ImageImageImageImageImage

Iman Shumpert vs Rookie Dwyane Wade

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Re: Iman Shumpert vs Rookie Dwyane Wade 

Post#21 » by Fury » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 am

Crazyknicks wrote:
Fury wrote:Apparently no one is allowed to make player comparisons ever. Only almost kinda good players but not stars ok!

The guy played like 4 games and he's being compared to one of the best guards in the nba, does that seem reasonable to you?

The rookie version of Wade who is kinda similar.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,352

Post#22 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 am

He's got more Wade in him than Hughes.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#23 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 am

Fury wrote:
Crazyknicks wrote:
Fury wrote:Apparently no one is allowed to make player comparisons ever. Only almost kinda good players but not stars ok!

The guy played like 4 games and he's being compared to one of the best guards in the nba, does that seem reasonable to you?

The thing is I have yet to read the person that says he'd going to be as good as Wade... everyone is just saying the playing style is similar to Wade.
dogrufus
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#24 » by dogrufus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 am

Crazyknicks wrote:

Here's what kills me about this mentality: I acknowledged in the damn post multiple times that I wasn't trying to say Shump was actually as good as Wade, and that I know he hasn't put in a sufficient sample size. And everyone immediately yells at me saying "HURRR YOU DOESNT HAVE A BIG ENOUGH SAMPLE SIZE."

I know. That's why we have forums where we discuss and speculate things based on limited available information. Posts like this don't add anything to that.
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#25 » by CrazyKnicks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:30 am

Fury wrote:
Crazyknicks wrote:

Numbers are similar no doubt but we need to wait fro him to play more games in order to make comparison. Anyone can have a good 4 game stretch. Not hating on Shump as I am a fan but feel that comparisons are a bit premature.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#26 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 am

dogrufus wrote:
Crazyknicks wrote:

Here's what kills me about this mentality: I acknowledged in the damn post multiple times that I wasn't trying to say Shump was actually as good as Wade, and that I know he hasn't put in a sufficient sample size. And everyone immediately yells at me saying "HURRR YOU DOESNT HAVE A BIG ENOUGH SAMPLE SIZE."

I know. That's why we have forums where we discuss and speculate things based on limited available information. Posts like this don't add anything to that.

That's the key right there rufus... don't trip I feel you.
Mr Knick
Banned User

Post#27 » by Mr Knick » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 am

Wow... people might want to slow there roll on Shumpert. Let's not jinx the kid.
dantian
Starter
And1: 27

Post#28 » by dantian » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 am

Sprewell, Stuckey would be better comparisons.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#29 » by Fury » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 am

After 4 games he can only be compared to Larry Hughes.
16 games he can be compared to Eddie Jones
By 32 games, he will can only be compared to Mitch Richmond.
At season's end, we'll take a step up to Wade rookie year maybe cause Wade is so good and he's apparently incomparable and like we can't do that unless Shumpert averages 25 7 and 7 even though Wade didn't in his rookie year but once Shumpert does everyone is gonna be like WOW NO ONE SAW THIS COMING WHEN IN FACT SOME PEOPLE DID SO WHAT THE ****
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#30 » by emo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:38 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Michael Jordan First Game: 16 points (5-16)
Marshon Brooks Second Game: 17 points (5-12)

Goat?

:o
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
dogrufus
Rookie

Post#31 » by dogrufus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:Plus comparing him to wade is just not a good thing.

I'm sorry sir, I'll be sure to get your written approval before comparing players on our team to other players in NBA history who have similar playing styles, similar physical traits, and thus far similar stats on the limited information available.

MaseInYourFace wrote:For one he hasn't really done enough to compare on,

Acknowledged multiple times in the OP.

MaseInYourFace wrote:two it invites trolls,

Yes, let's be afraid to discuss Knicks players on this Knicks forum that exists for Knicks fans to discuss the Knicks. Let's be afraid because of what other fans of other teams might say. Sounds legit to me.

MaseInYourFace wrote:three comparing a rookie barely starting his career to a future HOF'er is setting the guy up to be a disappointment.

It is? I was under the impression that Shumpert's play and career trajectory would not be affected by what I posted on RealGM.

MaseInYourFace wrote: The probability of him being just as good or better than wade are not very high.

And when did I say it was? Oh, that's right, I didn't. I simply said that thus far, Shumpert's stats (you know, hard facts) compare favorably to those of Wade in a rookie season where he was a year older, albeit in very limited sample size.

Everybody knows that the probability of him being as good as or better than Wade is not very high. But, if he was going to develop into a Wade-level talent, it's entirely reasonable that his first five games would look exactly as they have looked.

