ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,299

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#5241 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 am

ccvle wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
ccvle wrote:Judge is terrible.

Lately, yeah.

Most home run hitting sluggers have a couple of noticeable slumps each season though. I figure this is Judge's. I think his high average fooled us and the Yanks into thinking his a #3 hitter though, if traditional hitting spots matter anymore. Long term, Sanchez 3, Judge 4 may make sense, or "someone who hits for average with a bit of power" #3, Sanchez 4, Judge 5.

Anyway, he's basically a rookie, and slugger types always slump hard at least once.

What I'm concern is that judge hasn't really shown any capability in making adjustments so far in his career(both major and minor).you cant afford to have your 4th or 5th or even 9th players to go on 2 months slump. He was on Pace for almost 200k before his slump.if he is just a .250 hitter with over 200k and maybe 40-45 he's, then I don't know how valuable he is offensively. Again, I'm not trying to sound like I'm impatient, I'm just looking at his career so far , including his minor league time, and there are so major concerns.

So you don't know Judge at all then? It is well documented that he struggled in every level and then made adjustments. They have a stat that says every HR is worth 5 SO. I don't know how they do that math but, Cone was talking about it during the broadcast. He's covering that spread right now.

The bullpen has been a big issue lately. Blowing close games. That's a bigger concern to me.

That Jaime Garcia trade was bad IMO.

Just enjoying the season and hope to build on it going forward. See what else we have in the minors soon when rosters expand. Chance Adams is doing well in the minors. We should get a look this year among others.

This isn't a make or break year. We're developing a lot of kids this year. We weren't expected to be as good as we were/are. Just enjoy the ride. The WS is just out of reach unless we go Cinderella on everyone. Add to the core next year. Move closer to that goal.
:beer: RIP mags
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#5242 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
So you don't know Judge at all then? It is well documented that he struggled in every level and then made adjustments. They have a stat that says every HR is worth 5 SO. I don't know how they do that math but, Cone was talking about it during the broadcast. He's covering that spread right now.

The bullpen has been a big issue lately. Blowing close games. That's a bigger concern to me.

Just enjoying the season and hope to build on it going forward. See what else we have in the minors soon when rosters expand. Chance Adams is doing well in the minors. We should get a look this year among others.

This isn't a make or break year. We're developing a lot of kids this year. We weren't expected to be as good as we were/are. Just enjoy the ride. The WS is just out of reach unless we go Cinderella on everyone. Add to the core next year. Move closer to that goal.

The best part about this season was watching the young guys grow.. Both in the Majors and in the Minors. We exceeded our own expectations and everyone elses, I don't like that we made win now moves at the trade deadline. Garcia is solid but not an Ace and we gave up some big prospects for him. Trading for Frazier and Robertson (I like Robertson though, glad to have him back) didn't make a whole lot of sense when we have headley under contract and a few young first basemen who seem promising.

This was a panic move and it didn't make a whole lot of sense. We traded some good young talent for some B and C level player. I understand some of those guys had injuries like Fowler, but I would have liked to see them grow in our farm system another year. It seems like our farm system does really well with players. WE have groomed some really good players even when we were winning every year, we always produced a gem or two here and there.

Even If we don't have roster spots for those players, these players can be moved at a later time for a better deal.

Hopefully it wont matter in a few years, but I didnt like giving up so many young players. We gave up a highly rated outfielder and the responses you hear are "well Yankees have a lot of outfielders already and he is about 3 or 4 years away" yeah.. SO you let him grow those 3 years and see what he is and get either a better deal then or call him up because hes a beast.

Just hate short sited moves. Its whats so frustrating about this city and the people who run the organizations.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#5243 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 am

It was a balancing act. You don't just want to give up on this year either. This team has spunk and some dangerous hitters they could possibly make some noise this season and that could be a real confidence builder moving forward. I think they balanced it well enough keeping most of their better prospects. Getting Gray who is a young cost controlled #2 was smart. Garcia didn't cost a whole lot. Plus they still have some international guys that are below the radar at the moment.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#5244 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:It was a balancing act. You don't just want to give up on this year either. This team has spunk and some dangerous hitters they could possibly make some noise this season and that could be a real confidence builder moving forward. I think they balanced it well enough keeping most of their better prospects. Getting Gray who is a young cost controlled #2 was smart. Garcia didn't cost a whole lot. Plus they still have some international guys that are below the radar at the moment.

