ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#5021 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:A couple more games of Robles and Goedell and your hitters will get back on track.

Man was Joe and Evan all over this this morning....jeez...

:nod:

It was crazy not to keep Blevins in there and then go to Ramos. But it has to be righty vs. righty, right? lol

TC is gone after this season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,314

Post#5022 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:46 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Would be nice to see the Yankees score some runs that weren't solo and 2 run HR's. They don't really manufacture runs well at all. I don't mind. I don't really see this as a playoff year, but more like the 95 Yanks, a good team on the cusp. But with the extra wild card and the glut of depth in the minors and upcoming 40 man roster issues, trading for a controlled starter and 2 quality controlled relievers I can get behind. Even the Todd Frazier deal makes sense in the context of a team on the rise and a shot at the playoffs.

Picky, picky, picky.

Not picky. Really just acknowledging the lineup as currently constructed isn't great, and in some ways, as a WHOLE, it's hard to argue it's good.

Didi is the best average hitter but rarely walks. Clint Frazier (when he played), Judge and Sanchez strike out a ton.

If the Yankees managed to keep Christ Carter and if Castro gets back in time, that's 7 line up guys with over 100 strikeouts at the end of the year. Since Carter won't come back, it'll actually be 6. Maybe when Judge strikes out 200 times, that can count as 2 guys x 100.

The only guys besides Judge who get walks are Headley, Holliday and and Gardner, and while Holiday is hitting .270 right now, Headley and Holiday have been flirting with .230 all year and Gardner is lighting it up at .250. Todd Frazier is like Headley and Holliday.

Even with Hicks back and when Castro comes back, and whenever Clint Frazier becomes an everyday player, the line up is strike out heavy, walk light, and Castro and Didi are the only reliable contact hitters, but they almost never walk.

Depending on the qualities of guys coming up in the minors, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade where a slugger goes for someone with an an base percentage - like Clint Frazier. Not now, but within the next two years.

*edit - I get strikeouts aren't as big a deal as they used to be, but the Yankee lineup has a LOT of strikeouts in it without much base on balls.

It's like the 95 team. On the cusp of being good for a while, needs some changes.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#5023 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Would be nice to see the Yankees score some runs that weren't solo and 2 run HR's. They don't really manufacture runs well at all. I don't mind. I don't really see this as a playoff year, but more like the 95 Yanks, a good team on the cusp. But with the extra wild card and the glut of depth in the minors and upcoming 40 man roster issues, trading for a controlled starter and 2 quality controlled relievers I can get behind. Even the Todd Frazier deal makes sense in the context of a team on the rise and a shot at the playoffs.

Picky, picky, picky.

Not picky. Really just acknowledging the lineup as currently constructed isn't great, and in some ways, as a WHOLE, it's hard to argue it's good.

Didi is the best average hitter but rarely walks. Clint Frazier (when he played), Judge and Sanchez strike out a ton.

If the Yankees managed to keep Christ Carter and if Castro gets back in time, that's 7 line up guys with over 100 strikeouts at the end of the year. Since Carter won't come back, it'll actually be 6. Maybe when Judge strikes out 200 times, that can count as 2 guys x 100.

The only guys besides Judge who get walks are Headley, Holliday and and Gardner, and while Holiday is hitting .270 right now, Headley and Holiday have been flirting with .230 all year and Gardner is lighting it up at .250. Todd Frazier is like Headley and Holliday.

Even with Hicks back and when Castro comes back, and whenever Clint Frazier becomes an everyday player, the line up is strike out heavy, walk light, and Castro and Didi are the only reliable contact hitters, but they almost never walk.

Depending on the qualities of guys coming up in the minors, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade where a slugger goes for someone with an an base percentage - like Clint Frazier. Not now, but within the next two years.

*edit - I get strikeouts aren't as big a deal as they used to be, but the Yankee lineup has a LOT of strikeouts in it without much base on balls.

It's like the 95 team. On the cusp of being good for a while, needs some changes.

At this time of the year, when you're in the race you take your wins any way you can get them was my only point. I understand that as a fan of the team, you're looking deeper into it.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#5024 » by ccvle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Picky, picky, picky.

the yanks strikeout alot but they are actually number 2 in all of baseball and number 1 in the AL in walks....
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#5025 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 pm

ccvle wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Picky, picky, picky.

the yanks strikeout alot but they are actually number 2 in all of baseball and number 1 in the AL in walks....

I would not have thought that. Judge walks a ton, but it doesn't feel like the type that lead to rallies, more that he just got pitched around.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#5026 » by ccvle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
ccvle wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I would not have thought that. Judge walks a ton, but it doesn't feel like the type that lead to rallies, more that he just got pitched around.