Good grief, I make a comparison of Shumpert and rookie Wade and everyone reads it as "Shumpert vs MVP CANDIDATE ALL NBA SUPERSTAR CHAMPION DWYAAAAAAAANE WAAAAADE". Wade was just another promising rookie when he was a rookie.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#32 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:47 am

OP, I get you bruh, it's just of late these boards been inundated with trolls and casual along for the ride types. These type of threads have a tendency to go down an ugly road. Excuse if I come off s bit jumpy or defensive. Mainly like another poster said I just think the comparison is a little early...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#33 » by CrazyKnicks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 am

dogrufus wrote:
Crazyknicks wrote:

So what is exactly your thread saying?
He has "similar" numbers to rookie Wade after 4 games? Ok what does that prove? What are you implying?

Again you're taking numbers from 4 games in comparison to a full season.

You say my post adds nothing but it's threads like yours that ruin the forums. Just like the Gallo was "similar" to Bird threads the past few years.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#34 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 am

Physically, athletically, and position wise, maybe they are close.

Playing style and the type of offensive players they are I don't see as that similar even if you compare them in college.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BasedGuard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by BasedGuard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 am

ShumpGod

Wade Light

We out chea
dogrufus
Rookie

Post#36 » by dogrufus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am

dantian wrote:Sprewell, Stuckey would be better comparisons.

He's put up solidly better PER and WS/48 so far than both those guys
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#37 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am

Of course this is just my opinion, but I really think that people forget what a Philly/GSW Hughes looks like. Sure this isn't exactly the greatest thing to really compare well considering it's a mix, but even still they look similar. Like Hughes, even when not shooting the ball well they can still make an impact on the game via their rebounding, steals, defense and just energy. Your right in saying that Hughes was never efficient, but it was due to his all around game that you could live with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwAB7qDFC5o[/youtube]

Regards to Wade, to me Shumpert doesn't have an ounce of the offensive savy that Wade has/developed/given by refs or whatever your stance is on that. That right there separates them by miles in my eyes. Iman even in college never shot the ball great, never had the greatest shot selection. Overall 39% shooting in college, 40% in his junior year. I don't expect that to all of a sudden be at 47% for his career.

Again like your saying, were talking playing styles. Shumpert is being catered to be an off ball option, playing off of both Melo and Amar'e. He is not someone that your going to give the ball and get out of his way, something rookie Wade did a ton of. Even still it's hard to compare stats side by side on that reason alone.

I'm not big on the whole it's just a few games sample, but in terms of play style he just doesn't remind me of Wade at all really. Again it's a mix, but at least it showcases more than just dunks like most mixes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzJFIR9i1I[/youtube]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#38 » by emo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 am

Fans have done this sh*t year, after year, after year, after year on these boards.

AND IT HAS NEVER WORKED OUT! And to be honest, it's quite embarrassing looking back at some of those comparisons.

Some fans are just tired of seeing it done over and over again (especially after so few games)

I haven't forgotten these:

• • Frye = Duncan
  • • Ariza = T-Mac (or some sh*t like that)
  • • Mardy Collins = Jason Kidd
  • • Balkman = Rodman
  • • Wilson Chandler = Carmelo
  • • Gallinari = Dirk/Larry Bird
  • • Michael Sweetney = Elton Brand
..and so forth.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
knicks33and49
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#39 » by knicks33and49 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 am

If Iman was a top 3 lottery pick or had the hype of Lebron or Greg Oden coming out, people wouldn't dismiss Iman's star potential so easily. The Larry Hughes projections are pretty bad, Hughes was never a winner nor was he a lockdown defender. He played the passing lanes well and got a lot of steals, but wasn't the bruce bowen/scottie pippen defensive prototype wing that could shut down a player and disrupt an entire offense. Let the kid develop, but don't underestimate his abilities. Iman's got good court vision, great athleticism, high motor, high defensive iq. The only thing Iman needs to work on is his jumpshot, but the mechanics are there.

I can see Iman turning out to be Joe Johnson with "1st team all nba defense" 20 ppg 4 rpg 4 apg 2spg
dogrufus
Rookie

Post#40 » by dogrufus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:OP, I get you bruh, it's just of late these boards been inundated with trolls and casual along for the ride types. These type of threads have a tendency to go down an ugly road. Excuse if I come off s bit jumpy or defensive. Mainly like another poster said I just think the comparison is a little early...

I know, but that's the way it is with our team... just because everything has sucked for a long time, let's not fall into a trap of thinking it will always suck, and being afraid to embrace hope when it presents itself.

Know hope, my Knick fan brother.

Return to New York Knicks