ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Assault Weapons Ban Clarification

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Re: OT - Assault Weapons Ban Clarification 

Post#21 » by [GR] » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Any rifle with a detachable magazine will be considered an assault rifle, and be banned. It's a stupid bill.

spiggy718 wrote:
Starks1994 wrote:Through out this entire debate on guns, I still have yet to hear an explanation on what purpose a citizen could have with an assault rifle.

the go-to response is that our second amendment rights are being violated and that if ever the need arises to form a militia the citizens will not be properly equipped to fight an army or something to that effect.

I think the new restrictions are perfectly reasonable. I also agree with you, in my mind there is no reason a civilian needs to own a military style assault rifle that can fire at a high volume. I do not have a problem with hand guns or hunting rifles because one is used for sport while the other for personal protection. i dont know why some people are so attached to their assault rifles.

It already is illegal to own, or sell an automatic rifle made after 1986. These aren't military style rifles, since they aren't automatic.
LoyalFan
Junior
And1: 45

Post#22 » by LoyalFan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 am

this entire debate is about personal agenda. personal agenda of self righteous politicians who believe they know best.

as many said "assault rifles" have already been banned. it is not exactly illegal to own 1. just 1 that was built before 86. you have to pay a tax stamp to own 1. and since there is a finite number of them in circulation its a question of supply and demand. aka a fully automatic rifle will cost you more than a honda civic.

this current debate and the politics behind it is a huge joke. they are not interested in making anything safer. if they were they would be talking about banning handguns. the new york law is even funnier. limiting magazines to 7 rounds and saying you have 1 year to sell the old 1s is essentially saying you are not allowed to own a gun. there is only 1 gun that uses a 7round magazine. that is a 1911. every other gun created in the 21st century, in particular handguns holds 11-19 rounds. manufactures dont even make 7 round magazines and likely never will. so they are saying you can own the gun just not the part that holds the bullets

many of the other bills being presented in essense does actually ban every single modern fire arm. then in a long drawn out approach they effectively confiscate them. the diane feinstein bill calls for a ban of all guns, aka you can never make a new 1. then it requires a registration. then it stipulates that you can not sell or trade or give the gun away. aka you can not even will it to your children when you die. so now they have it registered and they know when you die. so they have a legal right to come and take that gun away. given 100 years or less it will essentially confiscate every legally owned gun effectively disarming the entire american people
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#23 » by ccvle » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 am

can someone explain to me why the NRA is so powerful? Banks lobby the congress too, but that didn't stop financial regulations being passed in recent years or atleast not with this much outrage.
[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Post#24 » by [GR] » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 am

ccvle wrote:can someone explain to me why the NRA is so powerful? Banks lobby the congress too, but that didn't stop financial regulations being passed in recent years or atleast not with this much outrage.

They're not as powerful as people would like to believe. Just look at how fast NY passed this legislation.
lliiknicksiill33
Junior
And1: 23

Post#25 » by lliiknicksiill33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 am

ccvle wrote:can someone explain to me why the NRA is so powerful? Banks lobby the congress too, but that didn't stop financial regulations being passed in recent years or atleast not with this much outrage.

My My My! What did those "regulations" end up doing? Make large, to big to fail banks, even bigger, even toooooo big to fail! Those same "regulations" were written under the direction of the big banks! You guys don't what what you're talking about.

BTW, what happened to all of our community banks? I'll tell you what happened, they disappeared. Big banks have the $$$ to pay their lawyers to find loop holes and have enough influence to help pass the "regulations." The small community banks don't so they end up being bought by big banks which then get larger and larger.

Open your eyes guys!
Greatest Knick of All Time : # 33 Patrick Ewing
lliiknicksiill33
Junior

Post#26 » by lliiknicksiill33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:12 am

[GR] wrote:

They're not as powerful as people would like to believe. Just look at how fast NY passed this legislation.

What part of NY's newest legislation or King Obama's executive orders would've stopped the shootings in Aurora or in CT from happening? Please explain, in detail.
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#27 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am

The law stands no chance of passing congress so the point is moot.

It's really just a bargaining point for the POTUS. By saying he gave in on the assault weapons ban he knows will never happen he can say he compromised on the deal.

I believe what they are really after is the universal background checks.
Play time is over.
lliiknicksiill33
Junior

Post#28 » by lliiknicksiill33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 am

johnnywishbone wrote:The law stands no chance of passing congress so the point is moot.

It's really just a bargaining point for the POTUS. By saying he gave in on the assault weapons ban he knows will never happen he can say he compromised on the deal.

How would universal background checks stop criminals from getting firearms illegally? How would that stop psycho's from stealing their parents' weapons and murdering innocent people?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#29 » by GONYK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 am

lliiknicksiill33 wrote:
johnnywishbone wrote:The law stands no chance of passing congress so the point is moot.

How would universal background checks stop criminals from getting firearms illegally? How would that stop psycho's from stealing their parents' weapons and murdering innocent people?

So doing absolutely nothing is the better course of action?
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#30 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am

lliiknicksiill33 wrote:

How does not selling to minors stop teens from drinking? Are you saying they should do nothing about it? What is it hurting other than probably increasing the cost of guns?
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#31 » by alphad0gz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:43 am

How does a gun, any gun, help you against drones? Nuclear weapons?

I can definitely understand folks being skeptical about government and demand protection against it. I would expect those folks get together and protest things like wiretapping, illegal shooting of American citizens, drones spying within the borders, extreme military budget, heck even asking for the gold standard makes sense within that framework.

Please be serious. If nuclear weapons are detonated on our soil, it's game over. I'm speaking about domestic threats as well as protection from an abusive government. Drones? If it comes to that you can figure there will be well armed militias able to fight them. They have a lot of the same weapons the military does. As far as the other stuff, protest won't do a damned thing. Its naive to think it will. Show me where an oppressive government has ever been stopped with peaceful protests. I'm not suggesting that these things are imminent, but they are possible. The worse things get here, the more likely theft, looting, and other acts of violence become. Look around the globe. When people get desperate these things happen. I believe I have the right to protect my family and my property by any means available to me. These laws are aimed at preventing me and others from doing exactly that.

I can also tell you that foreign troops have trained on American soil several times Why? And all you anti=gun folks are OK with this? This country is changing very quickly and what you people in the large cities see is far different than what I see and hear. People are pissed.
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#32 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 am

We have this portion of our country that has a disproportionate representation in congress. California and New York have like 20% of the nation's population but only elect 4% of the Senate.

This portion of our country has a primordial fear of the federal government because emancipation and desegregation were forced on them. So the idea of taking away their guns scares them to death because they are afraid of what else we might make them give up.

Just like how emancipation and desegregation were important steps forward for the country so is banning assault weapons. This portion of the country is just always on the wrong side of history.

And it's really not just those two issues - you can throw in a whole bunch more like stem cell research, global warming, tobacco et al..
Play time is over.
johnnywishbone
General Manager

Post#33 » by johnnywishbone » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 am

lliiknicksiill33 wrote:

Let me ask you the reverse. What's the hardship for getting a background check before buying a gun?
Play time is over.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#34 » by KnicksScholar24 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 am

They should just make each gun (especially assault rifles) cost $75+ K and bullets $10 each. If you are caught with one, you need to provide valid, legit receipt along with your gun license. If you can't provide that you go to jail for a minimum of 2 years and a $100 K fine.

People will retain their ability to "bare arms," but they better have the bank for it.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,116

Post#35 » by E86 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 am

I haven't owned a gun in years, but when I lived in Seattle I used to always go up in the mountains and skeet shoot. I had a glock 9mm, a remmington longer barrel shot gun, and a calico m100 .22 "assault rifle" (lmao). Shooting has always been fun for me, even as a kid with my red ryder bb gun. Shooting is actually really fun and I would suggest some of you guys who have never tried it go some where it's legal and check out a shooting range where you can rent a gun. Besides the whole second amendment thing getting trampled, it's terrible to think I might not be able to enjoy that as a hobby again some day.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,690

Post#36 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 am

Quiz: Gun Control Quotes (Reagan, Feinstein or Obama)

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -quiz.html
Free Palestine
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,432

Post#37 » by duetta » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 am

The part of the law that might have prevented Sandy Hook is the part where mental health experts read the riot act to Nancy Lanza about the dangers of having these kinds of weapons in a home that also houses a deeply troubled child.
alphad0gz
Analyst

Post#38 » by alphad0gz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 am

Interesting reading for the anti assault weapon people:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/election/2 ... -the-data/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2912115/posts

http://extranosalley.com/?p=30307

So tell me again why these weapons are being targeted?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#39 » by GONYK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 am

alphad0gz wrote:Interesting reading for the anti assault weapon people:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/election/2 ... -the-data/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2912115/posts

http://extranosalley.com/?p=30307

So tell me again why these weapons are being targeted?

So what's your solution?

Is doing absolutely nothing a better alternative?
alphad0gz
Analyst

Post#40 » by alphad0gz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:44 am

The part of the law that might have prevented Sandy Hook is the part where mental health experts read the riot act to Nancy Lanza about the dangers of having these kinds of weapons in a home that also houses a deeply troubled child.

Not likely since that is not how she considered him. I agree that she is responsible, if that is what you are saying. If that is not what you are saying, it should be. We only want the government to have minimal intrusion into out lives. They only mess things up the more they control. They are like bloodsucking vampires and just like vampires, they are the most dangerous when willingly invited into your house (life).

Return to New York Knicks