Well, the yankees always have the philosophy of being patient at the plate and taking pitches, the problem is they don't have hitters who can take pitches AND hit for contact. You have Gardner who has a respectiveful obp but is freaking hitting like .240 as the leadoff. It is ok to have guys with good obp because of high walks, but as you pointed out you can't have 7-8 guys like that in your lineup. You need at least a few guys who can move the runners on base. People keep saying how important it is to milk the count so players in the dug out can read more of the pitcher's pitches. It is true to a certain extent but at the end of the day, it is not going to turn a team full of bad contact hitters to be able to hit the ball.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#5027 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Taking pitches and learning not to take un-necessary swings comes with experience. Last night Hicks only took 14 pitches but he's seeing the ball well and he's making good decisions.

Keep in mind, this guy is 27 and at that age, usually you know what a player is by now. Well he was a washed up Twin. Last season as a Yankee he hit .217 in 123 games.

This is why I am cautious before I go Lady Gaga over young players. This is baseball. It is NOT about the short-term but rather how well you do long-term...over 162 games year after year. There is a cadence to performing consistently in this sport.

Another great example is Didi whom the D-Backs were "iffy" on his bat. Well he looks locked in.

Guys like Aaron Judge, Clint Frazier, Gary Sanchez...these guys haven't yet learned how to make adjustments and stay within their means because this is all very new on them. They have power and the team and fans often look to them for the big hit.

Just gotta stay patient.

Speaking of patience, the deGRom vs Gray match up is scoreless in the 3rd.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5028 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 am

The hits keep coming for Hicks 1-0 Yanks. Also, Joe G putting Didi in the #4 slot has really helped out Sanchez who is at his best #5 spot. I hated it when Frazier, Judge, Sanchez were bunched up at the top...all a pitcher had to do was navigate 1 inning and the other 2 innings he could coast.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#5029 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 am

Sanchez's batting average will soon pass Judge's.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#5030 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:56 am

Short of a complete collapse of a 5-2 lead it looks like Sonny Gray gets his first Yankee home win.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Post#5031 » by Rich Rane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 am

Might be time to relegate Chapman to the 8th...or the 7th.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,347

Post#5032 » by Phish Tank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:13 am

we gotta hope Chapman has a great third season and then he can opt out and we'll never have to deal with him again
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,347

Post#5033 » by Phish Tank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:13 am

Rich Rane wrote:Might be time to relegate Chapman to the 8th...or the 7th.

or the DL
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#5034 » by GIMME_DATT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 am

This on top off ellsbury terrible signings
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5035 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 am

It's amazing how a guy named Cash-man manages a franchise's money when it comes to signing/re-signing free agents.

A win keeps the Yanks ahead of the Angels in the Wild Card race.

Gray is a good pitcher but a very good 6 inning pitcher. That's it.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,012

Post#5036 » by blue and orange » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:44 am

Chapman going on the DL could be a blessing, he needs to work on his mechanics.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,012

Post#5037 » by blue and orange » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:It's amazing how a guy named Cash-man manages a franchise's money when it comes to signing/re-signing free agents.

Gotta keep winning 1.5 months left, Gray doesn't have to be an ace, a solid 6 innings per start is all the Yankees need and they have him for the next 2 seasons at 7 mill per season, which is huge because Cashman is trying to stay under the luxury tax threshold.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#5038 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:It's amazing how a guy named Cash-man manages a franchise's money when it comes to signing/re-signing free agents.

So he's like 70% of all MLB starters? And then out of that 70%, 10% are good pitchers, so Gray is a top 1/3rd pitcher?

I mean, I'm just making random stats statements without backing them up, but lots of starters can't and don't go long anymore. But Gray is a very good quality pitcher in the innings he gives.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5039 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 am

I mean, is THAT the state of baseball? A 6-inning pitcher is a good quality?

Sure he's cheap relatively but that was what Cashman's tag line was with Pineda, the OTHER guy Pedro Martinez helped out and bragged as the better pitcher than Tanaka. As an Asian American, I get the score. But so far, Pineda has been CONSISTENTLY MLB's best pitcher April-June almost every season before breaking down.

Now my expectations for Gray are modest. Give me 2 decent seasons, it was worth the trade but I really don't think the Yanks are THAT much better until 1-2 more starters develop in the Farm get the call up and ESTABLISH themselves as front line material.

I'm hoping Severino breaks the curse that the Yanks haven't developed starting pitching since Andy Pettitte but I am ALSO very cautious seeing how Cashman talked up: Phil Hughes, Job Chamberlain, and Ian Kennedy.

So forgive me if I take a wait and see approach.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#5040 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 am

Would you trade Aaron Judge + Sheffield + DiDi for Kyrie Irving?

Return to New York Knicks