ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,638

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1181 » by Lord Commander » Wed May 24, 2017 5:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So when Cespedes comes back, what position does he hit in the order? Third?

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher

Agreed. I think 3rd is reserved for the best hitter. Or, you could experiment with:

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

Feeling nostalgic about that 2006 team that had LoDuca hitting second :)
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1182 » by Mecca » Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So when Cespedes comes back, what position does he hit in the order? Third?

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher

Agreed. I think 3rd is reserved for the best hitter. Or, you could experiment with:

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

that lineup is pretty awful. Neil Walker batting 8th is laughable.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#1183 » by Lord Commander » Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Mecca wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

well, at this point, he's hitting like an 8th place hitter. If/when he starts to hit, you can switch him and D'Arnaut.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,708

Post#1184 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 6:40 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

Ha, we were debating whether Conforto should hit in the 2 or 3 spot in the order. Contemporary thought is put your best hitter in the 2 spot even though many still have them batting 3rd.

I don't think I'm going to be so quick to give d'Arnaud the starting catcher job. Rivera has played really well while Travis was on the DL (again!) and has hit in something like 11 out of 12 games. Plus, his defense is much better.

I can't see hitting Walker 8th. He's starting to really hit now too. I think he's gotten his average back up to around .255.
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#1185 » by Lord Commander » Wed May 24, 2017 6:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

Ha, we were debating whether Conforto should hit in the 2 or 3 spot in the order. Contemporary thought is put your best hitter in the 2 spot even though many still have them batting 3rd.

I don't think I'm going to be so quick to give d'Arnaud the starting catcher job. Rivera has played really well while Travis was on the DL (again!) and has hit in something like 11 out of 12 games. Plus, his defense is much better.

I can't see hitting Walker 8th. He's starting to really hit now too. I think he's gotten his average back up to around .255.

Fair enough on Rivera. Terry might have to stay with the hot hand.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#1186 » by whocares1 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:05 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
Mecca wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

Reyes - SS
D'Arnaut- C
Conforto- CF
Ces - LF
Bruce - RF
Flores - 3B
Duda - 1B
Walker - 2B
Pitcher

well, at this point, he's hitting like an 8th place hitter. If/when he starts to hit, you can switch him and D'Arnaut.

He's batting .324 in May....
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1187 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 pm

whocares1 wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
Mecca wrote:

He's batting .324 in May....

I would even consider hitting Walker 3rd because I just think that Cespedes is such a classic clean-up hitter.

Reyes
Conforto
Walker
Cespedes
Bruce
Flores
Duda
Rivera
Pitcher

But if Duda starts hitting I could go with

Reyes
Conforto
Céspedes
Bruce
Walker
Duda
Flores
Rivera
Pitcher
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1188 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 pm

LOL @ Francesa. He just said that when Cespedes comes back, Conforto will go back to leadoff. WTF? I used to think Mike knew his stuff about baseball. Now I think the only sports he really knows his stuff is football and horse racing. Maybe golf, but I really wouldn't know because I don't golf or watch it.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1189 » by Mecca » Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:LOL @ Francesa. He just said that when Cespedes comes back, Conforto will go back to leadoff. WTF? I used to think Mike knew his stuff about baseball. Now I think the only sports he really knows his stuff is football and horse racing. Maybe golf, but I really wouldn't know because I don't golf or watch it.

MLB lineups are new age now man. Batting him leadoff gets him most AB's and most RBI opportunities. Corey Dickerson bats leadoff.. Charlie Blackmon.. Kyle Schwarber.. get your best hitter the most AB's..
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1190 » by reub » Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:LOL @ Francesa. He just said that when Cespedes comes back, Conforto will go back to leadoff. WTF? I used to think Mike knew his stuff about baseball. Now I think the only sports he really knows his stuff is football and horse racing. Maybe golf, but I really wouldn't know because I don't golf or watch it.

Francesa said the other day that he would take Judge over Conforto. He's a Yankee lover for sure and suffers from recency bias. They'll be lucky if Judge hits .250 the rest of the season and he strikes out less than 150 times. Conforto is a born hitter. His OBP is around .430 and is climbing.

Looking at our lineup, I agree that Cespedes is a cleanup hitter and that we don't have good options at the #2 slot. I'd probably go:

Reyes
Conforto
Walker
Cespedes
Bruce
Flores
Duda/Granderson
Rivera

Walker is a good hitter and bats both ways so he's third for now.

Edit: Hey, I just agreed with Wingo 100%! Great minds think alike.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1191 » by whocares1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

He's honestly right. You need a high on base percentage player in the leadoff spot. He's currently batting in the leadoff spot so it's not like he's going back to doing it either. I kind of like Reyes in the 2 hole. He's a good fastball hitter and he doesn't have the speed he once had to be considered the "leadoff man" just for his speed.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1192 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Mecca wrote:

MLB lineups are new age now man. Batting him leadoff gets him most AB's and most RBI opportunities. Corey Dickerson bats leadoff.. Charlie Blackmon.. Kyle Schwarber.. get your best hitter the most AB's..

But then he's following the shyt end of the line-up. I'd also like to see him in a position to drive in runs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1193 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 pm

ClydeRules wrote:

Francesa said the other day that he would take Judge over Conforto. He's a Yankee lover for sure and suffers from recency bias. They'll be lucky if Judge hits .250 the rest of the season and he strikes out less than 150 times. Conforto is a born hitter. His OBP is around .430 and is climbing.

Looking at our lineup, I agree that Cespedes is a cleanup hitter and that we don't have good options at the #2 slot. I'd probably go:

Reyes
Conforto
Walker
Cespedes
Bruce
Flores
Duda/Granderson
Rivera

Walker is a good hitter and bats both ways so he's third for now.

Edit: Hey, I just agreed with Wingo 100%! Great minds think alike.

:beer:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1194 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm

whocares1 wrote:

He's honestly right. You need a high on base percentage player in the leadoff spot. He's currently batting in the leadoff spot so it's not like he's going back to doing it either. I kind of like Reyes in the 2 hole. He's a good fastball hitter and he doesn't have the speed he once had to be considered the "leadoff man" just for his speed.

That's true, but let me ask you this: would you bat Don Mattingly in the leadoff position? That's who Conforto reminds me off, except with possibly more power. If Jose walked a little more often I think it would an easier decision. I just think that Mike can drive in 100-120 runs if given the opportunity.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1195 » by whocares1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

That's true, but let me ask you this: would you bat Don Mattingly in the leadoff position? That's who Conforto reminds me off, except with possibly more power. If Jose walked a little more often I think it would an easier decision. I just think that Mike can drive in 100-120 runs if given the opportunity.

I've honestly never watched Don Mattingly play so I wouldn't know lol, but I'm thinking Rosario takes over the leadoff spot next season, and Conforto likely bats either second or third.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1196 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 25, 2017 4:38 am

I thought there was a loss last week that I said was the worst loss of the year. Add tonight's game to the list. Horrible pitching management by Terry. Tonight he earned his rap.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1197 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 am

Mets' FO flipping out. Gave Collins a gag order re any injuries involving Mets players. Like that works in NYC? The Wilpons are so clueless. That's gotta come from Jeff. TC is furious about it and released a bunch of info re it from "a source."

Here's the article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-decided-solution-injury-criticism-silence-collins-article-1.3193639
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1198 » by reub » Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm

It's time for Collins to go. We need a shot in the arm and fast. He takes out an effective, underworked Gsellman to put in a terrible bullpen and we all know what happened. Plus this team is fundamentally unsound. They make the third out at third base, don't make contact enough or advance runners, get caught off of base on line drives leading to double plays, run through stop signs, throw to the wrong base, waste far too many pitches when pitching, and don't field well. Plus literally no speed either.

Last night we had bases loaded and no out in the 9th inning against a mediocre pitcher and we couldn't even get a run in to tie the game. Terrible!

Edit: We should "promote" Terry to upper management instead of firing him because he deserves that.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1199 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 25, 2017 3:33 pm

ClydeRules wrote:It's time for Collins to go. We need a shot in the arm and fast. He takes out an effective, underworked Gsellman to put in a terrible bullpen and we all know what happened. Plus this team is fundamentally unsound. They make the third out at third base, don't make contact enough or advance runners, get caught off of base on line drives leading to double plays, run through stop signs, throw to the wrong base, waste far too many pitches when pitching, and don't field well. Plus literally no speed either.

Last night we had bases loaded and no out in the 9th inning against a mediocre pitcher and we couldn't even get a run in to tie the game. Terrible!

Edit: We should "promote" Terry to upper management instead of firing him because he deserves that.

The thing is that we have such a mess in the BP right now, I really don't think it would make a difference. I still think the team plays hard for him. And then who would you replace him with? BTW, if we thought Teufel was a bad 3B coach, this guy Sherlock makes Tim look like Tommy Lasorda.

We have Cespedes, Lugo and Matz coming back soon. I wouldn't make any major changes until we get closer to the ASG. Who knows, maybe we'll make some interesting trades and end up bringing Rosario and Dominic Smith up.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1200 » by reub » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:It's time for Collins to go. We need a shot in the arm and fast. He takes out an effective, underworked Gsellman to put in a terrible bullpen and we all know what happened. Plus this team is fundamentally unsound. They make the third out at third base, don't make contact enough or advance runners, get caught off of base on line drives leading to double plays, run through stop signs, throw to the wrong base, waste far too many pitches when pitching, and don't field well. Plus literally no speed either.

The thing is that we have such a mess in the BP right now, I really don't think it would make a difference. I still think the team plays hard for him. And then who would you replace him with? BTW, if we thought Teufel was a bad 3B coach, this guy Sherlock makes Tim look like Tommy Lasorda.

We have Cespedes, Lugo and Matz coming back soon. I wouldn't make any major changes until we get closer to the ASG. Who knows, maybe we'll make some interesting trades and end up bringing Rosario and Dominic Smith up.

Collins' justification for taking Gsellman out after 88 pitches was that if he struggled in the next inning he would have had to take him out anyway. I'm not kidding. He really said that. Scary!

Return to New York Knicks