ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7561 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7562 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 am

Yeah, I could care less how many homers he hits. I'm more interested in adding another young fresh arm to the rotation. I HATED that comment, comparing him to Justin Verlander. If this kid can give the Yanks 15 wins,he's a great investment at that price. Everything else is a bonus.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#7563 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/scouts-are-conflicted-on-what-shohei-ohtanis-plan-should-be/

It's obvious that the Yanks are "all in " on Ohtani. I think they will visit a "limited" DH and PH role with him if he's signed. This might push out CC but we DO want to win the WS this year.

The Braves thing with the International players being FAs is interesting also. Don't be surprised if the Yanks land one or two of them as insurance for the future.

Let's also see how they deal with Gardiner, Headley and Ellsbury. Odds are one will be gone. Most of us hope it's Headley so we can see if Andujar is for real. And don't be surprised if Castro is dealt before the summer trading deadline if Torres pans out. Castro has very good trading value (buy low sell high) presently.

As the article points out, all the stars are aligned for the Yanks. As John Sterling always says, if you have a good starting pitcher every day, you have a chance to win every day. That being said...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#7564 » by awy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:42 pm

maitan apparently got fat.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7565 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:35 am

So is Meulens the favorite for manager?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#7566 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:So is Meulens the favorite for manager?

Too early to say.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7567 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/scouts-are-conflicted-on-what-shohei-ohtanis-plan-should-be/

It's obvious that the Yanks are "all in " on Ohtani. I think they will visit a "limited" DH and PH role with him if he's signed. This might push out CC but we DO want to win the WS this year.

The Braves thing with the International players being FAs is interesting also. Don't be surprised if the Yanks land one or two of them as insurance for the future.

Let's also see how they deal with Gardiner, Headley and Ellsbury. Odds are one will be gone. Most of us hope it's Headley so we can see if Andujar is for real. And don't be surprised if Castro is dealt before the summer trading deadline if Torres pans out. Castro has very good trading value (buy low sell high) presently.

As the article points out, all the stars are aligned for the Yanks. As John Sterling always says, if you have a good starting pitcher every day, you have a chance to win every day. That being said...

Well he's younger, cheaper than CC Sabbathia...I say that not to spite CC but rather to somberly talk about the politics of sports. IF...this kid's hitting is the real deal, he can DH on the days he's not pitching, which is unreal. For now, I am hoping the Yanks get another quality arm. I really am beginning to like this rotation of power and finesse.

I just don't know who is going to manage this team...

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,355

Post#7568 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 am

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#7569 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#7570 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:

Can we still re-sign CC if we get Otani ? I think it's best we go in with 6 starters because Tanaka constantly needs 6 days rest and Sabathia will likely need rest at some point in the season as well, CC can also be a reliever when a starter gets taken out early.

I hope the Yanks can land Otani and the Braves top prospect guy.

It won't be hard to get rid of Headley, he performed well this year and in the playoffs. Ellsburry has to go, Yanks just need to suck it up and eat most of his contract but he can't come back next year, its not enough room for his below average play.

I agree on Castro as well, he was playing lights out before he got hurt and he still played decent enough and his contract is great, he shouldn't be hard to get rid of either but I think the Yanks hang on to him until the trade deadline of this year maybe or until after Spring training to see how well the young bucks do.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,697

Post#7571 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 am

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:So is Meulens the favorite for manager?

Too early to say.

Whoever you bring in, it looks like it's going to be a rookie manager. That's a very precarious position to put such a candidate in especially in light of excellent job Girardi did in getting this team to overachieve this past season.

It'll be very interesting (at least from an outsider's POV) to see how this plays out. I have my doubts about not resigning Joe. I would've thought that Cashman would've already had his man in place before making his decision on Joe.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#7572 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:03 am

Someone on another board somewhere else suggested that the Yanks hire Watson from IBM to manage the team.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#7573 » by moocow007 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:14 pm

awy wrote:maitan apparently got fat.

Did he? Interesting. In any case, still likely worth it.

And apparently in Maitan's case, teams can actually use either the 2017-2018 OR their 2018-2019 bonus money for international amateur free agents (per Jason Cohen of SB Nation). So that potentially means they Yankees could sign both Otani (who would have to be signed using 2017-2018 money allotment) AND Maitain (presumably using their 2018-2019 money).
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#7574 » by moocow007 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Muelens apparently speaks Japanese (at least enough to hold conversations). So that may give him a minor advantage.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7575 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

It'd be nice if the Yankees get a Christmas present w/o giving up any highly touted minor league prospects. Ohtani would be that gift BUT not sure if hiring a manager is one step too far...then again, I think the Yankees want a money ball manager. Otherwise, Joe G would still be skipper.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,697

Post#7576 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:Muelens apparently speaks Japanese (at least enough to hold conversations). So that may give him a minor advantage.

Yikes. I can see Cashman's put a lot of thought into this. :noway:
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#7577 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Joe Girardi is available. We should call him.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7578 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Continuing to get a bad vibe about this manager thing...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,355

Post#7579 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm more concerned Seattle nabs Otani than the manager thing
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#7580 » by Phish Tank » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:58 pm