ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Obi-One
Analyst
And1: 1,963

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7281 » by Obi-One » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:29 am

Red Vines wrote:So many assets--I'm looking for a premiere leadoff hitter next year.

Also would like to see us get that dude Otani
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,686

Post#7282 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 am

Statrax wrote:
Red Vines wrote:So many assets--I'm looking for a premiere leadoff hitter next year.

Shohei Otani is probably the only big name pitcher the Yanks are going after in free agency. Cashman is adamant on getting under the luxury tax.
Obi-One
Analyst
And1: 1,963

Post#7283 » by Obi-One » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Statrax wrote:

Shohei Otani is probably the only big name pitcher the Yanks are going after in free agency. Cashman is adamant on getting under the luxury tax.

Isn’t he also one of Japan’s best ever hitters? Maybe he can be our dh as well lol
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#7284 » by EchelonNYK » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am

Our bats just never came together for some reason. So frustrating.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7285 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 am

Statrax wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Statrax wrote:Also would like to see us get that dude Otani

Isn’t he also one of Japan’s best ever hitters? Maybe he can be our dh as well lol

He bats lefty too haha. Could replace Headley, Ellsbury, and Holliday.

I love CC, but I'd look REALLY closely if Yu Darvish doesn't want to stay in LA after the World Series, as long as it keeps the Yanks under the luxury tax. With A-Rod finally off the books and CC being replaced for Darvish, I wonder how much that gets the Yanks under the threshold, if at all.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#7286 » by bishnykfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 am

The luxury tax next year is $197M. The Yankees have $117M committed to seven players (assuming Tanaka opts in). Those seven players are Tanaka, two bullpen arms (Chapman and Robertson) and four position players (Castro, Gardner, Headley and Ellsbury). They have a few guys who will get pretty substantial raises from arbitration (Didi, Gray, Hicks, Betances). The rest of the team is under team control for next to nothing. After those arbitration raises they will have no room to sign a significant free agent if they are going to stay under the luxury tax like Cashman has declared many times.

I can see Frasier, Holliday, Garcia and Pineda all gone as free agents. CC could sign a one year deal. I could see Betances, Warren and Castro/Hicks get traded. Next year the rotation will be Severino/Tanaka/Gray/CC/Montgomery with Chance Adams as the #6. Chapman, Robertson, Green and Kahnle will be in the bullpen. Sanchez, Bird, Didi, Headley, Gardner, and Judge will be in the lineup.

I could see Cash looking into signing one vet bat to take Hollidays spot. A pitcher if Tanaka opts out or CC moves on and maybe a lefty out of the bullpen. But that's about it for this offseason.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#7287 » by poeman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 am

Yeah Astros outplayed us in game 6 and 7. We never got a break in houston. Tough outs at home plate and on the bases at times. We really needed the 1st run to cool things and reset everything. It calmed the nerves for houston. Tough loss but very proud of these guys...Astros are a fun team, but Dodgers will be a tough task.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#7288 » by poeman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:12 am

Castro was awful on 2nd base not sure what happened. But i cant give up on him...not sure if Andujar can take over 2nd base. I like Todd Frazier, honestly hoping he resigns and we trade headley
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#7289 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 am

I didn't get Sanchez's pitch management during McCann's RBI AB in the 5th inning. I might have missed the first pitch or two of the AB but from the pitch sequence I saw, Sanchez kept calling for inside pitches. My thought was that you don't want to pitch McCann inside where he can get a hold of one and do some damage (which is what happened). You want to keep it over or just off the outside part of the plate to start off the AB and see if you can get him to fish. If you make a mistake, he has to punch it to LF and maybe you prevent that second run from scoring. If you get ahead of him, then bust him with a fastball high and tight. As a general rule, low and inside is the groove spot for a LHH.

Oh well. Too bad. You had a shot this year. Dodgers-Yankees would've been fun. Now you're going to have to keep CC AND obtain at least another starter. Yu Darvish? ... and you gotta hope Tanaka's elbow holds up again next season. Of course, you never know what's going to happen with injuries from year to year.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#7290 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 am

poeman wrote:Yeah Astros outplayed us in game 6 and 7. We never got a break in houston. Tough outs at home plate and on the bases at times. We really needed the 1st run to cool things and reset everything. It calmed the nerves for houston. Tough loss but very proud of these guys...Astros are a fun team, but Dodgers will be a tough task.

Should be a fun series. I just love watching Altuve play.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,069

Post#7291 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am

poeman wrote:Castro was awful on 2nd base not sure what happened. But i cant give up on him...not sure if Andujar can take over 2nd base. I like Todd Frazier, honestly hoping he resigns and we trade headley

3b - but get your point. And Torres for Castro at 2B?

Yanks need a another hitter in the lineup who makes contact while hitting for some sort of average and not striking out too much. I guess ideally a leadoff type, but I think Gardner holds that down well enough for another year. But the team is too boom/bust on offense because it lacks contact hitters who start/keep rallies going when the pitching is better.

I'm not nitpicking, as team scored a lot of runs, offense is good, future is bright. But that contact/average hitter would make the offense more playoff legit. I guess the hope is Torres is that guy and Florial adds the speed at leadoff in a few years.

I guess the other upgrade path is Frazier beats out Hicks and Hicks remains as 4th OF?
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7292 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 am

Did Yanks lose any games at home the entire playoffs? Face it, Yankees were much better team at home. It was like two different teams.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7293 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:44 am

poeman wrote:Castro was awful on 2nd base not sure what happened. But i cant give up on him...not sure if Andujar can take over 2nd base. I like Todd Frazier, honestly hoping he resigns and we trade headley

Castro had a very good year but he's not someone I'd keep long term. Never liked his plate approach. Also his conditioning isn't the best and he's too big for second. I'd like to see them put Gleyber at second.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7294 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:45 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I didn't get Sanchez's pitch management during McCann's RBI AB in the 5th inning. I might have missed the first pitch or two of the AB but from the pitch sequence I saw, Sanchez kept calling for inside pitches. My thought was that you don't want to pitch McCann inside where he can get a hold of one and do some damage (which is what happened). You want to keep it over or just off the outside part of the plate to start off the AB and see if you can get him to fish. If you make a mistake, he has to punch it to LF and maybe you prevent that second run from scoring. If you get ahead of him, then bust him with a fastball high and tight. As a general rule, low and inside is the groove spot for a LHH.

Oh well. Too bad. You had a shot this year. Dodgers-Yankees would've been fun. Now you're going to have to keep CC AND obtain at least another starter. Yu Darvish? ... and you gotta hope Tanaka's elbow holds up again next season. Of course, you never know what's going to happen with injuries from year to year.

Spoken like a true Mets fan. You guys always have that neurosis/negativity underneath.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
bishnykfan

Post#7295 » by bishnykfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Assuming CC resigns for a year and Tanaka opts in, the Yankees have their staff for next year. Severino/Gray/Tanaka/CC/Montgomery with Chance Adams as their swing #6 injury replacement guy. They won't have the money to sign someone and stay under the luxury tax unless Cashman gets real creative and moves a few guys (Ellsbury, Headley, Castro, Betances etc).

MaseInYourFace wrote:

Castro had a very good year but he's not someone I'd keep long term. Never liked his plate approach. Also his conditioning isn't the best and he's too big for second. I'd like to see them put Gleyber at second.

