ImageImageImageImageImage

General Rock Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: General Rock Thread 

Post#21 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Sep 1, 2013 2:07 pm

Probably my favorite rock album in the last few years was Hospitality-Hospitality. Strong debut album. A pleasure to listen to from start to finish. This is indie rock I guess, it's not hard rock, very laid-back. A nice album to kick back and listen to.

MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,130

Post#22 » by TrueWarrior » Sun Sep 1, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey boys if you want a great site check out RateYourMusic.com

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

You can type in any genre, any year/decade, and it will give you the highest rated albums.

LastFM.com is another top shelf site. You can sign up for free and sync it to your Itunes. It will then give you suggestions based on what you're listening to. I mainly use it for the "similar artists" if I like a certain band.

Bandcamp.com is probably the biggest growing independent music website around now. It lets anybody upload their music and either give it away for free, lets the customer decide how much they want to pay for it, or the band sets a cheap price. Theres no middle man. The money goes straight to the artist. I think sooner or later this is going to be the norm in the music industry. Record companies are dying and they know it. Anyway theres some really good stuff on this site.

I used to be into A7X, Breaking Benjamin, and some of the stuff mentioned here but there really are thousands of better bands out there (imo of course). You just wont hear them on MTV or mainstream/classic rock radio. Anybody who says music isnt good anymore just isnt looking hard enough. We have the internet fellas so theres no excuse. It doesnt matter if it came out in 2013 or 1965 youd be surprised how many albums are really out there.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#23 » by br7knicks » Sun Sep 1, 2013 10:27 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
I used to be into A7X, Breaking Benjamin, and some of the stuff mentioned here but there really are thousands of better bands out there (imo of course). You just wont hear them on MTV or mainstream/classic rock radio. Anybody who says music isnt good anymore just isnt looking hard enough. We have the internet fellas so theres no excuse. It doesnt matter if it came out in 2013 or 1965 youd be surprised how many albums are really out there.

I'm big into Halestorm now. They and A7X are my two favorite bands. I like both of their deep stuff better than their hit songs.

I don't listen to music radio (only talk, free beer and hot wings), nor do I know what channel MTV is on, lol. That's why I never know new bands, or who's popular. i just listen to what i think sounds nice.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Re: OT: new A7X album 

Post#24 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Sep 1, 2013 10:46 pm

CanadianKnicksFan wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:How does Arin Ilejay stack up to The Rev? The Rev was a sick sick sick drummer man, just a beast, he is what made some of the old A7X amazing.

The drumming is pretty basic/straight forward. Although I think I heard the guys in avenged held him back on this record.

I wish they wouldn't have.. The Rev is what made the City of Evil album amazing.. its what separates them from similar bands in my opinion.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#25 » by Im Coming Home » Fri Sep 6, 2013 8:20 am

I know its a semi-old video but A Day To Remember made a really cool 'Thank You' video basically having a bunch of other bands be featured in their video for 'All I Want'

The bands include(In order):
Crime In Stereo, Tom Denney- Former ADTR, Veara, Bring Me The Horizon, Silverstein, Parkway Drive, The Devil Wears Prada, Andrew WK, Pete Wentz, Millencolin, As I Lay Dying, The Red Chord, August Burns Red, Comeback Kid, Seventh Star, Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, Architects, MxPx, Your Demise, Trivium, Pierce the Veil, The Acacia Strain, This Is Hell, Set Your Goals

Btw I'm going to see them October 11th, can't wait.

:D :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn-6eOxnEMI[/youtube]
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#26 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8QcaMMVQE[/youtube]
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrptEANERI[/YouTube]

Mechanical Bull leaked :D
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#27 » by Marty McFly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 am

AM By Arctic Monkeys is the sexiest rock record I've heard in a while. they're basically the second coming of the beatles over in the uk and not many people care here stateside. 5 consecutive number one albums for an indie band.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w29Sa_QbPjY[/youtube]
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#28 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:43 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Hey boys if you want a great site check out RateYourMusic.com

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

You can type in any genre, any year/decade, and it will give you the highest rated albums.

LastFM.com is another top shelf site. You can sign up for free and sync it to your Itunes. It will then give you suggestions based on what you're listening to. I mainly use it for the "similar artists" if I like a certain band.

Bandcamp.com is probably the biggest growing independent music website around now. It lets anybody upload their music and either give it away for free, lets the customer decide how much they want to pay for it, or the band sets a cheap price. Theres no middle man. The money goes straight to the artist. I think sooner or later this is going to be the norm in the music industry. Record companies are dying and they know it. Anyway theres some really good stuff on this site.

LastFM.com give you any advantages compared to Pandora.com?
Free Palestine
Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#29 » by Starks1994 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:02 am

Here's a nice thread we can make use of while everyone is arguing in the Drake thread.

Any Kurt Vile fans? I think he's a modern day Kurt Cobain circa Unplugged.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lndElNyk-m0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k66loEGspY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llz8UUuXHSU[/youtube]
br7knicks

Post#30 » by br7knicks » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:42 pm

saw halestorm (and new favorite band, The Warning) in charlotte yesterday.

new halestorm song is awesome. it's not as gritty as their first album, but at least they sound less pop and disney, like they did in the middle.

RIP, magnumt '19

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#31 » by NoLayupRule » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:02 pm

Marty McFly wrote:AM By Arctic Monkeys is the sexiest rock record I've heard in a while. they're basically the second coming of the beatles over in the uk and not many people care here stateside. 5 consecutive number one albums for an indie band.

agreed

that album was a stunner

their follow up to it was disappointing but they are pretty great
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#32 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 1, 2022 12:44 am

ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#33 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 1, 2022 12:51 am

ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 1, 2022 7:05 am

"People! Who's fighting? What for?"

We all know the best music was made in the 60s and 70s. And there's nothing you can do about it. :P

But respect to br7, who's my man.
Free Palestine
br7knicks

Post#35 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 9, 2022 12:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:"People! Who's fighting? What for?"

We all know the best music was made in the 60s and 70s. And there's nothing you can do about it. :P

couldn't agree more, Wingo!

if i could show you my amazon music account, you'd see that the vast majority of the songs are from my all time favorite bands, Heart and REM!

because i taught myself how to play guitar, you'd also see a **** load of: eric clapton, black sabbath, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, and johnny cash!

and this is coming from a kid (35 now) whose mom only listened to Ace of Base and Amy Grant, and dad who only listened to David Bowie (who i am actually growing to like a bit now)
RIP, magnumt '19

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#36 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 9, 2022 11:51 pm

br7knicks wrote:

if i could show you my amazon music account, you'd see that the vast majority of the songs are from my all time favorite bands, Heart and REM!

because i taught myself how to play guitar, you'd also see a **** load of: eric clapton, black sabbath, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, and johnny cash!

and this is coming from a kid (35 now) whose mom only listened to Ace of Base and Amy Grant, and dad who only listened to David Bowie (who i am actually growing to like a bit now)

Have you heard anything off the new Ann Wilson album entitled “Fierce Bliss”? OMG! I was floored listening to a version of Robin Trower’s “Brudge Of Sighs” while driving but didn’t recognize the female artist. It was only after the song was over when the DJ announced it. She also has Kenny Wayne Sheppard, who’s a beast, on lead guitar.

You’re going to love this.

Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#37 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 am

br7knicks wrote:

Last week I had the specific thought that R.E.M.'s greatness only grows with time. Their songs have aged well
ImageImageImage
br7knicks

Post#38 » by br7knicks » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:44 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Have you heard anything off the new Ann Wilson album entitled “Fierce Bliss”? OMG! I was floored listening to a version of Robin Trower’s “Brudge Of Sighs” while driving but didn’t recognize the female artist. It was only after the song was over when the DJ announced it. She also has Kenny Wayne Sheppard, who’s a beast, on lead guitar.

This is great thank you! I didn't know about it. I know Nancy did some solo stuff. Thanks again, wingo!
RIP, magnumt '19

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#39 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:07 am

br7knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

This is great thank you! I didn't know about it. I know Nancy did some solo stuff. Thanks again, wingo!

Her voice sounds as great as ever. As a guitarist, I love Nancy as well. Having the two Wilson sisters lead a great rock and roll band was awesome to grow up with. They completely kicked the door open.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#40 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:30 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Last week I had the specific thought that R.E.M.'s greatness only grows with time. Their songs have aged well

:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks