ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#81 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat May 28, 2016 4:22 pm

levendis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
levendis wrote:
To be honest though what the Mets do don't really concern me. The Mets are going to have to do a lot to surpass the Yankees as a better franchise. I also don't care which team is "NY's team;" why would I care as to who the bandwagon fans are rooting for? David Wright is one of my favorite players, dude deserves some team success for all he's gone through injury wise. On the other hand, I hate everyone on the Red Sox.

:lol: First of all, those videos were uncalled for.

Who's talking about surpassing the Yankees as a franchise? Not me. There's no way the Mets or any other team can do that in my lifetime. I'm merely talking about the present and the next few years. My comment to the Knicks board Yankee fan was simply to have fun the next 3 years while the Yankees rebuild and all you guys get soooooo defensive.

I'm just saying every news outlet poses the question as to whether this is a Yankees or Mets town. My response is that it doesn't really matter. Yeah the Mets are going to be (and already are) really good these next couple of years. I've picked them to win the WS this year. As a Yankee fan I can't be upset with their mediocre play the past couple of years (last year was fun though). They've been winning consistently since 95, at some point it was going to have to end. I honestly hope they do a full rebuild instead of patching little things up and playing around .500 ball for the year.

Well, what you're saying is different than what I was saying. lol.

The Yankees will be fine in a few years. You need to shed those huge contracts and rebuild the farm system. Gone are the days when George would simply open up his wallet and just outspend every other team for the best talent available in order to improve the team. The Yanks need to develop pitching depth in their minor league system and you can really only do that through the draft or trading away pieces at the trade deadline to teams competing for the playoffs. This particular FO doesn't appear to have the appetite incurring luxury tax fees.
Free Palestine
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#82 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat May 28, 2016 4:58 pm

The farm system is fine. We're doing a good job of rebuilding, while still playing competitive baseball.
Imageceltics
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#83 » by Papi_swav » Sat May 28, 2016 8:43 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Yanks really need to add another starting pitcher. I think it's best to send down Severino to the minors and let Nova fill in for him. Need to get out of that Elsberry contract somehow even if we have to eat some millions. Would love to keep the three headed monster in the bullpen for the next few years. We also need a 3b because headley sucks, think we should just give refsnyder a try, atleast he can hit.

I looked at the upcoming free agents and there's not much going on. Yanks will have to look to trade market to add good players, might as well give these young guys a shot.

Severino came out of his last start with an injury. He pitched very poorly that start maybe cuz of the injury. I believe he's still on DL. He's had some struggles but prior to that last start he had he put together 4 or 5 strong starts in a row with low run support. Unless there is a mechanics issue he should stay in the bigs. Pinefa is the guy that is really the problem. He's supposed to be a borderline ace.

I'm in favor of giving refsnyder a shot, but his problem is that he doesn't have a real position. His best shot might be moving him around between infield and outfield as a utility guy to hide his weaknesses defensively.

Yea Pineda too, he's getting rocked right now in the first inning. Either way we still need another innings eater starter , not sure who's available but we need someone. Mets got Loney for barely anything, hope we can make the same low risk move for a pitcher.

You're right about Ref, not sure where to put him because he is shaky in the infield. Headley was horrible last year but he's been solid so far on the defensive side. Ref is in a tough spot
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#84 » by GIMME_DATT » Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Pineda is so bad, he needs to be taken out the rotation. How many games can they allow him lose for them in the 1st inning? It's a battle of who can be more terrible between him and Harvey.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#85 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 pm

The farm system sucks. End of story. The LAST starting pitcher to come out of the farm system was a guy named, Andy Pettitte. The latest 2 pitch phenom following the legacy of Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, and Joba Chamberlain...Luis Severino is 0-6 ERA 7.46 after last season where he went 5-3 ERA 2.89.

Want to know how hard it is to find starting pitching?

Tim Linceum was once deemed untouchable, now fighting for his career in AAA with the Angels after 108 career wins. Roll the clocks back to 2010 and this kid was once considered the next Pedro Martinez. Not any more.

