ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: moocow007, FrontOfficeEye, magnumt, mpharris36, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, K-DOT, j4remi, Thorn, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada

User avatar
DowNY
General Manager
Posts: 7,820
And1: 3,286
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Your mom's crib, NYC
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8121 » by DowNY » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


Giancorlo would probably ok the Dodgers trade (they were #1 & Yankees were #2 on his list but Dodgers didn't have the same space under luxury like Yankees to get it done), Dodgers save money by acquiring Stanton on his current deal vs. paying up much more for a Harper, Harper comes to the Yankees as destiny saw it & Machado comes as well.

Harper as a lefty fits much better with Judge back to back.

Have a full season to go through, health plays a big part. If said players play to expectations though, I'd be down for this move.
J.W.O
2 SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 13,649
And1: 6,562
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8122 » by Phish Tank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:41 am

don't take Cafardo seriously
CMFGB/SMFPB

BAF- Houston Rockets:
PG: Fox/Galloway
SG: Hield/Waiters
SF: Oubre/Snell/Derrick Jones Jr
PF: Randle/Rabb
C: Willy (30)/Dirk

Exempt: Thomas Bryant, Edy Tavares
User avatar
poeman
General Manager
Posts: 9,222
And1: 6,378
Joined: May 21, 2008
         

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8123 » by poeman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 am

I knew it!
We were going to sign Toddfather...dude loved it here so much. Perfect glue guy
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8124 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 pm

poeman wrote:I knew it!
We were going to sign Toddfather...dude loved it here so much. Perfect glue guy



Getting close, apparently:

http://bronxpinstripes.com/news-rumors/source-yankees-close-deal-todd-frazier/

*edit - saw it was on the previous page

Anyway, not a bad idea, to play 3B, backup 1B.

Would rather have gone with Andujar, but this doesn't necessarily rule him out.
Ray Williams
Analyst
Posts: 3,526
And1: 165
Joined: Aug 13, 2001

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8125 » by Ray Williams » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am

DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


Giancorlo would probably ok the Dodgers trade (they were #1 & Yankees were #2 on his list but Dodgers didn't have the same space under luxury like Yankees to get it done), Dodgers save money by acquiring Stanton on his current deal vs. paying up much more for a Harper, Harper comes to the Yankees as destiny saw it & Machado comes as well.

Harper as a lefty fits much better with Judge back to back.

Have a full season to go through, health plays a big part. If said players play to expectations though, I'd be down for this move.


I️ can see signing Harper and keeping Stanton. Gardner is going to play everyday for the most part this year, and it looks like Judge and Stanton will rotate some between RF and DH.
So why can’t Harper just slide into LF when Gardner isn’t resigned?
Harper’s lefty bat makes more sense than Machado’s, and I️ think Andujar is going to be a beast.
User avatar
DowNY
General Manager
Posts: 7,820
And1: 3,286
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Your mom's crib, NYC
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8126 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 am

Read on Twitter
J.W.O
2 SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Papi_swav
Starter
Posts: 2,283
And1: 1,113
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8127 » by Papi_swav » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:43 am

If Stanton hits 50 plus home runs, I rather just keep him than to give Harper that 400 plus million... Harper is injury prone like Stanton but at least Stanton is on a bargain deal kinda, Harper always ends up getting hurt somehow. I might be a little bias though because I'm a huge Stanton fan.

As for Gerrit Cole, I rather not trade for him because I know the Yanks will have to send out Frazier and probably a pitcher like Chance Adams, he's been trending downwards... I much rather go for Corbin who is a lefty and has a good strikeout, groundball rate that is perfect for our Stadium , or Fulmer who is younger and has alot more years of control. I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL especially the AL East after they have an ERA up in the 4s in the NL. If we can get Cole without giving up Frazier then cool but I'm sure he has to be included .
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8128 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am

Papi_swav wrote:If Stanton hits 50 plus home runs, I rather just keep him than to give Harper that 400 plus million... Harper is injury prone like Stanton but at least Stanton is on a bargain deal kinda, Harper always ends up getting hurt somehow. I might be a little bias though because I'm a huge Stanton fan.

As for Gerrit Cole, I rather not trade for him because I know the Yanks will have to send out Frazier and probably a pitcher like Chance Adams, he's been trending downwards... I much rather go for Corbin who is a lefty and has a good strikeout, groundball rate that is perfect for our Stadium , or Fulmer who is younger and has alot more years of control. I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL especially the AL East after they have an ERA up in the 4s in the NL. If we can get Cole without giving up Frazier then cool but I'm sure he has to be included .


I think you have to look at Cole as having had a slightly down year instead of "trending down"

He's a really good pitcher who is 27 years old

At some point the Yanks are going to have to trade a prospect or two that are actually decent.

I'd rather not Clint Frazier either, because even if the OF is "crowded" with Judge/Stanton/Hicks/Gardner/Ellsbury and Florial potentially "the future", Gardner can't play a lot - meaning probably 130 max, Ellsbury is getting old, Hicks has shown to be injury prone and has he really turned the corner and Florial- who knows with prospects

Plus as you or someone else mentioned, Clint seems to be that spark sort of player the team needs
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 21,331
And1: 6,082
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8129 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:38 pm

So did we sign Todd Frazier?
A new era or error?
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8130 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

User avatar
BadNewsBarnes
Veteran
Posts: 2,864
And1: 1,113
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8131 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:25 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:https://yanksgoyard.com/2017/12/26/yankees-pair-international-free-agents/


So much for the Met pipeline that Minaya was putting in place...their loss our gain.
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,574
And1: 4,005
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8132 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 pm

There's no way the Yankees go after Bryce Harper. The sole reason why the Yankees traded for Giancarlo Stanton is the fact:
1. Contract is locked up.
2. Fits and prevents the Yanks from paying 30% luxury tax. Otherwise Hal Steinbrenner would never have signed off on this.
3. amount of farm talent given up is modest.

Now that CC Sabbathia is locked up the Yanks are looking at Yu Darvish but they can't make a serious offer unless they move some payload. For the record, Ellsbury has a no-trade clause. Forgetaboutit.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8133 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I think the Yanks "looking at Darvish" is part of the smokescreen process as they negotiate trades with the Pirates, Dbacks, whoever.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,574
And1: 4,005
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8134 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

That would explain a great many things...but I also think the Yanks are looking at the value of experience.
User avatar
SelbyCobra
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,860
And1: 5,975
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8135 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 am

Yanks top pitching prospect has the right State of Mind.

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,574
And1: 4,005
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8136 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am

A-A-Ron and Kale are re-signed. Nice.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,574
And1: 4,005
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8137 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm

The Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7 years/$160M contract. Yu had 48 hrs to respond. He DIDN'T. Yanks pulled offer off the table.

1. Glad Yankees had the opportunity to pull that offer from the table because that's STUPID money for a guy who had Tommy John Surgery, wasn't right with Texas, and Astros locked in on how he tips his pitches through his delivery...

2. IF Yu thinks he's worth more than that, he can go back to Japan.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8138 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7 years/$160M contract. Yu had 48 hrs to respond. He DIDN'T. Yanks pulled offer off the table.

1. Glad Yankees had the opportunity to pull that offer from the table because that's STUPID money for a guy who had Tommy John Surgery, wasn't right with Texas, and Astros locked in on how he tips his pitches through his delivery...

2. IF Yu thinks he's worth more than that, he can go back to Japan.


Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

In other news, Cole was traded to Houston, so they are looking pretty good for another deep playoff run, but they did before that.

Who knows, maybe Frazier and/or Andujar (either or was the rumored beginning of a deal) turn out to be good. Sometimes the best trade is the one that doesn't happen. The Yanks almost traded Soriano for Edmunds, and Edmunds was good. Soriano was better, longer.

I think the Yankee season was a surprise, they look good, they have ? in the starting pitching - Severino innings this year, CC health, Tanaka health, is Montgomery for real - but if anything, THIS year is the year they should be a wild card team. Nothing wrong with continuing with youth, be in the playoff hunt (whether they make it or not) and then have cap space and a lux tax reset for FA' next offseason - Harper, Machado, Kershaw (who isn't leaving LA ) etc

Interesting article - where it speculates the amount offered
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-real-chance-darvish-resonable-price-article-1.3755828


So, like the article says, makes you think a few things:
Yanks really like Andujar

I think the Yanks are going to attach a prospect but not a top one to Ellsbury and eat half his contract, but the prospect shaves some of the amount the Yanks have to pay

The Yanks may want Darvish but it's possible his agent is using Yank rumors to drive up the price on the Dodgers.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,574
And1: 4,005
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8139 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

In other news, Cole was traded to Houston, so they are looking pretty good for another deep playoff run, but they did before that.

Who knows, maybe Frazier and/or Andujar (either or was the rumored beginning of a deal) turn out to be good. Sometimes the best trade is the one that doesn't happen. The Yanks almost traded Soriano for Edmunds, and Edmunds was good. Soriano was better, longer.

I think the Yankee season was a surprise, they look good, they have ? in the starting pitching - Severino innings this year, CC health, Tanaka health, is Montgomery for real - but if anything, THIS year is the year they should be a wild card team. Nothing wrong with continuing with youth, be in the playoff hunt (whether they make it or not) and then have cap space and a lux tax reset for FA' next offseason - Harper, Machado, Kershaw (who isn't leaving LA ) etc

Interesting article - where it speculates the amount offered
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-real-chance-darvish-resonable-price-article-1.3755828


So, like the article says, makes you think a few things:
Yanks really like Andujar

I think the Yanks are going to attach a prospect but not a top one to Ellsbury and eat half his contract, but the prospect shaves some of the amount the Yanks have to pay

The Yanks may want Darvish but it's possible his agent is using Yank rumors to drive up the price on the Dodgers.


It was reported on ESPN's PTI on Friday. Michael Wilbon said, the Yankees were lucky to pull the offer from the table because Darvish isn't worth that nor should he get that. Definitely possible it was done to drive the market up but the Dodgers already said, they are in "cap recovery" which was why they did NOT get involved during the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes.

The Yanks were able to get $20M below the cap threshold, it is conceivable that they had a plan to shave an additional $5M or more.

Right now, the Yanks are holding all the cards:

1. The most lethal big bat trifecta in Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez in recent history.

2. Youth: G. Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Severino, Didi, etc.

3. Deepest pen.

4. Great mix of Veteran experience and youthful strong arms.

All those factors make me think, the $$$/season is correct but NO WAY I see a 6 year deal. More like a 4 year which Darvish declined.
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 22,524
And1: 14,108
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: MR. FRANKTASTIC

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8140 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

In other news, Cole was traded to Houston, so they are looking pretty good for another deep playoff run, but they did before that.

Who knows, maybe Frazier and/or Andujar (either or was the rumored beginning of a deal) turn out to be good. Sometimes the best trade is the one that doesn't happen. The Yanks almost traded Soriano for Edmunds, and Edmunds was good. Soriano was better, longer.

I think the Yankee season was a surprise, they look good, they have ? in the starting pitching - Severino innings this year, CC health, Tanaka health, is Montgomery for real - but if anything, THIS year is the year they should be a wild card team. Nothing wrong with continuing with youth, be in the playoff hunt (whether they make it or not) and then have cap space and a lux tax reset for FA' next offseason - Harper, Machado, Kershaw (who isn't leaving LA ) etc

Interesting article - where it speculates the amount offered
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-real-chance-darvish-resonable-price-article-1.3755828


So, like the article says, makes you think a few things:
Yanks really like Andujar

I think the Yanks are going to attach a prospect but not a top one to Ellsbury and eat half his contract, but the prospect shaves some of the amount the Yanks have to pay

The Yanks may want Darvish but it's possible his agent is using Yank rumors to drive up the price on the Dodgers.


It was reported on ESPN's PTI on Friday. Michael Wilbon said, the Yankees were lucky to pull the offer from the table because Darvish isn't worth that nor should he get that. Definitely possible it was done to drive the market up but the Dodgers already said, they are in "cap recovery" which was why they did NOT get involved during the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes.

The Yanks were able to get $20M below the cap threshold, it is conceivable that they had a plan to shave an additional $5M or more.

Right now, the Yanks are holding all the cards:

1. The most lethal big bat trifecta in Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez in recent history.

2. Youth: G. Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Severino, Didi, etc.

3. Deepest pen.

4. Great mix of Veteran experience and youthful strong arms.

All those factors make me think, the $$$/season is correct but NO WAY I see a 6 year deal. More like a 4 year which Darvish declined.


I think they'd have to shave more than 5 to get Darvish that amount but still have $ left over to be flexible during the season.

I'm not specifically disagreeing the truth of the offer. Well, I am. We don't know what really was offered and who is leaking this stuff to the press. Sounds agent driven.

I do agree the Yanks are really in the driver's seat. Cashman with an interesting game. I think he's exploring things but wants things TOTALLY on his terms because, well, they are in the driver's seat with the collection of young talent, the MLB lineup, and getting Stanton for a song really made their hand stronger.

Return to New York Knicks