ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,227

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#341 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:36 am

Ignitowsky wrote:This post will contain spoilers for the first three books in the Mistborn series. If you haven't read them, especially Hero Of Ages, you should stop reading now.

While I liked the first three books, I'm not sure if I like them enough to continue with the next 3 and then eventually the 7th and last book when it's published. Having everyone that I cared about not present in the next books is kind of a turn-off. I've also been told by my nephew that the fourth book at least is essentially Cowboys and allomancers. That doesn't sound particularly intriguing, although I must say that my favorite book in The Dark Tower series was Wizard and glass which was essentially a cowboy story in great part.

So my question is, would any of you recommend continuing the series? I want to read The Assassin's Apprentice, The Name of the Wind, and The Lies of Locke Lamora, all of which I already own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, what is hilarious is I didn't see you had the same reaction to Mistborn that I had to "The Fool" series. :D I posted before I read this, seriously.

Anyway, I liked Assassins Apprentice a lot and really liked at least the first 3 books and I'm fuzzy on liking the rest, but I got a little bored but stuck it out, well, until I read a book in the series out of order. I'd read this before "wind" and "Lies" because both of those series have authors who can't deliver on the final books (yes, I've been waiting a while)

In order read:
Assassins - you can get to the end if you want too, which is why I recommend it first. And it's good.

Lies of Locke Lamora - I like this series. Sometimes it feels geared towards advanced teenagers, but I enjoyed it. I felt it lost steam a little bit by the 3rd book, first two are good. There is a 4th that's been delayed for a while because the author had a breakdown or something

The Name of the Wind + Wise Man's Fear (yes, you'll get the 2nd book if you read the first) I really liked a lot. The story on a simple level is really fun and it's symbolically dense and that is fun too. And then you'll want to read the 3rd book and realize there are people who have been waiting 7 years for it.

Dawn of Wonder is a good book too
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#342 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:12 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:This post will contain spoilers for the first three books in the Mistborn series. If you haven't read them, especially Hero Of Ages, you should stop reading now.

While I liked the first three books, I'm not sure if I like them enough to continue with the next 3 and then eventually the 7th and last book when it's published. Having everyone that I cared about not present in the next books is kind of a turn-off. I've also been told by my nephew that the fourth book at least is essentially Cowboys and allomancers. That doesn't sound particularly intriguing, although I must say that my favorite book in The Dark Tower series was Wizard and glass which was essentially a cowboy story in great part.

So my question is, would any of you recommend continuing the series? I want to read The Assassin's Apprentice, The Name of the Wind, and The Lies of Locke Lamora, all of which I already own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, what is hilarious is I didn't see you had the same reaction to Mistborn that I had to "The Fool" series. :D I posted before I read this, seriously.

Anyway, I liked Assassins Apprentice a lot and really liked at least the first 3 books and I'm fuzzy on liking the rest, but I got a little bored but stuck it out, well, until I read a book in the series out of order. I'd read this before "wind" and "Lies" because both of those series have authors who can't deliver on the final books (yes, I've been waiting a while)

In order read:
Assassins - you can get to the end if you want too, which is why I recommend it first. And it's good.

Lies of Locke Lamora - I like this series. Sometimes it feels geared towards advanced teenagers, but I enjoyed it. I felt it lost steam a little bit by the 3rd book, first two are good. There is a 4th that's been delayed for a while because the author had a breakdown or something

The Name of the Wind + Wise Man's Fear (yes, you'll get the 2nd book if you read the first) I really liked a lot. The story on a simple level is really fun and it's symbolically dense and that is fun too. And then you'll want to read the 3rd book and realize there are people who have been waiting 7 years for it.