Refsnyder will never be given a shot. Cash doesn't like him. That's why last season they NEVER gave him last 3rd of the season at 2B. Cash went out and got Castro. Also Cash couldn't help re-signing Headley to $13M per season to hit a little over .200. So in this sea of hitters hitting low to middle .200 and paid double digit million dollar contracts...the farm CAN'T be THAT good.
boogeydown
Rookie
And1: 18

Post#86 » by boogeydown » Sun May 29, 2016 4:23 am

Our last great hitting prospect Jesus Montero forgot how to hit when he got the Seattle and now Pineda has forgotten how to pitch. Come trade deadline time I would part with Carlos Beltran. I was hoping we would target Strassburg this offseason but he already resigned with the Nationals. Texiera is a free agent who I would actually bring back on a cheap 1 year deal. His defense is to valuable. Ackley sucks but his contract is up to seasons end. Next year I would play Bird and Judge as starters and have Gary Sanchez as a backup to gain the experience and next free agency go all in on Bryce Harper, we should have money to spend with A rod and Sabbathia dropping off.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#87 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 pm

In April 2015, former Red Sawx/Met pitcher Pedro Martinez talked up Michael Pineda, predicting he was on the verge of a break out season! Pedro also downplayed Tanaka, pretty much calling the kid average.

At season's end, 2015:

Pineda: 12-10 ERA 4.37
Tanaka: 12-7 ERA 3.51

This season, so far...

Pineda 2-6 ERA: 6.92
Tanaka: 3-0 (3 no decisions) ERA: 2.89

Once again, GM Brian Cashman has NEVER been a player, a scout, or a manager on ANY level of baseball. He's a lawyer by trade, so he takes the word of the scouts. He HAS to. He doesn't know how to evaluate a player unless it's based on numbers...

Cash didn't want Tanaka, he was forced by the front office to sign him.

Keep in mind, Cashman thought the cheaper Kei Igawa would put up similar numbers to match the Red Sox's Dice-K. Sure, the price the Sawx paid never equaled the quality performance but Dice-K got them one ring while Igawa was paid $15M to throw batting practice for the Yanks AAA club.

STATS won't show that Pineda's delivery was what ultimately led to his torn labrum. IF you remember when Pedro pitched with that injury, he lost his ability to maintain the wicked velocity on his pitches.

But ok, what is the difference in a GM that knows how to scout?

A kid named Mariano Rivera who had recently recovered from Tommy John Surgery was set to be traded to the Detroit Tigers.

Then former player, former scout, and temporary in charge of the front office of the Yanks Gene "Stick" Michael gets a phone call that this kid Rivera is hitting 96 mph on the radar gun. Stick says, "I scouted this kid, his top is 88 mph. Get a new gun." Guy does, and the numbers continue to dial up. Stick gets out of bed and flies down to Florida. Watches Mo and says, "Call Detroit. Deal's off."

Cash can't make those decisions. He looks at numbers, video tape, sabermetrics and then signs a cheque.

"Bean Counter" Hal is worried about costs, never mind the tickets to watch this mediocre team are still VERY expensive. Heck, the Yankees are CALLING their fans asking to buy package tickets...something unheard off when they were a playoff contender.

I love the Yanks but this is turning into an Arthur Miller play...all is not well in the realm. It's not a quick fix. Drafting kids, it takes 2-3 years in the minors (and that's IF they're STELLAR) to make the majors...then 1-2 years MORE to become a competent player. And again, that's IF every thing goes right.

First thing's first. Time to say goodbye to Beltran, Tex and CC. Time to buy out A-Rod. That's nearly $70M PER Season off the payroll.

And let's turn this franchise around.
iAdoreeKnicks
Analyst
And1: 5,105

Post#88 » by iAdoreeKnicks » Sun May 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Our offense is terrible. No hitter so far through 6 for Odorizzi? Laughable.
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#89 » by StephNYKurry » Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Castro with a crush job on a 1-0 fastball

No hitter gone...Shut out gone...Lead gone

Big boys waiting in the wings.

