ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#201 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:33 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Finished Red Rising. So damn good, wow.

When 3 or more people are raving about a book, I'll have go get it.

You won’t regret it.
Manhattan Project wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Finished Red Rising. So damn good, wow.

Fourth book comes out in January so you don't have to wait as long, your lucky.

Gonna switch up real quick because there’s a short Wonder Woman novel I wanna read, but then it’s back to it. Almost went to a panel with the author yesterday at Comic Con, actually.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,888

Post#202 » by matchman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 am

semjazy wrote:
matchman wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Another book I have loaded.

How do you like it so far?

I think it's decent, but I do not quite expect the book's purpose is to reflect to the current regime.

Maybe no in US, but as a polish guy I find this book scary accurate.

This book just show how populism works and what to do to not become cynical about that. There is nothing new or mind blowing but it's good reed to remember yourself how fragile libral democracy is.

As a human being in Hong Kong, where under British and now Chinese rule, we are yet to taste true democracy, but only partial freedom at the moment. It is always a reminder to realize wgat a tyranny may treat you and the propaganda that they may use.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
Drazen8
Sophomore
And1: 126

Post#203 » by Drazen8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#204 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 am

I just finished Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo. It's a different take on Wonder Woman and her first trip to the US - not amazing, but good to very good. I really enjoyed the ending, even if it felt rushed at one time near the end.

Going to go back to the Red Rising series and read the second book tonight. Very excited.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#205 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:19 am

The Resolution for Men
1 John 2 : 15-17
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,169

Post#206 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:09 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I’m between series and having a hard time finding something to read. I’ve always been a fantasy reader (was an early member on the GRRM forum in the late 90s), read all off the wild card series, everything Bernard Cornwell has written, really enjoyed everything by Steve Rinella (hunter, meat eater fame). I went on a horror kick a few years ago and read about 50 horror books.

What type of book are you looking for?

Check out AG Riddle. He's got things from sci-fi to horror. I read I think 5(?) of his books and I've loved every one. Red Rising (the book BR7 and MP suggested I read) is also amazing.

For fantasy, Henry Cavill is reading The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) and I might be reading that when I'm done with my current list of books to read. It's got solid reviews.

I’m going to check out Red Rising

My ATF Trilogy. Really looking forward to the upcoming movie as well. I've got high hopes since the author himself is co-writing the script. This franchise has tremendous potential, if done properly.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#207 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm reading "The Complete 1950's Pulp Smut Collection" I'd pass along some author's names, but I figure they're all pseudonyms.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#208 » by Nostrand Ave » Sun Nov 5, 2017 11:59 pm

Oh goodie, my thread.

Currently I'm reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. I'm going to need some cliff notes to supplement my reading though.

Also, I'm glad I gave up on reading self help books (not sure I would consider TF&S a self help book). It's a complete waste of money. It's better to read the summaries or watch the youtube videos on it. Self help books that are 200 pages long could be condensed to 20 pages max. Nowadays, I'm more interested in fiction and classics.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#209 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 12:06 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
What type of book are you looking for?

Check out AG Riddle. He's got things from sci-fi to horror. I read I think 5(?) of his books and I've loved every one. Red Rising (the book BR7 and MP suggested I read) is also amazing.

For fantasy, Henry Cavill is reading The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) and I might be reading that when I'm done with my current list of books to read. It's got solid reviews.

I’m going to check out Red Rising

My ATF Trilogy. Really looking forward to the upcoming movie as well. I've got high hopes since the author himself is co-writing the script. This franchise has tremendous potential, if done properly.

Read the first book at the recommendation of a few posters here and I loved it. Didn't think the second book could be any better. Well...I'm about 1/2 done with the second one, and if it's not better it's at least the same level.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,951

Post#210 » by Stannis » Mon Nov 6, 2017 9:04 am

Meet Me in the Bathroom by Lizzie Goodman. It's named after my favorite song, Meet In the Bathroom by the Strokes. :)

Anyway, so far it's pretty good. The book just gives a long oral history of the post-9/11 rock scene in New York. It's got a lot of members from indie bands giving input. Lot of cool stories in here, especially if you liked this genre of music.
Free Palestine
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#211 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Finished the Red Rising series and preordered Iron Gold. Honestly, this is the best series I’ve ever read.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#212 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:27 pm

I read the first 50 pages of Red Rising and had to call it quits. I tried. I handed it to my wife to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, she read the first 25 pages or so. The author is a terrible writer. If anyone wants to know why creative writers are taught "show, don't tell", this book is a primo example. Many at Good Reads share my sentiment. Maybe he improves later in the book? I'm sure the story is good and I'll check out the movie(s) when they drop but the prose in that book made my brain hurt. I also did not know that Red Rising was "sorta YA", I was surprised to find it in that section at my library.

I've been going through some classics lately. East of Eden by Steinbeck (I was worried this would be a bear but I enjoyed it, despite the weird dialogue) and Native Son by Richard Wright. Also read Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. She isn't a strong writer either but the story was interesting enough. Re-read Hitchhiker's Guide the other weekend - such a silly book.

I never read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy, borrowing them from a buddy tomorrow. Figured I'd finally read them after The Last Jedi left such a bad taste in my mouth. Should be quick & easy reads.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#213 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:I read the first 50 pages of Red Rising and had to call it quits. I tried. I handed it to my wife to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, she read the first 25 pages or so. The author is a terrible writer. If anyone wants to know why creative writers are taught "show, don't tell", this book is a primo example. Many at Good Reads share my sentiment. Maybe he improves later in the book? I'm sure the story is good and I'll check out the movie(s) when they drop but the prose in that book made my brain hurt. I also did not know that Red Rising was "sorta YA", I was surprised to find it in that section at my library.

I've been going through some classics lately. East of Eden by Steinbeck (I was worried this would be a bear but I enjoyed it, despite the weird dialogue) and Native Son by Richard Wright. Also read Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. She isn't a strong writer either but the story was interesting enough. Re-read Hitchhiker's Guide the other weekend - such a silly book.

I never read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy, borrowing them from a buddy tomorrow. Figured I'd finally read them after The Last Jedi left such a bad taste in my mouth. Should be quick & easy reads.

The first bit of the series got off to a slow start, but then it picks up. Give it a rest and maybe try it again? I’m hoping they scrap the movie plans and make it into a TB series. I feel like it’s much better suited for that, especially if HBO/Starz makes it.

I’m actually reading the Old Republic Series until the IronGold comes out.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#214 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I don't mind books that start slow, I can live with it as long as there's a payoff. But my lord...SO.MUCH.TELLING.

I flipped through the latter part of the book and it didn't look like the author changed his style. I'm not a book snob either. It must be an amazing story to earn so much praise.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#215 » by Meat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:06 pm

I just did the nix and americanah. just started the southern reach trilogy.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#216 » by DrKnick » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 pm

"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville.

500-pages of whaling bulls...
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#217 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:56 pm

reading IRS 590-A & 590-B

Good stuff. Doubt they turn it into a movie though

I have no idea how you guys have time to read books. Between work, kids, working out, house maintenance and all the TV shows I want to watch plus sports, I barely have time.

Or maybe I just spend too much time on this board :dontknow:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#218 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:20 am

Facebook
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#219 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:36 am

SmoothLefty21 wrote:I don't mind books that start slow, I can live with it as long as there's a payoff. But my lord...SO.MUCH.TELLING.

I flipped through the latter part of the book and it didn't look like the author changed his style. I'm not a book snob either. It must be an amazing story to earn so much praise.

Telling that leads nowhere, there's enough twist and turns to keep you thoroughly entertained. At the end of the day it's subjective, but the first book hits a stride in which you want to keep reading until the book is done.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#220 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 am

MP, you saw he's releasing a book in Jan and in September?

(Spoiler for third book below)

Spoiler:
That scene where he's reminiscing with Cassius after Cassius has been captured is an awesome scene. That's one of my favorite chapters in the series so far. Also, the ending from Cassius before he leaves..."Thank you...brother." I love how human Darrow is and how Cassius was able to respect Darrow in the end.

Return to New York Knicks