ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#321 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#322 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 am

IRON GOLD HAS ARRIVED!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#323 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:IRON GOLD HAS ARRIVED!

600 pages... this some BS. :lol: Hate me some hardcover books.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#324 » by DrKnick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Image

Warren Buffet, is that you?
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#325 » by NYKAL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:IRON GOLD HAS ARRIVED!

picking up that and The Core today :) :) :) :)

Patrick Rothfuss is the next George RR Martin
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#326 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 2, 2018 1:39 am

Sooooooo we talk about it yet? :lol:
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,616

Post#327 » by KingDavid » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:09 am

Ignitowsky wrote:Just finished Mistborn, The Final Empire. About to start the second, which I think is called The Well of Ascention.

I finished The Way of Kings and halfway through Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Damn good books, imo. Never tried this genre before either and I love it so far.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#328 » by DOT » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:14 am

KingDavid wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:Just finished Mistborn, The Final Empire. About to start the second, which I think is called The Well of Ascention.

I finished The Way of Kings and halfway through Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Damn good books, imo. Never tried this genre before either and I love it so far.

I love everything Brandon Sanderson

It's kinda cool, pretty much every book he's written takes place in the same universe, and every one has a different type of magic. I'd definitely recommend you check out his other work if you like the Stormlight Archives
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,048

Post#329 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:37 am

K-DOT wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

I love everything Brandon Sanderson

It's kinda cool, pretty much every book he's written takes place in the same universe, and every one has a different type of magic. I'd definitely recommend you check out his other work if you like the Stormlight Archives

Sounds like Xanth from the Piers Anthony series I read as a kid. There was a lot of books in that series. I loved those books back then. Hard to believe that was over 30-35 years ago.
:beer: RIP mags
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#330 » by Jose7 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:49 am

Think and grow rich
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#331 » by don't panac » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:51 am

a lot of interesting suggestions, although i already read many of them (i read a lot)
in the last 2-3 years, amongst of the ones mentioned recently in the thread, i liked:

- the count of montecristo, by Alexandre Dumas, great, massive classic novel.
I highly recommend to then read 'The black count', by Tom Reiss, about Dumas's father, the mulatto son of a french noble and a caribbean black slave, hero of the french revolution, general in napoleon's army. great stuff.

- mistborn trilogy, R. Sanderson, possibly the best magic system in fantasy. absolutely worth the read, i liked most of Sanderson's books, and the following mistborn books are also good. he is fantastic in world-building, but does tend to go verbose. but at least he is productive and finishes the series he starts (still waiting for Song of ice and fire book 6 FFS)
Recently read also the first two books of the Stormlight archives, another great world-building effort, but not as creative as mistborn (although somewhat connected in his 'cosmere'), will get oathbringer soon.

- Red Rising trilogy. i liked them although they are a bit on YA territory. in fact, i got them from my son. will pick up iron Gold next week for him, then i will read it. much better than hunger games, and they sustain the quality/innovation through the series (first hunger game is excellent, second ok but rEpetitive, third terrible)
If you liked this ones, i think you might like the Silo series (wool, shift, dust) which is very different but somewhat reminds me of it. and it is in my opinion better than red rising

- The Lies of Locke Lamora, and the Gentlemen Bastards series. loved these ones, especially the first one. Assassin Creed meets Ocean's Eleven in a fantasy setting. must read

- Ready Player One. Masterpiece. especially if you were a nerd in the 80s.... Read it before the movie comes out.

- Three bodies problem trilogy. unfortunately i cannot read it in chinese, but it is a superb, mature, complex sci-fi.

- the martian. loved it. funny hard scifi is an uncommon combo, but it works here.
Saturn's Run, by john Sandford, somewhat goes along those lines

Recently read:
- Moonglow, by Michael Chabon. a biopic about his grandfather. very different from Kavalier and Clay or Yddish policeman union, but equally enjoyable with some very surprising bits
- Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. bizarre and fascinating book about a magical London underground world. one of Gaiman's best, IMO
- Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders; strange, complex book, not as good as i was expecting (or the raving reviews suggested), but worth the read

just finished:
- the rise and fall of DODO, Neal Stephenson. great time travel/magic premise, disappointing execution. not his best.
read cryptonomicon (fantastic book), snowcrash, anathem, seveneven instead.

currently reading:
- A gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles. the story of a former noble gentleman at house arrest in a hotel in soviet russia.
what a remarkable book. beautifully written, great characters, great atmospheres.
i will probably pick up his previous book (rules of civility), and will re-read Bulgakov's The master and Margarita, which has some overlaps in location and themes
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#332 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 11:50 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Sooooooo we talk about it yet? :lol:

Still have 1/3 left. :-? Been a busy month for me.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#333 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:25 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:Sooooooo we talk about it yet? :lol:

Still have 1/3 left. :-? Been a busy month for me.

I been busy and finished it, no excuses!!!!
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#334 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:26 am

don't panac wrote:a lot of interesting suggestions, although i already read many of them (i read a lot)
in the last 2-3 years, amongst of the ones mentioned recently in the thread, i liked:

- the count of montecristo, by Alexandre Dumas, great, massive classic novel.
I highly recommend to then read 'The black count', by Tom Reiss, about Dumas's father, the mulatto son of a french noble and a caribbean black slave, hero of the french revolution, general in napoleon's army. great stuff.

- mistborn trilogy, R. Sanderson, possibly the best magic system in fantasy. absolutely worth the read, i liked most of Sanderson's books, and the following mistborn books are also good. he is fantastic in world-building, but does tend to go verbose. but at least he is productive and finishes the series he starts (still waiting for Song of ice and fire book 6 FFS)
Recently read also the first two books of the Stormlight archives, another great world-building effort, but not as creative as mistborn (although somewhat connected in his 'cosmere'), will get oathbringer soon.

- Red Rising trilogy. i liked them although they are a bit on YA territory. in fact, i got them from my son. will pick up iron Gold next week for him, then i will read it. much better than hunger games, and they sustain the quality/innovation through the series (first hunger game is excellent, second ok but rEpetitive, third terrible)
If you liked this ones, i think you might like the Silo series (wool, shift, dust) which is very different but somewhat reminds me of it. and it is in my opinion better than red rising

- The Lies of Locke Lamora, and the Gentlemen Bastards series. loved these ones, especially the first one. Assassin Creed meets Ocean's Eleven in a fantasy setting. must read

- Ready Player One. Masterpiece. especially if you were a nerd in the 80s.... Read it before the movie comes out.

- Three bodies problem trilogy. unfortunately i cannot read it in chinese, but it is a superb, mature, complex sci-fi.

- the martian. loved it. funny hard scifi is an uncommon combo, but it works here.
Saturn's Run, by john Sandford, somewhat goes along those lines

Recently read:
- Moonglow, by Michael Chabon. a biopic about his grandfather. very different from Kavalier and Clay or Yddish policeman union, but equally enjoyable with some very surprising bits
- Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. bizarre and fascinating book about a magical London underground world. one of Gaiman's best, IMO
- Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders; strange, complex book, not as good as i was expecting (or the raving reviews suggested), but worth the read

just finished:
- the rise and fall of DODO, Neal Stephenson. great time travel/magic premise, disappointing execution. not his best.
read cryptonomicon (fantastic book), snowcrash, anathem, seveneven instead.

currently reading:
- A gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles. the story of a former noble gentleman at house arrest in a hotel in soviet russia.
what a remarkable book. beautifully written, great characters, great atmospheres.
i will probably pick up his previous book (rules of civility), and will re-read Bulgakov's The master and Margarita, which has some overlaps in location and themes

I have these in my house, but I gotta finish the Sprawl trilogy first.
Totally agree on Ready Player One, it's a classic. I didn't even mind Armada, even though it wasn't as good.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 639

Post#335 » by Galou » Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:52 am

Cool thread!

Currently I've been reading
2 books.

"The Secret Teachings of All Ages"
Manly P. Hall

&

"Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy"
Simon Blackburn
F$+*k the Nets.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#336 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:27 pm

Currently reading "A Beginners Guide To Cock And Ball Torture"

Figures it goes well with my Knick fan hobby.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#337 » by Ignitowsky » Sat Feb 3, 2018 3:20 pm

I just finished mistborn 3 the hero of Ages. For those who have read the trilogy, do you think it's worth moving on to the next four books In the mistborn series? I'm thinking of starting alloy of law or there the robin Hobb book, Assassin's Apprentice
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#338 » by Ignitowsky » Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:45 pm

This post will contain spoilers for the first three books in the Mistborn series. If you haven't read them, especially Hero Of Ages, you should stop reading now.

While I liked the first three books, I'm not sure if I like them enough to continue with the next 3 and then eventually the 7th and last book when it's published. Having everyone that I cared about not present in the next books is kind of a turn-off. I've also been told by my nephew that the fourth book at least is essentially Cowboys and allomancers. That doesn't sound particularly intriguing, although I must say that my favorite book in The Dark Tower series was Wizard and glass which was essentially a cowboy story in great part.

So my question is, would any of you recommend continuing the series? I want to read The Assassin's Apprentice, The Name of the Wind, and The Lies of Locke Lamora, all of which I already own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#339 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:27 am

Ignitowsky wrote:I just finished mistborn 3 the hero of Ages. For those who have read the trilogy, do you think it's worth moving on to the next four books In the mistborn series? I'm thinking of starting alloy of law or there the robin Hobb book, Assassin's Apprentice

I liked those, and the world and the story is very cool, but at some point (4 books in?) I started to get impatient to get to the end of the riddle in the story. That could be me, I know I'd recommend at least the first 3 books and then see how you feel.

I read the 6th book out of order (I won't explain how that is possible, it's a bit of spoiler) ahead of the 5th and it pissed me off and I never went back and read the 5th book.

Mistborn I've been meaning to read; I've had it que'd up forever but I keep reading other stuff first.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#340 » by Fat Kat » Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:34 am

Just came today. Gonna start it next week.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks