ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1861 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 12:20 am

BringBackLj! wrote:
Once again, its very easy to look back and say we could have gotten so and so for 2 years 40 million. But the fact remains is that Holiday was a solid signing and is still a solid signing despite what happened afterwards. He had a decent year last year and the hope is that resting his legs by letting him be our primary DH he'll be healthier and more productive. And for a one year deal you can't go wrong.

how is holiday a solid signing ? LOL we played 13 million for a declining player and we could of resigned our best hitter for 3 more million a year. Yanks are running this so tight its crazy, we became the Mets when it comes to payroll.[/quote]

Beltran had his best year at the plate since 2013 and will turn 40 in May. Holiday is almost 3 years younger, 3 million cheaper and hopefully should see an uptick in his numbers as a full time DH. So despite what you think Holiday has a better chance to provide more bang for the buck next year than Beltran.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
BringBackLj!
Analyst
And1: 93

Post#1862 » by BringBackLj! » Tue Feb 7, 2017 12:22 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
BringBackLj! wrote:
Once again, its very easy to look back and say we could have gotten so and so for 2 years 40 million. But the fact remains is that Holiday was a solid signing and is still a solid signing despite what happened afterwards. He had a decent year last year and the hope is that resting his legs by letting him be our primary DH he'll be healthier and more productive. And for a one year deal you can't go wrong.

how is holiday a solid signing ? LOL we played 13 million for a declining player and we could of resigned our best hitter for 3 more million a year. Yanks are running this so tight its crazy, we became the Mets when it comes to payroll.

Beltran had his best year at the plate since 2013 and will turn 40 in May. Holiday is almost 3 years younger, 3 million cheaper and hopefully should see an uptick in his numbers as a full time DH. So despite what you think Holiday has a better chance to provide more bang for the buck next year than Beltran.[/quote]

Check beltrans last 1.5 and come back to me.. he started from 2years ago post all break and has been a great yankee hitter since that time. hes dong tremendous at the plate and would be a great vet to have also! holiday being 3 years younger doesnt mean much look how much time hes missed
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1863 » by Mecca » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:59 pm

The New York Yankees have explored trades for a number of veterans, including Starlin Castro, according to a report.

The Yankees "let some clubs know [Castro] was available" writes Joel Sherman.

There doesn't appear to have been much interest in Castro. The Yankees also looked for deals involving Brett Gardner and Chase Headley.

I like the idea of holding onto Castro at least until the deadline. He showed me some stuff the second half of last season. If he continues his hot streak, you almost have to keep him as a core piece. If he continues to be inconsistent, you can flip him just to get out of his deal.

I hate Headley's face and his contract. I was against that Solarte trade from day one. Solarte is still the better player 3 years later. Dumb Cashman getting fooled by brand names once again. Can't wait until he's gone.

Gardner, I really like, but the writing's on the wall because Cashman made the puzzling decision of signing his replica to a monstrous contract.

I'm actually really excited for this season. People are saying that this is a rebuilding year aren't giving Girardi and our talent enough credit. I expect us to compete for the second wild car slot until the end of the season. Everything will come down to our pitching.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1864 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 7, 2017 7:24 pm

Yeah, Castro and Headley are stop gaps. At least Castro has a little pop. Headley is the green light on hitting into double plays. Both I can't wait to see go, promoting youth from within.

I think the Yanks are premature on Gardner. He's a GREAT teammate. He can be a valuable 4th outfielder and occasional DH when the situation arises. Keep in mind, so long as you have bag of glass in center field, there's always a possibility of needing another fielder.
iAdoreeKnicks
Analyst
And1: 5,105

Post#1865 » by iAdoreeKnicks » Tue Feb 7, 2017 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter
iAdoreeKnicks
Analyst
And1: 5,105

Post#1866 » by iAdoreeKnicks » Tue Feb 7, 2017 9:29 pm

Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#1867 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 12:28 am

BringBackLj! wrote:
Check beltrans last 1.5 and come back to me.. he started from 2years ago post all break and has been a great yankee hitter since that time. hes dong tremendous at the plate and would be a great vet to have also! holiday being 3 years younger doesnt mean much look how much time hes missed

When you say check Beltran's last 1.5 I guess you want me to forget the entire months (August last year and September the year before) he was decidedly mediocre. I also find it convinient to ignore than April in 2015 where he hit a whopping .163.

Beltran had a great year last year. And outside of a couple mediocre months in 2015 and a horrible April he also did very well in 2015. But he's going to be 40. He's got just as much chance of regressing back to 2013 levels as continuing to hit the tar out of the ball like he did for most of 2016. I don't care how well you take care of your body Father Time is undefeated. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that 16 million if Beltran slides. Holiday is younger and slightly cheaper. Despite missing 52 games he put up numbers in a less hitter friendly park that would have ranked him amongst our leaders in home runs and RBIs. Hopefully, he'll see an uptick in numbers now that he won't have to worry about playing the field and the nagging injuries that are sure to crop of from that.

And as you no doubt see from the post just above this response we signed Chris Carter for $3 million. So we essentially got Matt Holiday and the national league home run leader for the same price as we "could" have paid for a 40 year old Beltran.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#1868 » by Polk377 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 2:35 am

Another great signing from Cashman getting Carter for only $3 mil. Great righty power they can throw in against the lefty pitchers they will see this year. I expect Carter to be Holidays counterpart at DH and maybe get some spot starts at 1st.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,233

Post#1869 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 8, 2017 2:56 pm

Polk377 wrote:Another great signing from Cashman getting Carter for only $3 mil. Great righty power they can throw in against the lefty pitchers they will see this year. I expect Carter to be Holidays counterpart at DH and maybe get some spot starts at 1st.

25 HR's and 180 strikeouts?
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#1870 » by JustCame » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Another great signing from Cashman getting Carter for only $3 mil. Great righty power they can throw in against the lefty pitchers they will see this year. I expect Carter to be Holidays counterpart at DH and maybe get some spot starts at 1st.

Or 40 HRs and 200 strikeouts?

Getting this guy for so cheap boggles my mind. .821 OPS last year with a good track record.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#1871 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:41 pm

Mecca wrote:The New York Yankees have explored trades for a number of veterans, including Starlin Castro, according to a report.

There doesn't appear to have been much interest in Castro. The Yankees also looked for deals involving Brett Gardner and Chase Headley.

I like the idea of holding onto Castro at least until the deadline. He showed me some stuff the second half of last season. If he continues his hot streak, you almost have to keep him as a core piece. If he continues to be inconsistent, you can flip him just to get out of his deal.

I hate Headley's face and his contract. I was against that Solarte trade from day one. Solarte is still the better player 3 years later. Dumb Cashman getting fooled by brand names once again. Can't wait until he's gone.

Gardner, I really like, but the writing's on the wall because Cashman made the puzzling decision of signing his replica to a monstrous contract.

I'm actually really excited for this season. People are saying that this is a rebuilding year aren't giving Girardi and our talent enough credit. I expect us to compete for the second wild car slot until the end of the season. Everything will come down to our pitching.

I agree man the Yankees are doing what the Knicks wish they could do correctly. Rebuilding while staying competitive...We don't have any of the top 25 position players in the league (yet) but, by mixing youth with some of the veterans we've acquired we're going to be hopefully a good and exciting team to watch. It does all come down to our 3-5 rotation guys. Can 2 out of the 3 give us a good start every time through the rotation? That's the biggest question, although, with this team I feel like we're not going to be as prone to droughts offensively as much as we were the past 2 years. And once we get to that bullpen it's lights out as per usual.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1872 » by Mecca » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:43 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Mecca wrote:The New York Yankees have explored trades for a number of veterans, including Starlin Castro, according to a report.

I agree man the Yankees are doing what the Knicks wish they could do correctly. Rebuilding while staying competitive...We don't have any of the top 25 position players in the league (yet) but, by mixing youth with some of the veterans we've acquired we're going to be hopefully a good and exciting team to watch. It does all come down to our 3-5 rotation guys. Can 2 out of the 3 give us a good start every time through the rotation? That's the biggest question, although, with this team I feel like we're not going to be as prone to droughts offensively as much as we were the past 2 years. And once we get to that bullpen it's lights out as per usual.

I agree bro. Tbh, this is the most excited I've been for a Yankees season in forever. I prefer this than throwing money at every free agent.
Brooklyn Nets
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#1873 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:47 pm

Mecca wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

I agree bro. Tbh, this is the most excited I've been for a Yankees season in forever. I prefer this than throwing money at every free agent.

Yeah. Cashman made the smart move to hold out on throwing money around the past 2 years. Next offseason though...give Machado the keys to the city, whatever it takes to get that man in Pinstripes :lol:
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1874 » by Mecca » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:50 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Yeah. Cashman made the smart move to hold out on throwing money around the past 2 years. Next offseason though...give Machado the keys to the city, whatever it takes to get that man in Pinstripes :lol:

Man, f*ck Harper, I want Machado. By far my favorite player in the MLB right now. Dudes game reminds me of a young A-Rod. So smooth.