Dawn of Wonder is a good book too

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll read Alloy of Law and then either finish the other two or move on to the other books in the order you suggested.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#343 » by TheBigBoss » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:58 am

"How to Romance a Woman" by Harvey Weinstein - Pretty good book! I am planning to try these techniques at work.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#344 » by DOT » Tue Feb 6, 2018 1:42 am

Just finished reading Golden Son, and God damn. I knew something big was coming, but whew

Definitely have to finish the series now, I'm hooked
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#345 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 1:44 am

K-DOT wrote:Just finished reading Golden Son, and God damn. I knew something big was coming, but whew

Definitely have to finish the series now, I'm hooked

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. KEEP IT GOING. Read Morning Star now and then Iron Gold - I'll be finishing IG this week. MP, we can talk soon don't worry.
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#346 » by don't panac » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:11 pm

i liked the mist born' follow-ups. the western/pre-industrial setting works and make an interesting change from the original trilogy (which i liked more,but it also was a more 'natural' magical setting.
Ian curious toseeif he continues and brings the 'magic' in the fully modern world in the next iteration (which i believe was the original intention)

The lies of Locke Lamora is a great book, then it goes down a bit. still planning to read the 'thorn' if and when it comes out.

I haven't read the Assassin Apprentice or the name of the wind, but i heard them mentioned a lot, so i guess i will bite at some point.

Another series that some of you might like a lot is The Blade Itself and the other First Law books, including all the standalone novels.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#347 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:39 am

don't panac wrote:

i liked the mist born' follow-ups. the western/pre-industrial setting works and make an interesting change from the original trilogy (which i liked more,but it also was a more 'natural' magical setting.
Ian curious toseeif he continues and brings the 'magic' in the fully modern world in the next iteration (which i believe was the original intention)

The lies of Locke Lamora is a great book, then it goes down a bit. still planning to read the 'thorn' if and when it comes out.

I haven't read the Assassin Apprentice or the name of the wind, but i heard them mentioned a lot, so i guess i will bite at some point.

Another series that some of you might like a lot is The Blade Itself and the other First Law books, including all the standalone novels.

Read "Assassin" and "Name". They are better than Locke, and I liked that book.
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#348 » by don't panac » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:31 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
don't panac wrote:

Read "Assassin" and "Name". They are better than Locke, and I liked that book.

ok then, i will queue them up at my library :)
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#349 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:.

I finished. What the **** happened?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#350 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Spoiler:
In typical Red Rising fashion, always expect the worse to happen.The Reaper that we once knew that we all loved is now replaced with a Reaper whose drunk on his own myth, flying awfully close to the Sun right now. He's all alone and convinced he's the only one that can bring this war to an end, needless to say nobody knows what's about to happen.

The rift between Darrow and Servo was inevitable, sucks that it happened. Howlers are essentially no more, someone snitched and it's a ragtag group now.
The accidental killing of Wulfgar is going to have a chain reaction probably seen throughout the rest of the series.
Didn't care for Lyria at all, though I understand how it all tied together.
Teaming up with Appolonious was sort of hysterical, probably the only person that's crazier than Servo.

Big questions:
- What's up with Sefi? Completely quiet throughout the book, is she about to make it a four way war? It would be tacky if she was the leader of the syndicate. There's an interesting theory that I've heard regarding her and Tonguless.
- Like most, I don't believe that Cassius is actually dead just because of how it all played out. Not to mention Seraphina even though she was a Peerless Scarred seemed to survive the same type of injuries as Cassius.
- What's up with Lysander? We all knew that letting him live was going to be a mistake at some point, but now he's got the Raa armies. In theory he's cunning, he was raised to be a leader so what's his plan long term?
- The syndicate Queen, Atalantia, Seraphina/Dido/Lysander, Sefi... Mustang to have a huge role next book? It's a female clash of powers it seems. Victra is always a wildcard.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#351 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm

How Democracies Die is a pretty good book. I think they are trying a little too hard about to draw the parallel to Trump but there is some good US history in there that doesn't always get brought up, plus of course the other instances of Democracy truly having failed, both recent and in history.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#352 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Spoiler:
In typical Red Rising fashion, always expect the worse to happen.The Reaper that we once knew that we all loved is now replaced with a Reaper whose drunk on his own myth, flying awfully close to the Sun right now. He's all alone and convinced he's the only one that can bring this war to an end, needless to say nobody knows what's about to happen.

The rift between Darrow and Servo was inevitable, sucks that it happened. Howlers are essentially no more, someone snitched and it's a ragtag group now.
The accidental killing of Wulfgar is going to have a chain reaction probably seen throughout the rest of the series.
Didn't care for Lyria at all, though I understand how it all tied together.
Teaming up with Appolonious was sort of hysterical, probably the only person that's crazier than Servo.

Big questions:
- What's up with Sefi? Completely quiet throughout the book, is she about to make it a four way war? It would be tacky if she was the leader of the syndicate. There's an interesting theory that I've heard regarding her and Tonguless.
- Like most, I don't believe that Cassius is actually dead just because of how it all played out. Not to mention Seraphina even though she was a Peerless Scarred seemed to survive the same type of injuries as Cassius.
- What's up with Lysander? We all knew that letting him live was going to be a mistake at some point, but now he's got the Raa armies. In theory he's cunning, he was raised to be a leader so what's his plan long term?
- The syndicate Queen, Atalantia, Seraphina/Dido/Lysander, Sefi... Mustang to have a huge role next book? It's a female clash of powers it seems. Victra is always a wildcard.

Spoiler:
I don't want to wait until the fall for the next book. :-? Looking forward to the prequel comics, though.

Anyways, holy ****. So, right off the bat I think Sefi is the Queen. Her being too quiet, not voting, and just the immense power (and the threatening / plain tone the queen had in the end when talking to Ephraim, it just made me think its her. What theory are you talking about though? I can't see Victra doing it. Not after being so close with Mustang and Darrow.

- I thought Cassius' death scene was super sad and powerful, but one of the best chapters I've read in any book. It was so true to the character with him dying like that. I thought part of the reason why he died and Seraphina didn't was because of how tired he was fighting time after time with no rest. He was just a prisoner and had his face all kinds of **** up too AND was way skinner than he usually is. That chapter though was perfect.
- I LOVED Darrow becoming the Reaper once again by removing the necklace / key. I thought that was kind of cool. Sad, of course, but cool.
- I'm fully expecting Darrow to come back to Apollonius for aid in the next book. Not taking Sevro's place, but I think he'll need allies and seeing as Apollonius hates the Ash King's family, I think it makes sense. He's such a smug POS, but I love his craziness. I picture some massive overly strong Kavax type character just singing on the battlefield swaying from side to side enjoying himself while getting spattered with blood. :lol:
- The chapter with "Phillipe" / Ephraim and Lyria I thought was also really nicely done. I thought both characters were fine, but they weren't my favorite parts of the book.
- The Mustang scenes with Lyria were nice, and I like Pax as a potential future character. I'm curious how he ends up developing in the next book(s?).
- Romulus' death was also fitting. I was really pushing for him to make it the full 80 steps and was sad when he didn't.
- Sevro and Darow's split was sad, but after the scene with them arguing, you knew it was going to come. Now I want to know what the repercussions are of this. Sevro's crazy was a great balance to Darrow's calculated nature - made him unpredictable. He doesn't have that anymore, which is why I think he'll "need" Apollonius.
- I think the end of it kind of shows that Darrow realizes his humanity and he's not a god. Maybe beforehand he was leaning towards that Icarus type ending, but I hope not anymore.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyways, holy ****. So, right off the bat I think Sefi is the Queen. Her being too quiet, not voting, and just the immense power (and the threatening / plain tone the queen had in the end when talking to Ephraim, it just made me think its her. What theory are you talking about though? I can't see Victra doing it. Not after being so close with Mustang and Darrow.

- I thought Cassius' death scene was super sad and powerful, but one of the best chapters I've read in any book. It was so true to the character with him dying like that. I thought part of the reason why he died and Seraphina didn't was because of how tired he was fighting time after time with no rest. He was just a prisoner and had his face all kinds of **** up too AND was way skinner than he usually is. That chapter though was perfect.
- I LOVED Darrow becoming the Reaper once again by removing the necklace / key. I thought that was kind of cool. Sad, of course, but cool.
- I'm fully expecting Darrow to come back to Apollonius for aid in the next book. Not taking Sevro's place, but I think he'll need allies and seeing as Apollonius hates the Ash King's family, I think it makes sense. He's such a smug POS, but I love his craziness. I picture some massive overly strong Kavax type character just singing on the battlefield swaying from side to side enjoying himself while getting spattered with blood. :lol:
- The chapter with "Phillipe" / Ephraim and Lyria I thought was also really nicely done. I thought both characters were fine, but they weren't my favorite parts of the book.
- The Mustang scenes with Lyria were nice, and I like Pax as a potential future character. I'm curious how he ends up developing in the next book(s?).
- Romulus' death was also fitting. I was really pushing for him to make it the full 80 steps and was sad when he didn't.
- Sevro and Darow's split was sad, but after the scene with them arguing, you knew it was going to come. Now I want to know what the repercussions are of this. Sevro's crazy was a great balance to Darrow's calculated nature - made him unpredictable. He doesn't have that anymore, which is why I think he'll "need" Apollonius.
- I think the end of it kind of shows that Darrow realizes his humanity and he's not a god. Maybe beforehand he was leaning towards that Icarus type ending, but I hope not anymore.

Spoiler:
I've read stuff from he's Ascomanni, to him potentially being Ragnar's/Sefi's dad to Sefi cutting out his tongue and sending him to deepgrave. Remember she rose to power in Morning Star, maybe he was just an obstacle in her way. Either way it's interesting food for thought because he is an interesting character from out of the blue.

My only beef with Sefi being the Queen is that all the signs point to her being the Queen. The Queen is rumored to be Obsidian, the holo tape that featured Sefi, Sefi was a hollower and there was an inside man. It all points to her and it would be lazy to make it her. Now maybe if it was the Valkyries making a move on her, that would be more interesting to me.

I don't think Cassius is dead, by not allowing Lysander to see the body means he's alive in my book. He's to great of a warrior to cast aside in the upcoming war, make him submit and join your side. Lysander could probably convince him to. You literally just watched him murder generations of your family in front of your eyes. I take the TV approach, if there's no body, he's alive.

Yeah the Minotaur isn't done, not by a long stretch. The fact that he didn't kill Darrow when he had the chance to me shows that he's going to be sticking around for a while before he turns on Darrow again. It's actually impressive that the book made him seem overpowered, could've bested Darrow.

I might reread the book and just skip the Lyria chapters. Aside from giving up a little insight to the Telemanuses, she really had no use to me up until she was captured. Me personally I don't care about the ramifications the rising had on the smaller red colonies.

Pax was cool, but Electra stole the scenes :lol: She got some crazy ass parents and her psyche on the battlefield looks like it could be a problem on day.

I don't know why, but in my mind I pictured Romulus as Jeff Goldlum in my head, don't know why. Yeah he was completely defeated in this book, was glad to see Dido being his downfall after his plan failed.

Once Servo realizes that his daughter was taken and potentially will still be missing in the next book, I just picture him and Victra teaming up and just taking names until Electra and Pax are taken back. You almost thought that Victra's plea to Darrow would've convinced him to try and leave Servo behind, but his response was perfect, Servo would've just followed.

I guess the question is, can you finish this trilogy without Darrow? Maybe Pax becomes the main character in the third book, but I don't see that happening.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#354 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I've read stuff from he's Ascomanni, to him potentially being Ragnar's/Sefi's dad to Sefi cutting out his tongue and sending him to deepgrave. Remember she rose to power in Morning Star, maybe he was just an obstacle in her way. Either way it's interesting food for thought because he is an interesting character from out of the blue.

My only beef with Sefi being the Queen is that all the signs point to her being the Queen. The Queen is rumored to be Obsidian, the holo tape that featured Sefi, Sefi was a hollower and there was an inside man. It all points to her and it would be lazy to make it her. Now maybe if it was the Valkyries making a move on her, that would be more interesting to me.

I don't think Cassius is dead, by not allowing Lysander to see the body means he's alive in my book. He's to great of a warrior to cast aside in the upcoming war, make him submit and join your side. Lysander could probably convince him to. You literally just watched him murder generations of your family in front of your eyes. I take the TV approach, if there's no body, he's alive.

Yeah the Minotaur isn't done, not by a long stretch. The fact that he didn't kill Darrow when he had the chance to me shows that he's going to be sticking around for a while before he turns on Darrow again. It's actually impressive that the book made him seem overpowered, could've bested Darrow.

I might reread the book and just skip the Lyria chapters. Aside from giving up a little insight to the Telemanuses, she really had no use to me up until she was captured. Me personally I don't care about the ramifications the rising had on the smaller red colonies.

Pax was cool, but Electra stole the scenes :lol: She got some crazy ass parents and her psyche on the battlefield looks like it could be a problem on day.

I don't know why, but in my mind I pictured Romulus as Jeff Goldlum in my head, don't know why. Yeah he was completely defeated in this book, was glad to see Dido being his downfall after his plan failed.

Once Servo realizes that his daughter was taken and potentially will still be missing in the next book, I just picture him and Victra teaming up and just taking names until Electra and Pax are taken back. You almost thought that Victra's plea to Darrow would've convinced him to try and leave Servo behind, but his response was perfect, Servo would've just followed.

I guess the question is, can you finish this trilogy without Darrow? Maybe Pax becomes the main character in the third book, but I don't see that happening.

Spoiler:
I actually spent some time on Red Rising's Reddit after reading the book, and there seem to be a bunch of people who think he's not just some random character. I think it'd be cool if he had some claim to Sefi's throne, just because it'd lead to another divide. IF Sefi is the queen, the divide could help Darrow. If he doesn't have some claim, he definitely has some relation to Sefi. It seems too random otherwise, right? Having him be Ragnar's dad would be awesome though. I miss Ragnar and the bold sentences. Just reading those in a booming voice is awesome. Talk about a character coming a long way - remember he was afraid to hold the razor in the beginning?

I didn't even think of the possibility that he'd still be alive and they just hid the body. I guess it would fit them not wanting to show Lysander that he's alive because Cassius wanted to keep the peace - they might have been afraid of Lysander turning them back again and knew this was a way to get him to turn. But man...that scene...

I'm thinking Darrow ends up asking Apollonius for help, again, to Sevro's dismay. I don't think he'd do it on purpose, BUT if Sefi is the Queen and knowing that war(s) are coming, he'll need all of the help he can get. He's going to be getting attacked from all angles in next book. I want to get more into his head, though. Like, what is he actually thinking as he's on the battle field and teaming up with Darrow? I can only imagine that it's similar to Ledger's Joker's thoughts - like, nonstop crazy, million miles an hour type deal.

Electra is going to be NUTS in the future. Brown did an awesome job at merging Vectra/Sevro's character. I'm reallllllly curious to see where Pax goes though. He has his mom's demeanor and I can see shades of Darrow, but that's really it. I really have no idea how he'll be in the future. In some ways, he reminds me of young-innocent Lysander (before this book) - has an aura of goodness around him.

I think Lyria ends up dying in the next book. Not really sure what this is based on, but I think it. :lol:

I hope they finish it with Darrow. I want him to see the world he envisioned he'd be creating. If I had to bet, it'd be him winning in the end...but suffering a severe wound and dying in the waning moments of the final book. I guess Pax could carry the mantle simply because we don't know what kind of character he'd be, but just from the little we've seen, I see way more Mustang than Darrow. The whole thing was Darrow's battle...it'd be kind of sad to see it end without him.

My GF just started reading it and is up to the part where Eo dies. I told her it started off slow and there might be another 15-20 pages of slowness, but then it picks up. Quickly. And doesn't give up until the trilogy ends. (I thought Iron Gold started off slowly then picked up again.) My dad might read it after and I'm hoping one of my sister's does as well.

If he's at NYCC next year, I'm definitely going to his panel.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#355 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 am

Read Batman Nightwalker after Iron Gold and finished up a Star Wars KOTOR book. Now I'm reading the Altered Carbon series. Thought the show was great, so figured I should give the books a go.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:
I actually spent some time on Red Rising's Reddit after reading the book, and there seem to be a bunch of people who think he's not just some random character. I think it'd be cool if he had some claim to Sefi's throne, just because it'd lead to another divide. IF Sefi is the queen, the divide could help Darrow. If he doesn't have some claim, he definitely has some relation to Sefi. It seems too random otherwise, right? Having him be Ragnar's dad would be awesome though. I miss Ragnar and the bold sentences. Just reading those in a booming voice is awesome. Talk about a character coming a long way - remember he was afraid to hold the razor in the beginning?

I didn't even think of the possibility that he'd still be alive and they just hid the body. I guess it would fit them not wanting to show Lysander that he's alive because Cassius wanted to keep the peace - they might have been afraid of Lysander turning them back again and knew this was a way to get him to turn. But man...that scene...

I'm thinking Darrow ends up asking Apollonius for help, again, to Sevro's dismay. I don't think he'd do it on purpose, BUT if Sefi is the Queen and knowing that war(s) are coming, he'll need all of the help he can get. He's going to be getting attacked from all angles in next book. I want to get more into his head, though. Like, what is he actually thinking as he's on the battle field and teaming up with Darrow? I can only imagine that it's similar to Ledger's Joker's thoughts - like, nonstop crazy, million miles an hour type deal.

Electra is going to be NUTS in the future. Brown did an awesome job at merging Vectra/Sevro's character. I'm reallllllly curious to see where Pax goes though. He has his mom's demeanor and I can see shades of Darrow, but that's really it. I really have no idea how he'll be in the future. In some ways, he reminds me of young-innocent Lysander (before this book) - has an aura of goodness around him.

I think Lyria ends up dying in the next book. Not really sure what this is based on, but I think it. :lol:

I hope they finish it with Darrow. I want him to see the world he envisioned he'd be creating. If I had to bet, it'd be him winning in the end...but suffering a severe wound and dying in the waning moments of the final book. I guess Pax could carry the mantle simply because we don't know what kind of character he'd be, but just from the little we've seen, I see way more Mustang than Darrow. The whole thing was Darrow's battle...it'd be kind of sad to see it end without him.

My GF just started reading it and is up to the part where Eo dies. I told her it started off slow and there might be another 15-20 pages of slowness, but then it picks up. Quickly. And doesn't give up until the trilogy ends. (I thought Iron Gold started off slowly then picked up again.) My dad might read it after and I'm hoping one of my sister's does as well.

Spoiler:
One thing I can say for sure, being an interesting Obsidian character in this book usually leads to death. Doesn't bode well for Sefi and Tongueless.

Cassius is to good of a warrior to just discard like that, especially considering he's loyal to Lysander he could be a very key piece in the war. Similar to how he was on a war path when he find out Julian was killed in the institute exams, he could fight for a future in which Lysander is once again the heir to everything. I just don't believe in deaths when it's essentially hushed over.

I think the question with Servo is going to be, can he stomach war anymore? Obviously him going home to Victra and just wanting to get his kid, he sounded like someone who was ready to hand up his wolf cloak. I mean both Servo and Darrow have been splitting for a while now, in this last book it quite literally ended up with them going in different directions. The Minotaur came off as someone who could've beaten Darrow at Deepgrave, on the battlefield and essentially any moment he wanted to. It's going to be interesting just how reckless Darrow is going to get without the Howlers at his side.

Electra was hands down the best new character, I agree Brown did an awesome job with here. Pax was giving me Bruce Wayne vibes without actually being Batman, he seemed entitled and was going through the motions of being the son of rulers. Comparing Pax to a young Lysander, Lysander definitely was a more interesting child.

Yeah I have to agree, the only fitting way for all this to end is Darrow dying at the end. In typical Red Rising fashion he'll make it home, he'll embrace Pax and someone will assassinate the entire family. Just when you think it can't get worse, it gets worse.

Yeah if your GF gets to the institute part of the book, she'll be home free. That's when I didn't put the book down, I was enthralled by the book. I didn't care for the helldivers at all, but I wasn't going to stop because of it. The draft, Lorn, the initiation fights, the different houses... Servo. The institute is by far my favorite part of the series thus far.

You saw that Brown doesn't want a movie, but a TV series instead? That would be absolutely insane if it got picked up by HBO. Oh well, just be grateful that you don't have to wait years for the next one.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#357 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
One thing I can say for sure, being an interesting Obsidian character in this book usually leads to death. Doesn't bode well for Sefi and Tongueless.

Cassius is to good of a warrior to just discard like that, especially considering he's loyal to Lysander he could be a very key piece in the war. Similar to how he was on a war path when he find out Julian was killed in the institute exams, he could fight for a future in which Lysander is once again the heir to everything. I just don't believe in deaths when it's essentially hushed over.

I think the question with Servo is going to be, can he stomach war anymore? Obviously him going home to Victra and just wanting to get his kid, he sounded like someone who was ready to hand up his wolf cloak. I mean both Servo and Darrow have been splitting for a while now, in this last book it quite literally ended up with them going in different directions. The Minotaur came off as someone who could've beaten Darrow at Deepgrave, on the battlefield and essentially any moment he wanted to. It's going to be interesting just how reckless Darrow is going to get without the Howlers at his side.

Electra was hands down the best new character, I agree Brown did an awesome job with here. Pax was giving me Bruce Wayne vibes without actually being Batman, he seemed entitled and was going through the motions of being the son of rulers. Comparing Pax to a young Lysander, Lysander definitely was a more interesting child.

Yeah I have to agree, the only fitting way for all this to end is Darrow dying at the end. In typical Red Rising fashion he'll make it home, he'll embrace Pax and someone will assassinate the entire family. Just when you think it can't get worse, it gets worse.

Yeah if your GF gets to the institute part of the book, she'll be home free. That's when I didn't put the book down, I was enthralled by the book. I didn't care for the helldivers at all, but I wasn't going to stop because of it. The draft, Lorn, the initiation fights, the different houses... Servo. The institute is by far my favorite part of the series thus far.

You saw that Brown doesn't want a movie, but a TV series instead? That would be absolutely insane if it got picked up by HBO. Oh well, just be grateful that you don't have to wait years for the next one.

Spoiler:
Cassius comes back to help Apollonius against the war from the outside while Sevro helps the war from the inside against the Queen? You just know once Sevro finds out about his daughter he’s going nuts. Seems like small things set him off, and this is a HUGE thing. I think Darrow will need all the help he can get. I got some sort of mutual respect feeling from Darrow and Apollonius, but I do agree that Apollonius would best him.

I meant Pax is similar in his innocence. Didn’t know much about either, but both seem soft spoken and innocent. I definitely get the Bruce Wayne feeling though too. If/when(?) Darrow dies, I’m gonna be so sad. Loved everything about the character. The highs, lows, stupidity, brash nature, calculated attacks, wits, everything.

My mom stopped before Eo died. I told her it started off slow and she gave up. Trying to get her to try again. Hopefully my GF can convince her. :lol: Leading up to the institute was slow, but it started to pick up during the change. I’m not gonna let my GF stop before the institute. :lol: No way.

As for the TV, YAAAAA!!! I saw!!! Dude, I was so pumped. This is what I’ve been saying from the beginning!! Would make an OK movie because it’s an amazing story, but it’d be rushed and would be forced to leave out so much. Needs a series to fully flush everything out. Was talking with my dad a few weeks back and said it’d be as big as GOT. I need to find a way into that show. I’d make a good Darrow. :lol: Also actually told him what you said after I read the first 3 books and how you said it might suck for me waiting a couple months, but you were waiting WAY longer so I had it easy. I now understand you’re pain.

I said this before both here and to my dad and friends, but books after this just seem meh. Even shows! Travelers and Frontier were better before I got caught up in the world of Red Rising. An anime series on this (or similar) would be sick too...in addition to the live action, of course. I think I’m going to reread them after Altered Carbon - maybe not the full AC series, though.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:
As for the TV, YAAAAA!!! I saw!!! Dude, I was so pumped. This is what I’ve been saying from the beginning!! Would make an OK movie because it’s an amazing story, but it’d be rushed and would be forced to leave out so much. Needs a series to fully flush everything out. Was talking with my dad a few weeks back and said it’d be as big as GOT. I need to find a way into that show. I’d make a good Darrow. :lol: Also actually told him what you said after I read the first 3 books and how you said it might suck for me waiting a couple months, but you were waiting WAY longer so I had it easy. I now understand you’re pain.

I said this before both here and to my dad and friends, but books after this just seem meh. Even shows! Travelers and Frontier were better before I got caught up in the world of Red Rising. An anime series on this (or similar) would be sick too...in addition to the live action, of course. I think I’m going to reread them after Altered Carbon - maybe not the full AC series, though.

It's safe to say that this is your favorite series of books? I thoroughly enjoy it, obviously many people do. I think you like it even more than I do, but it's definitely up there for me. I'm amused at some of the fan art that's out there, people have some interesting takes on Servo. I wish it's HBO that gets to make it, mainly because I have the most faith in them doing it right and it would be the perfect show to replace GOT. So many interesting characters that people would fall in love with, I'd thoroughly enjoy seeing how ruthless a TV show could make the Jackal.

I'm finishing the Sprawl Trilogy at the moment and then I'm going to dive into Mistborn trilogy. If you like Altered Carbon, there are plenty of steampunk books out there that could satisfy that niche. I would say read Ready Player One before the movie comes out, probably my favorite read in quite some time.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#359 » by DOT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 am

I was a little disappointed with Iron Rain

Spoiler:
My main gripe is that I just really didn't care about Lyria and Ephraim's story that much. Like, it was cool and all, and they did eventually impact the plot as a whole, but I think it could've been done better if instead of them we got the perspective of Pax,
and have it be set 15 years after Morning Star instead of 10. Pax and Electra act like teenagers anyways (I get they're genetically engineered humans, but still it's kind of weird to remember that they're only like 9 and 10 at the time of the book), and it would actually give them something to do. Plus, we could see how Pax views Darrow from his own viewpoint instead of having Darrow tell us what he thinks Pax thinks

I fully expected Darrow to be dead by the end of it, it just seemed like a natural endpoint for him. Like, the first trilogy was his story,
then move on to Lysander's story. If y'all have read the Shattered Sea books, that's something I think they do well, is that the main character of the first book is only the main character for that book, and while he's still around for books 2 and 3, they're told through different characters, which I really liked, and we get to really see how other people see him, something which we got a little of in Lysander's chapters, but that should've been more of the story

I still enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to Dark Age, but it just kind of left me wanting

Also still waiting on Patrick Rothfuss to finish Doors of Stone. It's been so long that I'm gonna have to reread The Name of the Wind again, which I'm looking forward to, and The Wise Man's Fear, which I'm not. Seriously, it really sucks and I hate that Name of the Wind was so good that I have to finish reading the trilogy
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#360 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:53 am

K-DOT wrote:I was a little disappointed with Iron Rain

Spoiler:
My main gripe is that I just really didn't care about Lyria and Ephraim's story that much. Like, it was cool and all, and they did eventually impact the plot as a whole, but I think it could've been done better if instead of them we got the perspective of Pax,
and have it be set 15 years after Morning Star instead of 10. Pax and Electra act like teenagers anyways (I get they're genetically engineered humans, but still it's kind of weird to remember that they're only like 9 and 10 at the time of the book), and it would actually give them something to do. Plus, we could see how Pax views Darrow from his own viewpoint instead of having Darrow tell us what he thinks Pax thinks

I fully expected Darrow to be dead by the end of it, it just seemed like a natural endpoint for him. Like, the first trilogy was his story,
then move on to Lysander's story. If y'all have read the Shattered Sea books, that's something I think they do well, is that the main character of the first book is only the main character for that book, and while he's still around for books 2 and 3, they're told through different characters, which I really liked, and we get to really see how other people see him, something which we got a little of in Lysander's chapters, but that should've been more of the story

Spoiler:
I didn't mind the Ephraim story line, but I completely agree with you on Lyria, just useless filler IMO. For as important Pax and Electra are to the book and the ending of the book, we never really got much from them. Though I do suspect we will get a ton of chapters about them in the next book, well I hope we do at least. Maybe we see Servo, Victra and Electra in the same scenes in the next book with Pax continuing his mysterious brooding with Mustang.

Darrow dying is the logical finishing line for him, one thing that will be interesting to see is will Lysander have his story or will it be Pax inheriting Darrow's war and continues the fight against Lysander? I've never read the Shattered Sea books, but I've read books like that. The Ex-Heros series does a good job of juggling it's characters.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks