generally not encouraged. Now, speculation in philosophy or general discussion - 100% OK. I by no means want to discourage what you believe. But when you tie it to science, it invites the inevitable response "but that's not science", and if that bothers you, think of science as like the a courtroom, and that there are restrictions in what can be said and who can speak in a court of law.

I also, love this video. I suggest people watch it.

https://www.ted.com/talks/carrie_poppy_a_scientific_approach_to_the_paranormal?language=en
Go NY Go NY Go
Iron Mantis
RealGM

Post#1992 » by Iron Mantis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:

Fascinating video. :o

Although his story was for illustrative purposes, I believe there are indeed higher forms of life & intelligence existing in a higher dimension that overlaps ours; we simply cannot readily access, or even point to it, to investigate it, much like Sagan explained.

It's presumptuous to claim everyone who's had experiences with the supernatural, whether of divine nature or of the malevolent sort, are all crazy. In fact, there are real estate laws in place to protect buyers from unwittingly purchasing haunted houses.

Nearly 1 in 5 americans claim they've seen the manifestation of a spirit. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/30/18-of-americans-say-theyve-seen-a-ghost/

Although I don't believe "ghosts" are actually dead people back alive in another form, it's interesting to consider another plane of existence within ours, and how life in it affects us.

That is a cool video.

I want to say from a scientific perspective, based on scientific rules, you can't make a scientific argument for something that's never been measured - that is, spirits, 4th dimensional intelligences, you name it.

If a 4th dimension exists, . . . interesting, but the scientist asks "how can we find it or test for it?"

Believing in what is unmeasurable is perfectly fine, but it's not science. Think of science as like a courtroom and a courtroom has rules and guidelines. You have to line-up your witnesses, you can't badger the witnesses. The lawyers can't make arguments, they can only ask questions. Science is like that. It's only about what can be observed, tested, demonstrated or modeled. Scientists have their hands tied when it comes to speculation, like lawyers have their hands tied with making arguments when a witness is on the stand.

Science is very cool, and it's lead to some amazing discoveries, but science isn't good at speculating on what hasn't been measured, which seems to be what you're doing, and again, that's perfectly fine, but it's not science to say there's a more intelligent 4th dimension out there. To the scientist, that's an unknown. You're arguing that something out there exists. The scientist can't make that argument, they can only make models for what might exist and design tests to measure it.

There were some models to explore extra dimensions at quantum levels at CERN, but those tests came up negative. The extra dimensions folded up so we can't see them model didn't work. The Higgs boson model did work. Scientists primarily have to work with what the evidence shows them, not what might be out there, which they can't see yet.

Lets say your 4th dimension proposal is accurate. The scientist would first need to identify said 4th dimension - and I'm not sure how they'd go about that. As Carl Sagan noted, we can look for curvature in space, and scientists have done that and found none, not on large scales. Obviously small scales, space is curved by gravity. But measures looking for a curved universe have so far come back negative. The universe appears flat. It might be so large that we can't measure the curvature, or, there may be no curvature. Scientists don't like to speculate, or, maybe they do on their own time, but they don't speculate in what they publish.

But OK, lets say they find a 4th dimension - step two would be communication, to see if there's anything like the apple looking to talk to us. For now, as I understand it, there's no looking for a 4th dimension because nobody knows how to do it. We can't, in 3 dimensions, point a device to the 4th dimension and start studying it.

As a sidebar, I have no problem believing in spirits. I've even heard the occasional spirit myself, here and there. Not very often, but more than once.

And, I hope what I said doesn't sound condescending. It's just that science has rules and requirements and speculation is generally not encouraged. Now, speculation in philosophy or general discussion - 100% OK. I by no means want to discourage what you believe. But when you tie it to science, it invites the inevitable response "but that's not science", and if that bothers you, think of science as like the a courtroom, and that there are restrictions in what can be said and who can speak in a court of law.

I also, love this video. I suggest people watch it.

https://www.ted.com/talks/carrie_poppy_a_scientific_approach_to_the_paranormal?language=en

Give it time. I think quantum mechanics(but that is science) will eventually provide scientific answers about other dimensions to satisfy the courtroom.

https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/hints-of-the-4th-dimension-have-been-detected-by-physicists

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25000

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25011
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1993 » by dakomish23 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:19 pm

I advise everyone remotely interested in tech to listen to this podcast. Talks about the documentary which was great.

One of tech sector's greatest flameouts. Spawned the ideas that created eBay & the iPod, Nest, etc. A lot of the smart phone infrastructure.

This was in the 90's.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/30/17628766/general-magic-smartphone-apple-iphone-documentary-sarah-kerruish-matt-maude-kara-swisher-podcast
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#1994 » by movingon » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Give it time. I think quantum mechanics(but that is science) will eventually provide scientific answers about other dimensions to satisfy the courtroom.
[/quote]

Quantum mechanics works just fine in 3 dimensions.
It's a quantum theory of gravity that seems to require solutions with higher dimensionality, typically "compact" (rolled-up).
This is string theory, and it's often criticized as being unverifiable.
At the moment the supporting argument for such a theory boils down to mathematical elegance.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1995 » by dakomish23 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:48 pm

If this was just about COVID I’d place it elsewhere, but this is straight bat **** crazy

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#1996 » by Barcs » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 pm

dakomish23 wrote:If this was just about COVID I’d place it elsewhere, but this is straight bat **** crazy

Read on Twitter

Republicans are pro life until the moment that baby is born. After that the kid is SCREWED. I can't imagine being born into such a **** up world as today. The age of hypocrisy, sedition and disinformation, the majority of which comes from the far right. Science denial and alt facts are embraced by these clowns and the funniest part is that most of them claim to be Christian.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to New York Knicks