ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#3821 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 am

I think he should get a plaque. Sh** Tino got one. I loved Tino but he wasn't half the player Cano is.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#3822 » by bishnykfan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 am

Tino was a big player on FOUR championships. That team was loved in NY after the dark days of the late 80s. Everyone who was anyone got honored from that group.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#3823 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:26 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think he should get a plaque. Sh** Tino got one. I loved Tino but he wasn't half the player Cano is.

Cano will go down as my favorite player of all time. One of the smoothest players I've ever seen. I really believe that he never got his respect from New York because he developed during the A-Rod/Jeter Yankees that already had leaders and icons. He's going to go down in the HOF as a Yankee for sure so I would argue that we should retire his #.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3824 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:38 am

Back when they were kids Cano and PED abuser Melky Cabrera used to booze it up all night and come to the park a little late. Finally, the Yankees had enough and Cashman and Levine shipped Melky out. That scared Cano straight.

Not the only player to fall into the booze/party trap. Ozzie Guillen and Miguel Cabrera went boozing when their teams were playing each other and fighting for the playoffs. Miguel's wife slapped his sober.

I think that the Yankees would have kept Cano if not for the fact, they had to get through paying a LOT of heavy contracts when Cano came in with his demands. The Mariners are paying Cano $24 per season for the NEXT SEVEN seasons.

He will get his day when he retires.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#3825 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am

Bird might be doing rehab games...

http://nypost.com/2017/07/13/greg-bird-passes-first-hurdle-are-rehab-games-next/

Or Bird is doing his Nick Johnson impression...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,066

Post#3826 » by moocow007 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:47 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Bird might be doing rehab games...

http://nypost.com/2017/07/13/greg-bird-passes-first-hurdle-are-rehab-games-next/

That's the same guy I was thinking about as far as Bird is concerned. :lol:
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#3827 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Bird might be doing rehab games...

I hope he's finally over this injury episode.
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#3828 » by JustCame » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 pm

The White Sox are gonna be scary in a few years. Can't believe Quintana got them that much. I'm glad the Yanks didn't pull the trigger.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#3829 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:45 pm

JustCame wrote:The White Sox are gonna be scary in a few years. Can't believe Quintana got them that much. I'm glad the Yanks didn't pull the trigger.

The Cubs gave up Jimenez which is why the White Sox were asking Cashman for Torres. Screw that.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#3830 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:54 pm

JustCame wrote:The White Sox are gonna be scary in a few years. Can't believe Quintana got them that much. I'm glad the Yanks didn't pull the trigger.

Quintana has come back to form recently. The Cubs are a win now team this makes sense for then. Also I don't think the price was unreasonable for Quintana. One top 5 guy, a top 100 type and two other good prospects. Seems about right for top end pitcher under control for a few years.

Btw the Yankees just made a trade for a 1st baseman from Brewers. Some dude named Garrett Cooper.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#3831 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Pretty cool the cubs and sox can make a big trade like that. Can't remember last time that happened here in NY.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#3832 » by Polk377 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Yankees today traded Tyler Webb to the Brewers for minor league 1B Garrett Cooper. Cooper is already turning 27 later this year but could just be a late bloomer. He is a 6'6 240lbs righty and is having a monster season in AAA this season. His slash lines are a crazy .366/.428/.652 in 75 games with 17 HR 29 2B and 82 RBI. If anyone knows how to help a monster righty put it all together it is the Yankees. Cashman might have found us a 1B on another great deal.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#3833 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:

Quintana has come back to form recently. The Cubs are a win now team this makes sense for then. Also I don't think the price was unreasonable for Quintana. One top 5 guy, a top 100 type and two other good prospects. Seems about right for top end pitcher under control for a few years.

Btw the Yankees just made a trade for a 1st baseman from Brewers. Some dude named Garrett Cooper.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-deal-lefthander-tyler-webb-brewers-article-1.3324142

Looks like it might be a good deal for us...another big bat...

Edit:

Garrett Cooper sounds like Gary Cooper. Gary Cooper played Lou Gehrig in "The Pride of the Yankees". Good omen.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#3834 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-deal-lefthander-tyler-webb-brewers-article-1.3324142

Looks like it might be a good deal for us...another big bat...

Edit:

Garrett Cooper sounds like Gary Cooper. Gary Cooper played Lou Gehrig in "The Pride of the Yankees". Good omen.

More insurance for Bird.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3835 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 am

Quintana is one of those pitchers where it's too hard to tell if he's really good or not. He has a decent ERA but sub .500 win record. How much is the Sox suck or his talent?

Either way, that grey area is NOT enough to give up Torres.

The second Half of MLB will tell ALL as the cream of the crop always rises to the top. This road trip will tell us all about the Yankees. I'm of the opinion that the Yanks should on occasion do a call up and go to a 6-man rotation. When you have vets whose arms get a little too tired, it's not a bad call. Give Pineda and Tanaka time to get their sh#t together. CC is always one pitch from the DL. Basically Severino and Montgomery will be the difference in this team making the wild card or not.

I just hope Cashman calls up Andjeur or jaguar whatever. That kid is good.

I like the idea of platooning Romine and Sanchez at 1B/Catcher. Teams are running on Gary. His throw out rate dipped a little this season. Catching is nasty wear and tear. Ask Joe Mauer how he's doing now he's a tall 1B.

I'm also concerned about Gardner's recent struggles at the plate. He's a warrior but he could use more days off. Hicks will not be ready till end of July at best with the oblique injury.

Mix a couple young guys at the lead. Ellsbury is too babied to be hitting lead off. He hates it. At .266 he's at best #7.

I would like the line up to be:

LF: Gardner
SS: Gregorius
RF: Judge
DH: Holliday (supposed to be ready)
2B: Castro
C: Sanchez
CF: Ellsbury
3B: headley
1B: Romine

Bench: Frazier to play or rotate the OF/DH position.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3836 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Not a fan of Quintana so thrilled that they didn't make the trade.

Garrett Cooper will be interesting. He's a really big guy (6'6" 240-250) but actually moves pretty well and has very good quickness for a guy that size. The crazy stats are inflated by playing in the PCL but a lot of scouts are very complimentary of his abilities. Saying that he's a late bloomer and could be hitting his stride right now as far as a big power guy. I believe the book is that he's also solid defensively.

It's not Justin Bour but it didn't cost them much.

This is a sign that Cashman is still holding to plan and not trading any of his blue chip prospects no matter what.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3837 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the Yankees continue the downward slide. They may have said they are going to be buyers but if it's not working I can see them switching to being sellers again.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#3838 » by poeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I was in Miami for the Home Run Derby and All Star Game, because of work. I had behind home plate for HR Derby. It easily is the best event since I went to the Cincinnati one 3 years ago.

Also, I flew back on the same flight with Gary Sanchez, no joke...The highlight of my trip, my wife helped with the spanish and dude was so nice to come meet us at baggage claim and take a photo with us.

I will always have respect for my dude El Gary after that.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#3839 » by poeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

****...Pineda needs tommy john surgery.

Torn rotator cuff
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#3840 » by JustCame » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Mecca wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I think he should get a plaque. Sh** Tino got one. I loved Tino but he wasn't half the player Cano is.

Cano will go down as my favorite player of all time. One of the smoothest players I've ever seen. I really believe that he never got his respect from New York because he developed during the A-Rod/Jeter Yankees that already had leaders and icons. He's going to go down in the HOF as a Yankee for sure so I would argue that we should retire his #.

Love Cano. Always wished he took more walks, but otherwise his game was silky smooth.

Return to New York Knicks