ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,568

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7661 » by bishnykfan » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:01 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
So what was the case with Bernie Williams? Because the Yanks traded Gus Williams because he was basically hazing Bernie.

Seemed to be a tough enough guy and had a really good career. Or was Bernie under the "these days" umbrella?

I mean, personally I favor the days where baseball players boozed all night and took speed the next day to stay awake/hand eye coordination, but that's me.

Oh, and the 80's and 90's where they snorted copious amounts of blow.

Though I'm most fond of:
;t=2s

I believe it was Oscar Gamble who hazed Bernie and it was Gerald Williams who checked Oscar.

Btw, that Dock Ellis animation is one of my favorite videos. HarthorneWingo gives is 5 stars.

Gamble I think is too early for Bernie; they are offset by 10 years. Oscar and Walt Williams (he of the no neck) may have been teammates. As, it was Gerald Williams. I know the name was with a G*

Oscar Gamble was gone before Bernie was around. Gerald and Bernie were very good friends. There was no Gus Williams. The player that hazed and really got on Bernie when he was young was Mel Hall.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#7662 » by reub » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:04 am

Our press here really sucks and costs us a lot of chances to land big name players. Why would someone want to come here just to be lampooned by these types?
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,394

Post#7663 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:09 am

You want to know who's laughing right now...Derek Jeter. Cashman trades Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith from the Yankees to the Marlins For Michael King and Int’l Bonus Pool Money. Jeter's first fleecing of Cashman of many in the future. Cooper could have been the Yanks DH and backup first baseman. Guy can hit. And we get a guy that will never play for us and come up empty on chicken Ohtani. SMH
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7664 » by Mecca » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:10 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:You want to know who's laughing right now...Derek Jeter. Cashman trades Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith From Yankees to the Marlins For Michael King and Int’l Bonus Pool Money. Jeter's first fleecing of Cashman of many in the future. Cooper could have been the Yanks DH and backup first baseman. Guy can hit. And we get a guy that will never play for us and come up empty on chicken Ohtani. SMH

Meh, we needed space on the 40 man roster anyway.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#7665 » by Phish Tank » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:32 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:You want to know who's laughing right now...Derek Jeter. Cashman trades Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith from the Yankees to the Marlins For Michael King and Int’l Bonus Pool Money. Jeter's first fleecing of Cashman of many in the future. Cooper could have been the Yanks DH and backup first baseman. Guy can hit. And we get a guy that will never play for us and come up empty on chicken Ohtani. SMH

huh?

That's not a fleece. We had to get rid of players on the 40 man. Cooper was one of them. And no one will cry over Caleb Smith.

Since we have $3.5M in signing bonuses, we'll end up swiping Kevin Maitan and probably a few other top IFAs.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#7666 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:36 am

I think you both are underrating Cooper. Smith I don't care about.
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#7667 » by Phish Tank » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:40 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:I think you both are underrating Cooper. Smith I don't care about.

Cooper's numbers were significantly inflated from being in the hitter-friendly PCL in AAA and played home games in Colorado. There's a reason the Brewers gave him up only for an average AAA pitcher.

Not really sure how he will translate in the majors
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7668 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:31 am

Phish Tank wrote:
Read on Twitter

sigh

Yeah. To me, it would have been nice to add a new flavor for the Yankees but it doesn't bother me. Mostly because Ohtani brings more question marks than sure things.

For example, Hideki Matsui was one of my favorite Yankees but "Godzilla" hit only 30+ homers ONCE. That didn't diminish his value as a Yankee. He was a great clubhouse guy, professional, no less important to that team but became a different kind of hitter in MLB. I'll be shocked if Ohtani comes close to his Japanese hitting numbers in the first few seasons as a MLBer.

The other question is, how many innings can he go? Kuroda was one of the steadiest arms in MLB. That is by far one of the smaller sample exceptions than the rule.

Again, I saw the 60 minutes special on him...and I think he's good but can he be great? The answer is closer to a hopeful "maybe" than a "OMG yes."
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#7669 » by Papi_swav » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:58 am

It sucks not getting him, would be cool to see a pitcher-hitter here... I can't see why he would go to a NL team if he wants to hit. I believe he's going to the Mariners , but then again they already have Cruz at DH and it might be hard for him to hit in that park. As long as he's not in our division I'm ok . Now lets focus on these Braves prospects.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#7670 » by Oscirus » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:09 am

GIMME_DATT wrote:Cashman said that Ohtani’s reps told him they were very impressed with team’s presentation, but no matter how good it was, the Yankees couldn’t make themselves West Coast or a smaller market.

Sounds like someone scared of the bright lights and media

Sounds like Cashman trying to cover his ass. He's been slacking lately.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#7671 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:06 am

bishnykfan wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I believe it was Oscar Gamble who hazed Bernie and it was Gerald Williams who checked Oscar.

