ImageImageImageImageImage

1/17 GT:Okafor 12pm, D'angelo Russell 2pm, Towns 4pm all ESPN

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Re: 1/17 GT:Okafor 12pm, D'angelo Russell 2pm, Towns 4pm all ESPN 

Post#281 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 am

I don't think there's anyone that truly hates Okafor as a prospect. How could you? The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the constant comparisons to Duncan. Okafor has low post moves for days, but doesn't offer everything else that Duncan did. Even what Okafor did tonight and I only caught some of the game, wasn't disappointing to me at least. Teams are going out of there way to stop Okafor and if the other Duke players step up, that's him helping the team. Jones had it going tonight and Sulaimon had a great first half.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#282 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:38 am

Workforce250 wrote:Honestly, I don't know what prompts folks to say Melo is a terrible defender. Is he elite no. But neither is Lebron anymore. Lebron wants no part of Melo when they match up. Also Kiwi eats Lebron up.
So let's drop the hearsay please.
Secondly, in my opinion we should snatch Wes Mathews and sign a super max NEXT year. Draft smart and sign Tourey Murray to a camp visit and determine what guys like Copeland and Scola want. We have more than $35mil. That's plentiful to get a bench.

Melo is a good defender in the post, meh defender on the perimeter but the difference between him & Lebron is Lebron actually has the capability to contend for Defensive Player of The Year if he tries 82 games.

Melo doesn't have that capability but like you said he's not a terrible defender.

As far Wes Matthew signing for the max, players with his skill & versatility is who we should be looking for.
Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#283 » by Yodi2007 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 am

Manhattan Project wrote:I don't think there's anyone that truly hates Okafor as a prospect. How could you? The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the constant comparisons to Duncan. Okafor has low post moves for days, but doesn't offer everything else that Duncan did. Even what Okafor did tonight and I only caught some of the game, wasn't disappointing to me at least. Teams are going out of there way to stop Okafor and if the other Duke players step up, that's him helping the team. Jones had it going tonight and Sulaimon had a great first half.

I think to comparisons he's a Elton Brand but an overall better one coming out of Duke!
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#284 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:20 am

Yodi2007 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:I don't think there's anyone that truly hates Okafor as a prospect. How could you? The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the constant comparisons to Duncan. Okafor has low post moves for days, but doesn't offer everything else that Duncan did. Even what Okafor did tonight and I only caught some of the game, wasn't disappointing to me at least. Teams are going out of there way to stop Okafor and if the other Duke players step up, that's him helping the team. Jones had it going tonight and Sulaimon had a great first half.

I think to comparisons he's a Elton Brand but an overall better one coming out of Duke!

are you comparing Okafor to Brand?

thats a terruble comparison

brand was a great rebounder and defender with a sting post game too

Okafor is a much better offensive player and passer, I think, but much worse on D and the glass
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#285 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:25 am

Yodi2007 wrote:I think to comparisons he's a Elton Brand but an overall better one coming out of Duke!

Brand even at Duke already had a mid range shot and was easily the better athlete. Brand did do a lot of the dirty work down low for Duke, but there both operated a little differently. Brand was also a more of a intimidating presence down low. Still can't understand what the Bulls were thinking with the Baby Bulls crap.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#286 » by Workforce250 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 am

JBreezeNY wrote:
Workforce250 wrote:Honestly, I don't know what prompts folks to say Melo is a terrible defender. Is he elite no. But neither is Lebron anymore. Lebron wants no part of Melo when they match up. Also Kiwi eats Lebron up.
Secondly, in my opinion we should snatch Wes Mathews and sign a super max NEXT year. Draft smart and sign Tourey Murray to a camp visit and determine what guys like Copeland and Scola want. We have more than $35mil. That's plentiful to get a bench.

Melo is a good defender in the post, meh defender on the perimeter but the difference between him & Lebron is Lebron actually has the capability to contend for Defensive Player of The Year if he tries 82 games.

Melo doesn't have that capability but like you said he's not a terrible defender.

