ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't sell them short.. Knicks can take the #1 seed

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knicksnyk
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Re: Don't sell them short.. Knicks can take the #1 seed 

Post#41 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:36 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
knicksnyk wrote:feltons usage rate in NY was 22.6 in portland was 20.8 not that big of a difference. his numbers were no where near Lin's. Lin was a lot better at scoring in ISO & pnr. u can say felton averaged 17 & 9 & Lin averaged 18 & 8 but if you do ure hmwk and check deeper lin was better. Lin's TS% was better his ST% BLK% and ability to get to the free throw line all better. Lin's ability to dish the ball & set guys up for high % shots was on the level of andre miller (who is as pure of a pg as you can get) His ability to create off the drible better likely even his spot up shooting was better & Lin isn't very good at that. even defensively lin was better. Maybe the only thing felton is better at his turnovers & transition the two things that Lin was the worst at. everything else Lin was better at u can't say they will replace more or less. these are just facts homie he is a downgrade. even if lin sucks next year doesnt change the fact that felton isn't a good pg.

Look at Lin's post all-star numbers v. Felton's career numbers. They are very similar.

Lin 6.8 apt, Felton 6.7.
Lin 1.6 spg, Felton 1.4.
Lin 41.4 fg% Felton 41.2%
Lin 14.9 ppg Felton 13.7

Felton has the clear advantage in TO's, Lin has the clear advantage in ft's

We were winning games at a playoff-calibur clip during that stretch (7-7, including 3-4 games without Tyson), so I expect that to continue as long as Felton can play at that level. Was that Lin at his best? Probably not, but that shows you what level of wins we get when our PG is playing at that level. And to repeat a point that nobody has attempted to rebut (because you can't), Felton is hands down better than TD/Bibby.

I just told u that Lin in his 25 games played better than ray in his 54 games in NY. Lin's numbers were a lot better true shooting, assist percentage, defensively all better. lmao so we are going to play the my stats are better than ure stats game? lol i am done. & nobody is going to rebutt that felton is better than TD/Bibby because it is the truth & that is hardly a compliment to felton.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#42 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:42 pm

knicksnyk wrote:
I just told u that Lin in his 25 games played better than ray in his 54 games in NY. Lin's numbers were a lot better true shooting, assist percentage, defensively all better. lmao so we are going to play the my stats are better than ure stats game? lol i am done.

Lin's TS% is better because he gets to the line more, a point that I acknowledged.

I don't know exactly how assist rate is measured, so I guess I'll concede that one to you. If it's assists/minute, it can't be that much of an advantage for Lin because in the stats I referred to Felton plays 34 mpg to Lin's 31.

Defensively, you gave me blocks and steals, which paint a very incomplete picture of defensive ability.

& nobody is going to rebutt that felton is better than TD/Bibby because it is the truth & that is hardly a compliment to felton.

Right, but people still wave around the 5-14 start as a reason for why we will fail. All the while denouncing 18-6 under Woodson as irrelevant.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#43 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
knicksnyk wrote:
I just told u that Lin in his 25 games played better than ray in his 54 games in NY. Lin's numbers were a lot better true shooting, assist percentage, defensively all better. lmao so we are going to play the my stats are better than ure stats game? lol i am done.

Lin's TS% is better because he gets to the line more, a point that I acknowledged.

I don't know exactly how assist rate is measured, so I guess I'll concede that one to you. If it's assists/minute, it can't be that much of an advantage for Lin because in the stats I referred to Felton plays 34 mpg to Lin's 31.

Defensively, you gave me blocks and steals, which paint a very incomplete picture of defensive ability.

& nobody is going to rebutt that felton is better than TD/Bibby because it is the truth & that is hardly a compliment to felton.

Right, but people still wave around the 5-14 start as a reason for why we will fail. All the while denouncing 18-6 under Woodson as irrelevant.

what is the best statistic for u in terms of measuring defensive ability?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#44 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Im not totally sure... but this article does a good job using stats to show why Lin isn't a great defender: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ts-part-ii

Not saying you should take it at face value, but it's certainly better than just looking at steals and blocks.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by knicksnyk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Im not totally sure... but this article does a good job using stats to show why Lin isn't a great defender: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ts-part-ii

Not saying you should take it at face value, but it's certainly better than just looking at steals and blocks.

its right lin is terrible at defending isolation & spot ups. it says nothing about his pnr defense which he was great at. last season Lin held opponents to fewer points per play and a lower field goal percentage (37.8) last season than Felton (41.6). remember this is s guy that was just learning how to play defense in the nba. dont know rays #'s from NY.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#46 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:07 pm

knicksnyk wrote:
ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Im not totally sure... but this article does a good job using stats to show why Lin isn't a great defender: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... ts-part-ii

its right lin is terrible at defending isolation & spot ups. it says nothing about his pnr defense which he was great at. last season Lin held opponents to fewer points per play and a lower field goal percentage (37.8) last season than Felton (41.6). remember this is s guy that was just learning how to play defense in the nba. dont know rays #'s from NY

Ok, well if you want to prove that Lin is a better defender than Felton, let's see career ppg allowed in different situations. Showing me Felton's numbers from last year doesn't do much because the whole premise of this argument is that Felton has a bounce-back year.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#47 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:14 pm

How did this become a Lin thread?

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM

Post#48 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:How did this become a Lin thread?

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2

Just be glad it's not a melo thread. yet.
DRoberstonNYY
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#49 » by DRoberstonNYY » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 pm

it seems OP takes notes from its teams stars.. talk high and mighty.. but when the going gets tough, fire extinguishers will be punched

this team isn't even close to the heat. just watch the playoffs last year for example. they sweep us pretty handily if in game 4 they don't coast after they get a 13 point lead. honestly, 3 out of the 4 games weren't even close, either.

this team is more of a 4-5 seed. this is why we as knicks fans get hated on. prove nothing, talk a ton. kind of like the teams stars.
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,867

Post#50 » by GettinitDone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:56 pm

I agree with OP and I believe we can too. We have the ingredients, it's time to cook some thing great.

We never know how the Heat are gonna be like after winning champs. Would they be focused or would they show signs of contentment? Wade has won 2 rings, so he should know what to expect, but it's LeBron and Chris and Mario the great's first ring. Defending a title can be a bitch. I don't think they'd make being #1 seed as their top goal, esp if they believe they can "turn it on" in playoffs.

We can and should make being top East team as our goal. Homecourt advantage vs Heat in ECF would be big. Don't sell yourself short, I agree.
Falstaffxx
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#51 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm

This is so delusional. I'm glad I'm not drinking the cool-aid this year.

Just look at our starting lineup...You have an outstanding scorer in Carmelo and good defensive center...outside of that it's mediocre. Felton and Amar'e are mediocre players. Shumpert is out for most of the year. JR Smith is an idiot and a chucker. Our starting lineup is crappy.
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#52 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

GettinitDone wrote:I agree with OP and I believe we can too. We have the ingredients, it's time to cook some thing great.

That's what we DON'T have. See my post above. The Heat are the ones who have "the ingredients."
Quick Kick
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#53 » by Quick Kick » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 pm

I never wanna root against my own team but no way in hades are we a #1 seed caliber team. Way too many question marks to even aim that high. In fact, things could go so awry theres a possibility we could miss the playoffs entirely. Things can go to either extreme this year. Hope for the best but brace for the worst.
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#54 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Quick Kick wrote:I never wanna root against my own team but no way in hades are we a #1 seed caliber team. Way too many question marks to even aim that high. In fact, things could go so awry theres a possibility we could miss the playoffs entirely. Things can go to either extreme this year. Hope for the best but brace for the worst.