Machado at 3rd-Didi at Short-Torres at 2nd, Bird at 1st. Wow
Brooklyn Nets
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#1875 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:24 pm

I would think teams would negotiate extra hard with yankees especially now that the system is loaded. But Cashman is applying the right tact by not being desperate. Phil take notes.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,233

Post#1876 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:33 pm

JustCame wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Getting this guy for so cheap boggles my mind. .821 OPS last year with a good track record.

It's a great price, actually.
BringBackLj!
Analyst

Post#1877 » by BringBackLj! » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:15 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
BringBackLj! wrote:

When you say check Beltran's last 1.5 I guess you want me to forget the entire months (August last year and September the year before) he was decidedly mediocre. I also find it convinient to ignore than April in 2015 where he hit a whopping .163.

Beltran had a great year last year. And outside of a couple mediocre months in 2015 and a horrible April he also did very well in 2015. But he's going to be 40. He's got just as much chance of regressing back to 2013 levels as continuing to hit the tar out of the ball like he did for most of 2016. I don't care how well you take care of your body Father Time is undefeated. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that 16 million if Beltran slides. Holiday is younger and slightly cheaper. Despite missing 52 games he put up numbers in a less hitter friendly park that would have ranked him amongst our leaders in home runs and RBIs. Hopefully, he'll see an uptick in numbers now that he won't have to worry about playing the field and the nagging injuries that are sure to crop of from that.

And as you no doubt see from the post just above this response we signed Chris Carter for $3 million. So we essentially got Matt Holiday and the national league home run leader for the same price as we "could" have paid for a 40 year old Beltran.

Carter signing doenst make sense? I guess theyre not sure on birds health i assume.. anyways

Beltran Last 2 years game played

His numbers with the yankees have GOTTEN BETTER... not worse.. so i dont get why you say decline.. heres the proof
233. 15hrs 49rbis
277 19hrs 67 rbis now year 2, was all 2nd half post all star break finally over his injuries

Last year before the trade he was ON FIRE
304 22Hrs 64 rbis... he was a boarderline all star last season for the yanks.. in 99 games

his total was
295 for 33 hrs 96 rbis...

I dont think people realise how good he was for the last 1.5 for the yankees, and if anyknow has been a classy guy off the field and a guy you want with the young yanks around why not Beltran?????? hes a clear HOF!

im not knocking Holiday he may be okay well see, but i was knocking the yankees frugualness that 3 million now counts. Were becomming the Mets.
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
BringBackLj!
Analyst

Post#1878 » by BringBackLj! » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:16 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
JustCame wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

It's a great price, actually.

Rumors are he had no offers from MLB teams and was considering Japan. Man advanced stats really changed the way gm apporach the game now, few years back this guy would of got a ton of money
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#1879 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:16 pm

BringBackLj! wrote:
Carter signing doenst make sense? I guess theyre not sure on birds health i assume.. anyways

Beltran Last 2 years game played

His numbers with the yankees have GOTTEN BETTER... not worse.. so i dont get why you say decline.. heres the proof
233. 15hrs 49rbis
277 19hrs 67 rbis now year 2, was all 2nd half post all star break finally over his injuries

Last year before the trade he was ON FIRE
304 22Hrs 64 rbis... he was a boarderline all star last season for the yanks.. in 99 games

his total was
295 for 33 hrs 96 rbis..

He's going to be 40 next season. His production the previous years doesn't matter. Sooner or later his production is going to drop. I don't want the Yankees to be caught holding the bag when it does.

I dont think people realise how good he was for the last 1.5 for the yankees, and if anyknow has been a classy guy off the field and a guy you want with the young yanks around why not Beltran?????? hes a clear HOF!

People do realize how good he was but people also realize he's old. AND HELL NO he is not a clear HOF.
im not knocking Holiday he may be okay well see, but i was knocking the yankees frugualness that 3 million now counts. Were becomming the Mets.

Well better to be the recent Mets than the recent Yankees. The Mets went to the World Series in the past couple years. The Yankees haven't since 2009. Its this way of doing things that has given Yankee fans a lot of young talent to look forward to.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,235

Post#1880 » by Papi_swav » Thu Feb 9, 2017 7:06 pm

Carter 35 home runs in 400 at bats with 200 strikeouts. At 3 million i'll take it. Now we need a lefty pitcher, Travis Wood ?

Return to New York Knicks