As far Wes Matthew signing for the max, players with his skill & versatility is who we should be looking for.

Agree. I think Lebron is not elite like most picture him. He doesn't take pride in it like MJ.
Anyway no to digress. Personally Matthews may be the key acquisition this first year and can sore up a glaring hole. 90% of the 2015/2016 super max free agents are bigs so I would look for the Butler? and Matthew..Butler being the long shot. Everything else is gravy
knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#287 » by knicknack » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:01 am

Love D. Russell, he will be an All-star Rookie and possibly a perennial All-star by his third year. He's the smoothest sg I've seen in years. Looks like he was born to play basketball, can shoot, great vision, pass, seems to have a descent BBIQ and is descent on defense. He plays like the game is simple, not many freshman can play that way. You have to go with Okafor if you have the number 1 pick but its undeniable Russell will be very very special. Whoever he falls to will have their sg for life!

I know we need a big man who can make a difference but if a miracle happens and we land a major C free agent, i.e. Gasol or LMA, a trade down to get Russell and a signing of Dragic or R. Jackson would make us more than significant! I can only dream!!!!
Retired_Doc
Analyst
And1: 367

Post#288 » by Retired_Doc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm quite surprised virtually no one here bothers to talk about Frank Kaminsky!

IMO Kaminsky is THE most underrated player in the draft. He OUTPLAYED OK4 when they met.

Catch this: Of ALL the top 60 in the draft, Draft Express has Kaminsky with THE highest PER: 36.1. OK4 by comparison: 34.3. Towns: 28.4, and Russell: 28. Stanley Johnson: 27.

But PER's aside, Kaminsky is the bargain of this draft. If someone drafts him say tenth, that team has the steal of the draft.

Moved over to college watch thread...............
Tanking again, I suppose. Is there any other way?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#289 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Trying hard not get hung up on any one player for fear of being dissappointed, but it's hard with lil' God. That boy's post game is god level.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#290 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:46 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:

The what?
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#291 » by MeloTime » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Wes Matthews is definitely not a max player. Even if he demands it he is not a max player.

He is averaging 16 points 2 assist 3 rebounds.

Yes he is a two way player and lights out 3 ball shooter. But lets be serious.

Wes Matthews is worth approx 11 per year. He should be getting anywhere from 4/40 - 4/48 tops...

That being said, I definitely want both Matthews and Dragic. When the last we have a solid back court with an amazing scorer on the wing ?

Than you sign a PF to do the dirty work and you got Okafor/Towns at the C position.
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#292 » by Workforce250 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

When I mention Wes Matthews as a max I try to distinguish between 2 level max players and super max players. Wes is definitely a 2nd level max player, why? Because he will get the max allotted to him, no doubt. Currently he makes $7,245,640 and should command an affordable $10m.
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#293 » by Workforce250 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm

MeloTime wrote:Wes Matthews is definitely not a max player. Even if he demands it he is not a max player.

He is averaging 16 points 2 assist 3 rebounds.

Yes he is a two way player and lights out 3 ball shooter. But lets be serious.

Wes Matthews is worth approx 11 per year. He should be getting anywhere from 4/40 - 4/48 tops...

That being said, I definitely want both Matthews and Dragic. When the last we have a solid back court with an amazing scorer on the wing ?

Than you sign a PF to do the dirty work and you got Okafor/Towns at the C position.

Falling into Okafor is a lucky draw obviously. If we fall to 3 or 4 we get Matthews as that 2 level "max" and save the super max slot for a big in 2016.

The feeling here is that Aldridge and Gasol will probably not come out.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#294 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

The what?

I thought I wrote something more in here.

Wes Matthews is a player we should be going after but not at a max contract
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#295 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Workforce250 wrote:When I mention Wes Matthews as a max I try to distinguish between 2 level max players and super max players. Wes is definitely a 2nd level max player, why? Because he will get the max allotted to him, no doubt. Currently he makes $7,245,640 and should command an affordable $10m.

Wes Matthews max based on projections from previous years salary cap increases will be in the $15.75 million range to start (all qualified free agents that have played in the NBA between 0-6 years have the same max). That's the max he can be paid. $10 million isn't his "max". This is the 'normal' max. Are you referring to a hypothetical/conceptual max of some sort? When you say max, most folks are thinking what the CBA allows and what the CBA allows is a contract starting at $15.75 million and increases each year from there. 'Super max' generally refer to contracts that start at an amount higher than the 'normal' max allowed for a player with the number of years of service he has? Kobe Bryant is an example of a super max since the maximum a player with his years of service can make was $20.6 million but because Bryant's previous salary was greater than that he was able to be paid more than the 'normal' max (based on CBA rules players that were already making more than that under the old CBA could make more than the 'normal' max, ergo the term 'super max'). To a lesser degree Carmelo Anthony also signed a 'super max'.
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#296 » by Workforce250 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 am

moocow007 wrote:
Workforce250 wrote:When I mention Wes Matthews as a max I try to distinguish between 2 level max players and super max players. Wes is definitely a 2nd level max player, why? Because he will get the max allotted to him, no doubt. Currently he makes $7,245,640 and should command an affordable $10m.

Wes Matthews max based on projections from previous years salary cap increases will be in the $15.75 million range to start (all qualified free agents that have played in the NBA between 0-6 years have the same max). That's the max he can be paid. $10 million isn't his "max". This is the 'normal' max. Are you referring to a hypothetical/conceptual max of some sort? When you say max, most folks are thinking what the CBA allows and what the CBA allows is a contract starting at $15.75 million and increases each year from there. 'Super max' generally refer to contracts that start at an amount higher than the 'normal' max allowed for a player with the number of years of service he has? Kobe Bryant is an example of a super max since the maximum a player with his years of service can make was $20.6 million but because Bryant's previous salary was greater than that he was able to be paid more than the 'normal' max (based on CBA rules players that were already making more than that under the old CBA could make more than the 'normal' max, ergo the term 'super max'). To a lesser degree Carmelo Anthony also signed a 'super max'.

Thanks I appreciate the clarification. So actually the difference between a second tier max player and super max per se can be alot. My point is also pointing to caliber of these 2nd tier max players, asoopposed to the elite type players with possible hall of fame careers.
Workforce250
Banned User

Post#297 » by Workforce250 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:33 am

moocow007 wrote:

So in theory when can do 1 super max and 1 2nd tier max.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#298 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Retired_Doc wrote:I'm quite surprised virtually no one here bothers to talk about Frank Kaminsky!

IMO Kaminsky is THE most underrated player in the draft. He OUTPLAYED OK4 when they met.

Catch this: Of ALL the top 60 in the draft, Draft Express has Kaminsky with THE highest PER: 36.1. OK4 by comparison: 34.3. Towns: 28.4, and Russell: 28. Stanley Johnson: 27.

But PER's aside, Kaminsky is the bargain of this draft. If someone drafts him say tenth, that team has the steal of the draft.

Moved over to college watch thread...............

I think this has been way overstated. He didn't it play him, he avoided him by shooting jumpshots on the perimeter where Okofor simply cannot defend. Not saying that Kandinsky didn't smartly play to his strengths but unless you're happy with Ryan Anderson or Matt Bonner types, you don't fool yourself into thinking that Kaminski is gonna do anything special in the nba. Im not saying he wouldn't have a role at the next level but he'll spend his career jacking up long-range shots while missing out on key rebounds you expect your 7fter to hook after.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#299 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Workforce250 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

So in theory when can do 1 super max and 1 2nd tier max.

Unlikely. There's also cap holds for the other roster spots (Knicks will have plenty) to consider as well as Hardaways contract and the contract of the top 3 pick. 1st pick overall has hits the cap for $4.75 million, 2nd overall at $4.25 million and 3rd overall at $3.8 million.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#300 » by DickGrayson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:36 pm

I rather sign Danny Green for cheaper and get the same kind of player, and have more room to target a bigger free agent or save space for 2016.

Return to New York Knicks