Should be a nice series win for the boys going into to the DOT.
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#90 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon May 30, 2016 12:31 pm

And that's it. The Yanks only had ONE hit in the game against the Rays, it was a 2 run homer. Yanks just eeked out a win and took the series vs the Rays.

Now onto Toronto where the Blue Jays defeated the team's pitching at Yankee stadium.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#91 » by moocow007 » Thu Jun 2, 2016 6:27 pm

And swept by the Jays. Hitting is pretty much none existent. For a lineup that is pretty much filled up with "veterans" you'd think that they'd be able to handle pressure and not all choke further and further into stinkitude?

Trade off everyone you can (other than Castro and Gregorius) for whatever assets you can, stink it out to (FINALLY) land a top prospect in the draft and then work from there.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#92 » by JXL » Thu Jun 2, 2016 6:33 pm

Still waiting until after All-Star break, but this is not a good team at all. No one is hitting over .270, our rotation is shaky and inconsistent as hell, and we still have another year of A-Rod's overrated self under contract.

But that 3-headed hydra that is our closers: :droop:
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#93 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jun 2, 2016 8:53 pm

A-Rod will probably retire after this season. Yanks still have to pay him but I don't think his final year will count against the luxury tax. Ellsbury contract, which is similar to A-Rod's numbers per season still has something like 5 more seasons. A bag of glass has more durability. Good job Cashman!

The Yankees' offense is predicated on a bunch of mummies in A-Rod/Teixiera/Beltran which is 1/3rd of the offense. Another third consists of Headley, Ackley, and the man who is supposed to make us forget Jeter, Didi Gregorious. Ellsbury and Gardner have good and bad days. The ONLY consistently productive player on the team is McCann.

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Y'know if the Yanks farm system was THAT good, then why don't they bring them up? It's not like they can't do worse than .200-247 BA that are in that order?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#94 » by moocow007 » Sat Jun 4, 2016 6:17 pm

Just trade everyone on the team and rebuild already Cashman you moron. Honestly hard to tell if it's him or Hal that's in the drivers seat.
will34
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,571

Post#95 » by will34 » Sat Jun 4, 2016 6:42 pm

moocow007 wrote:Just trade everyone on the team and rebuild already Cashman you moron. Honestly hard to tell if it's him or Hal that's in the drivers seat.

Hal
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#96 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sun Jun 5, 2016 1:54 am

There's only one thing left to do at a time like this

Imageceltics
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#97 » by Phish Tank » Sun Jun 5, 2016 1:58 am

hal steinbrenner is a cheap bastard. Brian Cashman can't develop talent. Now everyone scared playing in New York. Mentally soft weaklings
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#98 » by Sark » Sun Jun 5, 2016 6:32 am

Teixeira on the DL. Let's pray he never sees the field in pinstripes again.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#99 » by DowNY » Sun Jun 5, 2016 8:15 pm

Wait the years out & sign Trout & Harper to rebuild the franchise.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#100 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 6, 2016 2:30 pm

A few things. You gotta keep in mind that the Yanks' last Dynasty did NOT focus on getting the best player but rather a top 10 player at every position. O'Neill, T. Martinez, Scott Brosius, Chad Curtis, Chuck Knoblach...these guys were never going to be first ballot or even potential Hall of Famers but they were very good and an awesome supporting cast for Jeter, Posada. The pitching was where the Yanks spared no expense getting Cone, Key (1996), Wells to compliment Pettitte...and some kid named Mariano Rivera who was the set up for Wetteland.

Remember when Cash talked about building a championship team with mid-level payroll in 2007, well the wheels came off in 2008 and he went on a spending spree: CC Sabbathia, AJ Burnett, Mark Teixiera to win in 2009. So CLEARLY you can tell Cashman really has NO CLUE how to build a team. On top of that, he can't scout. Again, lawyer by trade.

Return to New York Knicks