This. And they had to deal some guys. With the ways the divisions are set up now and the extra wild card team, if you have a pretty good shot to get into the playoffs, you do it. It's that hair easier to make it. Yanks were close, team is on the rise, but I think there not a serious contender. Yet. But if you can stay in the race and snag one of the two wildcard spots, you do it.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#5245 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

The best part about this season was watching the young guys grow.. Both in the Majors and in the Minors. We exceeded our own expectations and everyone elses, I don't like that we made win now moves at the trade deadline. Garcia is solid but not an Ace and we gave up some big prospects for him. Trading for Frazier and Robertson (I like Robertson though, glad to have him back) didn't make a whole lot of sense when we have headley under contract and a few young first basemen who seem promising.

This was a panic move and it didn't make a whole lot of sense. We traded some good young talent for some B and C level player. I understand some of those guys had injuries like Fowler and Judge and Clint Frazier appear to have emerged. but I would have liked to see them grow in our farm system another year. It seems like our farm system does really well with players. WE have groomed some really good players even when we were winning every year, we always produced a gem or two here and there.

Even If we don't have roster spots for those players, these players can be moved at a later time for a better deal.

Hopefully it wont matter in a few years, but I didnt like giving up so many young players. We gave up a highly rated outfielder and the responses you hear are "well Yankees have a lot of outfielders already and he is about 3 or 4 years away" yeah.. SO you let him grow those 3 years and see what he is and get either a better deal then or call him up because hes a beast.

Just hate short sited moves. Its whats so frustrating about this city and the people who run the organizations.

Baseball isn't basketball though. Not all prospects who are highly touted pan out, not at the percentage they succeed in bball. Also, I get keeping the assets for that blockbuster trade, but the Yanks hands will be forced soon, so guys had to go. This wasn't going "all in" dealing away all the depth, for some playoff run this year that isn't sustainable. This was acquiring needed pieces (I mean, the Yankee starting pitching hasn't really been that good all year and team spent all year waiting for the wheels to fall of Sabathia or Tanaka, but Pineda happened instead. And CC and Tanaka have gone down, predictably) This helps this crew of youngsters on the team now be in a play off race now, and probably the playoffs. Robertson and the other guy getting killed right now in the pen are controlled for a few more years, so it wasn't one and done. Ok, Frazier is, but who cares. Rather see the young 3B in the minors anyway next year. Gray is a legit #2/#3, replaces Pineda now and for 2 more years. Jamie? Well, the Yanks needed depth because innings limit Montgomery.

I don't know. Maybe not total grand slam trades, but pretty good and they got guys that will help for a few more seasons and lets the Yanks a) be selective in bringing up the very best of the big arms in the minors and b) lets them be able to deal some of those arms not quite as good (inevitable). Thinned out the OF minor league depth some, but we don't know what the org truly thinks on Fowler/Austin/Florial over Rutherford etc. Kaperlain was a big time pitching prospect but the Yanks picked up a LOT of good arms in the McCann etc deals plus their own guys. Still might bite them, but worth it for proven #2 who they have for 2 more years after this one
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#5246 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Yanks travel to Detroit ....and hopefully sort out their issues.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#5247 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Yanks travel to Detroit ....and hopefully sort out their issues.

Sports success - beat up on bad teams, play .500 against good teams, playoffs. It's not a recipe for domination but it'll do.

This team is still a year or two away.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,299

Post#5248 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:20 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

This was a panic move and it didn't make a whole lot of sense. We traded some good young talent for some B and C level player. I understand some of those guys had injuries like Fowler and Judge and Clint Frazier appear to have emerged. but I would have liked to see them grow in our farm system another year. It seems like our farm system does really well with players. WE have groomed some really good players even when we were winning every year, we always produced a gem or two here and there.

Baseball isn't basketball though. Not all prospects who are highly touted pan out, not at the percentage they succeed in bball. Also, I get keeping the assets for that blockbuster trade, but the Yanks hands will be forced soon, so guys had to go. This wasn't going "all in" dealing away all the depth, for some playoff run this year that isn't sustainable. This was acquiring needed pieces (I mean, the Yankee starting pitching hasn't really been that good all year and team spent all year waiting for the wheels to fall of Sabathia or Tanaka, but Pineda happened instead. And CC and Tanaka have gone down, predictably) This helps this crew of youngsters on the team now be in a play off race now, and probably the playoffs. Robertson and the other guy getting killed right now in the pen are controlled for a few more years, so it wasn't one and done. Ok, Frazier is, but who cares. Rather see the young 3B in the minors anyway next year. Gray is a legit #2/#3, replaces Pineda now and for 2 more years. Jamie? Well, the Yanks needed depth because innings limit Montgomery.

I don't know. Maybe not total grand slam trades, but pretty good and they got guys that will help for a few more seasons and lets the Yanks a) be selective in bringing up the very best of the big arms in the minors and b) lets them be able to deal some of those arms not quite as good (inevitable). Thinned out the OF minor league depth some, but we don't know what the org truly thinks on Fowler/Austin/Florial over Rutherford etc. Kaperlain was a big time pitching prospect but the Yanks picked up a LOT of good arms in the McCann etc deals plus their own guys. Still might bite them, but worth it for proven #2 who they have for 2 more years after this one

I think the Gray deal was a good one. I didn't like the Garcia trade at all. I don't think it's that big a deal...I just don't like it.

It has been a much better season than I ever expected. I'm enjoying the ride. Hopefully we can add solid pitching to this lineup and be a real contender for the WS. I think we are right on the cusp of the WS. Just not enough to get it done this year. You never know but, I don't see it yet. Next year we could be even better.
:beer: RIP mags
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5249 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

That's the LAST non-competitive team (Detroit) the Yankees will face in the foreseeable future this season. After Detroit, they'll face Wild Card hopefuls...

And I'm sorry but if the Yanks fail to make the Post-Season Joe Girardi will be fired. I think that's unfair because he was given a lot of flawed pieces that don't quite go together but Cashman won't be taking the blame. Nothing personal. It's just business.

Side note: What's wrong Andrew Marchand, don't have your favorite Asian whipping boy? Absolutely SILENT since Tanaka went to the DL.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#5250 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Nobody mentions that this is Judge's first full season of 162 games...they certainly don't play that many in AAA. It's no wonder he's hit a wall, because he's certainly not hitting a baseball.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#5251 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:12 pm

I don't really believe they'll fire Girardi. Hal is trying to invoke his dad but I'll believe it when I see it. Trying to motivate by applying some pressure. Plus I think they'll make at least the fake playoffs which is the second wildcard.

Girardi has too many people vouching for him in the org currently. Have a hard time seeing him get fired.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5252 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 pm

That deal giving Chapman $17.2M per season (total $86M) basically starting pitcher salary sounds super smart don't it? Definitely getting tickets for Chapman bobblehead day. :lol:

As for dropping Judge in the order...maybe but who else is a big bat threat? Sanchez is not a #3 hitter either.

This IS the present problem with the Yankees. Some of those pieces are not yet ripe. Others just don't fit. It's a very hastily put together product without much thought.

This is why Bob Watson will ALWAYS be better than Brian Cashaman. Watson was a player and knew the game, not the "dollar value" B.S.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,236

Post#5253 » by Papi_swav » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Judge definitely needs to go down in the lineup, Drop him to 5th to 6th and with Castro coming back soon he will be in the 5th or 6th spot too. I would put Didi as the 3 hitter for now, he is our best and most consistent hitter this season and hits lefty pitchers well too. I know he doesn't draw walks but he is clearly our best complete hitter and will most likely give you atleast 1 hit every game.
Gardy
Hicks
Didi
Sanchez
Judge
Castro
Headley
Frazier
Ells/Toe

looking at the lineup I noticed that we need alot more speed and athleticism. With Judge hitting 5th, he will have alot more rbi opportunities because Didi and Sanchez gets on base at a high clip.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5254 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Don't sleep on the Tigers...
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#5255 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Don't sleep on the Tigers...

Apparently the Tigers are sleeping though :D
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#5256 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Don't sleep on the Tigers...

Yankee bats getting well at least in this game. 11-3 in top of 8th.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Post#5257 » by Rich Rane » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 am

Judge's strikeout streak is finally over.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5258 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 am

Nice work, Tanaka.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Post#5259 » by Rich Rane » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 am

I know it's a blowout, but it doesn't feel good allowing an inside the park homer.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#5260 » by Phish Tank » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:29 am

Sanchez hit a HR to Canada

Return to New York Knicks