ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#161 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:51 am

I'm reading the Book of Love. I don't know who wrote it. I wonder sometimes.
:beer: RIP mags
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#162 » by br7knicks » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:34 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
It's amazing. I was sad in the beginning and thought it started off a little slow (before the life-changing event happened), but it's been non-stop amazing since.

I'm definitely going to read the full series. I might read Dan Brown's Origin next (depending on when I finish Red Rising), but I'm not going to go more than 1 book without reading the next in the Red Rising series.

Unless I have iI've also got to go back and read some of the Star Wars Old Republic books, but those can wait for when there's nothing I'm itching to read...unless I have a SW itch...which happens sometimes.

SW books good? I bought one that is about origin of the sith but haven't got to it yet.

I haven't gotten the rest of the red rising yet. Still working on IT lol

What’s it called?

I got into them because of my dad (he read basically all of them before they made the old canon into legends), and have been reading them since like 6th grade. I personally love them, but I’m a huge SW fan. Illmatic is as well.

I lied.

It's called Darth Plagueis. I do believe it has to do with what led to palpatine tho

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#163 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:31 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
SW books good? I bought one that is about origin of the sith but haven't got to it yet.

I haven't gotten the rest of the red rising yet. Still working on IT lol

What’s it called?

I got into them because of my dad (he read basically all of them before they made the old canon into legends), and have been reading them since like 6th grade. I personally love them, but I’m a huge SW fan. Illmatic is as well.

I lied.

It's called Darth Plagueis. I do believe it has to do with what led to palpatine tho

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis

Ahh, ok, I read that a few months ago. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's considered "canon" anymore, but it does an awesome job of telling Palp's backstory and what drove Plagueis.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#164 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:56 pm

br7knicks wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I’m between series and having a hard time finding something to read. I’ve always been a fantasy reader (was an early member on the GRRM forum in the late 90s), read all off the wild card series, everything Bernard Cornwell has written, really enjoyed everything by Steve Rinella (hunter, meat eater fame). I went on a horror kick a few years ago and read about 50 horror books.

If you want Sci fi fantasy, go red rising. I'm telling ya.

Horror, I bought HP lovecraft collections of his short stories. Holy ****, he was ahead of his time. I've had to put it down because I was so freaked out - I purposefully read/watch horror to freak myself out.

These are great. Basically, either in one good collection, or maybe two or three, you can get basically everything he wrote. Obviously, if there several collections purchased, there will be some overlap. I love his stuff.

I read a collection of short stories where the writers basically did HP Lovecraft themed stories. It's pretty damn good too.
I'll check my kindle later and post the name.

On an aside, I decided to tackle this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

5 books in. It's pretty good.

Kingkiller Chronicles is really good - first two books. Of course, it's been 7 years since the 2nd book, but one day...They seem sort of simple on the surface but the stories are very layered and symbolic. I see why people obsess over them.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#165 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:02 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I’m between series and having a hard time finding something to read. I’ve always been a fantasy reader (was an early member on the GRRM forum in the late 90s), read all off the wild card series, everything Bernard Cornwell has written, really enjoyed everything by Steve Rinella (hunter, meat eater fame). I went on a horror kick a few years ago and read about 50 horror books.

Horror, I bought HP lovecraft collections of his short stories. Holy ****, he was ahead of his time. I've had to put it down because I was so freaked out - I purposefully read/watch horror to freak myself out.

These are great. Basically, either in one good collection, or maybe two or three, you can get basically everything he wrote. Obviously, if there several collections purchased, there will be some overlap. I love his stuff.

I read a collection of short stories where the writers basically did HP Lovecraft themed stories. It's pretty damn good too.

Kingkiller Chronicles is really good - first two books. Of course, it's been 7 years since the 2nd book, but one day...They seem sort of simple on the surface but the stories are very layered and symbolic. I see why people obsess over them.