I'll definitely feel some satisfaction this year at seeing this miserable team do poorly this year. I've been a fan for 25 years and this offseason the organization spat in my face one too many times. I'll laugh when the Nets have a similar record to the Knicks in their first year in New York. Stupid fricking franchise. I won't seriously root for the Knicks again until they start rebuilding again, and idiots like Carmelo, Smith, Amar'e, Kidd, and Felton, are out of here. And it's not even because I'm being stubborn, I just don't feel it any more, emotionally. I think of the Knicks and there's no "yay" in it for me right now.

Now I wish we never made the Carmelo trade. I'd rather watch that team win 40 games and be thinking about the future than watch this current squad win 48.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,739

Post#55 » by omerome » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:This is so delusional. I'm glad I'm not drinking the cool-aid this year.

Just look at our starting lineup...You have an outstanding scorer in Carmelo and good defensive center...outside of that it's mediocre. Felton and Amar'e are mediocre players. Shumpert is out for most of the year. JR Smith is an idiot and a chucker. Our starting lineup is crappy.

I don't understand why you have to almost insult someone for believing in something different than you. The OP said that the Knicks CAN be a #1 seed. He didn't say they will be one. If the team doesn't feel they will be a #1 seed, they won't. Someone has to believe it. And as fans, that's what we hope for.

Do you think that Miami after they were eliminated by Dallas said, "We don't have what it takes to win a title so why bother"? No. They came back next season hungrier and more determined. I don't see why we can't come back with a similar mentality.
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#56 » by louieOrr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#57 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:17 pm

omerome wrote:
Falstaffxx wrote:This is so delusional. I'm glad I'm not drinking the cool-aid this year.

I don't understand why you have to almost insult someone for believing in something different than you. The OP said that the Knicks CAN be a #1 seed. He didn't say they will be one. If the team doesn't feel they will be a #1 seed, they won't. Someone has to believe it. And as fans, that's what we hope for.

Do you think that Miami after they were eliminated by Dallas said, "We don't have what it takes to win a title so why bother"? No. They came back next season hungrier and more determined. I don't see why we can't come back with a similar mentality.

It is delusional. It's not an "insult." It's truly delusional.

And...lol...we DO come back with that mentality. But this team just isn't good enough, and is too stupid. For this team it's not a winning mentality, it's just empty arrogance.
omerome
RealGM

Post#58 » by omerome » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:
Quick Kick wrote:I never wanna root against my own team but no way in hades are we a #1 seed caliber team. Way too many question marks to even aim that high. In fact, things could go so awry theres a possibility we could miss the playoffs entirely. Things can go to either extreme this year. Hope for the best but brace for the worst.

I'll definitely feel some satisfaction this year at seeing this miserable team do poorly this year. I've been a fan for 25 years and this offseason the organization spat in my face one too many times. I'll laugh when the Nets have a similar record to the Knicks in their first year in New York. Stupid fricking franchise. I won't seriously root for the Knicks again until they start rebuilding again, and idiots like Carmelo, Smith, Amar'e, Kidd, and Felton, are out of here. And it's not even because I'm being stubborn, I just don't feel it any more, emotionally. I think of the Knicks and there's no "yay" in it for me right now.

I think it's healthier to just stop watching and even stop posting for a while. Besides, why even bring unnecessary negativity to the board?

Shrug...I guess the saying is true that misery loves company.
omerome
RealGM

Post#59 » by omerome » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:It is delusional. It's not an "insult." It's truly delusional.

So if the Knicks do get the #1 seed, what would you say about that?
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#60 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:20 pm

omerome wrote:
Falstaffxx wrote:

I think it's healthier to just stop watching and even stop posting for a while. Besides, why even bring unnecessary negativity to the board?

Shrug...I guess the saying is true that misery loves company.

It's necessary negativity. You're the one slapping an "unnecessary" tag on it. What, I have to take a break until the team sucks for the 13th year in a row? Come midseason, everyone will be jumping off the delusional bandwagon they're on right now.

Return to New York Knicks