I agree. I'd look to move Castro too. His defense was awful in the playoffs and I hate the way that he approaches his at bats. He was hurt for a lot of the year and is the most replaceable guy for Torres to step right in. I think Torres will start the year in AAA so Castro will probably come back for another year, but I don't think he fits long term so if they could get something for him, I'd move him in a heartbeat.
All-Time Draft

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#7296 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Take a look at this..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/new-york-yankees-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

That's a possible $90M off the books. Pretty sure that T. Frazier, Holliday, Garcia, and Pineda are gone. Andujar and Torres will be given chances to make the team. Not sure if C.C. returns because he's only a 4 inning pitcher now. If Torres progresses, Castro could be moved for assets. If Clint Frazier progresses, Gardiner can be moved also for more assets. Pitching is the biggest problem since the FA market for pitchers just plain sucks. I think the Yanks see if Adams and some others pitchers not named Mitchell make the team. Bright future.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
bishnykfan

Post#7297 » by bishnykfan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:04 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Take a look at this..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/new-york-yankees-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

That's a possible $90M off the books. Pretty sure that T. Frazier, Holliday, Garcia, and Pineda are gone. Andujar and Torres will be given chances to make the team. Not sure if C.C. returns because he's only a 4 inning pitcher now. If Torres progresses, Castro could be moved for assets. If Clint Frazier progresses, Gardiner can be moved also for more assets. Pitching is the biggest problem since the FA market for pitchers just plain sucks. I think the Yanks see if Adams and some others pitchers not named Mitchell make the team. Bright future.

Yeah, Holliday, Garcia and Pineda are gone for sure. I could see them bringing Frazier back on a short term deal if he gives them any kind of hometown discount. Or if they are able to move Headley (doubtful) then I could see them bringing him back. If CC comes back then they will need to add a pitcher. I could see Frazier taking Hicks spot or them maybe buying out Ellsbury (doubtful) but I don't see them moving Gardner. They will have about $75M coming off the books with ARod, CC, Holliday, Pineda and the prorated portions of Garcia and Frazier. They will also need to give pretty significant raises to a few of their arbitration eligible guys (Didi, Gray, Betences).

I think moving at least one of Headley, Ellsbury, or Castro will really help them moving forward. Betences and Hicks IMO could go too. Cashman has built an incredibly bright future. This offseason will be very interesting to say the least. He will really have to be creative to find a way to add a few missing pieces while cutting as much payroll as he wants to.
All-Time Draft

Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#7298 » by Apples » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

3b - but get your point. And Torres for Castro at 2B?

Yanks need a another hitter in the lineup who makes contact while hitting for some sort of average and not striking out too much. I guess ideally a leadoff type, but I think Gardner holds that down well enough for another year. But the team is too boom/bust on offense because it lacks contact hitters who start/keep rallies going when the pitching is better.

I'm not nitpicking, as team scored a lot of runs, offense is good, future is bright. But that contact/average hitter would make the offense more playoff legit. I guess the hope is Torres is that guy and Florial adds the speed at leadoff in a few years.

I guess the other upgrade path is Frazier beats out Hicks and Hicks remains as 4th OF?

Torres & Andújar
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7299 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:09 pm

bishnykfan wrote:[Assuming CC resigns for a year and Tanaka opts in, the Yankees have their staff for next year. Severino/Gray/Tanaka/CC/Montgomery with Chance Adams as their swing #6 injury replacement guy. They won't have the money to sign someone and stay under the luxury tax unless Cashman gets real creative and moves a few guys (Ellsbury, Headley, Castro, Betances etc)

Whether CC re-signs or not and Tanaka opts-in or not, I fully expect Cashman to look at bringing in Shohei Otani. The amount of money a team can spend on international free agents under 25 does mean Yanks will have some competition, but it also means you can't rule out a team that's trying to get under the luxury tax like the Yankees.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only big name the Yankees go after in the offseason whether they get him or not.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#7300 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Still cant believe its over.

Kind of hated the way we went down in game 7. All I wanted was to be competitive, but we kind of really werent last night. Absolutely shut down and really made any threat to score in 1 inning.

But obviously, im proud of the team. Need to mature and develop good habits at the plate, and learn to play on the road. This team looked drastically different on the road. This series felt like an NBA home court advantage. I bet all home teams winning their home games in a full 7 game series has rarely happened.

Tough ending, but a fantastic season.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015

Return to New York Knicks