Btw, that Dock Ellis animation is one of my favorite videos. HarthorneWingo gives is 5 stars.

Gamble I think is too early for Bernie; they are offset by 10 years. Oscar and Walt Williams (he of the no neck) may have been teammates. As, it was Gerald Williams. I know the name was with a G*

Oscar Gamble was gone before Bernie was around. Gerald and Bernie were very good friends. There was no Gus Williams. The player that hazed and really got on Bernie when he was young was Mel Hall.

Yep, my bad. It was Mel Hall, not Oscar.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#7672 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:08 am

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Any Ohtani rumors?

Yes, the Mets are interested. :lol:

That's like the 3rd alternate on the chess club being interested in the head cheerleader isn't it? :lol:

:rofl2:

Welcome to the chess club.

Have a great week. :D
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#7673 » by Oscirus » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:50 am

[img]
Read on Twitter
/photo/1[/img]
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#7674 » by Sark » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:23 am

I hope he does this during the season.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7675 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:34 pm

I hated that Daily News headline. It really makes New York look petty and unprofessional to the Japanese.

There's nothing wrong with saying, you're not ready for a high profile team like the New York Yankees. It's NOT for everyone. I'm not going to go out there and tell anyone that NYC is this magical place where it's better than anywhere else on the planet. It's the greatest feeling in the world, finding SUCCESS in NYC because the odds are stacked so much against you. But again, not everyone is up to the challenge.

I wish Ohtani success. It wouldn't surprise me if Cashman lied about "big market" phobia and goes to the Dodgers.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#7676 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:27 am

Mm...the media really likes Aaron Boone. They make him sound like Steve Kerr
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#7677 » by GEOLINK » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:58 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:You want to know who's laughing right now...Derek Jeter. Cashman trades Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith from the Yankees to the Marlins For Michael King and Int’l Bonus Pool Money. Jeter's first fleecing of Cashman of many in the future. Cooper could have been the Yanks DH and backup first baseman. Guy can hit. And we get a guy that will never play for us and come up empty on chicken Ohtani. SMH

I’m sorry, I had no idea either one of those two were anything to cry over.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#7678 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Dec 5, 2017 10:50 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I hated that Daily News headline. It really makes New York look petty and unprofessional to the Japanese.

There's nothing wrong with saying, you're not ready for a high profile team like the New York Yankees. It's NOT for everyone. I'm not going to go out there and tell anyone that NYC is this magical place where it's better than anywhere else on the planet. It's the greatest feeling in the world, finding SUCCESS in NYC because the odds are stacked so much against you. But again, not everyone is up to the challenge.

I wish Ohtani success. It wouldn't surprise me if Cashman lied about "big market" phobia and goes to the Dodgers.

Sounds like he's going to the Mariners. Ask Robbie Don't Ya Know how tough that media market is? They are more concerned about the Sounders.

On another note, I wonder if the written exam had the question...

9. Would you sign Yu Darvish to your team?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#7679 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Dec 5, 2017 11:03 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I hated that Daily News headline. It really makes New York look petty and unprofessional to the Japanese.

We know you hate Cashman but it's in multiple papers that Blowtani wants to play for a team that trains in Arizona (why, I don't know, other than here was there as a guest) and a west coast or small market team.

Every team left trains in Arizona for spring training. Otani is just a different sort of guy, in the head, I guess.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7680 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:25 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
We know you hate Cashman but it's in multiple papers that Blowtani wants to play for a team that trains in Arizona (why, I don't know, other than here was there as a guest) and a west coast or small market team.

Every team left trains in Arizona for spring training. Otani is just a different sort of guy, in the head, I guess.

Brian Cashman doesn't have a good reputation in Japan despite Hideki Matsui who actively advocates for the Yankees (please do yourself a favor and go to the Japan Baseball Hall of Fame in Tokyo).

Why you ask? Well Cashman got word from Mike Hargrove then manager of the Seattle how much of a diva, Ichiro Suzuki was. So Cashman HAD Ichiro sign these clauses which allowed the Yankees to move him around the outfield as need be AND bat him in any part of the order....vs Seattle front office who kowtowed to Ichiro and MADE Hargrove keep him at lead off and whichever position he wanted to play.

Now, I am a skeptic because Ohtani's reps said, he didn't want in a Big Market City. He preferred to be the Big Fish in a little pond BUT he contradicted himself by mentioning big cities like San Francisco and LA Dodgers are among the cities in contention.

I get the sense he's a little big of a diva but DEEP down, he knows NYC is the highest level of competition and expectations. He has no leverage if he goes there.

So It's a little of A and a little of exhibit B.

I think he'll fine as a pitcher but as a hitter, I'll be surprised if he hits more than 20.

Return to New York Knicks