Late to the discussion but on the Lovecraft tip I think Liggoti's short story collections really capture the feel of Lovecraft in a way most authors don't. Couldn't recommend him more enthusiastically to any avid horror fan. I'll have to grab my books to get the titles of short stories that most capture the feel but I know Grimscribe was full of them and one specifically "The Last Feast of the Harlequin" is among my favorites all time. He has one about a pair of glasses that is as Lovecraft as it gets but I'd need to leaf through some tables of contents to get the name.

On the what I'm reading tip: Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Just enjoying a look at a religion and culture that's always interested me.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#166 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:37 pm

j4remi wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Late to the discussion but on the Lovecraft tip I think Liggoti's short story collections really capture the feel of Lovecraft in a way most authors don't. Couldn't recommend him more enthusiastically to any avid horror fan. I'll have to grab my books to get the titles of short stories that most capture the feel but I know Grimscribe was full of them and one specifically "The Last Feast of the Harlequin" is among my favorites all time. He has one about a pair of glasses that is as Lovecraft as it gets but I'd need to leaf through some tables of contents to get the name.

On the what I'm reading tip: Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Just enjoying a look at a religion and culture that's always interested me.

Liggoti is SUPER dark. I've read a few things. Good though.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#167 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:39 pm

j4remi wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Good Omens, if you've never read it. Which, if you are reading anything by Gaiman, I'll assume you have.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#168 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
j4remi wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Good Omens, if you've never read it. Which, if you are reading anything by Gaiman, I'll assume you have.

American Gods was good, but it was so **** long.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#169 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:42 pm

I've got The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher loaded. The whole series. I've been reluctant to commit as it's on the heels of several series.

I figure I'll mix in some non fiction. I read "Insane Clown President" and "The Great Derangement" by Taibbi. If you've read his columns the last 2 years you've probably seen most of it.

I might give this a go: Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#170 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:43 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I read it about 7 years ago and liked it, but haven't read it again. I liked "Neverwhere" better.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#171 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:48 pm

Any, not sure if this violates any terms of agreement here, but when I see discussions like this, first stop after is:

http://libgen.io

Have at it.

And, uh, support the authors. Eventually.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#172 » by ChaosHamster » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:48 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(novel)

Really liked the beginning, when he was pretty much a struggling foreigner in Bombay. How author portrayed it, trully stunning.

Then when he got really close to all that
Spoiler:
mafia stuff, and went to war.. I stopped reading for while. Just picked it up a couple of days ago, glad he is back in India. :)
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#173 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:48 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

This is my first trip into Gaiman territory, definitely curiously to read more of his stuff since this one isn't his own work but a retelling instead.

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Loved the tv show which is legit how I wound up giving the Norse Mythology book a spin.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#174 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 6, 2017 1:52 pm

j4remi wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

This is my first trip into Gaiman territory, definitely curiously to read more of his stuff since this one isn't his own work but a retelling instead.

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Loved the tv show which is legit how I wound up giving the Norse Mythology book a spin.

Ok, I can recommend 3 pretty highly:

Good Omens
Neverwhere
Stardust

And everyone is raving about
The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

But I haven't read it yet.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#175 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:40 pm

Reading? Why read when you got movies and Netflix?
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#176 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:43 pm

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#177 » by br7knicks » Fri Oct 6, 2017 3:55 pm

j4remi wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Have you guys checked out the app, Hooked?

It's horror (recently added other genres) that people wrote in text form. I ony got thru 1, then the app kept crashing. Haven't checked in on it in a while, but I loved the story I read. Read it outside on my lawn at 10 pm with my dog and a glass of rum - my neighbors were probably weirded out.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#178 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:08 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Have you guys checked out the app, Hooked?

It's horror (recently added other genres) that people wrote in text form. I ony got thru 1, then the app kept crashing. Haven't checked in on it in a while, but I loved the story I read. Read it outside on my lawn at 10 pm with my dog and a glass of rum - my neighbors were probably weirded out.

Added it just now to check out during my commute.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#179 » by MrProb » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:31 pm

Any suggestion for a psychological horror ? I’ve heard House of Leaves is really good but I’m a newb at books so would love to hear you guys opinions
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Post#180 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Oct 6, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm currently reading Bazooka Joe. Riveting stuff.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks